\\***University of Michigan Class of 2011***//

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey! Speak for yourself. :smuggrin:

And the dinguses comment was very funy considering the context of the skit. It was crazy how often those Michigan Difference ads ran.

hey everybody,

i wont be able to make it to the second look, but hope you all have a good time!...
Sorry to hear that you can't make 2nd look. It is going to be a good time!

Keep firing away with any questions as the process goes along... Those of us around here who are already in Ann Arbor will be more than happy to explain in detail why UofM is pretty much the best place around! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a couple of questions for the currents:
Are the classes true pass fail or is there a hidden reference to them somewhere down the line?

How easy is it to get funding for a year off to do research?

One of my interviews was given by someone from a fraternity, what's the deal with those?

And last but not least, what do you guys as a class do for fun(school sponsored or not)?

Are the classes true pass fail or is there a hidden reference to them somewhere down the line?

One of my interviews was given by someone from a fraternity, what's the deal with those?

And last but not least, what do you guys as a class do for fun(school sponsored or not)?

I can't answer the research question, but here's my input on the others:

Classes in M1 and M2 are true P/F. They post the distribution of %-scored, so you can see how you're doing relative to your classmates, but it's completely anonymous. There is effectively no difference between scoring 100% correct and 75% correct (other than personal satisfaction). The M3/M4 years are graded but I think that's the case at all med schools.

The med school fraternities offer housing and a close-knit community of med students. I would say that they are more like dormitories than the stereotypical college frats. One of my good friends lives in phi rho, and I somewhat regret not living there -- the students are all great, and they become really close friends. There's always someone around if you want to chat/study/chill. Plus they have a cook, so if you get the meal plan you will never want for real cooked food! (you'd be surprised how easy it is to start ignoring nutrition/sustenance when you're busy studying all the time...)

We do a lot for fun! Depending on what you're interested, I think there's something for everyone:

-Really good bars that offer a quality selection of beers, at great prices.
-Several dance clubs that are reasonable (perhaps not quite up to east/west coast standards BUT cover is $0 - $10, and drinks can be < $5).
-Live music -- there are some great cover bands in AA.
-Bowling -- there's an inter-grad school league
-IM sports across the various schools -- the M1 class is pretty active (you haven't lived until you've tried inner-tube waterpolo or broomball). We had a winning team in several sports like baseball, basketball. Ultimate frisbee is really popular too.
-Karaoke! there's a place within 10 minutes that offers private rooms
-outdoor paths along the river for running, canoeing. There are a lot of joggers in the class.
-Salsa dancing -- a group of my classmates goes every 1-2 weeks.
-Squash courts at the UM gym
-Mafia & board game nights (but this might just be the M1 class). A group of us gets together to play mafia about once a month.
-Movie nights -- both at people's apartments and at the local Quality 16 theater (you can get 2 tickets for $5 on tuesday nights!)
-people have organized ski trips and trips to chicago during our CFM weekends (relatively light workload)
-there also seems to be several students in the class who play D&D and/or WoW :p
-lots of school extracurriculars are fun, like the Galens Smoker (play/musical) or BioRhythms (student-run/choreographed dance groups for all levels). There's also a med student rock band that's pretty good -- Ministers of Funk.

hmm... I'm sure if I've missed anything, SailCrazy will fill it in ;)

Thanks everyone. Is there an admitted students facebook group or anything? I thought I read about one, but now I can't find it.

Thanks everyone. Is there an admitted students facebook group or anything? I thought I read about one, but now I can't find it.

I don't think there is one actually. That's a good idea though!

I don't think there is one actually. That's a good idea though!

They put out one every month or so. It probably doesn't contain your shining new faces though :D . Wait for an email and I'm sure it wil have the latest one.

They put out one every month or so. It probably doesn't contain your shining new faces though :D . Wait for an email and I'm sure it wil have the latest one.

Oh, I thought he was talking about a group on Facebook.com, not the "facebook" of admitted students pics that UMich has up on their website.

Oh, I thought he was talking about a group on Facebook.com, not the "facebook" of admitted students pics that UMich has up on their website.

She:D And I was talking about facebook.com. But the other one sounds cool too. Im looking forward to seeing it! Thanks!

She:D And I was talking about facebook.com. But the other one sounds cool too. Im looking forward to seeing it! Thanks!

Lol, oops sorry!

As Humble said, it's updated every month and they send out an email with a link to it, so you can look for yourself next month! In the meantime, you can scope the rest of us out ;)

You can access it at any time by going to the admitted students website, clicking M-Pulse and then clicking the Admitted Student Profile link in the yellow box on the right side of the page. Looks like we're shaping up to be an awfully attractive bunch :laugh:

EDIT: Sorry Humble, it's fixed.

Lol, oops sorry! But if you want to see the current "facebook" of admitted students, click here: XXX

As Humble said, it's updated every month and they send out an email with a link to it, so you can look for yourself next month! In the meantime, you can scope the rest of us out ;)

You can access it at any time by going to the admitted students website, clicking M-Pulse and then clicking the Admitted Student Profile link in the yellow box on the right side of the page. Looks like we're shaping up to be an awfully attractive bunch :laugh:

Lorienne, I'd take down the link (maybe instruct bet22 how to access it rather than posting a link), as I believe this is intended for other acceptees, and many people on it would not appreciate their name and picture being posted in public internet space.

Thanks Lorienne! You're right - good looking bunch..haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, oops sorry!

EDIT: Sorry Humble, it's fixed.
No prob. Are you going to the Michigan second look?

No prob. Are you going to the Michigan second look?

Unfortunately, I can't :( . I'm thinking it's probably not a great idea to be out of town the weekend before my finals start. After all, failing all my classes would sort of put a kink in my whole graduate from college plan :rolleyes: If only second look was one week earlier!

Plus, I can't go to welcome weekend either cuz that conflicts with other second looks I want to go to. I'm seriously losing sleep over the decision that I have to make, and these schools aren't helping me by scheduling their weekends all at the same time!! ARGH! Sorry for the minirant, lol.

Are you going to second look? If so, please report back! With details!! At this point, it seems my only choice is to live vicariously through you guys.

I got an email that said the second look weekend is full right now. Im sad. I was looking forward to it! Heard it is a lot of fun. Hopefully I'll get in off the waitlist.

And here I thought I was done with waitlists :rolleyes:

I got an email that said the second look weekend is full right now. Im sad. I was looking forward to it! Heard it is a lot of fun. Hopefully I'll get in off the waitlist.

And here I thought I was done with waitlists :rolleyes:

Aww, a waitlist for second look weekend? The competition never stops. Maybe later in the summer we can organize an informal weekend for acceptees to hang out in A2... I have an apartment here so I'll be in town!

Sounds good. I'm always down for hanging out. BTW, are they paying for the trip to second look?

I don't know that I can add a whole lot to Amandil's answer, but I'll give it a shot.

There are no hidden rankings that surface sometime down the road for us. (That doesn't mean that the school doesn't track performance in order to monitor the curriculum, changes, etc. The info, however, is not relevant or apparent to us from a student perspective.)

I also do not know about year-long research funding, but I know they had a series of presentations/info sessions on it this year (I didn't go because I'm not doing that) so the information is definitely out there. I suspect Robert Ruiz could provide you with an answer fairly quickly. I don't know if you'll be at 2nd look, but the MSTP coordinator will probably give a brief presentation on research in general and will be able to answer all of the questions you might have.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned that the medical school fraternities are co-ed, some more women than men (I think.) I don't live in one, but they seem like a pretty fun option that is also quite cost-effective.

There are definitely tons of fun things to do. I won't bore you with the "not quite non-school related, but check out what great people we are" ones:p , but there are a lot of medical and community service activities that are a lot of fun, as well as interest groups exploring various specialties and areas of practice.

-BIG TEN Athletics! (Including great seats with a big group of classmates for football games.)
-We have a good group of people (of all experience and ability levels) who play Ultimate Frisbee both in pick-up games right here by the med school and at various locations around Ann Arbor through Ann Arbor Ultimate.
-There is a group of people who rock climb at the University's climbing wall every Tuesday.
-Dance groups, Singing Groups, Life Science Orchestra and other musical groups,
-Med Student Book Club (fun reading, not med-related stuff)
-Great films at the Michigan Theater (The League of Historic American Theatres 2006 Outstanding Historic Theatre Award Winner.)
-Tons of outdoors stuff in the arb and botanical gardens.
-The Ann Arbor Art Fair, Film Festival, and Folk Festivals.
-Performances through the University Musical Society
-The Royal Shakespeare Company (just ended the third of three residencies in Ann Arbor and is in negotiations for another 3 - their only visits to the US!) We also had a med school exclusive "Breakfast with Shakespeare" series through which the lucky participants received copies of, and tickets to, the 3 plays as well as a free breakfast and lecture from a "rockstar" undergrad professor who is a world-renowned Shakespearian expert.
-Really good bars that offer a quality selection of beers, at great prices.
-Several dance clubs that are reasonable (perhaps not quite up to east/west coast standards BUT cover is $0 - $10, and drinks can be < $5).
-Live music -- there are some great cover bands in AA.
-Bowling -- there's an inter-grad school league
-IM sports across the various schools -- the M1 class is pretty active (you haven't lived until you've tried inner-tube waterpolo or broomball). We had a winning team in several sports like baseball, basketball. Ultimate frisbee is really popular too.
-Karaoke! there's a place within 10 minutes that offers private rooms
-outdoor paths along the river for running, canoeing. There are a lot of joggers in the class.
-Salsa dancing -- a group of my classmates goes every 1-2 weeks.
-Squash courts at the UM gym
-Mafia & board game nights (but this might just be the M1 class). A group of us gets together to play mafia about once a month.
-Movie nights -- both at people's apartments and at the local Quality 16 theater (you can get 2 tickets for $5 on tuesday nights!)
-people have organized ski trips and trips to chicago during our CFM weekends (relatively light workload)
-there also seems to be several students in the class who play D&D and/or WoW :p
-lots of school extracurriculars are fun, like the Galens Smoker (play/musical) or BioRhythms (student-run/choreographed dance groups for all levels). There's also a med student rock band that's pretty good -- Ministers of Funk.

I'm sure I missed a bunch of obvious things, but that's what you get off the top of my head... and what I lacked in quantity I tried to make up for with URLs. :thumbup:

Aww, a waitlist for second look weekend? The competition never stops. Maybe later in the summer we can organize an informal weekend for acceptees to hang out in A2... I have an apartment here so I'll be in town!

Heh, that might be fun. 7 bedroom house with almost everyone leaving here...

And what's with this waitlist thing. Such a foreign concept (until I hear from Penn of course, if I'm lucky).

Heh, that might be fun. 7 bedroom house with almost everyone leaving here...

And what's with this waitlist thing. Such a foreign concept (until I hear from Penn of course, if I'm lucky).

None of us will hear from penn- they're going to keep moving their notification deadline back until it wraps into next year's cycle. And yeah- let's all temporarily agree on an informal class of 2011 get together in early July. That way most people will have made their decisions (and Ann Arbor will start heating up!) See you (the lucky few?) at 2nd look!

in addition to sailcrazy, i'll throw in my two cents - it's usually pretty easy to get a year off to do research so far as i know, and there are a number of U or M and national programs (NIH and Doris Duke are the first that come to mind) that can fund this kind of thing. i know that's pretty general, but like sail said, there are a lot of talks the first year that talk about those sorts of opportunities.

I don't know that I can add a whole lot to Amandil's answer, but I'll give it a shot.

There are no hidden rankings that surface sometime down the road for us. (That doesn't mean that the school doesn't track performance in order to monitor the curriculum, changes, etc. The info, however, is not relevant or apparent to us from a student perspective.)

I also do not know about year-long research funding, but I know they had a series of presentations/info sessions on it this year (I didn't go because I'm not doing that) so the information is definitely out there. I suspect Robert Ruiz could provide you with an answer fairly quickly. I don't know if you'll be at 2nd look, but the MSTP coordinator will probably give a brief presentation on research in general and will be able to answer all of the questions you might have.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned that the medical school fraternities are co-ed, some more women than men (I think.) I don't live in one, but they seem like a pretty fun option that is also quite cost-effective.

There are definitely tons of fun things to do. I won't bore you with the "not quite non-school related, but check out what great people we are" ones:p , but there are a lot of medical and community service activities that are a lot of fun, as well as interest groups exploring various specialties and areas of practice.

-BIG TEN Athletics! (Including great seats with a big group of classmates for football games.)
-We have a good group of people (of all experience and ability levels) who play Ultimate Frisbee both in pick-up games right here by the med school and at various locations around Ann Arbor through Ann Arbor Ultimate.
-There is a group of people who rock climb at the University's climbing wall every Tuesday.
-Dance groups, Singing Groups, Life Science Orchestra and other musical groups,
-Med Student Book Club (fun reading, not med-related stuff)
-Great films at the Michigan Theater (The League of Historic American Theatres 2006 Outstanding Historic Theatre Award Winner.)
-Tons of outdoors stuff in the arb and botanical gardens.
-The Ann Arbor Art Fair, Film Festival, and Folk Festivals.
-Performances through the University Musical Society
-The Royal Shakespeare Company (just ended the third of three residencies in Ann Arbor and is in negotiations for another 3 - their only visits to the US!) We also had a med school exclusive "Breakfast with Shakespeare" series through which the lucky participants received copies of, and tickets to, the 3 plays as well as a free breakfast and lecture from a "rockstar" undergrad professor who is a world-renowned Shakespearian expert.

I'm sure I missed a bunch of obvious things, but that's what you get off the top of my head... and what I lacked in quantity I tried to make up for with URLs. :thumbup:

Don't forget to check out the Dose of Reality blogs from M1s to M4s.

http://www2.med.umich.edu/medschool/reality/

I wish I was cool enough to be a student blogger, but it'd be mostly:

Monday: Skipped first class. Had free lunch (chicken shwarma:thumbup: :thumbup: )
Tuesday: I hate anatomy.
etc. etc.

There are lots of fun things to do around here and plenty of orgs to join, but as the year rolls on you'll find yourself less driven to take part in everything. While the social scene isn't as hoppin' as say, LA or Chicago, it's a really small part of med school life.

Actually one thing that made our class pretty cohesive is that someone organized a few bar crawls in the first week, so everyone got to meet each other. Apparently we're one of the most social classes.

Anyone know anything about Village Park apartments? I'm going to take a look at them this week...

So I know they had sent out e-mails about being waitlisted for the second look weekend, but has anyone received any sort of confirmation or anything for the second look weekend if they got a spot? I had emailed Sandy to confirm that I actually was on the the list to attend (so I could confirm the date in my planner), but has anyone received any word? I wonder because back in October I actually never received a secondary application invite until I called - I happen to have a history of UMich emails getting lost in cyperspace.

So I know they had sent out e-mails about being waitlisted for the second look weekend, but has anyone received any sort of confirmation or anything for the second look weekend if they got a spot? I had emailed Sandy to confirm that I actually was on the the list to attend (so I could confirm the date in my planner), but has anyone received any word? I wonder because back in October I actually never received a secondary application invite until I called - I happen to have a history of UMich emails getting lost in cyperspace.

I didn't receive any kind of confirmation email after registering. I gave them a couple days and then called- they said that they did process my registration. If you're worried about missing an email I'd call/write them, but it looks to me like they haven't sent out any type of formal message confirming registration.

Anyone know anything about Village Park apartments? I'm going to take a look at them this week...
Never heard of them. I did a quick google search, and they seem a bit farther away than most students choose to live. If the price is right, they're nice, and there is a good bus connection that could be a good option though.

2007 match list is up:

*link removed*

I'm pretty sure it's public information since it's not on a password protected page.

2007 match list is up:

XXX

I'm pretty sure it's public information since it's not on a password protected page.

The document itself isn't password protected, but was the page used to arrive at it protected? Either way, this is probably against the TOS because it's a document that contains real names. Maybe crop off the names and re-post?

Either way - impressive. I counted 9 Optho matches...

That's a lot of anesthesiologists!

My count:

16 anesthesiology
8 orthopods
1 neurosurgery
5 ENT
3 derm
7 rads
10 ophtho

Ok, I'm sure they'll send you guys a word file made anonymous at some point, but because waiting is never fun, here's my ghetto match list pix.

*it's not working =(*

w80383308.jpg

w80383313.jpg

w80383315.jpg

w80383304.jpg

here's a pdf file of the match list that is searchable.

Attachments

• 2007match_anonymous.pdf
    29 KB · Views: 162
Never heard of them. I did a quick google search, and they seem a bit farther away than most students choose to live. If the price is right, they're nice, and there is a good bus connection that could be a good option though.

So would 700 be a good deal for a one bedroom in ann arbor? It includes heat, has a washer/dryer and allows pets. I can't decide. It seems like so much money, but maybe it's all a matter of perspective...should I just suck it up and do it? My current lease is coming to an end soon and I need to decide where I want to live.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

So would 700 be a good deal for a one bedroom in ann arbor? It includes heat, has a washer/dryer and allows pets. I can't decide. It seems like so much money, but maybe it's all a matter of perspective...should I just suck it up and do it? My current lease is coming to an end soon and I need to decide where I want to live.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

It depends on where- that's an average price (although on the high end of fair) if it's really close to campus. I'm not sure how the prices differ for the med campus area, but I'd think they'd be comparable. You could really save at least $100 a month by living with one other person, though, so if that's an option and money is a concern you'd be better off finding a roommate or two.

Edit: I should clarify- I'm an undergrad here right now who's lived in various apartments / houses on central campus and near the medical campus for the last few years. I know about the housing market to a certain extent, but if there are any med students who've lived closer to the med school or in the kerrytown area feel free to jump in!!!

I live in Med Center Court (I'm a public health student starting as an M1 in the fall). It's a two bedroom and I pay $480. My roomate pays the same. Overall, you could do much better living in a two bedroom with a roommate. Also, you might want to check out med center court. it's close to the med school and, if you sign a lease here, they give me a referral bonus ($300) and I'll give you half.

HTH

I had the opportunity to ask Dr. Ruiz about scholarships, and he said that by late afternoon on March 30 (like around 3ish), the scholarship committee will be sending out emails or updating our status page with info about scholarship money. They have five million (!) dollars to give out in total with $2500/year being the smallest amount they have to offer. Let's hope there's enough of that cash to go around to all of us SDNers :D

Five Million Dollars?!?! With that much money they could cut the price for every single incoming M1 by almost $7,500/year, assuming a final class size of about 170 like in previous years.

Five Million Dollars?!?! With that much money they could cut the price for every single incoming M1 by almost $7,500/year, assuming a final class size of about 170 like in previous years.
They could... but they won't. $5M might sound like a lot, but when you throw out full rides for folks paying out of state tuition (or in state tuition for that matter) the totals add up pretty fast. There will definitely be some people getting some great offers, but they'll still be the minority. Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to discourage anyone before the good news comes out on the 30th, but reading some of the posts on here might set some unrealistic expectations for the majority of us who choose to come to Michigan becasue it is a great school with great, happy students, often despite better financial aid offers elsewhere.

They could... but they won't. $5M might sound like a lot, but when you throw out full rides for folks paying out of state tuition (or in state tuition for that matter) the totals add up pretty fast. There will definitely be some people getting some great offers, but they'll still be the minority. Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to discourage anyone before the good news comes out on the 30th, but reading some of the posts on here might set some unrealistic expectations for the majority of us who choose to come to Michigan becasue it is a great school with great, happy students, often despite better financial aid offers elsewhere.

Yeah, I'm definitely not counting on any money... I just hope I don't have to hear about it at 2nd look or orientation from you lucky/brilliant people out there who do get money! Good luck to everyone though- Either way I guess we're all getting a potentially great deal out of this med school thing. :)

Current Students: Med Center Court or Island Dr. Appts; honestly, which is nicer? Are there any other nice places to live that you can think of??

Current Students: Med Center Court or Island Dr. Appts; honestly, which is nicer? Are there any other nice places to live that you can think of??

I don't live at either place, but I've heard Med Center Court is nicer and people are happier. Someone I know lives in Med Center Court with a roommate; their rent is $955 for a 2-BR 1-BA. Utilities run about $100 per person per month (incl. elec, heat, water, telephone). Comes with fridge, dishwasher, oven, carpets, a/c.

But, if you really want a nice place at a reasonable cost (given the local market), you might want to look elsewhere. Both Med center court and island drive apartments have inflated prices because of the location (granted, it is really convenient to be able to walk to school) relative to the actual quality of the apartments.

I live in Huron Towers, which is about a mile away from school. There's a bus that comes by every 5 mins in the mornings so my trip to school only takes 12 mins. We have a 3-BR, 1.5-BA, with a huge living room, a newly-refurnished kitchen for $1660. Plenty of free parking in the lot outside. I think my rent is higher because we have a new kitchen w/ dishwasher and a wrap-around corner balcony.

The Tower Plaza also has gorgeous apartments, and it's closer to all the restaurants, bars, and places downtown.

For anyone in housing near the med school, is the first week of May (i.e. second look weekend) a good time to start sorting out housing? I know most everything on central campus is taken by then, but how quickly do the apartments near the medical center center go?

I live on central campus so I could start looking pretty easily if I needed to right away, but I'm waiting for a few of my friends to decide what they're doing next year and I was wondering how much time I had before having to make a final decision about about where to live / how many people to live with.

hey all - congrats on your acceptances! :) i've loved it here and will be headed out in a month or two. i'm moving across the country (yes, michigan residents - lived in MI all my life - CAN match in california!) and selling all my belongings .... including my super-cute condo. buying was a great decision for me - if you're thinking of buying, check out the info below! :)

walking distance (15 min)/biking distance (7 min) to campus. bus comes right by the house, free for people with UM students, goes directly to hospital and central campus, downtown.

priced competitively below listing prices for other units in the complex.

http://kelloggtownhome.blogspot.com <------ lots of details here.

PM or email for questions and good luck in your upcoming years as a WOLVERINE!! :clap:

It's nice to see that we've clawed our way back to the top 10 :laugh: although I privately suspect not being top 10 allowed us to recruit a more layed-back class...

hey everybody,

just wishing you all good luck on (what is supposedly) scholarship announcement day! hopefully we'll hear in the next few hours...

It's nice to see that we've clawed our way back to the top 10 :laugh: although I privately suspect not being top 10 allowed us to recruit a more layed-back class...

Very true. I definitely agree on the laid back thing.(is it layed or laid BTW?)

hey everybody,

just wishing you all good luck on (what is supposedly) scholarship announcement day! hopefully we'll hear in the next few hours...

How do we hear about those?

Very true. I definitely agree on the laid back thing.(is it layed or laid BTW?)

it's laid. hehe chinorean :p

Also, I would never underestimate the value of having laid-back classmates! Med school is stressful enough already. Surrounding yourself with people (*cough* gunners) that do nothing but study and want you to know that they know more than you do would be utterly miserable.

Of course we study, but in the average week I still find time to participate in 2 dance groups, a broomball team, exercise (usually :rolleyes: ), and at least one night out with friends.

Good luck everyone with scholarships! :luck:

Okay, random paranoid moment (haven't checked my status page since October), but the fact that I have the "Medical School Choice Survey" for students who decline the offer and decide to go elsewhere, it doesn't mean that they think I declined the offer of acceptance, does it? I didn't have to pay a deposit, did I? Freaking out :eek: