• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

University of Miami and FAU

Doc34

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2003
Has anyone here been accepted into the University of Miami but is doing theri first two years in boca at Florida Atlantic University...when I applied they gave me the option and I put w/e campus...I was wondering if those slots were going to be given last after theri main medical school slots were taken.

Thanks

tiresias1007

15+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2003
hello,

what from i understand, the FAU spots are gonna be filled by students who volunteer for them first....and if for some reason they're not all filled, then i think students are gonna be randomly assigned to go there....

About the Ads

LilyMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2004
So you can't apply to FAU directly? Because it's not an up and running med school at this time? Will it ultimately be an independant med school? Will you at least get to pay state tuition for those two years? Otherwise, what's the draw? Why would you want to go to a start-up medical school at a public/state school and pay private tuition? Forgive my ignorance if I have it all wrong, because I really haven't heard anything about this FAU program. Anyone who knows, please educate me on this a little.

maswe12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
From what they said at the interview it seems like they want to split the campuses both under the name of UM. Students at the FAU location would get some lectures of the internet from Miami and vice versa. After 2 years they'd come down to jackson to finish their degree. I personally think this is dumb and dont really see the point of splitting things up but thats just my opinion.

mdsiren

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2004
Florida
The reason that UM is sending students to FAU is because the jewish family that gave FAU a very large endowment to build the new biomedical science building approached UM to strike a deal.

The deal was to send UM students to the biomed center for their first two years and UM would receive a significant amount of money. This information comes from a professor at FAU and former alumni of UMSM that teaches the teachers that are going to teach the medical students. That's a lot of teaching going on. LOL In the end, money is what makes the world go round.

This is not the first year that FAU is joining forces with UM. I believe that this is the second year and that instead of 16 students, they want 32 students to go to Boca. Boca is nice. I've been the the new building as well. It is sweet with lots of new gadgets.

By the way, FAU affectionately stands for (Find Another University) LOL :)

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
LOL at the post right above me. I too have heard that FAU is known as the 3 letter college, meaning that it is one of the worst state universities in the state of Florida.

My friend is from Boca and was the one that told me this.

I would think that they would have a better reputation being part of Miami than having to get new accreditation and become another medical school anyhow.

About the Ads

MabdulD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2003
He did. rhinkley's Occupation is listed as Associate Dean. Hey, at least he's not hiding. I'm sure there are many, many deans or other such admissions people on here with "secret" names. Hi, Dr. Hinkley!!!

avicoo

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2004
Originally posted by gujuDoc
Don't know whom the above posters are referring to, but I'm sure Dr. Hinkley is not reading this board.

There is a new member listed as rhinkley with the occupation of associate dean. Now, I assume someone else might have signed in with this info as a joke, but why would you be sure he wasn't reading this board?

He recommended this site to all applicants and many interviewees.

mosfet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2003
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by drlexygoat
I politely declined the FAU offer from Hinkley. The program is simply too new for me to feel comfortable with it yet. Plus, I'm all about living in Miami.

Hey drlexygoat,
What more did you hear about the program? I interviewed with UM recently and from the info I got about FAU, I definitely don't mind accepting the FAU offer. The classes are small, and above all I am a resident of Palm Beach County, so I live only a 1/2 hour from the FAU campus anyway.

drlexygoat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2003
under the boardwalk, down by the sea
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by mosfet
Hey drlexygoat,
What more did you hear about the program? I interviewed with UM recently and from the info I got about FAU, I definitely don't mind accepting the FAU offer. The classes are small, and above all I am a resident of Palm Beach County, so I live only a 1/2 hour from the FAU campus anyway.

I'm sure the new campus at FAU is marvelous. From what I hear, the facilities are gorgeous and the small class size will certainly be a plus.

For me, however, I'm going to shy away from this brand-new program until kinks are worked out (if there even are any). Chances are, the FAU location will be wonderful. I don't want to be a guinnea pig for a new class, that's all. For those who love the boca area, it seems like a great choice!

I'm not trying to steer people clear of it, I just am a little nervous about heading toward a brand new location that may have a few growing pains.

About the Ads

mlw03

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Canada
  1. Attending Physician
just cuz someone uses the name, don't assume it's really the um dean. i mean, what's stopping me from looking up the dean of admissions for university of X and making up a name that matches that?

Originally posted by mdsiren
mosfet,
A new user signed up today and it seems like Dr. Hinkley to me. Hello Dr. Hinkley! And many administrators look at this website. Whoever wrote that is right.

MabdulD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2003
Originally posted by mlw03
just cuz someone uses the name, don't assume it's really the um dean. i mean, what's stopping me from looking up the dean of admissions for university of X and making up a name that matches that?

Yeah, but if it was farce, wouldn't the person actually post something? Rather than depend on the off chance that somebody would actually notice the whole "Welcome to Our Newest Member thing..."? It was probably a 1 in 10 chance that anyone would even see that.

To search, you need to be a member. Maybe Dr. Hinkley got wind of some of the controversies on here, and wanted to see what was up. Viva la search engine.

Lab-Rat21

Big Pimpin'Spendin' CHEEZ
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2003
Western blotting...
It is well known that some administrators read this website, ie USF incident of 2002...

But to do it so outright is FUNNY! LOL!

By the way, mdsiren, if you get in at any of your waitlisted schools you can look back and laugh and see that you really benefitted from U. Miami's rejection...you will likely get in off a waitlist...:D

I am laughing to this day!!!:D woot woot!

zinjanthropus

15+ Year Member
May 31, 2003
FL
www.facebook.com
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by Lab-Rat21
It is well known that some administrators read this website, ie USF incident of 2002...

But to do it so outright is FUNNY! LOL!

By the way, mdsiren, if you get in at any of your waitlisted schools you can look back and laugh and see that you really benefitted from U. Miami's rejection...you will likely get in off a waitlist...:D

I am laughing to this day!!!:D woot woot!

USF incident of 2002???

mdsiren

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2004
Florida
Thanks Lab Rat,
I am waiting for those damn waitlists to move. However, I was offered an interview at UM and declined their invitation.
Oh! and it was by pure chance that I noticed the "welcome our newest member......." if any of you are wondering. I am not sitting by my computer, waiting for a chance to put down UM and their administrators. If it is him, then I think that it is great that he wants to join this forum. His input would be appreciated by many and he could answer some burning questions some individuals have. USF 2002...I gotta look that up.

mlw03

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Canada
  1. Attending Physician
come on... ya gotta give us more of a hint than that? which forum should we search? what other search words should we use? doing a search for usf in the pre-allo or allo forum is gonna give a ton of results, so please give us some help.

Originally posted by Lab-Rat21
Yes, do a search, on USF and you may find out...I cannot say more...but do a search...

If anyone has some other juicy SDN gossip stories lead me to them, I can do a search too!:p

zinjanthropus

15+ Year Member
May 31, 2003
FL
www.facebook.com
  1. Attending Physician
somebody posted some complaints regarding the USF secondary...somebody else figured out who this person was and printed out the complaints and the thread that followed. that person took the print-out to the adcom at USF. original complainer was called in by his professor who knew the adcoms. prof showed him/her the printout. complainer apologized to dean. complainer later interviewed and was waitlisted.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.