University of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi I just got my interview offer for next week. However, Since I live in another state (southwest) . I will not be able to make it due to the school schedule do you think it would b a problem to ask for my interview to be pushed in October due to SCHOOl reasons and travel expenses ( its more expensive to purchase a ticket the week before vs in a month)

I got an interview offer for 9/23 too! I wish it wasn't so early since I want to practice a lot before the interview.

What kind of school reasons do you want to postpone your interview for? Most professors will be understanding if you tell them you have to miss school for an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick little update, guys....

I'm a PD1, so I've only been in school for ~1 week, but so far....I love UMN's program! There are so many opportunities to get involved; I think it will be a great (but very busy) 4 years! The other students are really great, too.

Good luck to all the new applicants...I was in your shoes very recently. The U is a fantastic school though; definitely a great choice. :)

Hi I just got my interview offer for next week. However, Since I live in another state (southwest) . I will not be able to make it due to the school schedule do you think it would b a problem to ask for my interview to be pushed in October due to SCHOOl reasons and travel expenses ( its more expensive to purchase a ticket the week before vs in a month)

Call the school and see what they have to say!

I was able to change it to the 21st. I have a three hour plane ride

Quick little update, guys....

I'm a PD1, so I've only been in school for ~1 week, but so far....I love UMN's program! There are so many opportunities to get involved; I think it will be a great (but very busy) 4 years! The other students are really great, too.

Good luck to all the new applicants...I was in your shoes very recently. The U is a fantastic school though; definitely a great choice. :)
Hello PD 1. What can you tell me about the student body? I hear there are more females than males?

My composite score was a 51 and I GOT AN OFFER FOR AN Interview!!!

Congratulations! May I ask what your GPA is? I think I have the opposite situation to yours. I have a pretty good PCAT score (90) but an ok GPA (3.6 which only falls in the average according to the admission stats on UoM's website). UoM is one of my top choices and I'm starting to worry because everyone seems to have crazy high GPAs (3.8-3.9).

My Gpa is a 3.8 according to pharmcas. Are you an out of state student?

Congratulations! May I ask what your GPA is? I think I have the opposite situation to yours. I have a pretty good PCAT score (90) but an ok GPA (3.6 which only falls in the average according to the admission stats on UoM's website). UoM is one of my top choices and I'm starting to worry because everyone seems to have crazy high GPAs (3.8-3.9).

Best part of the U of MN is that they look at everything.. I don't think they nitpick a lot I guess. Have you applied yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm feeling the same way.. its funny cuz I'm also retaking the PCAT on the 19th! fml lol..

Are you an out of state student?

Yep. I'm from California. I haven't applied yet but I'm planning to submit my PharmCAS app by the end of the week.

Does UoM wait until your application is fully complete (all letters of rec in) before they send out the supplemental? or will they just see that you meet the minimum GPA? I'm still waiting for one letter of rec from my professor.

Yep. I'm from California. I haven't applied yet but I'm planning to submit my PharmCAS app by the end of the week.

Does UoM wait until your application is fully complete (all letters of rec in) before they send out the supplemental? or will they just see that you meet the minimum GPA? I'm still waiting for one letter of rec from my professor.

Once U of MN receives your pharmCAS application they will send you a link for their supp app. after you have submitted that and your application is complete eg they have received your PCAT scores and LORS and what not.. then they will review it.. and let you know about the interview..

hope this info helps.. =) :thumbup:

Hello PD 1. What can you tell me about the student body? I hear there are more females than males?

The link has been posted twice in this thread regarding stats on the student body. There's approximately 2/3 female and 1/3 male.

http://www.pharmacy.umn.edu/pharmd/admissions/statistics/home.html

There's a decent amount of non-traditional students (at the TC campus anyways) and also several international students, as well as students from all over the country. I can't tell you an exact number, but it seems like half the people I talk to went to the U of M for undergrad.

We've only been together a short time, but it seems like everyone is really nice and really helpful so far. One nice thing is that we are now all colleagues and not all students competing for grades, so people have more incentive to help others out. It's a nice change!

I'm feeling the same way.. its funny cuz I'm also retaking the PCAT on the 19th! fml lol..

Not to freak you out or anything, but just make sure if you retake it that you significantly improve. I've heard that it reflects poorly if you retake it again and only improve by a bit and that you'd be better off just not retaking it.

Your GPA and PCAT are just fine, especially if your GPA is around that level in the sciences (aka it isn't just padded with generals or something). Your GPA is right around the average admitted and your PCAT is well above average admitted.

Not to freak you out or anything, but just make sure if you retake it that you significantly improve. I've heard that it reflects poorly if you retake it again and only improve by a bit and that you'd be better off just not retaking it.

do you know if they take your highest PCAT score or the average?

Once U of MN receives your pharmCAS application they will send you a link for their supp app. after you have submitted that and your application is complete eg they have received your PCAT scores and LORS and what not.. then they will review it.. and let you know about the interview..

hope this info helps.. =) :thumbup:

Yes thank you!
I just submitted my application. I hope pharmcas doesn't actually take the full 5 weeks to process and calculate my GPA.:xf:

Yes thank you!
I just submitted my application. I hope pharmcas doesn't actually take the full 5 weeks to process and calculate my GPA.:xf:

I don't think it takes them 5 weeks.. but it does take a few days .. maybe like 2-3 weeks at max I would say.. Once they have mailed your applications to the designated schools it will take around 3-5days for them to get it =)

Just a quick question..after an interview is the applicant offered admission based on how the interview went or are all the applicants compared (including the stats along with the interview) over all and then offered admission??!

I just submitted my application tonight! I'm only applying here so I really hope I get in. Hopefully PharmCAS isn't super busy already and they can send out my application quickly.

Just a quick question..after an interview is the applicant offered admission based on how the interview went or are all the applicants compared (including the stats along with the interview) over all and then offered admission??!

You are all compared based on your entire application. The interview is important, but it's not everything.

You are all compared based on your entire application. The interview is important, but it's not everything.

I always assumed your stats and letters of recommendation were mostly to get you into the interview; the interview is the place where you truly sell yourself and show why they should let you into the school.

I sort of doubt you'd be admitted if you truly bombed the interview, no matter what the rest of your stats are like. Pharmacists need great communication skills, so the interview is important. That said, I've heard mostly great things about all the interviewers on campus, and have not heard about "bad interviews" at the U of M. My interview was really relaxed; more like a casual chat about pharmacy and where I saw myself in the profession.

... the interview is the place where you truly sell yourself and show why they should let you into the school.

I sort of doubt you'd be admitted if you truly bombed the interview, no matter what the rest of your stats are like. Pharmacists need great communication skills, so the interview is important. That said, I've heard mostly great things about all the interviewers on campus, and have not heard about "bad interviews" at the U of M. My interview was really relaxed; more like a casual chat about pharmacy and where I saw myself in the profession.

Your explanation was much better stated than mine was :) Most interviews are like conversations, some are a little more intense. It depends on who your interviewer is. I was told my interviewer was one of the "intense" ones (by current students and staff) that scores you more harshly, and I definitely felt like it was the most rigorous of all my interviews. Regardless, the admissions committee knows how the interviewers tend to score and take it into account when they do their final review. If you're personable and have knowledge about the field, then you should be just fine.

Done with the interview now to wait for them to get back to me.. :xf::xf::luck:

anyone get interviews for Oct 21st?! this thread is so dead!

anyone get interviews for Oct 21st?! this thread is so dead!

I can't even find something to ask about anymore...all we can do is wait...obsessively check the mail and wait...

The wait is really nerve wracking.. but on the other hand.. its been a week since we got interviewed and only a few more weeks to go.. :):luck::xf:

Same, I hope to get one for October 21st or the early November one. I'm just finishing up my essays and getting them in tip-top shape, and hopefully my letters of rec finish coming in soon.

PharmCAS finally finished calculating my GPA today!! They said my app will be sent out in the next mailing. Does anyone know how often that is?

PharmCAS finally finished calculating my GPA today!! They said my app will be sent out in the next mailing. Does anyone know how often that is?

I think its at the beginning of every week or every other week. :thumbup:

Just waiting on my letters of recommendation now! Hopefully I can get into the early November interview block!

People expecting an invitation for the interview should look out for an email next week (monday 10/10 most likely!).

People expecting an invitation for the interview should look out for an email next week (monday 10/10 most likely!).

Hi tariqsa,
How did you know about that? I mean what's the source of your information?
Thanks.

Happened last year and I got to know about it from a friend who was interviewed. I also got the invitation this year on a Monday, a week before the interview. I'm not claiming that its accurate just so you know.. thats why I added most likely :)

Happened last year and I got to know about it from a friend who was interviewed. I also got the invitation this year on a Monday, a week before the interview. I'm not claiming that its accurate just so you know.. thats why I added most likely :)
Ok, thanks.

two weeks down and hopefully a few more days to go.. the wait is killing me! :scared:

Duluth, the first few interviews are at Duluth I believe.

Oh ok thanks.
How did your interview go?

I feel like it went well.. but that's only what I think.. the people at the U are very nice and extremely helpful. I'm glad I was at ease during the interview otherwise it would've turned out to be bad.

Are you an applicant for the Fall 2012 admissions?