University of North Carolina Class of 2010 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WholeLottaGame7 said:
Anyways, so I was thinking I would respond to UNC's throwdown email about immunizations in kind, by letting them know that I'll send their stuff in whenever they send me my financial aid package. I hear medical schools respond well to that kind of strong-arming negotiation.

I thought the exact same thing. I'm glad I'm not alone. Misery loves company. I mean, I was told two weeks almost six weeks ago, told one week two weeks ago...ugh. Why does this take so long?

Members don't see this ad.

roboyce said:
I thought the exact same thing. I'm glad I'm not alone. Misery loves company. I mean, I was told two weeks almost six weeks ago, told one week two weeks ago...ugh. Why does this take so long?
Whoa... anyone still waiting for their Fin aid???

Anyone want to meet up for food or drinks?

hi, i'm new/learning my way around this site...

i'm about to sign a lease at autumn woods...any other first years (or other med students) living there?

sweetdoc said:
About the apartment complexes.

I went to Carrboro to look at some complexes out there: Autumn Woods, Sterling Brook, and Poplar Place. I was definitely surprised to see how expensive everything was - $650-750 for a one bedroom. I definitely liked Autumn Woods the best so far. It's the newest complex in Carrboro, the property is nice + woodsy, the gym is being updated as I type, and the CX stops right in front of the place.

I'm still looking into buying but there doesn't seem to be that much on the market. I think I might just rent b/c the idea of living by myself seems sweeter day by day. I'll be going back to CH next weekend to look at Timber Creek, Rock Creek, and maybe a few other places.

Does anybody have any helpful info when it comes to finding a reasonable, safe, close apartment in the area?

sweetdoc

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, I'm about to find out in the next day or two just how strict that immunization policy is, because I'm going to come up short on the varicella vaccine and the PPD test and I'm going to have to call and beg for leniency.

They will probably be happy to know that the reason I won't be combatting my diseases in time is that I'll be busy acquiring other, more interesting exotic illnesses from overseas. But don't worry. I'll share.

Also, is there some sort of corollary to the "5 minute rule" here, except for the fin aid instead of class? Like, if they don't offer the package within a month of school starting we get tuition free?

But seriously. If they don't get the info to us in time to get loans, how do they exactly expect to get paid?

WholeLottaGame7 said:
FYI, I'm about to find out in the next day or two just how strict that immunization policy is, because I'm going to come up short on the varicella vaccine and the PPD test and I'm going to have to call and beg for leniency.

They will probably be happy to know that the reason I won't be combatting my diseases in time is that I'll be busy acquiring other, more interesting exotic illnesses from overseas. But don't worry. I'll share.

Also, is there some sort of corollary to the "5 minute rule" here, except for the fin aid instead of class? Like, if they don't offer the package within a month of school starting we get tuition free?

But seriously. If they don't get the info to us in time to get loans, how do they exactly expect to get paid?

I got my finaid last Friday. I drove the eighty miles over to Chapel Hill and held a sit-in until I got the answers I wanted. Even then, the initial award was was incorrect. Luckily, I was able to correct the problem on the spot, rather than having to try to get their attention again via the phone. You might think about doing the same before you leave the country. They were quite surprised to learn that I hadn't heard anything yet, which is odd because I had called them about twenty times in the last two weeks. They kept asking "have you checked your myUNC?" Ugh...yes.

Anyone heard anything about purchasing the computer? :confused: It would be ideal to be able to buy it on tax-free weekend Aug.4-6... I'm thinking they'll set that up for us since it's right before Orientation begins.
So excited to get that new model, whatever it is...

4moreatunc said:
Anyone heard anything about purchasing the computer? :confused: It would be ideal to be able to buy it on tax-free weekend Aug.4-6... I'm thinking they'll set that up for us since it's right before Orientation begins.
So excited to get that new model, whatever it is...

I was told we don't find out anything about the computer until we go for orientation....but it would be really nice if we heard earlier than August 7th :)

so, i don't know if this will be helpful to anyone...maybe i'm just a slow learner...

as of today, by fumbling about online, i found that i already had an 'onyen', which is apparently what you need for financial aid. not sure whether i had this because i originally applied to unc as an undergrad (but never went) or what. at any rate, there is a page under the 'myunc' site that allows you to put in your pin and ssn and DOB and make your password for your onyen. THAT will get you to your financial aid AND apparently to an email account which i didn't know i had. this is kind of contrary to the notice that they sent, which said if you don't already have an onyen, they would send you one by email or regular mail once your package was complete.

all this being said, i called the fin aid office last week and was told that my letter wasn't ready yet...but the online version i accessed today says my package was ready on the 24th of may??

am very confused.

WholeLottaGame7 said:

It is very ridiculous for them to delay our finaid packet. I have called them like 10 times now and every time they have one same response "it will take 1-2 more weeks." What are they doing down there. :mad: Anyone else got their package yet?

seriously, go online and see if you have an onyen already made for you.

if i would have waited to get a notice (email or otherwise) saying that my aid was done, i would still be waiting.

Godse said:
It is very ridiculous for them to delay our finaid packet. I have called them like 10 times now and every time they have one same response "it will take 1-2 more weeks." What are they doing down there. :mad: Anyone else got their package yet?

Alternatively, you could tell them to go to hell and give me your spot. :D

well, if you end up at drexel, would you mind asking them to get a move on cashing my secondary check that they've had for SEVEN MONTHS? :laugh:

registered user said:
Alternatively, you could tell them to go to hell and give me your spot. :D

truebluebe said:
well, if you end up at drexel, would you mind asking them to get a move on cashing my secondary check that they've had for SEVEN MONTHS? :laugh:

Done!

Members don't see this ad :)
Echooooo echoooo echoooo.....

Anyway, so the camping trip is Aug 4-6, which, conveniently, is also NC's Tax-Free weekend to order our laptops/textbooks, etc. So the question is, will I have $153+ worth of fun on this camping trip to make it worthwhile?

My girlfriend's white coat ceremony is also the 4th, but I think we all know where that lies on the priority list... Although I guess theoreticaly if we wouldn't leave til the afternoon on the 4th.

Ah screw it, I'm going to Ecuador.

WholeLottaGame7 said:
Echooooo echoooo echoooo.....

Anyway, so the camping trip is Aug 4-6, which, conveniently, is also NC's Tax-Free weekend to order our laptops/textbooks, etc. So the question is, will I have $153+ worth of fun on this camping trip to make it worthwhile?

My girlfriend's white coat ceremony is also the 4th, but I think we all know where that lies on the priority list... Although I guess theoreticaly if we wouldn't leave til the afternoon on the 4th.

Ah screw it, I'm going to Ecuador.

Why do I feel so out of the loop with UNC? So do they pre-order our overpriced laptops and we get them Orientation Week or can we actually go get them on a tax-free day? And what is the time period of orientation - August 7-11 and classes start the 14th?

bobob said:
Why do I feel so out of the loop with UNC? So do they pre-order our overpriced laptops and we get them Orientation Week or can we actually go get them on a tax-free day? And what is the time period of orientation - August 7-11 and classes start the 14th?

Okay nevermind on most of that except for the overpriced laptops - I read that we get our laptops during orientation, but that is after the tax-free weekend. Anyone know if we can actually take advantage of the tax holiday or is this another situation where we just have to suck it up and pay the extra money?

Hey everybody, I just got off the WL last week, and I'm definitely coming back for four more at UNC.

You can take advantage of the tax holiday by ordering it in person at Student Stores or the Ram Shop or over the phone (919-962-8534) during the tax-free weekend. I'm hopefully going to take care of it on Friday before headin to the backwoods. As for the books, if medical school is anything like undergrad, you can probably get them online or from a 2nd year for a lot less than you'd pay at UNC's bookstore anyway.

Who's looking to meet some classmates and take a latenight walking tour of Chapel Hills best bars?

UNC-or-BUST said:
Who's looking to meet some classmates and take a latenight walking tour of Chapel Hills best bars?

I would Bust. What day works best for you......

This is pathetic. Either no one is checking this thread anymore, which the hits number keeps going up, thus not likely. Or we have some anti-social lurkers.... tisk tisk

Stop making me sound like an alcoholic loner...

UNC-or-BUST said:
I would Bust. What day works best for you......

This is pathetic. Either no one is checking this thread anymore, which the hits number keeps going up, thus not likely. Or we have some anti-social lurkers.... tisk tisk

Stop making me sound like an alcoholic loner...

I would have replied to this thread but I've either been too drunk or too hungover. Anyway, I'd definately be down if I was in Chapel Hill...but I'm moving up on the 1st, we should all get together before school starts.

golftrippy said:
I would have replied to this thread but I've either been too drunk or too hungover. Anyway, I'd definately be down if I was in Chapel Hill...but I'm moving up on the 1st, we should all get together before school starts.

Count me in for the CH get-together!

Gmaddy :thumbup:
Golftrippy :thumbup:
UNC-or-BUST :thumbup:
megdog :thumbup:

come on lets get this list moving...

I'm glad you knew I was in :) .

UNC-or-BUST said:

come on lets get this list moving...

Count me in! :thumbup: Is there a night picked out yet?

Ditto here. The bars are a great way to get to know each other, and lightweights like me won't tear up your newly bought home after multiple keg stands :laugh:. Going to all of Chapel Hill's best bars in one night is like trying to see the best of Europe in one week, but we'll make the most of it.

4moreatunc :thumbup:
Dr Giggles :thumbup:

Dr. Giggles said:
Hey everybody, I just got off the WL last week, and I'm definitely coming back for four more at UNC.

You can take advantage of the tax holiday by ordering it in person at Student Stores or the Ram Shop or over the phone (919-962-8534) during the tax-free weekend. I'm hopefully going to take care of it on Friday before headin to the backwoods. As for the books, if medical school is anything like undergrad, you can probably get them online or from a 2nd year for a lot less than you'd pay at UNC's bookstore anyway.

Looks to me like our medical school computers are pre-ordered for us...I guess I need to call and try to find someone that can give me an answer.

The laptop is pre-ordered for us, but I think it just has to be paid in full during the Sales Tax Holiday (deferred payament plans are ineligible). I guess that could be a problem if you were depending on financial aid to pay for it.

PS- I'm getting this information from a packet I got from UNC last Thursday.

bobob said:
Looks to me like our medical school computers are pre-ordered for us...I guess I need to call and try to find someone that can give me an answer.

bobob..... we have a spot just for you in our exclusive group..... you coming :D

Team Awesome is scheduled to meet Thursday July 20th. Top of the Hill at 9:30pm. If your game post.
Directions: Go to the corner of Franklin and Columbia, look up. :thumbup:

UNC-or-BUST said:
Team Awesome is scheduled to meet Thursday July 20th. Top of the Hill at 9:30pm. If your game post.

Damn, I'm going to be out of town, team awesome needs to meet up again when I get back

UNC-or-BUST said:
Lieutenant Badass is on board.

UNC-or-BUST said:

I'm game.

UNC-or-BUST said:

I'll be there.

hey, guys and girls of 2010!

I am a nameless second year. Just wanted to give you some tips on the upcoming first year.

1. Private matters should be discussed through private means - if not at all.
2. Don't be intimidated by the workload. It's a lot of stuff, but it's also stuff you're going to learn over and over. I do not regret missing an evening of study.
3. Be involved in people's lives. Be involved in your family, friends, and SO. This is something that I do regret.
4. Makes lots of friends, but understand you can't be friends with everyone in your class. There are going to be many people who share the same interest as you.
5. Travel.
6. Remember to look away from books and computer screen and breathe.
7. Enjoy your experience. I have really come to appreciate the opportunity medicine has opened up for me. If you observe closely, you will see that medical school is everything you dreamt of and more. It's going to be awesome. Money back guaranteed for those of you getting full ride!

Congrats and good luck! I will see you all when school starts.

Its nice to see so many people up for the Team Awesome meeting.
Golf: you bet your 4ss we'll be doing this again when you get back

Thanks for the advice, always welcome! Any 2nd years that want to come out please do. You can tell us about medical school and we can tell you about being an active social human. :laugh:

Take care all, I look forward to meeting everyone. Make sure to drink at least 32oz of water before coming, megdog has a very dry northeast sense of humor... aahhh those Notre Dame people :smuggrin:

Is anybody going on the camping trip? I can't really decide, I don't want to miss a bonding opportunity but I also want to just get settled in Chapel Hill. Thoughts?

UNC-or-BUST said:

Thanks for the advice, always welcome! Any 2nd years that want to come out please do. You can tell us about medical school and we can tell you about being an active social human. :laugh:

Take care all, I look forward to meeting everyone. Make sure to drink at least 32oz of water before coming, megdog has a very dry northeast sense of humor... aahhh those Notre Dame people :smuggrin:

golftrippy said:
Is anybody going on the camping trip? I can't really decide, I don't want to miss a bonding opportunity but I also want to just get settled in Chapel Hill. Thoughts?

I'm going, for the bonding. The trip sounds fun, and I think it'll be a good opportunity to meet people, but I don't think it'll be your last chance - it seems like they have stuff set up during orientation for us to get to know each other. If you do decide to camp, you'll still have the week of orientation and the following weekend to settle in. Sooo, I don't know if that helps you with your decision, but maybe at least gives you some more things to think about. Hope to see you camping.

UNC-or-BUST said:

I told some other soon-to-be-MS1s on facebook about the meet-and-greet at Top O' Thursday...definitely looking forward to meeting you guys!

UNC-or-BUST said:
i'll be there, might bring another MS1

Any idea when our financial aid will actually be applied to our tuition bills and the surplus deposited in our accounts? Show me the money!!

panamadoc422 said:
Any idea when our financial aid will actually be applied to our tuition bills and the surplus deposited in our accounts? Show me the money!!

Isn't it mid-August? I think that's when they disburse the loans. Not exactly sure, since I don't have the paperwork in front of me.

You guys are meeting tonight at Top of the Hill? :( I'm staying in Whitehead dorm for Summer MED and tonight is my last night in Chapel Hill this summer. But I've got a Histology final tomorrow at 8 a.m. :mad:

any of you guys looking to buy one of these? i was a med student at UNC and am looking to get rid of mine. they're very expensive, so if you want to save some money, PM me. good luck... :oops: :confused:

Hey all,

I am sooo happy to be joining this thread :) I'm guessing that i am a bit late with this but- what kind of living arrangements are people making?

I hope to meet everyone soon and congratulations to all!

Hey all,

I am sooo happy to be joining this thread :) I'm guessing that i am a bit late with this but- what kind of living arrangements are people making?

I hope to meet everyone soon and congratulations to all!

Congratulations!

Most of us have graduated from the program and have left Chapel Hill last year. Some of us have houses and some of us rent. :)

I think you're looking for the class of 2014 thread ;)

Good luck!