University of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hockeyguy2010

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's probably too early, but has anybody heard back from the U of M? It said 4-6 weeks so I'm just wondering if anyone's been contacted.

Members don't see this ad.

Still in the process of applying, but it'll be nice to know, too!

Hockeyguy, did you have any troubles with getting your transcript and GRE score received in? It has been a month since I've sent mine in it still says 'pending'. I've emailed them, too, and have not gotten much of a response regarding my stuff. will probably have to call them soon once i'm done wrapping up my narratives.

Yeah it did take a long time for it to show up for me too. I sent the transcripts at the beginning of July and took the GRE July 12. I checked everyday to see if they received them and finally, about a week ago, they both showed up at the same time as 'completed.' It was weird though because they had called me with a question about my transcripts early in July so I knew they had them, it just wasn't showing up online. I would bet yours is in a similar situation where they have it but haven't updated online yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know it's probably too early, but has anybody heard back from the U of M? It said 4-6 weeks so I'm just wondering if anyone's been contacted.

I submitted my application a couple weeks ago, so I haven't heard anything as of yet. I'm guessing I'll hear something in early Sept. Hockeguy2010, did you receive an email from UM confirming your application was complete and currently being reviewed? My status is "complete" on all items so I'm assuming everything is fine and under consideration. Someone that was declined last year noted that they thought that they received a confirmation email from the university once the app was submitted and all items were received.

No, I never got an email saying it was complete or anything. I also just have complete for all items, so I assume that's fine.

Just submitted my application today. Please do let us know when you hear back from the U of M. Good luck! :)

For what it's worth - I submitted my application last year on 8/15, everything was marked as "complete" on 8/26 (and then was changed to "under review" shortly after), and my decision was emailed to me on 9/25. Good luck!

^Thank you, MissAllycat! Did you get accepted?

Out of curiosity, any updates from anyone? I haven't heard anything.

This week marks the 6th week for me. Keeping fingers crossed.

I heard back from them and was accepted into the program on September 4th. I did get my application in around mid July however.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard back from them and was accepted into the program on September 4th. I did get my application in around mid July however.
What were your stats? Just curious. I am planning on applying to the U of M when my cycle comes around.

My stats were:
GPA: 3.99
Pre-req GPA: 4.00
GRE: 159 V 158 Q 4 W
I had about 180 observation hours spanning several settings. If you want to know about anything else in particular just ask.

Congratulations! Wow, those are some great stats.

My stats were:
GPA: 3.99
Pre-req GPA: 4.00
GRE: 159 V 158 Q 4 W
I had about 180 observation hours spanning several settings. If you want to know about anything else in particular just ask.
Thanks! Yes those stats are awesome!! Congrats. This gives me an idea of what to work towards. Right now I have a 3.90 GPA 4.0 pre-req as a Bio major. Did you apply to/were accepted into any other schools? Any of these?: UW-Madison, UW-La Crosse, St. Scholastica. Those are schools I'm also looking at.

Thanks! Yes those stats are awesome!! Congrats. This gives me an idea of what to work towards. Right now I have a 3.90 GPA 4.0 pre-req as a Bio major. Did you apply to/were accepted into any other schools? Any of these?: UW-Madison, UW-La Crosse, St. Scholastica. Those are schools I'm also looking at.
I actually did not apply to any of those schools. Sorry I can't be any more help.

Any updates from the two who are past the 6 week mark?

I wonder what is taking them so long? Hopefully mine will change to under review once you guys get your notifications.

Finally received my decision yesterday and I have been accepted to U of M DPT!

Yay!!!!! Congrats, HockeyGuy!

Good luck to you, Skim. :)

Thank you! My stats are:

Cumulative GPA: 3.64
Prereq GPA: 3.54
GRE: V=152 Q=155 AW=3.5

Solid letters from a PT I interned with and a professor in my major who I also volunteered with. Over a thousand hours of health care experience through observations, volunteering, internship and working as a CNA.

Applied: University of Minnesota, UW-La Crosse
Accepted: U of M, UW-L
Attending: .......

Stats definitely aren't too special, but I think applying early and my experiences were able to make up for it.

Thank you! My stats are:

Cumulative GPA: 3.64
Prereq GPA: 3.54
GRE: V=152 Q=155 AW=3.5

Solid letters from a PT I interned with and a professor in my major who I also volunteered with. Over a thousand hours of health care experience through observations, volunteering, internship and working as a CNA.

Applied: University of Minnesota, UW-La Crosse
Accepted: U of M, UW-L
Attending: .......

Stats definitely aren't too special, but I think applying early and my experiences were able to make up for it.
Congrats! Applying early definitely seems helpful. Which one do you think you will attend?

Well I have visits scheduled with each in the next few days so we'll see..definitely nice to be on this side of the decision process ;)

Week 7 and I still haven't heard anything from UM. Each week that passes I am less hopeful that I'll receive the news I'm hoping for. At least I recently received an invitation from Mayo for an interview.

I would try calling. It was the 7th week for me and I finally called and Liz said there was some sort of mix up with emailing me the decision. I would bet the same happened to you

Thanks for that advice. Tried to call earlier today but Liz is out till next week, so I'll follow-up with her then.

Spoke with Liz Goebel this morning and she was kind enough to tell me over the phone that I've been accepted to the DPT program! What a relief! Evidently the faculty finished reviewing my file and voted last week Friday. Liz mentioned that this year they're on pace to receive more applications than they have received in previous years. Additionally, Liz also mentioned that it seems that more applicants are applying early this year which has delayed the review/processing time for applications to 8 weeks.

Bangn I think your next! Good luck! :)

Congrats, Skim! Will you be attending U of M? Good luck on the Mayo interview if you plan to go. And, thank you! It will be five weeks for me so I guess three more weeks of waiting (at the most).

Congratulations! I actually made the decision today to accept my offer to the program after meeting with Liz and some faculty yesterday. I was very impressed with the facilities there and am ecstatic to begin in July.

Congratulations! I actually made the decision today to accept my offer to the program after meeting with Liz and some faculty yesterday. I was very impressed with the facilities there and am ecstatic to begin in July.

That's awesome! What did you think of La Crosse?

Congrats again Hockeyguy2010!

Bangn, I haven't made a decision as of yet, but I'll need to very soon. I also have an acceptance at St. Kates, so like Hockeyguy2010, I'm planning to visit both programs and make a decision by 10/20. I've decided to decline the interview offer at Mayo.

Congrats on St. Kates! Let me know what you think of your visit. I plan to apply there as well.

Congrats again Hockeyguy2010!

Bangn, I haven't made a decision as of yet, but I'll need to very soon. I also have an acceptance at St. Kates, so like Hockeyguy2010, I'm planning to visit both programs and make a decision by 10/20. I've decided to decline the interview offer at Mayo.

Congrats on the acceptances! I also have been accepted to St. Kates and I am visiting the campus Friday to learn more. Haven't heard back from the U yet. What are your thoughts between St. Kates and UofM?

Treetops2 maybe we can discuss offline in more detail and share thoughts/notes by phone? I want to spare everyone a lengthy essay, so I 'll just make a few points.

1. Cost is something I'll definitely consider, but with that said it appears that the annual cost disparity isn't as significant as I had anticipated (based on very high level analysis, $26k + fees UM versus $28k + fees St. Kates). If anyone disagrees let me know, my analysis could be wrong. If the disparity was larger say $5k or more per year, UM would be my choice. It's something I'm going to take a closer look at this weekend.

2. I spoke to a PT that is a UM DPT alum and actually has taught a bit at the program in the past and he mentioned that when he graduated (10+ years ago) that there was no question which school had a better program (UM). Evidently in recent years St. Kates has really stepped up their game and now the distinction in terms of quality is not that clear, at least in this PT's eyes. This PT actually owns a practice with various locations throughout the Twin Cities and he has hired numerous St. Kates grads and mentioned that they're stellar.

3. Clinical exposure is important to me. With St. Kates spiral curriculum you get that exposure early and throughout the program which definitely appeals to me. My understanding is that you'll get that a little later at the U.

Bottom line, I'm keeping open to the idea of going to either place. I'm hoping after the visits the decision will be much easier to make. Like I mentioned before Treetops2, if you're interested in discussing by phone or in person, let's plan to discuss offline. Would be interested to hear what you have to say.

I have one really silly question for you and Hockeyguy2010. What do you wear for a site visit? Seems like a suit would be appropriate if it were a formal interview to be admitted into the program, but this isn't the case. Seems to me that a suit might be excessive in this situation. Was considering business casual for the visits, but wanted some feedback.

Reactions: 1 user
Treetops2, I've just been invited to visit the campus this Friday at 10:30 and sit in on a spinal rehab class. By chance are you going to be there at the same time?

Treetops2 it was great meeting you this morning! Good luck with your interview at the Mayo!

Congrats on St. Kates! Let me know what you think of your visit. I plan to apply there as well.

Hi Bangn, I had my visit with St. Kates last Friday and really liked the professors and the students. Their spiral curriculum model is really interesting and the students really seem to embrace it. I head over to UMN this Thurs and will make a decision by the end of this week.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, Skim. You'll have to come back and let us know your decision. By chance would any of you guys know how full St. Kates 2015 class is already?

This week will mark the 6th week of waiting for me at U of M and my application status has yet to be "under review". :/

Treetops2 it was great meeting you this morning! Good luck with your interview at the Mayo!

Hi Skim! Sorry it took me a while to get back to you! It was great to meet you as well. Hopefully you have a good idea of what school will be right for you after visiting the UMN.

Bangn -- I cannot remember exactly how full the class is for St. Kates, but I think it is nearly full. It is right on schedule they fill in mid/late-October I believe..?

Thanks, Treetops2, for the info. Have you heard back from the U of M?

Hey Bangn, I agree with Treetops comment regarding St. Kates. The co-chair mentioned being almost full and that the class would be filled by the end of the month. The impression I got was that apps received after this month would be considered for wait list spots. Guess in terms of timing this is typical for them.

Thanks, Treetops2, for the info. Have you heard back from the U of M?

Of course Skim! And no, I have not heard back from the U yet. I don't expect to until November probably, that makes the 6 week mark for my application (completed on 9/22 -- one reference held up it getting submitted earlier!).