University of Miami Masters in Biomedical Sciences (MiBS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1039640

I've been lurking through SDN forums but haven't found much information about UM MiBS. Can anyone elucidate me about its benefits versus doing another master's program (like in Biochemistry or Biostatistics)?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I've also been looking for some information about the UM MiBS program, but haven't found much beyond what I already know. I had an interview last week (April 3rd) and have been patiently waiting to see if I got in since this program is my first choice. Does anyone have any information regarding how long it takes to hear back from the admissions committe and how likely my chances are of getting in since I was chosen for an interview?

I've been lurking through SDN forums but haven't found much information about UM MiBS. Can anyone elucidate me about its benefits versus doing another master's program (like in Biochemistry or Biostatistics)?

Hey, I’m a current student in the MiBS program here at UM. To answer your question, if you intend to go into medical school, as stated before, any SMP catered to improve your medical school application is the best choice. There are many options out there and they all have their own pros and cons, it just depends on your preference.

[edit]
The admissions committee takes a while to send out acceptances, especially considering the current state of the country. I expect, that they will send out decisions by the end of May, June at the latest. I don’t know the specific number of applicants they have this cycle, but considering the growing popularity of this program, they may have a lot of applicants, and they will make their decision after all interviews have been conducted. Again, your chances of getting in depend on your test score, GPA, and letters so I can’t really give you a confident answer.

This program has improved my chances of getting interviews. I am applying this cycle, and have spoken with members of the admissions committee here who can attest to that. In my situation, I was a varsity athlete in undergrad and needed to prove I could handle the rigor of medical school courses, get more clinical experience, and more basic science research. Through this program, I have been enabled to do all these, and my application has drastically improved.

All of the lectures were recorded, but I went to all lectures. The major thing about this program is the small classroom size, compared to Georgetown or other big SMP programs. This enables you to develop deep relationships with medical school professors. You should use this to your benefit. Develop relationships by showing up to these small classes and hopefully do well, so when you need letters in the future, they will be happy to provide you with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I’m a current student in the MiBS program here at UM. To answer your question, if you intend to go into medical school, as stated before, any SMP catered to improve your medical school application is the best choice. There are many options out there and they all have their own pros and cons, it just depends on your preference.

[edit]
The admissions committee takes a while to send out acceptances, especially considering the current state of the country. I expect, that they will send out decisions by the end of May, June at the latest. I don’t know the specific number of applicants they have this cycle, but considering the growing popularity of this program, they may have a lot of applicants, and they will make their decision after all interviews have been conducted. Again, your chances of getting in depend on your test score, GPA, and letters so I can’t really give you a confident answer.

This program has improved my chances of getting interviews. I am applying this cycle, and have spoken with members of the admissions committee here who can attest to that. In my situation, I was a varsity athlete in undergrad and needed to prove I could handle the rigor of medical school courses, get more clinical experience, and more basic science research. Through this program, I have been enabled to do all these, and my application has drastically improved.

All of the lectures were recorded, but I went to all lectures. The major thing about this program is the small classroom size, compared to Georgetown or other big SMP programs. This enables you to develop deep relationships with medical school professors. You should use this to your benefit. Develop relationships by showing up to these small classes and hopefully do well, so when you need letters in the future, they will be happy to provide you with them.
If you don't mind me asking you, on the program's website it says that "Applicants will automatically be considered for a limited number of scholarships" would you say that the scholarships helped alleviate the program's tuition?

If you don't mind me asking you, on the program's website it says that "Applicants will automatically be considered for a limited number of scholarships" would you say that the scholarships helped alleviate the program's tuition?

Unfortunately, I was not one of the ones who received a scholarship, but any financial aid will help alleviate the burden of any tuition. This program is expensive, much like most of the SMP's across the country. I believe they give scholarships for different circumstances, but you should contact the program directly to be sure of the specifics. However, keep in mind that this is an investment for your future. If you need to take out loans now so that you will be able to matriculate into medical school and one day become a physician, it is worth it. You will be able to pay them off once you get there.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, if anyone is applying to this program or has already applied and was interviewed, feel free to reach out to me. Trying to network with potential classmates/get updates on application statuses. Let's keep the positivity flowing and help each other out!
Hey, have you heard an admissions update yet?

Hi, would anyone mind giving me a few tips for the interview? What are some of the questions that are asked? Thank you!

Interviews are still being conducted (I think they said every Friday). I'm still waiting on a decision. They said closer to the deadline of May 15th is when we'd hear back.

Has anyone heard back from the program?

[edit]

Hi there! thanks for your information! extremely useful. Was wondering if you have any advice or tips for the interview? would really appreciate any advice you may have. Thank you :)

Hi there! thanks for your information! extremely useful. Was wondering if you have any advice or tips for the interview? would really appreciate any advice you may have. Thank you :)
Hi, did you hear back from the program?

Does anyone know if there's a FB page or other platform of accepted students? I tried emailing the admissions committee but they never got back to me on it. Thank you :)