"University of Minnesota - College of Pharmacy"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm.D - Badger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who are also applying to the University of Minnesota - College of Pharmacy, does anyone know the first interview dates. The supplemental application came out on 08/28/14 and I submitted that day. I received an email on 09/02/14 stating that my application is verified and complete. They say it takes 2-4 weeks to process for an interview invitation. From my email, upcoming interview dates are on October 3rd and the 24th. Has anyone received anything or have an interview yet from them? I'm anxiously awaiting! I just want to be in the first round of interviewing applicants!!

Members don't see this ad.

I got my invitation to interview 5 days after I submitted my supplemental. I got in UMN on January 16th.
I also was interviewed at UWis-Madison on the 9th and got in today as "unanimous acceptance"
I was invited to Purdue for an interview but I turned them down, just a safety school on my list.
Being accepted to those 2 schools make my decision way harder. I also got in UMN graduate program so I am deciding on what to do...

I got my invitation to interview 5 days after I submitted my supplemental. I got in UMN on January 16th.
I also was interviewed at UWis-Madison on the 9th and got in today as "unanimous acceptance"
I was invited to Purdue for an interview but I turned them down, just a safety school on my list.
Being accepted to those 2 schools make my decision way harder. I also got in UMN graduate program so I am deciding on what to do...
I was accepted to UM-Twin Cities (Back in October) and UW-Madison (Last Week Unanimously). It was such a difficult decision for me as well but, I'm ultimately going to go to UW-Madison. I have always wanted to be a Badger, but after getting in to UM-Twin Cities, I was so torn between both schools. For me with everything said and done, going to UW-Madison as a WI resident, tuition alone is so much cheaper despite the fact that I get instate tuition at MN. It's like 16 grand per year at WI and 24 grand per year at MN. Also, since I'm from Milwaukee, UW-Madison is about an hour away (depending on how fast you drive), compared to MN being 5 hours away. Which means I'm closer to friends and family, yet far enough away! Living in the Twin Cities would have been more costly for me, not only for living, but for transportation (time being a factor, as well as, owning my own car). With all factors and variables that I calculated off my Pros and Cons list, I would save on average 30 to 40 thousand dollars in total for entire amount of my education (Tution, Average Cost of Books, Average Cost of Living (Depending on Location & Size of Apartment)). To me, that is a down payment on a house, a new car, or several vacations to the Caribbean or somewhere super cool. I can't fathom paying that much extra for essentially the same education. Yeah UM is ranked as the #3 school according to US News & World Report (With a 4.4 grade number) in comparison to UW-Madison being the #5 school (With a 4.2 grade number). Those figures are all subjective, and is .2 and between 30 - 40 thousand dollars, and 5 hours away worth it to be a Gopher? For me, no! That's based of my inner struggle of deciding which school to go to. No need to worry about making a good or bad decision on what school you choose because you can't lose either way, like me! You still have time so that's awesome! Good Luck! Future PharmD's! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
#3 vs #5 is virtually the same ranking. You made the right choice -- if you can save money on your PharmD, you should!

Reactions: 1 user
Could I ask how the interview process was? I know that it's a one-on-one interview, I'm just wondering how I should prepare myself. I have my interview coming up relatively soon.

Could I ask how the interview process was? I know that it's a one-on-one interview, I'm just wondering how I should prepare myself. I have my interview coming up relatively soon.

The interview was one on one, and it was probably one of the most relaxed interviews I've had. For preparation, make sure you know why you want to get into pharmacy, the role of the pharmacist (and what aspect of pharmacy are you interested in pursuing), and why the University of Minnesota. Make sure you can talk about any leadership experiences, how you handle conflicts, etc... Also keep in mind some potential questions to ask your interviewer. I had a very nice conversation with the person who interviewed me. It actually went really long, since we started talking about other things after the "interview". Most important, just be yourself. Very low stress.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your response. I will be sure to prepare for everything you have mentioned.

The interview was one on one, and it was probably one of the most relaxed interviews I've had. For preparation, make sure you know why you want to get into pharmacy, the role of the pharmacist (and what aspect of pharmacy are you interested in pursuing), and why the University of Minnesota. Make sure you can talk about any leadership experiences, how you handle conflicts, etc... Also keep in mind some potential questions to ask your interviewer. I had a very nice conversation with the person who interviewed me. It actually went really long, since we started talking about other things after the "interview". Most important, just be yourself. Very low stress.
I agree to this 100%. It was by far one of the best interview days for me! Super relaxed, and there was no essay! :)

haha yeah the no essay sounds awesome. The interview process actually seems really awesome, I'm just really hating the wait time leading up to the interview cause I keep over-thinking about stuff =/

it does not matter what pharmacy school you go to, choose the cheapest

it does not matter what pharmacy school you go to, choose the cheapest
It does matter. Don't go to a new school. Choose a solid state school (the cheapest one you get into) and you'll be fine.