University of North Carolina Class of 2010 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was just celebrating our recent re-entry into the top 20 :)

The cabbage patch is that early-90s dance you do when you bring your fists close together and move them in a circle in front of you. :thumbup:

sweetdoc

Members don't see this ad.

sweetdoc said:

The cabbage patch is that early-90s dance you do when you bring your fists close together and move them in a circle in front of you. :thumbup:

sweetdoc

sweetdoc: are u, too, waitlisted at "the other school" ?? ;)

phenyl: yup, me too.

It's all good though. Now I'm 90% sure I'll be headed to UNC next year :)

sweetdoc

Members don't see this ad :)
well, I can't wait to meet everyone at the second look!!!!! and free lunch at the Carolina Inn, i mean, come on! lol

sweetdoc said:

sweetdoc
is this considered dancing? b/c then it makes sense that I have no idea whats going on...

One week until 2nd Look :)

sweetdoc

Anyone know the residency director assessment score for UNC (in research rankings) for 2007? Curiousity compels me to ask...

bobob said:
Anyone know the residency director assessment score for UNC (in research rankings) for 2007? Curiousity compels me to ask...
no idea... but you have to love this weather, which we will all pay for come summer but atleast we missed winter and will likely enjoy a long and lovely spring... love is in the air... I love this place how can you choose anywhere else....
My other choice, CCLCM is still having highs in the lower to upper three layer range...
thank god for North Carolina :)

bobob said:

3.9 peer

phenylalanine said:

3.9 peer

Thanks! I think that's pretty good (higher than the #10 school I believe)...and probably more important to future clinicians than NIH funding.

Hey anyone want to meet up before the second look starts...?
Get coffee, I'm paying, unless a hundred people come out of the shadows... :D

We could meet at Starbucks on Franklin?

Hey all,

I'll be at the second look too...Starbucks before sounds good. I can always go for a coffee. Don't worry, BUST - I'll buy my own, since I'm coming out of the shadows :) .

What exactly does "business casual" mean?

UNC-or-BUST said:
Hey anyone want to meet up before the second look starts...?
Get coffee, I'm paying, unless a hundred people come out of the shadows... :D

We could meet at Starbucks on Franklin?

That sounds good. I'm down. And I've got a $5 gift card. Don't be jealous.

Members don't see this ad :)
megdog said:
Hey all,

I'll be at the second look too...Starbucks before sounds good. I can always go for a coffee. Don't worry, BUST - I'll buy my own, since I'm coming out of the shadows :) .

NICE!!!
How about meeting between 7:30-7:45. The event starts at 8:30, 15 minute walk, not really but... , so the gives about 30 minutes to meet and greet before we.... ahhh meet and greet alittle more. Hey its practice!!!

Business casual: dress pants and nice shirt. Girls... skirt???

If you know who Dr Michael DeBakey is then visit the Michael DeBakey trend on the pre-allo webpage. He visited UNC last year, chose to visit it over a lot of school to lecture!!! :eek:

megdog said:

From Wikipedia:

Business casual, also known as smart casual, is a popular dress code that emerged in workplaces in Western countries in the 1990s. Many information technology businesses in Silicon Valley were early adopters of this style of dress. In contrast to business formal wear (suits and neckties, sometimes called international standard business attire), business casual wear has no generally accepted definition; its interpretation differs widely between organizations and is often a cause of confusion.

The job search engine Monster.com offers this definition: "In general, business casual means dressing professionally, looking relaxed yet neat and pulled together." A more pragmatic definition is that business casual dress is a middle ground between business formal wear and street wear. Examples of apparel combinations that are considered appropriate for wearing to work by some organizations are:

For men, a collared shirt (perhaps a tennis shirt instead of a dress shirt) and cotton trousers (such as khakis)
For women, a tennis shirt and trousers

Neckties are generally not part of business casual dress unless worn in a very non-conservative way. The acceptability of jeans is variable — many organizations frown upon them, but will accept men who wear jeans with a sportcoat.

roboyce said:
The acceptability of jeans is variable — many organizations frown upon them, but will accept men who wear jeans with a sportcoat.

Right on, I'll be the guy in jeans, a plaid sportcoat and a striped turtleneck.

Also, I would meet you all at Starbucks if A) I actually drank coffee and B) hated sleep, but I don't do either so I'll have to see you all there at breakfast.

Yay! I'll see you guys at Starbucks.

sweetdoc

WholeLottaGame7 said:
Right on, I'll be the guy in jeans, a plaid sportcoat and a striped turtleneck.

Are you going to try and sell us a car or something?

roboyce said:
Are you going to try and sell us a car or something?
discount to fellow students???
best car sales scene in a movie, True Lies, Arnold S (the govenator) visits the cars salesman trying to seduce his wife... :laugh:

WholeLottaGame7 said:
Noooo, "try" implies the possibility of failure...
fin aid.... when is it coming in...?

UNC-or-BUST said:
fin aid.... when is it coming in...?
i had heard july.... yeah, I definitely had heard july.... but I might be wrong. maybe they will give us a straight answer @ 2nd look

phenylalanine said:
i had heard july.... yeah, I definitely had heard july.... but I might be wrong. maybe they will give us a straight answer @ 2nd look

Somehow, I'm doubtful of this (no offense)...I don't think they expect us to make final decisions completely blind to our financial aid situation. I'm sure we can get a better answer on Saturday.

roboyce said:
Somehow, I'm doubtful of this (no offense)...I don't think they expect us to make final decisions completely blind to our financial aid situation. I'm sure we can get a better answer on Saturday.

oh none taken! the only reason I said that is because I received a wierd email one moring telling me that my financial aid application is not complete ... so I called them and asked about it, along with the question of when I will get my financial aid package... I have no idea whom I spoke to in the office, but she told me that usually they don't process financial aid application until July, but in my case, hopefully I should be getting my fin. package soon...... what a strange reply!!!! I was so confused thus decided just to leave it alone..

Hmm. I was definitely hoping for sooner than July. We'll see on Saturday :)

sweetdoc

phenylalanine said:
oh none taken! the only reason I said that is because I received a wierd email one moring telling me that my financial aid application is not complete ... so I called them and asked about it, along with the question of when I will get my financial aid package... I have no idea whom I spoke to in the office, but she told me that usually they don't process financial aid application until July, but in my case, hopefully I should be getting my fin. package soon...... what a strange reply!!!! I was so confused thus decided just to leave it alone..

Yeah, I got a similar email last Thursday. I was instructed to logon to myUNC and fill out some forms there. One was a VA Benefits Form (applies to my specific situation) and the other was an estimated 2006 income form (due to my change of employment status). I submitted both of the forms last week and my status on the myUNC page shows that I am now complete, although my award is still being processed. I thought I would call them after about a week, but I figured since I'm going to be there on Saturday, I'd just ask about it there. At least I know they've looked at my FAFSA and some of the other documentation I sent them (otherwise there's no way they would have known to send me those forms). I suppose that's positive movement. Hopefully, we'll all hear soon.

phenylalanine said:

I called the finaid office and was told July also....

hpm4 said:
I called the finaid office and was told July also....
WOW.... JULY!!!
:scared:
Thats not good... I mean I wasn't getting any fin aid but still... one of the major things going for UNC is cost.
Maybe UNC should start this whole process a month or two earlier than other schools... :thumbup:

UNC-or-BUST said:
WOW.... JULY!!!
:scared:
Thats not good... I mean I wasn't getting any fin aid but still... one of the major things going for UNC is cost.
Maybe UNC should start this whole process a month or two earlier than other schools... :thumbup:

man, I just think it's silly of UNC about giving fin. aid in july... since we have to make a decision by May 15.... but what did she mean by "hopefully you will find out ur fin. aid very soon" ? is there something else going on that they are just not telling us?? oh the ever so mysterious UNC finan. aid office :confused:

UNC-or-BUST said:
NICE!!!
How about meeting between 7:30-7:45. The event starts at 8:30, 15 minute walk, not really but... , so the gives about 30 minutes to meet and greet before we.... ahhh meet and greet alittle more. Hey its practice!!!

Business casual: dress pants and nice shirt. Girls... skirt???

Thanks for the clarification about what qualifies as business casual. I had a vague idea before, now I have a slightly less vague idea :) .

Is anyone still interested in the meeting and greeting at Starbucks?

phenylalanine said:
man, I just think it's silly of UNC about giving fin. aid in july... since we have to make a decision by May 15.... but what did she mean by "hopefully you will find out ur fin. aid very soon" ? is there something else going on that they are just not telling us?? oh the ever so mysterious UNC finan. aid office :confused:

Ok, maybe this will settle a few nerves. I called the finaid number listed on the UNC site. I spoke with a representative there who told me, like others, that we wouldn't hear anything from her office (the med school finaid office) until late June. When I pressed her a little bit, asking how we were expected to make decisions about attending without this information, she admitted that her office was not actually handling the process. Instead, it was being handled by the main finaid office at UNC. This other office is also the one that sent me the email requesting the previously described documentation, so at least that makes sense. I pressed her a little more and she told me to maybe expect something in the next week or two from the main financial aid office. I tried calling over there (using the number provided in the email they sent me), but it was 4:09 and they had already left for the weekend. Ehh...with weather like this, who can blame them? So, in conclusion, I suspect that we will hear something much sooner than July, but as of yet, I can't confirm that. Hopefully, we will get a more definitive answer tomorrow.

See you soon,
Ross

I'm still interested in meeting at Starbucks. Hopefully, I'll see all of you there tomorrow.

sweetdoc

sweetdoc said:
I'm still interested in meeting at Starbucks. Hopefully, I'll see all of you there tomorrow.

sweetdoc

See you there, sweetdoc. Hope to see some others too!

wat did everyone think of the 2nd look???

i didn't get to ask about fin. aid... anyone did?

phenylalanine said:
wat did everyone think of the 2nd look???

i didn't get to ask about fin. aid... anyone did?
Yeah... I didn't get the answer I was looking for but it looks like June-ish... maybe if you push it May.
2nd look was great, I had a blast :D

UNC-or-BUST said:
Yeah... I didn't get the answer I was looking for but it looks like June-ish... maybe if you push it May.
2nd look was great, I had a blast :D

Hi all,

Sorry I was a bum and could not force myself out of bed in time for Starbucks. I asked Mrs. Alston and she said that she would call Fin Aid on Monday and check. I want to say that she said that we should all hear something, like a general email, in a few weeks, but my memory is foggy. Was anybody else worn out by their tour guides? After the tour, I checked out some apartment complexes and by the time I made it home, I was bushed.

Hopefully see you all in August (hopefully we'll hear about fin aid before then),
sweetdoc

sweetdoc said:
Hi all,

Sorry I was a bum and could not force myself out of bed in time for Starbucks. I asked Mrs. Alston and she said that she would call Fin Aid on Monday and check. I want to say that she said that we should all hear something, like a general email, in a few weeks, but my memory is foggy. Was anybody else worn out by their tour guides? After the tour, I checked out some apartment complexes and by the time I made it home, I was bushed.

Hopefully see you all in August (hopefully we'll hear about fin aid before then),
sweetdoc

No worries, sweetdoc - there will be plenty of time for lots of coffee breaks over the next four years :) . What apartment complexes did you check out? Any within walking distance?

megdog said:
No worries, sweetdoc - there will be plenty of time for lots of coffee breaks over the next four years :) . What apartment complexes did you check out? Any within walking distance?

Hey guys...that food at the Carolina Inn was pretty sweet, right? Although was it just me or did almost everyone you talk to go to UNC undergrad?...anyway, can anybody tell me whether Carolina is graded or H/P/F?

golftrippy said:
Hey guys...that food at the Carolina Inn was pretty sweet, right? Although was it just me or did almost everyone you talk to go to UNC undergrad?...anyway, can anybody tell me whether Carolina is graded or H/P/F?
P/F first year, honors is added from then on

golftrippy said:

first year P/F
starting second year H/P/F

food was great! didn't really enjoy the day tho... rainy... students do seem pretty monotomous.. but I guess UNC is a state school after all.

phenylalanine said:
first year P/F
starting second year H/P/F

food was great! didn't really enjoy the day tho... rainy... students do seem pretty monotomous.. but I guess UNC is a state school after all.
I thought the food was OK but the people were great! I really enjoyed meeting everyone, though next time we'll have to wear SDN name tags. But I guess to each their own or something like that... :p Oh and it was Saturday morning, in their defense.
I liked the video, Bill Cosby sweater day!?!

UNC-or-BUST said:
I thought the food was OK but the people were great! I really enjoyed meeting everyone, though next time we'll have to wear SDN name tags. But I guess to each their own or something like that... :p Oh and it was Saturday morning, in their defense.
I liked the video, Bill Cosby sweater day!?!

What do you guys think about the political climate at UNC. Does anybody know if the students are liberal-leaning, or conservative? The reason I ask is that I'm really liberal, but went to a conservative undergrad so I'd like to be somewhere a little more liberal, and the monotony of the student body does kind of bother me (hence one of the reasons I'm still considering Brown). That being said, the second-look did confirm that as far as the school does, its exceptional.

golftrippy said:
What do you guys think about the political climate at UNC. Does anybody know if the students are liberal-leaning, or conservative? The reason I ask is that I'm really liberal, but went to a conservative undergrad so I'd like to be somewhere a little more liberal, and the monotony of the student body does kind of bother me (hence one of the reasons I'm still considering Brown). That being said, the second-look did confirm that as far as the school does, its exceptional.
Well, if your asking if they hate Bush, well yea most people at UNC hate Bush. While most people today hate Bush, UNC started hating him long before he gave America a reason to hate him. So UNC is pretty liberal but if their not liberal enough you can always put on your sandals and hike or bike to nearby anit-CARboro and spend sometime with the some hardcore aging hippie liberal dooshbags, eat some grass and smoke some grass what you liberals do... :laugh:
but I can tell you at worst the conservatives at UNC have the stick ~1/2 inch less up their ass then at Brown

*as a disclaimer for those of you with humor dryer than a fresh paper towel, this is a joke*

UNC-or-BUST said:
Well, if your asking if they hate Bush, well yea most people at UNC hate Bush. While most people today hate Bush, UNC started hating him long before he gave America a reason to hate him. So UNC is pretty liberal but if their not liberal enough you can always put on your sandals and hike or bike to nearby anit-CARboro and spend sometime with the some hardcore aging hippie liberal dooshbags, eat some grass and smoke some grass what you liberals do... :laugh:
but I can tell you at worst the conservatives at UNC have the stick ~1/2 inch less up their ass then at Brown

*as a disclaimer for those of you with humor dryer than a fresh paper towel, this is a joke*

How dare you insult the people at Brown like that ;) ...thanks for the response Bust, I thought it was pretty liberal, but was just a bit worried when I saw a lot of the UNC kids looking pretty frat-tastic

golftrippy said:
How dare you insult the people at Brown like that ;) ...thanks for the response Bust, I thought it was pretty liberal, but was just a bit worried when I saw a lot of the UNC kids looking pretty frat-tastic
FRAT_TASTIC haha, did you meet megdog. I don't think she had heard that term yet and had the same concern. UNCis definitely big on frats, try going out on the weekends and not catch yourself wondering if your on another plant with bug eyed girls and flipped up collar guys. Oh and in Kindergraden my teacher taught us which colors are for girls and which are for guys, I'd bet big money her son was gay, which is perfectly fine. Ahhh you have to love a frat guy in pink :love:

I started out this process thinking I wanted to escape the fratish culture that seems so prevalent in the south, even at my tiny undergrad. Yet, after traveling all over the country, I came to the conclusion that no matter where you end up, you're going to have some sort of social mainstream pop-culture youth genre that you find annoying. In New England, you might find the "pea-coat and scarf" wearing crowd (trippy, I know you couldn't have missed this at Brown), in New York it's the "I paid a lot to look like I'm either (a) a vagrant or (b) an extra in Napolean Dynamite," in California it's the "I don't care what I'm wearing because California is the coolest place ever" look. So in the end, it all really seems the same, only the clothes change. I'm confident that I'll find a solid group of friends with whom I can relate and who will no doubt help carry me through this process no matter where I decide to put down roots.

Also, I'd like to point out that I probably looked a little fratish in my khakis and pastel green shirt (Seethrew, bobob, or WLG7 can attest to this), but honestly, what do you expect men to wear to something like this? If we had spoken, I doubt you would have put me into the frat category and I like to think that some of the people there may be in a similar situation. Can anyone refute this from conversation? I mean honestly, everyone there must have something going for them and I'm hopeful that I'll have the opportunity to learn from their diverse experiences.

As for a general lack of diversity, I'd say that's probably true if you were to classify diversity using only terms of geography and ethnicity. On the other hand, I was impressed with the fact that UNC really has a unique group of people with really varied career aspirations. Seriously, at some of the other schools, it seems like everyone is on this high intensity, research oriented path to academic medicine. You could almost feel the pressure on the room to see who was going to be the first to receive tenure. I didn't feel that at UNC. Sure, some people are interested in pursuing such a career, but there also seemed to be quite a few people interested in other areas, even some who, god forbid, were interested in primary care and private practice.

Finally, on the politics, I'd say that I have a unique perspective. Why, you might ask? Well, given certain aspects of my experiences, politics almost always makes itself to the forefront of any conversation in which I engage. Despite my own beliefs, I am often stereotyped as conservative. I found this to be especially true at schools with strong traditions of liberal activities, much to my disappointment. In many of my interviews, I was having to openly state my politics in order to defend against general mischaracterization of my personality. I'm somewhat suspicious that it may have affected the outcome of my application (Of course, I'm not so arrogant to think it's the only thing, as I realize there are plenty of holes in my application.). So where is all of this going? Well, to be honest, I learned that even people with whom I like to think I share common ground on issues as varied as human rights and foriegn policy can be just as closed minded as those with whom I politically disagree. Quite frankly, I'd just be happy to be at a place where all views are equally respected and opinions are vetted in an honest and forthright manner. I think you may find more of that here than in other locations...just my (slightly biased) opinion. Of course, I certainly understand the desire of you folks that just want to get out of the state for awhile. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm lucky in that I've been away for awhile and the idea of coming back isn't quite so painful.

Sorry, I didn't meet everyone on this thread. Seethrew definitely called me out, but I would assert it's a pretty easy call given the fact that my last name is sewed onto my Army issue backpack that I had...hmmm. I had a Meghan at my lunch table, but I didn't confirm if it was really megdog. As for Sweet, Bust, Trippy, and Phenyl, I guess you guys will remain a mystery for now...or perhaps you recognized me and just ran scared. I wouldn't blame you. That pastel green can certainly be intimidating.

R

I think I saw you in the lunch line, but I didn't want to say anything b/c
(1) lunch looked awesome
(2) you would have had no idea who i was
(3) i had to decipher what exactly lunch was with the guy next to me in line, although it did look yummy

I was the girl with dreads and a yellow cardigan, if that helps. Hopefully, I'll see you all at orientation :)

sweetdoc

About the apartment complexes.

I went to Carrboro to look at some complexes out there: Autumn Woods, Sterling Brook, and Poplar Place. I was definitely surprised to see how expensive everything was - $650-750 for a one bedroom. I definitely liked Autumn Woods the best so far. It's the newest complex in Carrboro, the property is nice + woodsy, the gym is being updated as I type, and the CX stops right in front of the place.

I'm still looking into buying but there doesn't seem to be that much on the market. I think I might just rent b/c the idea of living by myself seems sweeter day by day. I'll be going back to CH next weekend to look at Timber Creek, Rock Creek, and maybe a few other places.

Does anybody have any helpful info when it comes to finding a reasonable, safe, close apartment in the area?

sweetdoc