University of Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiMed2010

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all - just a heads up for any of you applying/interviewing at UM. there have been a lot of changes in the curriculum that they may not tell you about. i am a first year medical student and have one week left until winter break. they crammed all of anatomy, histology, embryology, and pathology into 8 weeks. it's a horrible idea because you spend the entire 8 weeks studying non-stop and the entire class feels like they just spew out the information for the test and don't remember it. there is no long term retention of even the big concepts for the first section of anatomy. over 30 of the 150 students are failing the unit and the worst part is that the administration doesn't care. they are in love with the curriculum and told us that they would listen to us complain but won't do anything about it. dean o'connell and dean potter think anatomy is unimportant and especially don't care. there may be some changes in store for the next class... they may reduce the unit to 6 weeks. so if you want to go to a school that's going to actually teach you anatomy and listen to your concerns don't waste your money on a plane ticket to interview here and plan on going to any other school that you get accepted to. also, make sure if you have any questions about the curriculum while you're interviewing don't ask any second years, their curriculum is completely different from ours and they don't know much about it. they had a good curriculum with organization and great teachers. it's gone way downhill... keep your curriculum questions to the first years for honest reliable answers.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like someone's on the waitlist for class of 2011. Miami's a top school in some specialties.

Sounds like someone's on the waitlist for class of 2011. Miami's a top school in some specialties.
One of my best friends is an MS1 at UM and what MiamiMed is saying is completely true. He hates the curriculum so far. I loved UM last year and I almost went there, but what I've heard so far have been a lot of negatives (at least curriculum-wise). I'm pretty sure the OP is telling the truth.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my Miami interview we had lunch with a group of students without any faculty present. The students really badmouthed the curriculum, and said the usmle scores were right at the national average.

However, I think the incredible clinical opportunites at Jackson outweigh the negatives of the curriculum. The students also said they felt very well prepared for residencies due to the fact that they had great experiences at Jackson.

One of my best friends is an MS1 at UM and what MiamiMed is saying is completely true. He hates the curriculum so far. I loved UM last year and I almost went there, but what I've heard so far have been a lot of negatives (at least curriculum-wise). I'm pretty sure the OP is telling the truth.

Hey MrBurns, I heard the same thing from some people I know in the first year class. I still really want to go there tho :)

Hey MrBurns, I heard the same thing from some people I know in the first year class. I still really want to go there tho :)
Good luck! I really liked UM. I was really impressed by their clinical opportunities and I think they put out great clinicians. Don't let the basic-science curriculum stop you if that's where you want to go :)

A lot of schools condense anatomy, histo and embryo in the same block because they are related to structure and logically follow each other, but I've never heard of Pathology also being crammed into the same block--especially in the first block of first year, when Path is a second year class.

Eight weeks does seems like a very short amount of time to get through it all though.

hey all - just a heads up for any of you applying/interviewing at UM. there have been a lot of changes in the curriculum that they may not tell you about. i am a first year medical student and have one week left until winter break. they crammed all of anatomy, histology, embryology, and pathology into 8 weeks. it's a horrible idea because you spend the entire 8 weeks studying non-stop and the entire class feels like they just spew out the information for the test and don't remember it. there is no long term retention of even the big concepts for the first section of anatomy. over 30 of the 150 students are failing the unit and the worst part is that the administration doesn't care. they are in love with the curriculum and told us that they would listen to us complain but won't do anything about it. dean o'connell and dean potter think anatomy is unimportant and especially don't care. there may be some changes in store for the next class... they may reduce the unit to 6 weeks. so if you want to go to a school that's going to actually teach you anatomy and listen to your concerns don't waste your money on a plane ticket to interview here and plan on going to any other school that you get accepted to. also, make sure if you have any questions about the curriculum while you're interviewing don't ask any second years, their curriculum is completely different from ours and they don't know much about it. they had a good curriculum with organization and great teachers. it's gone way downhill... keep your curriculum questions to the first years for honest reliable answers.

You've already posted this elsewhere:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=4486122&postcount=11
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=4486113&postcount=83

Those interested in your post can continue the discussion in one of the already existing threads above.

We don't allow cross-posting, so I'm closing this thread. You can't just start spamming every Miami thread, consider that a warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.