UNT Health Science Center College of Pharmacy c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yooniecdl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just applied here today! Has anyone heard back for a regular decision interview yet? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I submitted my application last week and have not heard back about an interview yet. I did receive an email about taking the PCAT (which I took in September), so they may be waiting for the final score report.

I applied the second week of September but have not heard back yet for interview... sigh

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I just received an email for my interview scheduled on October 23rd. Hopefully you guys hear back soon too!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys! I just received an email for my interview scheduled on October 23rd. Hopefully you guys hear back soon too!
you applied for regular decision right?
Do you mind sharing your stats?

you applied for regular decision right?
Do you mind sharing your stats?

Yes, I applied for regular decision!
PCAT:
Bio: 94
Chem: 96
Reading: 40
Quan: 67
Overall: 86
PharmCAS GPA: 3.84 (overall)
UNT Math and Science GPA: 3.91 - I claimed exemption

I graduated with a B.S. in chemistry and concentration in biochemistry. I don't have much pharmacy experience aside from volunteering in a hospital's pharmacy department and I worked for a year as a research assistant in a drug discovery lab.

Yes, I applied for regular decision!
PCAT:
Bio: 94
Chem: 96
Reading: 40
Quan: 67
Overall: 86
PharmCAS GPA: 3.84 (overall)
UNT Math and Science GPA: 3.91 - I claimed exemption

I graduated with a B.S. in chemistry and concentration in biochemistry. I don't have much pharmacy experience aside from volunteering in a hospital's pharmacy department and I worked for a year as a research assistant in a drug discovery lab.

Your stats are really good!
Mine is not like yours..
how did you study for PCAT?

Your stats are really good!
Mine is not like yours..
how did you study for PCAT?

Thank you! I originally wanted to go to med school, so I tried really hard to maintain a good GPA. UNT asks for a minimum GPA of 2.5 and minimum PCAT of 40 percentile, so I think you'll be fine! I used Dr. Collins 2016 to study for the PCAT. Dr. Collins has a BUNCH of practice problems that helped me on test day. I studied by going through the questions as if it were a real test, then I would go back and see what questions I got wrong and re-visited those topics. The only difference I saw was the PCAT had more passage-based questions, but honestly I was able to answer the questions without reading the passages due to studying done from Dr. Collins.

Thank you! I originally wanted to go to med school, so I tried really hard to maintain a good GPA. UNT asks for a minimum GPA of 2.5 and minimum PCAT of 40 percentile, so I think you'll be fine! I used Dr. Collins 2016 to study for the PCAT. Dr. Collins has a BUNCH of practice problems that helped me on test day. I studied by going through the questions as if it were a real test, then I would go back and see what questions I got wrong and re-visited those topics. The only difference I saw was the PCAT had more passage-based questions, but honestly I was able to answer the questions without reading the passages due to studying done from Dr. Collins.

Thank you for your reply
Yeah I hope to hear back soon!
Good luck on your interview!

Hi guys! I got my interview email today!!! I'm so excited! I waited exactly 1.5 months for an interview if anyone is wondering :D

Hi guys! I got my interview email today!!! I'm so excited! I waited exactly 1.5 months for an interview if anyone is wondering :D

Congratulations! I heard back 2 weeks after my interview and was accepted into the program. I put down the deposit and will be starting in fall! Hope to see you next year!

Congratulations! I heard back 2 weeks after my interview and was accepted into the program. I put down the deposit and will be starting in fall! Hope to see you next year!

Thank you!! Would you be able to share if this was a group or individual style interview? I understand you guys aren't able to share much about the interview process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, of course! It's individual interviews and I was interviewed by two faculty members. They were really nice and easy to talk to. It didn't feel like an interview at all. They don't ask difficult questions, but they want to see how you work with others and whether you would be a good fit for the program. I would just be upfront and honest about why you chose this career path.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, of course! It's individual interviews and I was interviewed by two faculty members. They were really nice and easy to talk to. It didn't feel like an interview at all. They don't ask difficult questions, but they want to see how you work with others and whether you would be a good fit for the program. I would just be upfront and honest about why you chose this career path.

Thanks so much for the information!! I'm dreading the scenario questions the most haha also would you mind sharing if you had any exams or essays before the actual interview? If you can't, no worries!

I think you'll be fine! The questions weren't tough at all. There was a short essay and short math exam. The math exam was easy, just basic math. They split you off into groups of 3 and you rotate between when you'll take the math exam, short essay, and interview.

I think you'll be fine! The questions weren't tough at all. There was a short essay and short math exam. The math exam was easy, just basic math. They split you off into groups of 3 and you rotate between when you'll take the math exam, short essay, and interview.

Thanks so much for the heads up! I recently had my interview and hoping I did okay *crosses fingers* And you were right - the questions weren't as bad as I had imagined them to be haha

So I recently heard back and found out I got wait listed (hold list). Does anyone have any experience or would know the likelihood of me getting in?

Just following up about my waist listed position, but does anyone know when UNT starts accepting people off their hold list? I've been really anxious to hear back, but wondering if I should be realistically expecting an email of some sort after late Feb ... any insight would be super helpful!

At any time. Really depends on a lot of factors. I was accepted off the hold list a week and a half ago. For c/o 2022 I spent April-July 2018 on the hold list. Did the early admission for c/o 2023 thinking that might help me out, I was placed on the hold list again in the middle of October. Figured my biggest issue was my PCAT score, took it again in January and did really well. Three weeks later, I had my seat. I looked up some statistics on the UNT pharmacy site. In both 2017 and 2018, it was around 10% that interviewed not getting accepted. Between that and the fact that only 50% of the people that apply get offered an interview. If you are interviewed it looks promising that you could get accepted, but no guaranty.
https://www.unthsc.edu/college-of-pharmacy/about-us/scp-admissions-statistics/
If there are no changes to your application, chances are your status will not either since they do not stop taking applications until the end of March then finish interviews in April/May. In my communications with the admissions staff I also learned that each time the admissions committee meets they go over every application up for acceptance (newly interviewed and those on the hold list) so its not like you are put on the list and forgotten about. Last year after the spring semester there were a number of people that failed to get a 'C' or better in required classes (reason why this year they added the wording about not being able to repeat classes during the summer that were failed in the spring). So at the end of the spring there could be more spots that open up for those on the hold list.
So hang in there! I know it is nerve racking, but keep yourself improving. If you are in classes right now, work to ace them. If you are/were not satisfied with your PCAT score, start studying now to take it again. If you feel the interview did not go well, apply for random jobs to practice your skills. Just stay in a good position to TAKE YOUR seat once its offered.

Congrats on getting in!! Thanks for all the great info! I'm wondering if my PCAT is also holding me back ... I have lots of CPhT experience, a BS in Bio, but PCAT score is meh. Did you contact the admissions committee to see what # you were on the hold list? Did they tell you how else to improve? I've only been told that they will be reviewing my app with the committee regularly.

At any time. Really depends on a lot of factors. I was accepted off the hold list a week and a half ago. For c/o 2022 I spent April-July 2018 on the hold list. Did the early admission for c/o 2023 thinking that might help me out, I was placed on the hold list again in the middle of October. Figured my biggest issue was my PCAT score, took it again in January and did really well. Three weeks later, I had my seat. I looked up some statistics on the UNT pharmacy site. In both 2017 and 2018, it was around 10% that interviewed not getting accepted. Between that and the fact that only 50% of the people that apply get offered an interview. If you are interviewed it looks promising that you could get accepted, but no guaranty.
https://www.unthsc.edu/college-of-pharmacy/about-us/scp-admissions-statistics/
If there are no changes to your application, chances are your status will not either since they do not stop taking applications until the end of March then finish interviews in April/May. In my communications with the admissions staff I also learned that each time the admissions committee meets they go over every application up for acceptance (newly interviewed and those on the hold list) so its not like you are put on the list and forgotten about. Last year after the spring semester there were a number of people that failed to get a 'C' or better in required classes (reason why this year they added the wording about not being able to repeat classes during the summer that were failed in the spring). So at the end of the spring there could be more spots that open up for those on the hold list.
So hang in there! I know it is nerve racking, but keep yourself improving. If you are in classes right now, work to ace them. If you are/were not satisfied with your PCAT score, start studying now to take it again. If you feel the interview did not go well, apply for random jobs to practice your skills. Just stay in a good position to TAKE YOUR seat once its offered.

No, I did not contact them to see where I might stand. During the interview day with them explaining the 'Hold' vs 'Wait' list stuff, I figured that they might not or would not really tell me how close or far I was. They never said anything to me about how/what to improve. Not much I could do about my gpa, both times I interviewed I felt they went really well, so that just left my PCAT.
On the UNT site they suggest being above the 40th, so when I scored in the 49th during the 2018 app cycle, I figured what the hell and applied. I got placed on the hold list. Since I had made it that far, I felt that my chances were good, but I did not make the cut last year. So trying to avoid the expense and time spent studying for it again I tried my luck with the early decision for the 2019 cycle. Think I was hoping that since it was at the beginning of the cycle I would have a better shot at getting accepted and not having to take the PCAT again. Got interviewed again and put on the hold list again, that was the middle of October. Signed up for the January test and put all my extra time into preparing for it. This time scoring in the 89th. Only after that did I start emailing with the admissions staff since I did improve that score so much. That is when I found out they go over everyone's application during each meeting.
The average pcat for the last three classes have been in the 66-70 range. If you are not close to that range, that could likely be something holding them up with you. I know that really doesn't help with this cycle since there are no more testing dates for this cycle.
After getting placed on the hold list the second time, I went ahead and applied to other schools as well. TAMU told me no thank you. TTech told me they were glad to see in my application that I would be taking the PCAT again, they wanted me to have a 65 or better before offering me an interview. I got an email from UH saying they were reviewing my application, but I still have not heard anything back from them. So the schools that use the PCAT, want it to be on the higher side.

Thanks for being so candid on your acceptance journey! And I would have done the exact same thing: reapplied as early decision given being on the hold list the previous year. You'd think they would have just accepted you knowing you're committed to going there! lol

I scored around the same as you on the PCAT and I had the same response from TAMU and didn't bother applying to TTech fearing I would be wasting my money. At this point, I guess there's not much more I can do since there aren't anymore PCAT exam dates. I had a friend that scored a 20 on the PCAT with a masters in music that got in 1.5 months after their interview. So I didn't think that the PCAT mattered so much, but I can see understand your reasoning now. Welp, crossing my fingers that I hear something soon!!

Congratulations! The weight is lifted and you can relax for a few months.:highfive:

So I see they have extended their deadline until June 3rd. Are they having a hard time filling the class?

I was JUST wondering the same thing ... I'm guessing it is? o_O

Are you thinking about applying to UNT pharm? I saw your status as pre-dental so I was curious

So I see they have extended their deadline until June 3rd. Are they having a hard time filling the class?

I was JUST wondering the same thing ... I'm guessing it is? o_O

Are you thinking about applying to UNT pharm? I saw your status as pre-dental so I was curious
Yeah I’m applying. I’ve been lurking on this site for years and was always thinking about going to dental school but I changed my career goals to Pharmacy.

Hello everyone! I'm a current incoming P1 and I was wondering if there has been a Facebook page made for the Class of 2023?

I don't believe anyone has made one yet? I say this because no one has mentioned it on this account

Hello everyone! I'm a current incoming P1 and I was wondering if there has been a Facebook page made for the Class of 2023?

I don't believe anyone has made one yet? I say this because no one has mentioned it on this account
They actually just sent us a link to the class page earlier today. Thank you for answering though!

Is there anyone applying this year for 2024
Hey! I just finished my applications last week and hope to hear something soon. UH interviews run through march so I'm hoping to hear something soon. How about yourself?

Hi! Does anyone know what to expect from the interview math portion? Like how was the math “exam” they give? What does it revolve around? Calculus? Simple pharmaceutical calculations? Orr?? I’m just so worried. If I can figure out what type if question They’ll ask I’ll study around that
Thanks and be safe

It's a lot of proportions, but not that difficult. I wouldn't say that it's a kill point on your interview either. How are they going to do your interviews with COVID going on?

Hi! Does anyone know what to expect from the interview math portion? Like how was the math “exam” they give? What does it revolve around? Calculus? Simple pharmaceutical calculations? Orr?? I’m just so worried. If I can figure out what type if question They’ll ask I’ll study around that
Thanks and be safe

It's a lot of proportions, but not that difficult. I wouldn't say that it's a kill point on your interview either. How are they going to do your interviews with COVID going on?

Online through zoom. I’m doing the interview April the 16th.
And so it was normal algebra? So why Include that in a interview? I would think they would do dosage calculations.