University of Miami c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know what the best way to find housing is? I was planning on coming down to miami next week to look, are there any people or service that will show me around?

I'd suggest going on craigslist, doing a search for brickell or whatever location and limiting the search to title only. Select the # of bedrooms as well and look for buildings that are in your price range. If you don't select to just search in the title you'll get every real estate post because real estate agents list every location work in. Once you have an idea of places you like, call them to see if you can come in without a real estate agent (some of them you can, some of them you can't) or if you need to make an appointment (axis for example). Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

I am living in Coral Gables (quieter and further away from the city) and am moving there this week. Will anyone else be around the area this summer? I would love to meet some of my new classmates.
Also, I started a Facebook group for our class, if anyone is interested in joining :)

I am living in Coral Gables (quieter and further away from the city) and am moving there this week. Will anyone else be around the area this summer? I would love to meet some of my new classmates.
Also, I started a Facebook group for our class, if anyone is interested in joining :)

I'm probably moving there on the 1st of July. Unless I find something I like better. I was checking out biscayne blvd this afternoon. I'd be all over that place if it wasn't so far from campus.:( I think I'm going to give Gables a serious look this upcoming weekend.

PM me a link to the facebook page.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey I'll be back in Miami around mid june, I'd be down for doing whatever. Also, there's been a facebook group up with lots of ppl in it already.

Any nontrads (or trads!) in LTRs that want to meet other couples? Sort of a medical school widows club? :)

Also, go to the matriculation thread (in my sig file) and put your name on the Miami group!

I've noticed some decently priced 1bdrs close to Jackson on the Miami River. I am not from Miami so I have no idea if this area is ok or not. Other than Brickell what are some good areas to look in?

I'm probably moving there on the 1st of July. Unless I find something I like better. I was checking out biscayne blvd this afternoon. I'd be all over that place if it wasn't so far from campus.:( I think I'm going to give Gables a serious look this upcoming weekend.

PM me a link to the facebook page.

Not sure what PM means (not too good with computer stuff), but you should be able to find it on a group search for Miami Class of 2013 (and MD/PhD)...

I've noticed some decently priced 1bdrs close to Jackson on the Miami River. I am not from Miami so I have no idea if this area is ok or not. Other than Brickell what are some good areas to look in?

I'd look in Coral Gables also. Maybe Pinecrest if you can get a good deal. There are some really nice places on Biscayne blvd for good prices but it's 20-25 min away from school.

Neighborhoods to stay far far away from: Opa Locka, Overtown, Little Haiti, Little Havana

For all other areas, you really can't base your decision just off the name of the area. You'd have to visit.

I'd look in Coral Gables also. Maybe Pinecrest if you can get a good deal. There are some really nice places on Biscayne blvd for good prices but it's 20-25 min away from school.

Neighborhoods to stay far far away from: Opa Locka, Overtown, Little Haiti, Little Havana

For all other areas, you really can't base your decision just off the name of the area. You'd have to visit.

Pinecrest? wow, unless you live on the north edge right across from the metro, good luck with the drive. during traffic i can guarantee 30+ min each way.

Pinecrest? wow, unless you live on the north edge right across from the metro, good luck with the drive. during traffic i can guarantee 30+ min each way.

You've never seen me drive then:smuggrin:. In any case, I'd take safety over a long commute each and every day.

Agreed. Unless you are living with parents Pinecrest is a little excessive.

Best bet is anywhere right by a metro stop or Brickell, South Beach

You've never seen me drive then:smuggrin:. In any case, I'd take safety over a long commute each and every day.

Lol, then you don't know about pinecrest police. pull you over for going 5 mph over and call for backup. ive driven through there for the past 5+ years. Most of miami is actually pretty safe, it's not as bad as people make it out to be. pinecrest does have some pretty nice places to live, just commute is one giant hassle.

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if any of you have received any diversity and/or need-based scholarships from UM? If you have, how long did it take for the financial aid office to get back to you after submitting the scholarship application? Thanks!

hey guys, i was just wondering if any of you are planning on living in Axis at Brickell this fall?

also, can anyone answer my question about scholarships (see above)?

thanks -

Last edited:
For those of you who got accepted at Miami main campus, how many of you came off the alternate list? When did you get off the alternate list? I'm getting pretty anxious since the next application cycle is going to start very soon and I've heard nothing (wait listed last week of April).

For those of you who got accepted at Miami main campus, how many of you came off the alternate list? When did you get off the alternate list? I'm getting pretty anxious since the next application cycle is going to start very soon and I've heard nothing (wait listed last week of April).
I was wailisted in December I believe and got the call on May 15th.