University of Nebraska Medical Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alternate

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone apply at UNMC Pharmacy school? If so, how was the interview, how were your grades/activities/experience/etc? I was just wondering because I am applying there next year and want to make sure I have all the tools it takes to get in. I know they do not require a PCAT there also. Any advice/comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone apply at UNMC Pharmacy school? If so, how was the interview, how were your grades/activities/experience/etc? I was just wondering because I am applying there next year and want to make sure I have all the tools it takes to get in. I know they do not require a PCAT there also. Any advice/comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I live in Nebraska but I didn't apply to UNMC because I felt that my GPA was too low. Their average GPA is around 3.7! Without my nice 94 PCAT to balance out my GPA, I didn't figure that I stood much of a chance even though I'm in-state.

UNMC leans heavily on in-state applicants and they take very few out-of-state applicants. They only take 65 students. As a result, fewer than 300 actually apply.

If you're from Nebraska and have a 3.5+ GPA with plenty of pharamacy experience, then you've got a good shot.

I live in Nebraska but I didn't apply to UNMC because I felt that my GPA was too low. Their average GPA is around 3.7! Without my nice 94 PCAT to balance out my GPA, I didn't figure that I stood much of a chance even though I'm in-state.

UNMC leans heavily on in-state applicants and they take very few out-of-state applicants. They only take 65 students. As a result, fewer than 300 actually apply.

If you're from Nebraska and have a 3.5+ GPA with plenty of pharamacy experience, then you've got a good shot.

Thanks for the info omnione. I'm from NE and am in the RHOP pharmacy program at Wayne State (an alternate, hence the name) so I'm hoping I can get in to UNMC next year. That GPA requirement is very high, so I should probably stop wasting my time watching Nebraska basketball and start studying instead. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info omnione. I'm from NE and am in the RHOP pharmacy program at Wayne State (an alternate, hence the name) so I'm hoping I can get in to UNMC next year. That GPA requirement is very high, so I should probably stop wasting my time watching Nebraska basketball and start studying instead. :)

There's not a whole lot to watch about Husker basketball.:D I'm not trying to disparage the players as they are playing very hard considering their situation, but the program still isn't significant yet.

Being in RHOP will certainly help a lot as will your in-state residency. UNMC is a great school, so I hope that you get admitted!

Well, I graduated from UNMC, and I helped out with admissions for three out of my four years there. I will be glad to answer any questions you have. It's a good school, if out of the way. Everyone in my class got their top-choice residencies or fellowships, or jobs where they wanted to go. :)

Actually, now with the new Dean (we don't know who he will be yet) and new Pharmacy Practice Chair (who I do know very well), it's going to change a bit. Under the old Dean, every applicant from Nebraska was invited for the interviews - so you might have had a good chance.

Hey, thanks for the help Hels2007. I heard they were getting a new dean at a UNMC breakfast I went to. I've got a question for you, do you know how much the school plans on taking your PCAT score into account when deciding acceptances? The reason I ask is because I know this is their first year requiring the PCAT and I am trying to get in after two years of pre-pharm. However, I have yet to take organic and some other subjects on the test, but I'm in the RHOP program (an alternate). Do you remember from your three years of being on the admissions how the alternates fared in terms of admissions? Thanks again for your help.

Hey, thanks for the help Hels2007. I heard they were getting a new dean at a UNMC breakfast I went to. I've got a question for you, do you know how much the school plans on taking your PCAT score into account when deciding acceptances? The reason I ask is because I know this is their first year requiring the PCAT and I am trying to get in after two years of pre-pharm. However, I have yet to take organic and some other subjects on the test, but I'm in the RHOP program (an alternate). Do you remember from your three years of being on the admissions how the alternates fared in terms of admissions? Thanks again for your help.

I don't know about PCAT, since they just announced about requiring PCAT in April or May, way after the last interview day, otherwise I would have asked. I think they will use it the say way they used GPA - to cut down the number of applicants before the interviews. One year we interviewed 250 people, and that's just unmanageable - takes too much time and effort, and with only admitting 65, it gives a lot of people false hope and also makes it more difficult to choose (when you talked to someone personally, it's harder to reject them, than it is to cross out a name off the list). The goal is to invite about 180 people for interviews, I think.

I know a few people who got in after two years pre-pharmacy only (myself being one), but in my class there were many 10-15 out 65 who didn't have a Bachelor's. The good news for you is that a lot of them were RHOP students. I think that for RHOP all they needed to do was get a GPA above a certain number to be admitted... I am not sure about that, though. As far as alternates, it's different from year to year, but it has never been more than 10, and that was just once, sometime back. Normally it's between 1 and 5, I would say. In my class I know of one girl who was an alternate, and maybe there was one more person. UNMC sends out acceptance letters early, and this being mostly Nebraskan applicants (and UNMC a lot cheaper than Creighton), most people decide to take the position offered. I'd say it all depends on what kind of people applied.

I did notice one change this year, though - this year all the candidates I have talked too seemed pretty good. The previous years some were a joke - I was just thinking, what were they doing there, they had a snowball's chance in hell of making it.

Good luck to you! If you don't make it this year, I think people from alternate's list are at an advantage when applying next year. I've heard something along that lines, at least. And I know plenty of people who got in their second time around (one of whom was one of the best interns to work with - I don't know why he didn't get in the first time) and a couple who got in on the third attempt. In general, having a Bachelor's is a distinct advantage over 2 years pre-pharm at UNMC.

Got my invite for an interview on Feb 29. A little short notice for me, so I am debating if I can go or not. I've already interviewed at 5 other places. Anyone else interviewing Feb 29 at UNMC?

I'm going to the interview next Friday.

I'll be there too! :luck: Luck to us all!!! I'm nervous since they only accept around 65 students.

anyone know about how many they interview?

i know this is old but here is some info i came across:

"University of Nebraska - Do you accept students from other states?

Our focus as a state school is on training pharmacists for Nebraska. Therefore, the vast majority of our admitted students are Nebraska residents (~90%) or are students from immediately surrounding states with a GPA 3.5 or greater (~10%). Outside that geographic area, students with ties to Nebraska or other special circumstances may be considered on a limited basis." UNMC Website

applied:
272 (2005) 257 (2006) 238 (2007) 174 (2008)

accepted:
65 per class

Wow, this school is fierce!

Last edited:
Went through the new pharmacy building yesterday because one of the people I work with is an UNMC P3. It is really nice, but I can see parking being a problem possibly. They are continuing landscaping as of this week..

i know this is old but here is some info i came across:

"University of Nebraska - Do you accept students from other states?

Our focus as a state school is on training pharmacists for Nebraska. Therefore, the vast majority of our admitted students are Nebraska residents (~90%) or are students from immediately surrounding states with a GPA 3.5 or greater (~10%). Outside that geographic area, students with ties to Nebraska or other special circumstances may be considered on a limited basis." UNMC Website

applied:
272 (2005) 257 (2006) 238 (2007) 174 (2008)

accepted:
65 per class

Wow, this school is fierce!

That's an indirect result of the University of Nebraska system trying to keep its brightest within the Nebraska borders.;) I don't mind Creighton, but it would have been nicer to my pocketbook to go to UNMC as a Nebraska resident.