University of Michigan - Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After careful consideration, I have decided to attend UM!
Anyone else out there that know they will be attending UM in the fall? :D

I am definitely excited although the task of moving so far away does seem daunting...
hahah yeah i'm somewhat dreading the process of finding rommates and housing off campus. a bit lost on how i'm going to find a place for myself when i'll be looking from california... ^^;

Can't wait until August!!! >.<

I'm heading to Ann Arbor in the fall too :)

Members don't see this ad.

Heyyy! Glad you decided to go to UM! I will be going there toooo!

After careful consideration, I have decided to attend UM!
Anyone else out there that know they will be attending UM in the fall? :D

I am definitely excited although the task of moving so far away does seem daunting...
hahah yeah i'm somewhat dreading the process of finding rommates and housing off campus. a bit lost on how i'm going to find a place for myself when i'll be looking from california... ^^;

Can't wait until August!!! >.<

Has anyone been recently admitted after being deferred initially? I contacted Dean Perry and she said that deferred applicants will only be reviewed again in April, but I was under the impression that some people got in after initial deferral.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

For those that have gotten accepted or have at least interviewed, would you mind sharing your stats as well as EC?

It would greatly appreciated,
Thank You!

Hey everyone,
I read a couple of people that will be attending UMich. I interviewed yesterday and got a decision of being defer until final pool in April. Sucks, I really really wanted to come here. So I want to know if anyone knows what are the chances of being accepted if you are deferred??
????

Hello all,

this forum helped me so much when I was applying that I thought I should take the time and give back!

I'm currently a P2 student who has actually finished the required "research project" aka PharmD project. If you have any questions on that, I'd be happy to answer.

Also, I'm originally from southern california and completed my bachelor's at UCSD in biochem/cell biology if you have any questions about pre-requisites :)

Interviewed, deferred, and denied.

3.6 cGPA, 70 PCAT, B.S. Physiology, 3 strong letters of recommendation, strong admissions essays, multiple volunteer experiences with patient contact, 2 years community pharmacy work experience, multiple hospital/clinical shadowing experiences, research experience, fluent in another language with work experience in the field, president of a prominent student organization.

Good luck to all those still seeking admission.

Hi,

For those that have gotten accepted or have at least interviewed, would you mind sharing your stats as well as EC?

Thank You!

Hi there! I was accepted after my interview in December.

Here's my stats:
3.5 GPA, B.A. in Biology, 98 Cumulative PCAT

...and my EC:
volunteered for a summer at retail pharmacy, a semester at pharmacy in my university's health center, a year of researching at a lab on campus, and I was one of the leaders in a non-science related club at my university for a year.

Hope this helps and good luck~ :D

(oh, and from the feedback I got from UM, I think my interview really made a big impact in their decision to admit me. Being prepared for the interview and being confident and sincere in my answers really helped me make a good impression on the admission committee.)

Hi,

Thank You!

~3.1 GPA (science was sadly a little lower), BA in Economics, 91 PCAT.
EC: Few months working at CVS, MentoringUSA leader for 4 years, Work experience in business related field. Nothing too crazy...

I was deferred at first though, and then accepted later.

I was wondering, for the people who have fully committed, what made you commit? I convinced myself of Colorado, and yet I keep having second thoughts. :(

Hi sparkly09! It looks like you got deferred then accepted do you mind telling me when you got an acceptance after initially being deferred. I am in the deferred pool and have not heard anything back and was just wondering.

Thanks!

EC: Few months working at CVS, MentoringUSA leader for 4 years, Work experience in business related field. Nothing too crazy...

I was wondering, for the people who have fully committed, what made you commit? I convinced myself of Colorado, and yet I keep having second thoughts. :(

Hi sparkly09! It looks like you got deferred then accepted do you mind telling me when you got an acceptance after initially being deferred. I am in the deferred pool and have not heard anything back and was just wondering.

Thanks!

I interviewed back in October and was officially accepted in December. But I only recently got my packet :confused: Kind of confusing lol, but wish you the best of luck!

Interviewed...deferred and ......nothing. At this point i made up my mind for Wayne State. i would not even bother taking Immunology which i'm missing from the pre requirements for u of m.

If anyone has been accepted to this school, please let me know so you can be added to the roll call for 2014/2015. Please post in the sticky thread or PM me your acceptances and the program you will be attending (if accepted to multiple schools).:)

Members don't see this ad :)

I know how you feel! I was accepted to UIC and UMichigan around the same time. Both are great schools (University of Colorado included!). Ultimately it comes down to price and where you want to spend the next 3 to 4 years of your life.

For me anytime every time I thought about where I wanted to be I always ended up seeing myself in Chicago.

Hi,

I'll be attending UoM in the fall also! I thought the research project was completed during the fourth year. How did you go about finishing it early?

Thanks!

How did you finance your UM PharmD education? What was the financial aid package like? Did the PharmD roommate housing situation helpful?

The only reason I am having second thoughts is the cost of tuition & living...

Hi all! For those of you who have been accepted to or are currently attending University of Michigan, do you have any recommendations for places to live? Also, when should I start looking and actually lease the apartment? I'm from California and will be attending UM during fall. I'm trying to look for an apartment online, but many of the apartments I've looked at have some pretty bad reviews. I'm looking for a place that's not like super far from campus, but it doesn't have to be too close neither. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!!

Seriously though... I was killing myself over finding a place this past week even though I'm still undecided if I want to attend UM. I found the BEST 2 bedroom apartment (I didn't even have a roommate yet). Fully furnished. Super modern. Came with 42' LCD mounted. Granite kitchen tops. And it was leased the same day...

With that said... I dunno if you should break your back looking for places (at least on craigslist) until you know if you're living alone or with someone else. if you're going to live alone, you can sign leases ahead of time for aug-aug or sept-sept.

I did my undergrad at U of M. I found the apartments in Fuller St to be quite a bargain. 1020 a month, 2 bedrooms (1 large, 1 small). Split it with 3 people and its like 340 a month.

Thanks for all the information everyone! I just found out about this apartment called Eastwind Apartments on South Huron St. It seems like a pretty good place for a decent price. Anyone heard about it?

Thanks for all the information everyone! I just found out about this apartment called Eastwind Apartments on South Huron St. It seems like a pretty good place for a decent price. Anyone heard about it?

hi~ i'm from socal too!! >_< what area are you from?

for me, finding a roommate is a bit more troubling than finding a place to stay right now. i heard from a few current students that you don't have to start looking for places until march or april.

i'm just really anxious to see my fellow students for class of 2015!
i've looked on fb to see if there's been a group formed for class of 2015, but i guess it's not up yet T_T

hi~ i'm from socal too!! >_< what area are you from?

for me, finding a roommate is a bit more troubling than finding a place to stay right now. i heard from a few current students that you don't have to start looking for places until march or april.

i'm just really anxious to see my fellow students for class of 2015!
i've looked on fb to see if there's been a group formed for class of 2015, but i guess it's not up yet T_T

I'm from the Bay Area in NorCal. It's nice to know that there'll be a few people from California :) So current students said we don't have to start looking until March or April?? And I was worried I was late already lol

Only a few more months left until school starts... I'm excited!!

Last edited:
I'm from the Bay Area in NorCal. It's nice to know that I won't be the only one from California :) So current students said we don't have to start looking until March or April?? And I was worried I was late already lol

Only a few more months left until school starts... I'm excited!!

Ahh.. I went to school in the bay area :)
From what I've seen so far, we definitely won't be the only ones from CA. I think there are quite a few actually... :p

And yes, the ones I asked told me we don't have to worry about apts just yet. Are you thinking of living by yourself or with a roommate? I know I'm definitely going to live with someone else to minimize costs, but I'm just not sure I'll be able to find a compatible roommate when I don't really personally know anyone that will be heading to UM in the fall T_T;;

I was also talking to a current P1 and she told me that we will get a list of students who are attending around April or May? so we can find possible roommates during that time :)

By the way, I am also in the bay area! so excited that there are so many people going from California!! are you guys thinking about bringing a car over? I am debating if I want to drive over to ship my car over...

I was also talking to a current P1 and she told me that we will get a list of students who are attending around April or May? so we can find possible roommates during that time :)

By the way, I am also in the bay area! so excited that there are so many people going from California!! are you guys thinking about bringing a car over? I am debating if I want to drive over to ship my car over...

Yeah i really want a car with me at UM... but i'm not sure how i would do it quite yet. what are you planning to do with your car during the long summer and winter breaks? you can't just leave your car in the garage, it's not good for the car... and i'm not sure if i want to ship/drive my car back to ca every time i have a break T_T

does anyone have suggestions on how to own a car while living in UM and having a home far far away from Michigan? ^^;

Yeah i really want a car with me at UM... but i'm not sure how i would do it quite yet. what are you planning to do with your car during the long summer and winter breaks? you can't just leave your car in the garage, it's not good for the car... and i'm not sure if i want to ship/drive my car back to ca every time i have a break T_T

does anyone have suggestions on how to own a car while living in UM and having a home far far away from Michigan? ^^;

I plan to live by myself for the first year, but will most likely look for roomates for the second year. During the summer or even during the school year you could look for places to store your vehicle on craigslist- most people own apartment complexes or homes and rent their extra parking spots out to students. I currently live about 45 minute away from michigan campus, so if anyone needs help getting to know the area I would be happy to answer questions via pm's.

Ahh.. I went to school in the bay area :)
From what I've seen so far, we definitely won't be the only ones from CA. I think there are quite a few actually... :p

And yes, the ones I asked told me we don't have to worry about apts just yet. Are you thinking of living by yourself or with a roommate? I know I'm definitely going to live with someone else to minimize costs, but I'm just not sure I'll be able to find a compatible roommate when I don't really personally know anyone that will be heading to UM in the fall T_T;;

Yea, it's definitely hard finding a compatible roommate when you don't know anyone yet. That's why I'm gonna just live with my boyfriend for the first year since he'll be moving there with me too.

You're from the bay too? Cool!! My boyfriend is thinking about shipping his car over since he doesn't want to drive so far, but we're still looking for a reliable company to ship it. Do you know of any good companies that'll ship it for a decent price?

I plan to live by myself for the first year, but will most likely look for roomates for the second year. During the summer or even during the school year you could look for places to store your vehicle on craigslist- most people own apartment complexes or homes and rent their extra parking spots out to students. I currently live about 45 minute away from michigan campus, so if anyone needs help getting to know the area I would be happy to answer questions via pm's.

Hmm... do you think students need a car during their first year? how easy is it to get around ann arbor for groceries, shopping, etc without a car?

Hmm... do you think students need a car during their first year? how easy is it to get around ann arbor for groceries, shopping, etc without a car?

It's not a "necessity" to have a vehicle in Ann Arbor, but it certainly would be very convenient. If you live on North Campus, there are a couple of grocery stores and there is a relatively large mall around there. Central Campus has a lot more convenient stores where you can get small things (milk/eggs), but if you want more than that you likely will have to venture out to North Campus. On the flip side, Central Campus is where the P school is located (where we will be spending a ton of time) and where most of the social activities will be taking place. Ann Arbor has two types of bus systems running through it- U of M buses (which go from campus to campus), and "the ride" bus system. http://www.theride.org/ is the website for the ride. I know the Michigan buses are free, but I think the other buses we have to pay for.

Hope this helps!

It's not a "necessity" to have a vehicle in Ann Arbor, but it certainly would be very convenient. If you live on North Campus, there are a couple of grocery stores and there is a relatively large mall around there. Central Campus has a lot more convenient stores where you can get small things (milk/eggs), but if you want more than that you likely will have to venture out to North Campus. On the flip side, Central Campus is where the P school is located (where we will be spending a ton of time) and where most of the social activities will be taking place. Ann Arbor has two types of bus systems running through it- U of M buses (which go from campus to campus), and "the ride" bus system. http://www.theride.org/ is the website for the ride. I know the Michigan buses are free, but I think the other buses we have to pay for.

Hope this helps!

I love how AA is structured. so organized. so nice. so clean. so friendly. so entertaining. so smart. so many hot girls.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your reply!

One more question for you. Does Ann Arbor have a "car-sharing" program like Zipcars or City Car Share? Or do you know any places that might provide long-term rentals (for me to rent a car during the semester and return when i'm on break)?

Thanks for your reply!

One more question for you. Does Ann Arbor have a "car-sharing" program like Zipcars or City Car Share? Or do you know any places that might provide long-term rentals (for me to rent a car during the semester and return when i'm on break)?

Here is a link to the zipcar ann arbor website- http://www.zipcar.com/umich/

I am not sure about long term rental cars, but I know that there are a lot of enterprise rental stations located on or near campus. You can call one of them and see if they offer some type of student discount or long term rental packages.

Yea, it's definitely hard finding a compatible roommate when you don't know anyone yet. That's why I'm gonna just live with my boyfriend for the first year since he'll be moving there with me too.

You're from the bay too? Cool!! My boyfriend is thinking about shipping his car over since he doesn't want to drive so far, but we're still looking for a reliable company to ship it. Do you know of any good companies that'll ship it for a decent price?

I haven't done much research for car shipping yet but I know my friend shipped her car over to Ohio for $700. I will ask her and get back to you on that!

Aww this thread is kind of dead :(

Has anyone gotten the financial aid award notice? How are you supposed to pay for the COA of $53,000 when they only offer you $30,000 in loans?!

I noticed many people got deferred for the final decisions. This initially happened to me too. Dean Perry told me that I would hear back from her early April, and by the end of April at the latest.

I was accepted far before those dates. Here's what I did.

During the interview I had (with dean perry) I was grilled pretty hard. (My original interviewer canceled last second, so Dean Perry filled in.) She tore me up. In particular, she mentioned my weak spots. She told me I was years behind in patient centered volunteer experiences. This seemingly unlucky occurrence turned out to be a real advantage for me.

When I got home, I immediately secured a patient based volunteer experience through my mom's work (a nursing home.) I e-mailed Dean Perry that I was starting immediately, and kept her updated on my status.

You CANNOT let yourself be forgotten in a pool of applicants. TALK TO DEAN PERRY. Ask her what is weak about your application. And MOST IMPORTANTLY - TELL HER what you are doing to improve that weakness once you have both agreed on it. Give her an update weekly or so - don't spam her, obviously. She is a busy woman.

That's what I did :D Good luck guys:luck: About one more month until the final decisions are done.

Aww this thread is kind of dead :(

Has anyone gotten the financial aid award notice? How are you supposed to pay for the COA of $53,000 when they only offer you $30,000 in loans?!

I haven't gotten my award notice yet since I still haven't turned in all my documents. So, they only offered you $30,000 in loans? Is that per semester or for the whole year? If that is for the whole year, then it is definitely not enough to cover everything. Did they offer you any other grants?

I haven't gotten my award notice yet since I still haven't turned in all my documents. So, they only offered you $30,000 in loans? Is that per semester or for the whole year? If that is for the whole year, then it is definitely not enough to cover everything. Did they offer you any other grants?

Its for the whole year, no grants at all. I think they only offer grants to P3s and P4s :(

I was interviewed during March and got deferred.
Does anyone know when the final decision comes out?

Can anyone tell me there stats they used to apply like PCAT score, GPA, EC and whether you got a B.S

Hello all,

this forum helped me so much when I was applying that I thought I should take the time and give back!

I'm currently a P2 student who has actually finished the required "research project" aka PharmD project. If you have any questions on that, I'd be happy to answer.

Also, I'm originally from southern california and completed my bachelor's at UCSD in biochem/cell biology if you have any questions about pre-requisites :)

Hi Jesheekah,

I'm also from UCSD and I was wondering what course you took to fulfill the stats pre-requisite? I've been looking around and its kind of hard to find one.

Also I was wondering what you think about the classes and how they prepare you for life after school? Do you think UOM helps prepare its' students well for the NAPLEX?

I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to be asking those questions but I thought you might know. Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.