University of Miami-Gas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc34

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how they rank among other residencies? Is anyone in heare in the program?

Members don't see this ad.

You mean the University of Miami Program thats affiliated with jackson memorial hospital? I just like miami.

I just matched there.

It was my number one choice. I heard some mixed things about the program, but when I went down there for the interview I was quite impressed. Grant it the program has had some probs in the past, but most of my fears, concerns and trepidations were answered directly and honestly......by the CHAIRMAN!

The chair has a ton of energy, and it seems to really be carrying through the entire program.

Plus they had a sweet intern year IMO. The location worked for lots of different reasons thus I ranked them #1 and I matched.

As far as where they fall in the competitive/prestigous column I am not sure, but honestly I dont care. I think coming out this prgram you will not only be prepared for private/fellowship/academic medicine but for the world. I mean the place is as diverse in more ways than one as you can possible imagine, I look at it as an advantage to be able to learn a little spanish, creole, etc... and see all there is to see from the largest county hospital in the country.

just my .02

Members don't see this ad :)
when i interviewed there a couple of years ago , their program was in shambles and the resident worked like dogs. the facilaties are big but not so impressive and dilapidated

Very constructive ampa....You'll come out of there well trained. I spoke with one of the residents over there and he basically said that its large, somewhat disorganized due to sheer size, and lots of CRNA issues as they truly wield the power (now you know who to be nice to).

HOWEVER he felt extremely prepared for anything comming out of there...and really that is what counts. How cushy or plush the environment is should be secondary. Although sometimes its just hard to resist the temptation. Just know your spanish and make sure to hit the gym to maximize your South Beach experience.

apma77,

I heard very similar things before I interviewed.

However, like I said the chairman layed out his vision, where he is timewise in achieveing that vision. I felt comfortable with it overall. Faculty, Residents, Fellows who were "old" residents pretty much confirmed everything he said to be true.

And he did not sugar coat anything, he stated that you will have to work HARD to be successful in this program, part by design in part by neccesity. He also assured me that if your efforts are true to his vision you will be rewarded with the best opportunities you desire

But who knows I may be all wrong.............

For those of you who matched.... three quik questions. First, do you know of any DO's currently in the program? Second how hard it might be for a DO to match Miami Gas. And third, what did they say the work load and hours were like? Thanks:D

Aside from it being a great location, the program has laid out a heavy capitol investment in education. The new chairman seems highly motivated and serious about improving the education environment at UM. The residents seemed to convey an environment of extremely hard work. They did not sugar coat what it takes to succeed at this program. They were more senior residents (at least when I was there). However, it is the Major hospital in the area so you will see a lot of great cases. I have nothing bad to say about this program.

i did an away rotation there and also interviewed.

I remember the impassioned vibe the chair gave, and the coup he pulled in bringing the OB gas guru from St. Lukes, some changes were made to that first intern year, he booted out a few residnets who were bombing inservices, and trauma is q4 instead of q3 (don't know if he did that)...but what concrete changes does he intend to make in the future? more didactics? have the fellowships take more of their own?

and what did he site as the negatives that need changing...subjective things like reputation or objective things like board scores?

the "miami chairman's vision" is oft quoted, but i was just curious as to what it really means. not doubting it, just curious.

joshmir,

Just to answer to the best of my knowledge about concrete changes here goes:

Didactics-not so much more didactics, but better prepared didatics, but more importantly creating protected time. This is very important as some will soon find out that didactics may be given but if no one is there to break you out of the case then it is useless.

He is measuring success by objective measures, as this is a tangible and easily understood measure. During the interview it was made clear what the results of the last AKT results were, but more importantly your position in the program could become in peril if there is repeated poor performance on exams.

Money-he is devoting considerable resources to enhance the prgram i.e. luring excellent faculty into the program, establishing another simulator but more importantly bringing in someone dedicated to create and mange curriculum for the simulator.

I am sure there are other changes, hearsay is that he is fully destablizing the CRNA base such as...RUMOR...Considering bringing in AA's...RUMOR. There are others but this is what I know and understand to be the case, as this is what he told and showed me. Time will tell......

And one more thing.....never mind I will save it for later

OK,
please tell us the rest of the scoop on Miami! :)

just as a heads up.. my good friend just completed his prelim year there and is starting anesthesia now. In his own words.. he was "killed" during his prelim.. 6 months of q3 call and 80-90 hour weeks on average for most of the year on the surgical service. I also interviewed there for gas (and really liked it) but I would highly suggest applying elsewhere for your intern year.

soon2bdoc2003 said:
just as a heads up.. my good friend just completed his prelim year there and is starting anesthesia now. In his own words.. he was "killed" during his prelim.. 6 months of q3 call and 80-90 hour weeks on average for most of the year on the surgical service. I also interviewed there for gas (and really liked it) but I would highly suggest applying elsewhere for your intern year.

Excellent heads up..thanks for the tip! :D

I'm currently a 4th year med student and am doing a rotation at Mt. Sanai. Residents from USF and Jackson do hearts there, and as such I've had a unique opportunity to hear about both programs. Needless to say, Jackson is a work horse of a program. Be prepared to work and to pick up a little spanish while you are there. Residents say they don't have all that much time to do much outside of the hospital, but when they do get out, Miami is the place to be. South beach is awsome. Residents feel they are very well prepared for practice once they finish the program.
Dr. Lubrusky, the program director came from duke some years back and has made things better according to some of the older residents and apparently has put a tremedous emphasis on mock board exams. He's supposed to be a super nice guy- very approachable. They just took a mock exam yesterday (8:00am-6:00pm), and apparently you don't want to score below the 10%. Plenty of hearts down here at Mt. Sanai. I'd like to mention that Dr. Carillo (cardiothoracic surgeon) is by far and away one of the nicest individuals I've ever met. Nice to have him in the room when PA pressures hit the roof- talk about a cool individual.... He'll never yell at you, which isn't exactly what what I've seen at other institutions. Overall, from my limited point of view, I would say that Jackson can be a great option to do residency, but be prepared to work. You WILL come out a strong anesthesiologist. I will definately apply to this program this coming match season. :cool:

Reviving this thread to see if there's input from recently matched folks. I would like to get an idea of what the program likes to see-- is it high board scores, research, volunteer work, or ....? A discussion of pros and cons of this program would also be helpful. Thanks.

VentdependenT said:
HOWEVER he felt extremely prepared for anything comming out of there...and really that is what counts.

This is the most frequent line I came across while on the interview trail, and I found it rather unhelpful for characterizing programs or for differentiating between them. First, I did not meet anyone who said their program trains incompetent anesthesiologists, and there is an obvious bias here. Second, does a resident or even a newly-minted attending have sufficient perspective to make a statement like this? Anyhow, I found it humorous.

joshmir said:
the "miami chairman's vision" is oft quoted, but i was just curious as to what it really means. not doubting it, just curious.

I interviewed at this program too. I found the vision articulated by the chairman to be very "polished". Take whatever meaning you wish to derive from that. However, they do have everything there. You will literally, and at the very least, have the opportunity to get exposed to everything. Whether that opportunity translates into actuality remains to be seen. I'm not sure if I buy the reason offered as to why they still do so many off-site rotations, though.

What clinched the deal for me (as far as not ranking the program highly) was the fact that Jackson Memorial just got cited by the ACGME for violating residency issues. While this doesn't speak directly to the Gas program there (which I think, again, offers great opportunities), it does indicate a rather malignant attitude or culture towards residents at the Institutional level.

I would've chosen this program if I had really had a burning desire to live in Miami, a great city that has a lot to do. But, ultimately, there were too many issues for me to rank this program high enough to have a realistic shot at matching there. Would I have matched there anyway? Who knows. I think the "buzz" is that they have a very strong incoming class with a lot of U of M students matching into the program. That always speaks well to the strength of the program when the homegrown applicants decide to stay. Time will tell if this holds true. Still, it's the largest Gas program in the country. Don't know how well that translates into developing meaningful mentoring relationships with the faculty, another concern of mine that knocked them down the rank-order peg a few rungs...

Good luck, InGasWeTrust. Keep us posted on how the program is working out for you.

-Skip

I interviewed at Jackson memorial as well,my views.....a work horse program.
Its just my feeling that a lot more was marketed than the program has to offer.
They have an impressive chair who knows how to sell his program,but,are they doing what is needed to be done,I don't think so.
With such a busy program, don't think any one would have the energy to vest into didactics.
No research,a consideration for someone interested in academics.I personally witnessed an argument between a rude surgeon and a very polite resident,residents seemed to be I a constant rush to start the cases due to the load.
On a positive note,the ORs were impressive,everything is latest and it goes without saying that you won't need a fellowship after training here.