University of New England Supplemental Application Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joker937

UCLA SOD 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In their dental school application, they ask the following:

"UNE CDM's 4th year curriculum requires 3 separate 12-week rotations in underserved rural northern New England, likely requiring you to live away from the Portland area for 3 months at a time. Discuss strategies you would employ to succeed within this externship requirement. (Please limit your response to 300 words or less.)"

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with these rotations? I have tried calling to get more information, but I haven't gotten a call back yet. Basically, are these rotations out in the middle of nowhere like in a forest, and they are asking how we will deal without WiFi or cell phone reception or something? Would we be camping? I am a little confused by this question. I don't understand why they are asking it! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I wish we'd be camping haha I love camping. I highly doubt it though. I'm trying to answer this question as well (other 2 are easy). I'm thinking it's more along the lines of we have to live in an impoverished area (either in housing that they provide or a hotel or something idk) and they want to know how we'd handle interacting with people and becoming acclimated to that type of environment. Not sure, just my guess. That's probably how I'll write my essay.

I wish we'd be camping haha I love camping. I highly doubt it though. I'm trying to answer this question as well (other 2 are easy). I'm thinking it's more along the lines of we have to live in an impoverished area (either in housing that they provide or a hotel or something idk) and they want to know how we'd handle interacting with people and becoming acclimated to that type of environment. Not sure, just my guess. That's probably how I'll write my essay.

Hmm, those are a lot of conclusions to jump to in my opinion. I mean, they sound reasonable and you're probably right, but I don't want to assume anything. I'll try calling more and see where that gets me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, those are a lot of conclusions to jump to in my opinion. I mean, they sound reasonable and you're probably right, but I don't want to assume anything. I'll try calling more and see where that gets me!
I mean I'm 99.9% positive we won't be camping for three months. But the admissions lady for UNE is ridiculously nice and has been super helpful whenever I've called and has always called back when I left a message. Let me know once you hear back if you don't mind.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean I'm 99.9% positive we won't be camping for three months. But the admissions lady for UNE is ridiculously nice and has been super helpful whenever I've called and has always called back when I left a message. Let me know once you hear back if you don't mind.
I tried calling once today, so I'm going to give it another try in the next few days if they don't call me back. I'm sure they are really nice as you say. :) Thanks for your help! Maybe someone from the school will see this post and help us, too!

UNE CDM's 4th year curriculum requires 3 separate 12-week rotations in underserved rural northern New England

Not gonna lie....kinda want to apply to UNE now.

Camping? For rural rotations they usually put you up in a hotel with maybe 4-10 other students and also provide a car for transportation (a lot of the times they even pay for your main meals). Quite the opposite of camping.

Reactions: 1 user
Do it! I went back and applied after I e-submitted. It seems like such a cool program.

I'm going to sleep on it. I wish more schools offered 36 WEEKS of externships.
I feel like UNE is the ASDOH of the North, and I was in love with ASDOH. Didn't apply due to insufficient volunteer hours.

Camping? For rural rotations they usually put you up in a hotel with maybe 4-10 other students and also provide a car for transportation (a lot of the times they even pay for your main meals). Quite the opposite of camping.

What kinds of practice settings are UNE externships held in? FQHCs?

Did you find anything out?? :)
I tried calling once today, so I'm going to give it another try in the next few days if they don't call me back. I'm sure they are really nice as you say. :) Thanks for your help! Maybe someone from the school will see this post and help us, too!

UNE have supplement application? I didnt get any supplement application, but they sent me an Under Review email

Idk if he did but I called last week. She wouldn't give me too much info on what exactly it was we'd be doing during that externship because she didn't want to give me an advantage over other applicants. But she did say they were looking for how you'd cope and excel while being away from school. Aka how your maintain a good support group and balance between personal and school life.
Thank you so much!!

how long did it take for you after you hit e-submit to get an "under review" email?
UNE have supplement application? I didnt get any supplement application, but they sent me an Under Review email