\\***University of Michigan Class of 2011***//

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay, random paranoid moment (haven't checked my status page since October), but the fact that I have the "Medical School Choice Survey" for students who decline the offer and decide to go elsewhere, it doesn't mean that they think I declined the offer of acceptance, does it? I didn't have to pay a deposit, did I? Freaking out :eek:

I think it is for people that accept and decline the offer of acceptance. In other words, they want everyone to fill it out so that they can compare the two groups. Not sure though. Also, I noticed today that we are now able to pay our deposit through the status page.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, random paranoid moment (haven't checked my status page since October), but the fact that I have the "Medical School Choice Survey" for students who decline the offer and decide to go elsewhere, it doesn't mean that they think I declined the offer of acceptance, does it? I didn't have to pay a deposit, did I? Freaking out :eek:

If I remember correctly, the medical School Choice Survey has been there for a very long time. The deposit thing has just been added, but I think it's been added to everybody.

Now me freaking out: where's the email, why's the status page not changing???? :scared:

I thought I was done stalking my email address :(

Has anybody heard anything so I can stop freaking out?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the survey on the status site too so I think it's there for everyone...

it's laid. hehe chinorean :p

I had a bet with myself that you would comment on that. I win. =P

BTW, if they ask you guys to fill out a survey comparing UMich to other schools in different categories and offer an iPod drawing as an incentive, write back and ask them why they never did the drawing for this year's class :smuggrin:

Has anybody heard anything so I can stop freaking out?
Last year we didn't have to pay until May 15. I wouldn't expect it to be any different this year.

Last year we didn't have to pay until May 15. I wouldn't expect it to be any different this year.

He's talking about scholarship decisions, which Lorienne did (congrats!).
I'm guessing that's a no for me then. Penn here I come. Sad, I really wanted a good reason to stay at UMich...

grats lorienne! nothing here, figured i would at least get something...surprised no one else has said anything either. anybody else?

Current Students: Med Center Court or Island Dr. Appts; honestly, which is nicer? Are there any other nice places to live that you can think of??
For anyone in housing near the med school, is the first week of May (i.e. second look weekend) a good time to start sorting out housing? I know most everything on central campus is taken by then, but how quickly do the apartments near the medical center center go?
First week of May is fine. Later is fine too.

I think Med Center Court is nicer than island drive & mcc has dishwashers, but utility costs are very high.

Huron Towers are still nearby (east) and Shoreview Apartments are neaby (a bit further north.)

He's talking about scholarship decisions, which Lorienne did (congrats!).
I'm guessing that's a no for me then. Penn here I come. Sad, I really wanted a good reason to go to UMich...
Oh... I guess I got that confused with your deposit question.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get a $$$ offer today. There are, however, still plenty of good reasons to come to Michigan! :idea:

I just got a scholarship email!!

VOOOHOOOOOOOO, I just got it too. Congrats to everybody else as well.
Now I'm 100% Michigan.
Yay!

Edit: BTW, should I reply back and thank Mr. Ruiz?

Edit Edit: OK that sounded stupid, Of course I will. I'm just way too excited now.

wait, like in the last 5 minutes? can i go get on with my life or do i have to hang our here a little longer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Now I'm 100% Michigan.
Yay!

Edit Edit: OK that sounded stupid, Of course I will. I'm just way too excited now.

yay me too! about 45 minutes ago, for those who are still waiting.

wait, like in the last 5 minutes? can i go get on with my life or do i have to hang our here a little longer?

Mine says it was sent about 25 minutes ago, but I was doing laundry so I got it like 3 minutes ago.

I guess they all didn't go out at the same time.
good luck modelslashactor :luck:

Now I'm 100% Michigan.
Yay!

Congrats!! I think I'm going to thank him just because he's so awesome.

As for next year, I really don't know what I'm going to do :confused:

So congrats to all who got scholarships. You really shouldn't turn down a full-ride to UMich unless you have a full-ride somewhere else. It's a great school in a great place.

Well, I've refreshed my email and UMich status enough times to know I'm out in the cold; I'm going to go shower and then I'm headed to Leopold Brother's (a great reason to come to AA by the way...)

As far as I know they give out scholarships for the rest of the summer- Humble, meet with a financial aid officer or Mr. Ruiz and talk about your situation with being on the fence between here and Penn. I'm sure they'll make you an offer you can't refuse.

In honor of the fact that I got my official acceptance letter in the mail today, I thought I'd start this thread! ...
I just got a scholarship email!!

Let me help you out: You started the class of 2011 thread and you have a great scholarship offer. You're now legally bound to be here in Ann Arbor next year. Let us know if you need any help deciding where to live! :)

Let me help you out: You started the class of 2011 thread and you have a great scholarship offer. You're now legally bound to be here in Ann Arbor next year. Let us know if you need any help deciding where to live! :)

Yeah I was going to say exactly the same thing. You're the one who started this thread; I think that says a lot.

If you didn't get a scholarship today, don't give up! I didn't get a scholarship immediately. But I wrote to the admissions office and said that I loved UM but received a scholarship elsewhere, and that financial considerations were a major factor in my ability to choose a school. They more than matched my scholarship! :D

Last year they didn't notify all scholarship recipients by email. Just hold on you may get a nice surprise in the mail in a few days.

Hey guys,
I hate being Debbie Downer, but I was doing a little bit of research when I came upon this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=155768
The class thread for class of 2009.

If you read the first couple of pages, you will see that there's a lot of negative stuff being said. I personally don't want to believe all that's said in there, but some of it is really scary like grade deflation during third year and the fact that Michigan's rep has no effect for coast residency placements.

Any of the third or fourth years want to pitch in?
Also, I know there is a lot of positive things about Michigan but I would like to hear some of the things that the current students don't like about UMich so that I'd be able to make a more informed decision.

Alas, no scholarship for me. What to do now?

If you read the first couple of pages, you will see that there's a lot of negative stuff being said. I personally don't want to believe all that's said in there, but some of it is really scary like grade deflation during third year and the fact that Michigan's rep has no effect for coast residency placements.

Every year there are "rumors" that Michigan kids "can't" match on the coasts. Here's the distribution of the match list this year (I've included a couple people that elected not to have their names printed in the official list... just in case you don't think these add up right):

Midwest - 64 [41%]
West Coast - 34 [22%] (includes 22 in California)
East Coast - 33 [21%] (North of DC)
South - 27 [17%] (South of DC, includes TX)

For a midwest public school, where a lot of people really want to stay in the midwest bc that's where they're from and/or they want to be near family and friends... I think this is a pretty even distribution. But make your own judgement...

... I personally don't want to believe all that's said in there, but some of it is really scary like grade deflation during third year and the fact that Michigan's rep has no effect for coast residency placements.

Also, I know there is a lot of positive things about Michigan but I would like to hear some of the things that the current students don't like about UMich so that I'd be able to make a more informed decision.
I will dig up the specifics of some things that I've heard before, but I know that the whole "Michigan rep" thing is BS. It is true that if you pick random people off the street on either coast, they'll be less likely to realize what a strong program Michigan has. The people who need to know, however, definitely do.

Ironically, I experience the same thing as a Michigander who went to Penn. Many people around here don't know the school exists, or assume I really meant to say Penn State. I did not have to worry about the people who need to know what Penn is all about (med school admissions) not knowing. You'll find the same thing with med school. The average joe on the street out west or back east might not know that, in the immortal words of Ron Burgundy, you're "kind of a big deal" but residency directors definitely will! :D

I've never heard anything about grade deflation. I do know that we get our asses kicked 3rd year. But I also know that part of the process helps to make us very prepared for residency. I know it will be hard, but I'm really looking forward to getting past the basic sciences and onto the wards. :thumbup:

Since you asked, I'll give you one thing that I don't like: I wish they'd move the closing time for M1 tests and quizzes up from 8am on Monday to Midnight Sunday night. That extra 8 hours really just equates to about 7 hours of additional procrastination/distraction for me throughout the week.

Really, they pretty much bend over backwards to accommodate student wishes. For example, we've recently worked with administration and faculty to revamp the quiz/exam policies. Quiz results are posted for longer periods of time (often through the final exam during some sequences) so that students have more access to them for review and studying. Also, after student prompting, the testing software underwent a bit of an overhaul so that we receive immediate feedback on not only right vs. wrong, but info on what the correct answers actually. It has really expanded the opportunity to use all of the tests as learning tools - something the pass/fail system is supposed to be about.

No place is perfect, and there will definitely be things about Michigan (or any other place) that each individual med student would change. All-in-all, Michigan is a pretty damn good place that people are very happy with.

Just got my financial aid package back from UofM...no love at all. I wish they just would have said, "We can't help you at all." (Sigh)

Did you send the email to ask for the estimate or did you get your actual financial aid package?

sent the email to get the financial aid estimate yesterday, got it in an email today. also, never been more excited for soul crushing debt. no help from the alma mater....

Every year there are "rumors" that Michigan kids "can't" match on the coasts. Here's the distribution of the match list this year (I've included a couple people that elected not to have their names printed in the official list... just in case you don't think these add up right):

Midwest - 64 [41%]
West Coast - 34 [22%] (includes 22 in California)
East Coast - 33 [21%] (North of DC)
South - 27 [17%] (South of DC, includes TX)

For a midwest public school, where a lot of people really want to stay in the midwest bc that's where they're from and/or they want to be near family and friends... I think this is a pretty even distribution. But make your own judgement...

I will dig up the specifics of some things that I've heard before, but I know that the whole "Michigan rep" thing is BS. It is true that if you pick random people off the street on either coast, they'll be less likely to realize what a strong program Michigan has. The people who need to know, however, definitely do.

Ironically, I experience the same thing as a Michigander who went to Penn. Many people around here don't know the school exists, or assume I really meant to say Penn State. I did not have to worry about the people who need to know what Penn is all about (med school admissions) not knowing. You'll find the same thing with med school. The average joe on the street out west or back east might not know that, in the immortal words of Ron Burgundy, you're "kind of a big deal" but residency directors definitely will! :D

I've never heard anything about grade deflation. I do know that we get our asses kicked 3rd year. But I also know that part of the process helps to make us very prepared for residency. I know it will be hard, but I'm really looking forward to getting past the basic sciences and onto the wards. :thumbup:

Since you asked, I'll give you one thing that I don't like: I wish they'd move the closing time for M1 tests and quizzes up from 8am on Monday to Midnight Sunday night. That extra 8 hours really just equates to about 7 hours of additional procrastination/distraction for me throughout the week.

Really, they pretty much bend over backwards to accommodate student wishes. For example, we've recently worked with administration and faculty to revamp the quiz/exam policies. Quiz results are posted for longer periods of time (often through the final exam during some sequences) so that students have more access to them for review and studying. Also, after student prompting, the testing software underwent a bit of an overhaul so that we receive immediate feedback on not only right vs. wrong, but info on what the correct answers actually. It has really expanded the opportunity to use all of the tests as learning tools - something the pass/fail system is supposed to be about.

No place is perfect, and there will definitely be things about Michigan (or any other place) that each individual med student would change. All-in-all, Michigan is a pretty damn good place that people are very happy with.

Thanks for the reassuring comments you guys. I guess I just got scared for nothing after reading that thread.

sent the email to get the financial aid estimate yesterday, got it in an email today. also, never been more excited for soul crushing debt. no help from the alma mater....

I sent an email and got an estimate...no institutional scholarships, grants, or loans. All of my education will be financed by federal loans. So basically they just gave me the bill. What ever happened to the aid in financial aid. Ha, the army medical school scholarship isn't looking too bad!:laugh:

regarding matching fears...

I overheard this year there was an M4 who failed to match into orthopedic surgery. He had to scramble -- and scrambled into radiology at Yale (ranked 14th by NIH dept. funding). Of course take the story with a grain of salt -- I have no idea what his grades, board scores, or essays were like -- but I think it still speaks well for the reputation that Michigan has!

I've spoken with M4s who say that they work you thoroughly in M3, but that means that you're better prepared than most other graduating med students. For example, one of the Michigan students told me that she was required to spend time in the Pediatric ICU during her rotation, while a residency interviewee she met from another school said she wasn't allowed to spend time in the PICU. Michigan expects a lot out of its students and it gets results.

I sent an email and got an estimate...no institutional scholarships, grants, or loans. All of my education will be financed by federal loans. So basically they just gave me the bill. What ever happened to the aid in financial aid.

Ditto. Can any current students address this issue: whether the estimate is usually that much different from the actual package? Is what I'm seeing in the estimate, or rather, not seeing, what I can expect to get?

Also, why did this thread die? Where's the enthusiasm people? We must all be getting our financial aid estimates. :laugh:

Ditto. Can any current students address this issue: whether the estimate is usually that much different from the actual package? Is what I'm seeing in the estimate, or rather, not seeing, what I can expect to get?

Also, why did this thread die? Where's the enthusiasm people? We must all be getting our financial aid estimates. :laugh:

Yes where is the enthusiasm people? This thread was 10 pages long last year at this time. I guess nobody wants to go to Michigan this year because they were ranked 11th :(

I talked to Robet Ruiz the other day (btw - does he have his PhD? I always thought it was Dr. Ruiz but was corrected by a friend). He said for IS to expect more like 200K total. He also gave me a great figure that was somewhat reassuring, that 41% of students have 200K in debt at graduation. At least I know I'm not the only one going it alone...

I guess nobody wants to go to Michigan this year because they were ranked 11th :(

Moved up to number 10 baby! :cool: Someone needs to start conversation on this thread- Incoming M1s- where are you all from? Current students- what one thing do you wish you knew coming into med school at Michigan?

I talked to Robet Ruiz the other day (btw - does he have his PhD? I always thought it was Dr. Ruiz but was corrected by a friend). He said for IS to expect more like 200K total. He also gave me a great figure that was somewhat reassuring, that 41% of students have 200K in debt at graduation. At least I know I'm not the only one going it alone...

200 thousand dollars!?!? It's nice to know that others before us have survived with that much debt... I thought about the costs of Michigan and med schools in general when I received my estimate, but I decided that I wasn't going to go into some other field just because of the costs so unless I get some amazing offer from some place else of comparable quality it wasn't really worth worrying about- more something I'm just going to have to accept as a fact of life and move on.

And about Mr. / Dr. Ruiz - Someone (who may or may not have known what they were talking about) told me he was a grad student in sociology at one point, so I would assume that would lead up to a PhD. The person who introduced him on interview day called him Dr. Ruiz, but I've heard others say Mister. It's a mystery- we'll have to corner him some time during orientation and make him talk! He seems like a really decent guy.

After reading everyone's posts I am getting nervous to see my FA estimate! In the end, I guess it doesn't really matter much though...I am going to UofM regardless.

In better news, I emailed the ITCS Accounts Office today because I was having trouble logging in with my new uniqname/password - and I got a response within two minutes! At least we can rest assured that our technology troubles can be solved quickly. (Although I should point out that the solution to my problem was super obvious and I wont be surprised if they rescind my acceptance for not figuring it out myself :rolleyes: )

Moved up to number 10 baby! :cool: Someone needs to start conversation on this thread- Incoming M1s- where are you all from? Current students- what one thing do you wish you knew coming into med school at Michigan?

Actually, number 9 :laugh:
I really can't say where I'm from because sadly, I'm the only one from my school.
I guess that counts as a hint, right?

I talked to Robet Ruiz the other day. He also gave me a great figure that was somewhat reassuring, that 41% of students have 200K in debt at graduation. At least I know I'm not the only one going it alone...

Hmmm...interesting. According to US News, 2005 Michigan grads had an avg. debt of $108,256. Assuming that 41% figure was accurate back then as well, 51% of the class should have an avg debt of about $45,000. I was hoping that low debt figure for the majority of the class was due to generous aid, but I guess not. Resigning myself to not only 6 figures of debt but debt around $200K is a bitter pill to swallow. It kind of sucks they don't take into account undergraduate debt. If it is like this with other schools, then there really is nothing to do except to keep it pushing. :rolleyes:

Hmmm...interesting. According to US News, 2005 Michigan grads had an avg. debt of $108,256. Assuming that 41% figure was accurate back then as well, 51% of the class should have an avg debt of about $45,000. I was hoping that low debt figure for the majority of the class was due to generous aid, but I guess not. Resigning myself to not only 6 figures of debt but debt around $200K is a bitter pill to swallow. It kind of sucks they don't take into account undergraduate debt. If it is like this with other schools, then there really is nothing to do except to keep it pushing. :rolleyes:

I bet the debt distribution is bimodal. You have a few kids who get the whole thing covered and have zero debt (severely bringing down the debt average), and then the rest who got nothing from mom and dad and have the 200K in loans. That would be my take on the statistics.

I bet the debt distribution is bimodal. You have a few kids who get the whole thing covered and have zero debt (severely bringing down the debt average), and then the rest who got nothing from mom and dad and have the 200K in loans. That would be my take on the statistics.

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense. It'd be more helpful if they published the statistic as "of those with debt, the average debt was:" That way you could get a better idea of what to expect.

So who here is going to be visiting us this weekend?

Man, the Michigan bunch seems to be lacking in spirit this year. That Baylor thread is already 12 pages long :eek:

If you all don't start posting more, I will post something totally useless every 15 minutes just so we can catch up to the class of 2010 and all those other schools.

If you think I'm lying, just watch :cool:

Man, the Michigan bunch seems to be lacking in spirit this year. That Baylor thread is already 12 pages long :eek:

If you all don't start posting more, I will post something totally useless every 15 minutes just so we can catch up to the class of 2010 and all those other schools.

If you think I'm lying, just watch :cool:

This isn't the Duke thread, and you aren't FemalesCantDrive. I think as May approaches things will pick up.