University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you who have submitted your supplemental, how many pages was your resume and what did you all include? I am finding it hard to condense it down to 1-2 pages and include all of my activities throughout my undergraduate career... Thanks advance for your help!
 
Good luck! There's lots of good info at the UofM COPs official forum, including what other interviewees thought about their interview days. Would definitely check it out to get an idea of what to expect:

http://umcop.yuku.com
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ughhh deferred until December. Oh well, at least I got accepted into another pharmacy school so I def. have somewhere to go lol.
 
Just got an interview invite today!! For any of you out-of-state applicants who interviewed at Michigan recently, is there any transportation to take you from the airport to the campus? Also, what hotels are there that are on campus? Any recommendations?
 
Just got an interview invite today!! For any of you out-of-state applicants who interviewed at Michigan recently, is there any transportation to take you from the airport to the campus? Also, what hotels are there that are on campus? Any recommendations?

i took the taxi from the airport to my hotel; was hella expensive :S. i stayed at towneplace suites by the mariott south ann arbor, it was really nice (though a bit expensive, but right now they're doing some 50% off promotions thing) and a busride away from the main campus.
 
Just got an interview invite today!! For any of you out-of-state applicants who interviewed at Michigan recently, is there any transportation to take you from the airport to the campus? Also, what hotels are there that are on campus? Any recommendations?

When is your interview?
 
i took the taxi from the airport to my hotel; was hella expensive :S. i stayed at towneplace suites by the mariott south ann arbor, it was really nice (though a bit expensive, but right now they're doing some 50% off promotions thing) and a busride away from the main campus.

Thank you for your help! Also, do you remember what time the entire day was over at? In the e-mail, it says that it will end at approximately 3:00 p.m... do you remember if this was around the time you all were released? I'm trying to only stay in Michigan for one night and fly out the Friday after my interview, but the last flight is at 5 p.m. so I'm not sure if I would be able to make it to the airport in time....

Thanks for the advice!
 
Hey everyone!

I'll be starting my P1 year at UM this fall. SDN helped me out a lot when I was applying so feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns during the application process.

Good luck to all of you! 🙂

Hi,
I am working on my secondary application and will submit it by 29th of November. I know I am doing it at the last minute, which I shouldn't. I am working on my resume. Should the content of my resume be the same as that of mine for job applicaiton? I am not sure what should I include in there?
So far my contents are
Objective:
Education:
Working Experience;
Leadership Experience:/Volunteering Expereince/ Extracurricular Activities:
Hobbies:
I am wondering whether I should include course works since I have already filled them in the secondary application.
If someone who got acceptance or is alreday in school can help, I am really appreciate it.

Ayae
 
How long has it taken everyone to hear back from them? I submitted my application + supplemental at the end of October and haven't heard anything... Is this common?
 
Thank you for your help! Also, do you remember what time the entire day was over at? In the e-mail, it says that it will end at approximately 3:00 p.m... do you remember if this was around the time you all were released? I'm trying to only stay in Michigan for one night and fly out the Friday after my interview, but the last flight is at 5 p.m. so I'm not sure if I would be able to make it to the airport in time....

Thanks for the advice!

Np, the entire day was from 9 to 330ish, the interviews were from 10 to 1130ish, then some current students take you out to lunch. After lunch is a brief tour and then you guys sit in a pharmacy class--but if you need to leave, you can probably leave after the tour, so around 2 pm?
 
Hey all,
Just recently decided to apply to UofM's COP. Wanted to post a few questions on here.

1. How long after you applied and they received ALL of you materials, did it take to hear back from them?
2. Any current students have any inside information on their potential future international rotation sites?
3. Current students - Thoughts/feelings on the quality of the school?
4. Do they want to know about family members that are affiliated with the school?

Thanks
 
Hey there!

Re: International Rotation Sites - If I remember correctly from orientation, it sounds like they're cutting back on their international rotation sites. I don't think they're eliminating them all together, but I'll admit I was a little disappointed to learn this as international rotation potential was one [of many] reasons I chose Michigan. HOWEVER, there remains ample opportunity to study pharmacy abroad through the International Pharmaceutical Students' Federation (IPSF) which you're automatically a member of if you join the American Pharmacists Association (APhA). But you can read about the experiences of UM COP students who have had the opportunity to do rotations abroad here: http://umcop.blogspot.com/

As for the quality of the school - top notch, and I won't deny I'm truly feeling the rigor of the program now that finals are just around the corner! A new curriculum went into effect three years ago which makes our program pretty cutting edge, I think. One of the unique parts of the curriculum is the communications component. First semester P1 year you take a class on patient communications in which you counsel patient actors, practice empathic response, motivational interviewing, medication history, etc. It's very practical and not something I saw at the other schools where I interviewed. Then there's the PharmD Investigations project, of course. Another cool thing about Michigan is that 5 of your 11 elective credits may be anything you'd like in the whole university. One of my classmates took French this semester, while a handful of others took a class about aliens! The program aims to develop well-rounded individuals, hence this liberty.

Annnnnnnd now I'm rambling so I'll wrap up by saying no, they don't want to know about family members that are affiliated with the school. They want to know why YOU chose Michigan based on the merits of our specific pharmacy program, not based on people you know who may have attended.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have more questions. And as always, myself and several other current students are available at the U of M COP official forum:

http://umcop.yuku.com
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, does anyone have the link to the averages interviewed/accepted for UofM?

Also, if they just received my materials today, will they be conducting my interview (theoretically) before February, or after?
 
Do you feel like the small class size has had much of an effect on your experience so far?

In what way? It's hard for me to compare, since I've obviously never attended a pharmacy school with a larger class size, but all in all I'd say it's a positive thing. There are 78 students in my P1 class, so not only do I know everybody, but the professors know everybody. I haven't noticed any issues with cliques or anything like that - people certainly have groups of friends that they hang out with, but there aren't exclusive circles of people who will refuse to invite you to gatherings or study with you or whatever. The small class size was one of the reasons I chose Michigan, and I do think it makes a difference in the amount of time professors are able to contribute to each student, etc. 🙂

Also, if they just received my materials today, will they be conducting my interview (theoretically) before February, or after?

It will definitely be next semester, as the last interview day of the Fall semester is this Friday, December 7th.
 
To those that got accepted, when did you guys get your formal admission letter? It's been two weeks since my admissions email and still nothing...
 
To those that got accepted, when did you guys get your formal admission letter? It's been two weeks since my admissions email and still nothing...
They're really behind with sending out official letters. I got in Nov 15 but didn't get my letter in the mail until Nov 29. You'll get an email from them soon enough to set up an online account to pay your deposit, etc so hang in there!
 
So has anyone that has been deferred hear anything from U of M yet? They said we would be notified in December during their review period but I'm getting worried now 🙁
 
Still haven't heard anything back!!! So I went ahead and emailed them and will hopefully find out what's going on
 
Nope. I haven't heard anything back but found out the faculty has been on vacation since the 24th. I might just call the office tomorrow and find out what's going on over there.


Have you heard anything yet? I wasn't deferred but emailed them and never got a response 😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Me too, though I made it a little bit earlier than the final deadline....getting a little anxious over here
 
Did anyone interview on the 11th? They said we would know today at the latest, and I still haven't heard back. I'm so anxious!
 
I got the email that I was deferred today. It says they are still reviewing candidates from December, so I wonder how long it will take for me to hear back again?
 
Does anyone know who's the best person in admissions to contact to check up on the status of your application? I got deferred back when I interviewed in December, and I wanted to check and see if my Academic Update from PharmCAS arrived. I tried contacting them earlier, but I haven't gotten any response. Or would it be easier to call?
 
Call. That is the best way to get ahold of them and you will probably get to talk to the main man himself, Mark Nelson. I know when I called to find out about the status of my application, I talked to the secretary and then got transferred to Mr. Nelson.


Does anyone know who's the best person in admissions to contact to check up on the status of your application? I got deferred back when I interviewed in December, and I wanted to check and see if my Academic Update from PharmCAS arrived. I tried contacting them earlier, but I haven't gotten any response. Or would it be easier to call?
 
I just got an interview request today....I turned my application in right at the deadline...does anyone have anymore interview input? I'd appreciate it! This seems like a long interview! It will be my third one...but the others were not nearly as long, so I'm not sure what to expect....thanks, any input would be appreciated!
 
Is there anyone else that was deferred after the January 11 interview? If so, did you hear anything back yet?
 
I just got deferred after interviewing last week....anyone else deferred? Any good news from people that were deferrerd? Geez....I'm having such a horrible month, and I'm trying to find hope somewhere....thanks
 
Just got accepted today after being deferred back in December. Needless to say, I'm excited to live in Ann Arbor for another 4 years!
 
Hey! Congratulations to all who were accepted! I'll be a dental student at University of Michigan starting this June. If any females are looking for a roommate (in a completely different graduate program), PM me! I thought this might be a nice way to branch out and get to know people in different grad programs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, for everyone who interviewed and heard back...how long did it take for you to initially receive an email, deference or otherwise?

I can't stop checking my mail haha 😛
 
Does anyone know if they have started putting people on the waitlist yet? I was deferred back in January, and then got an email in February saying that was still deferred. I'm hoping for good news!
 
Hi all, does anyone have any suggestions of where to look for scholarships for first-year pharmacy students and/or where to look for summer jobs as techs or in research? thanks! 👍