University of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's a tough call. As of yesterday, 6/13, there has been zero movement, but I'm sure you've been keeping a close eye on the school's admissions statistics page. It looks like from years past people started getting pulled from the waitlist as early as May. Seems almost strange that there has been no movement so far. I did notice a post from last year that said some seats might begin to open once tuition is set in stone. That's all I got, though.
I kind of doubt we'll see much movement based on tuition this year. It looks like we're going to have one of the lowest tuition increases in recent history (~4 or 4.5%, from what I've seen, and less for out-of-staters).

Members don't see this ad.

I kind of doubt we'll see much movement based on tuition this year. It looks like we're going to have one of the lowest tuition increases in recent history (~4 or 4.5%, from what I've seen, and less for out-of-staters).
I'm all about low tuition increases!

Great! Happy to see the tuition rate increase is lower than in the past (Isn't that a little sad we cheer for 4.5% increase :) ). I start my residency on Monday and am getting a little nervous, however, I would be happy to answer any questions you guys might have about applying for residencies or helpful hints leading up to residency interviews/rankings.

I'm excited to meet some of you during the school year (Part of my residency calls for me to TA for lab) Enjoy the remainder of summer!

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG thank you so much for that! I was really curious to know what the match % was, and man thats really good! So if a student doesn't match, does it mean they cannot do a residency? or can they wait around and get into a residency spot that has not been taken? Are you doing a residency as well? If so, what are you planning to specialize in?

Sorry about not answering this....I must have missed it. If a student doesn't match they have the opportunity to enter the "Scramble" with all of the other students that didn't match nationwide. They compete for the programs that didn't match with a prospective graduate. This year there were about 1438 individuals that didn't match and they were fighting for 145 remaining spots. Everyone that doesn't match originally will get an email 1 hour later that shows the open positions. If you don't get something in the scramble, then yes....you can't do a residency that year but may apply in the future.

I am starting my residency on Monday. I don't know if I will specialize (AKA- trying for a PGY-2) I'm keeping my options open, however, I do know that I want to be in a hospital and on the floors. To do that, you need a residency around here. Let me know if you have any questions!

Got my acceptance email on April 9th! We will be going to Duluth this fall! What a birthday present!!!

Congrads! Despite the accounts of the flooding (it is mostly isolated areas according to my friends living there), being placed in Duluth was one of the best things that could have happened to me. When I applied we had 3 choices, TC, Duluth, or don't care. Glad they put me in Duluth! You'll love it!

I'm currently on the waitlist & the waiting is torture. Does anyone know my chances of even getting into the UofM college of pharmacy at this point? Like, what are the chances that spots are going to open up?

Stick with it! They admitted 31 from the wait list last year. I knew the student that admitted as #31…it was 1 day before orientation! Class started that next week. Chin up to…if you don't get in the first time it shows commitment if you apply again! Good luck..and don't beat yourself up…at least 60% of my classmates…maybe all my friends…were wait listed. Some even applied 3 times! determination!

Sorry about not answering this....I must have missed it. If a student doesn't match they have the opportunity to enter the "Scramble" with all of the other students that didn't match nationwide. They compete for the programs that didn't match with a prospective graduate. This year there were about 1438 individuals that didn't match and they were fighting for 145 remaining spots. Everyone that doesn't match originally will get an email 1 hour later that shows the open positions. If you don't get something in the scramble, then yes....you can't do a residency that year but may apply in the future.

I am starting my residency on Monday. I don't know if I will specialize (AKA- trying for a PGY-2) I'm keeping my options open, however, I do know that I want to be in a hospital and on the floors. To do that, you need a residency around here. Let me know if you have any questions!

Is hospital pharmacy experience preferred when applying for residency?

Although hospital pharmacy experience is not mandatory (I know some individuals with none) it is probably preferred. It sometimes can be hard to find hospital experience for an intern job, however, it would be in your best interest to align yourself with as many hospital experiences you can during rotations to show that you are actually interested in hospital pharmacy.

Does anybody in the Duluth area have any suggestions about which apartments are good? I'm looking for a one story apartment that is clean. It does not need to be on campus. Any hints would be good. Or any apartment locating business would help as well.

Stick with it! They admitted 31 from the wait list last year. I knew the student that admitted as #31…it was 1 day before orientation! Class started that next week. Chin up to…if you don't get in the first time it shows commitment if you apply again! Good luck..and don't beat yourself up…at least 60% of my classmates…maybe all my friends…were wait listed. Some even applied 3 times! determination!

Thank you so much for the encouragement!! Funnily enough, I'm ranked around there too & am definitely crossing my fingers that I will get accepted.

Does anybody in the Duluth area have any suggestions about which apartments are good? I'm looking for a one story apartment that is clean. It does not need to be on campus. Any hints would be good. Or any apartment locating business would help as well.
Have you checked this link out yet? I found it after a quick browse on the COP website. http://www.d.umn.edu/kirby/housing/weblisting.cgi

How is the flooding recovery going in Duluth area? Any recommendations on areas that maybe safe from flooding?