University of Michigan vs. Weill Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueclues1223

Reaction score
I'm fortunate enough to have gotten into two great schools!! I'm from the east coast and have not yet fully thought about a possible specialty, but I do know I'd prefer to match back to the east coast eventually! Plus, I think I want a community focus throughout med school/eventually in my career. Here are my pros/cons for each school, I'd love to get some insight!

Michigan

+:
  • I loved the interview day! It was planned really well and everyone I met was welcoming and genuinely seemed to love the school.
  • 1 year pre-clinical (also kind of seems intense, though)
  • Quizzes are biweekly/flex quizzing
  • Really strong master's programs (potentially interested in public health)
-:
  • While Ann Arbor is a nice town, it seems like it might be dull at times
  • Would likely need a car
  • Cold
  • Potential lack of diversity in Ann Arbor? It seems like you have to organize your own rotations in Detroit/urban areas
  • Has AOA based on clinical grades? Scary in light of P/F Step 1, especially

Weill Cornell

+:
  • 1.5 year pre-clinical: I'm glad it's shorter than 2 years, and 1.5 (vs Michigan's 1) seems like it leaves some room to breathe
  • New York City!!! Exciting because there's tons to do, plus the diversity of NYC (tons of great clinical sites)
  • Tons of opportunities for community outreach in NYC
  • MIGHT be easier to match back to east coast
  • Technology costs included in tuition
  • Potential for debt free tuition

-:
  • Did not love the housing in Olin :/
  • Weekly quizzes -- seems like this could be intense/make every weekend stressful
  • NYC is crowded and can be overwhelming
Neutral:
  • Not sure what their AOA is based on?
Overall, both schools seem really amazing and offer great clinical and research opportunities! Just need some thoughts to help me make the decision!

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not a lot but about 10-20k a year? Also saving money from not needing a car
Debt free tuition is a plus & not needing a car is a nother plus. I think Michigan is probably more of a relaxed environment than Cornell but that's speculation. I've also heard students really like the 1 year preclinical curriculum at Michigan. If you want to match on the east coast, you can from either school but Cornell is closer to them obviously. If cost isn't a factor, I'd just think about where you'll be happier and closer to a support network

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Debt free tuition is a plus & not needing a car is a nother plus. I think Michigan is probably more of a relaxed environment than Cornell but that's speculation. I've also heard students really like the 1 year preclinical curriculum at Michigan. If you want to match on the east coast, you can from either school but Cornell is closer to them obviously. If cost isn't a factor, I'd just think about where you'll be happier and closer to a support network
+1 on this

Just to answer some of your cons about Cornell though ... as I am also considering going here ...

• Olin sucks, but it's only for one year. I think most students do it though, and I think it's a great way to build relationships with your peers (potentially me?!) Not sure if you got to visit, but the student housing after that is a lot better.
  • Weekly quizzes -- seems like this could be intense/make every weekend stressful
    • Some student commented in the thread and said they weren't stressful. It's P/F after all. I think it'll be good just to keep us accountable in terms of not falling to far behind
    • I'm anxious of this too tbh. Not sure I'm a city guy ... but it has the added bonus of having lots to do outside of school. I think it can be a good change.
Neutral:
    • I asked a current student and I believe it's clinical grades as well. A certain percentage get nominated based off that and then they delve deeper into your ECs, etc. to determine it. Apparently majority of current students have voted that they don't like AOA, so potentially it might get removed altogether? This is just speculation though.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like you're more enthusiastic about Cornell than Michigan just from the way you wrote this. I would go to Cornell because you want to match back in the east coast too. All of their matches are mostly east coast. I'd maybe just wait for financial aid though, cuz if Cornell is >50k more than Michigan then I would think twice.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
+1 on this

Just to answer some of your cons about Cornell though ... as I am also considering going here ...

• Olin sucks, but it's only for one year. I think most students do it though, and I think it's a great way to build relationships with your peers (potentially me?!) Not sure if you got to visit, but the student housing after that is a lot better.
    • Some student commented in the thread and said they weren't stressful. It's P/F after all. I think it'll be good just to keep us accountable in terms of not falling to far behind
    • I'm anxious of this too tbh. Not sure I'm a city guy ... but it has the added bonus of having lots to do outside of school. I think it can be a good change.
Neutral:
    • I asked a current student and I believe it's clinical grades as well. A certain percentage get nominated based off that and then they delve deeper into your ECs, etc. to determine it. Apparently majority of current students have voted that they don't like AOA, so potentially it might get removed altogether? This is just speculation though.

Thanks for sharing!! AOA’s the same at both schools I guess! Here’s hoping they change it

It sounds like you're more enthusiastic about Cornell than Michigan just from the way you wrote this. I would go to Cornell because you want to match back in the east coast too. All of their matches are mostly east coast. I'd maybe just wait for financial aid though, cuz if Cornell is >50k more than Michigan then I would think twice.

I think Cornell would probably give more FA (if any).