University of North Carolina Class of 2010 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Shaka said:
Anything on scholarships?

I think quite a few of the institutional, merit based ones have already gone out. I think there's two or three on mdapplicants alone. Whether or not those people have accepted the awards is yet to be determined. In other words, you could always be on a "waitlist" for an award and not know it. Maybe one of those winners will decide to go to another school. That's what happened to me with an outside scholarship that UNC nominated me for. Obviously no one knows anything about need-based awards as we're all still awaiting news from the finaid office. For those that are still deciding between schools, I know that some schools will let you hold multiple acceptances if you haven't heard back from finaid by the May 15th deadline. Just check with the other schools you are considering. Let's hope we hear something before then.

Members don't see this ad.

4moreatunc said:
Has anyone heard anything about the ICM preceptorship? Good/bad things about choosing each specialty? Having trouble deciding what specialty and where to choose!! This is a 2 yr commitment, and it's due May 1st, that seems really early.
i dont know if someone has answered this but they are probably asking about your community week preceptor. you spend 5 weeks over 2 years with them. there is no way you can tell what you are going to get in terms of mentorship - it varies so much. just choose a specialty and area you want to see. I handed mine in late and got burlington, which was not on my radar. but has the benefit of being able to stay at home in chapel hill. if you end up having serious issues with your mentor you can change.

in terms of specialty - if you dont like kids dont pick peds, pick IM. if you want to maybe see a lot of vag... ob. a lot of hyperlipidemia and hypertension - IM. I have IM and it is a busy office with quick visits. the plus is that it is attached to the hospital so i got to go visit some inpatients and practice physical exams on them. i think the coolest possibility is ANY specialty that lets you get your hands dirty and make mistakes, but you cant select for that unfortunately. if you are motivated i am sure you can find cool things about any specialty. Its really a 5 week, not 2 year commitment, I would stress too much about it.

sorrry this advice comes a little late... but waitlisters might like to see.

Add me to the list of those definitely going to UNC now! When are you guys meeting up in Chapel Hill?

Members don't see this ad :)
bobob said:
Add me to the list of those definitely going to UNC now! When are you guys meeting up in Chapel Hill?

Hey congrats

awwwww just sent in my withdrawal of acceptance :( it was so nice talking to ya'll on this thread. I had a good time. good luck everyone in the next 4 years!!! :)

phenylalanine said:
awwwww just sent in my withdrawal of acceptance :( it was so nice talking to ya'll on this thread. I had a good time. good luck everyone in the next 4 years!!! :)

sad to see you go but I'm hoping this means you got a sweet deal at another school!

bobob said:
sad to see you go but I'm hoping this means you got a sweet deal at another school!
Anything due soon. I'm still waiting for the packet.... :(

UNC-or-BUST said:

I think the immunization stuff is due May 15th but you can access it online at www.applicantcentral.unc.edu

Click on the NC immmunization and medical history icon and complete the form online (then print it out and mail it in after your doctor signs it).

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
CB#7470, Student Health Services Building
ATTN: HIM Department
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7470

PM me if you have more questions!

hpm4 said:
I think the immunization stuff is due May 15th but you can access it online at www.applicantcentral.unc.edu

Click on the NC immmunization and medical history icon and complete the form online (then print it out and mail it in after your doctor signs it).

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
CB#7470, Student Health Services Building
ATTN: HIM Department
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7470

PM me if you have more questions!

The immunization stuff isn't due until orientation in August, right?...I hope not...

golftrippy said:
The immunization stuff isn't due until orientation in August, right?...I hope not...

If memory serves, ICM stuff was due May 1 and immunization stuff May 15.

UNC-or-BUST said:

The parking lottery closes on the 11th I believe. I'm doubtful any first years get spots, but I threw my name into the pool. Registration is on the public safety website, which I accessed through the orientation site. Stranger things have happened...

Can someone show me where it says immunizations are due by May 15th? Everything from the packet says prior to Orientation.

roboyce said:
The parking lottery closes on the 11th I believe. I'm doubtful any first years get spots, but I threw my name into the pool. Registration is on the public safety website, which I accessed through the orientation site. Stranger things have happened...

Can someone show me where it says immunizations are due by May 15th? Everything from the packet says prior to Orientation.

Ross--

It IS due on the 15th...but they won't kick you out of school unless its not done 30 days after the semester starts. Go to the main unc page and log into applicant central (I just did a search for applicant central)...you have to fill out a generic physical form with immunizations...I won't be turning mine in for at least 2 weeks because i just started getting my TB skin test going today...i dont think its a big deal.

golftrippy said:
Ross--

It IS due on the 15th...but they won't kick you out of school unless its not done 30 days after the semester starts. Go to the main unc page and log into applicant central (I just did a search for applicant central)...you have to fill out a generic physical form with immunizations...I won't be turning mine in for at least 2 weeks because i just started getting my TB skin test going today...i dont think its a big deal.

I called the office of student affairs and they said the state of NC immunizations (three DTP or Td, one Td within the last 10 years, and 2 MMR) and the form on applicant central are due by May 15. The supplemental school of medicine shots (a two-step PPD, two varicella shots or a varicella titer, Hep B vaccines, and a Hep B titer) are supposed to be done by July 15...so there's still time to make the May 15 deadline since you probably have all of those except maybe the Td booster. I gotta say, I'm not really a fan of all these shots - I thought I signed up to be on the other side of the needle :rolleyes: .

Members don't see this ad :)
megdog said:
I called the office of student affairs and they said the state of NC immunizations (three DTP or Td, one Td within the last 10 years, and 2 MMR) and the form on applicant central are due by May 15. The supplemental school of medicine shots (a two-step PPD, two varicella shots or a varicella titer, Hep B vaccines, and a Hep B titer) are supposed to be done by July 15...so there's still time to make the May 15 deadline since you probably have all of those except maybe the Td booster. I gotta say, I'm not really a fan of all these shots - I thought I signed up to be on the other side of the needle :rolleyes: .

Thanks for the info everyone. I know that here in Forsyth County, you can get a PPD screen at the Department of Public Health for $10 if you're in a hurry or can't get a timely appointement with your doc. I'm probably going to be late with these forms. We'll see.

Also, I started seriously looking at the school sponsored health insurance. I think I am going to go out on my own on this one. In general, most of us are single, young, and healthy. Additionally, we get the majority of our primary care needs covered by the Student Health Center (since we pay the mandatory student health fee), with the exception of prescription drugs and emergency/hospital care. If you're willing to raise the deductible (ie pay more upfront, out of pocket expenses) you will find there are a other plans offered by Blue Cross/Blue Shield of NC (same provider UNC uses) that are less expensive. I can't say this is the best option for everyone. As with all insurance, it varies with your levels of acceptable risk. Personally, I think I can reduce the cost of my health insurance by more than $2500 over the course of four years by choosing an alternate plan.

Does anyone else find the mandatory $160 Disability Insurance slightly annoying? I mean normally people get disability insurance so they have a means to replace lost income should they be unable to return to work. We're students. What income are we going to lose? On the UNC website it says:

Disability Insurance: The Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME), which sets accreditation standards for medical schools, requires that our school make disability insurance available to all students. A local company has collaborated with our medical school administration and student leaders to offer us an attractive disability plan. However, in order to implement this, the company requires all enrolled students to be covered.

So basically, this company made a deal with UNC in that they would offer disability insurance so long as UNC made every student purchase it. I call shananigans on that one.

roboyce said:
So basically, this company made a deal with UNC in that they would offer disability insurance so long as UNC made every student purchase it. I call shananigans on that one.

Good call on the shananigans. I know Universities are a business but most students are already taking out loans and living on a tight budget...they could at least be more upfront with all this stuff (ie include it in tuition, so we can easily tell we're paying $18k a year or whatever instead of $10k).

Boo for disability insurance.

Yay for merit scholarship! Dr. Hoole called me up at work and told me the good news. I think I sounded like a complete ignoramous on the telephone and he might be reconsidering that offer, but yay for scholarships!

sweetdoc

sweetdoc said:
Boo for disability insurance.

Yay for merit scholarship! Dr. Hoole called me up at work and told me the good news. I think I sounded like a complete ignoramous on the telephone and he might be reconsidering that offer, but yay for scholarships!

sweetdoc

Hey Sweetdoc, that's great news...now you can afford your disability insurance! Seriously, that's awesome.

Congrats Sweet!
Hey, everyone please PM me about your admissions experiences and things you think we (UNC!!! our school :thumbup: ) could improve on. I'm going to write a report for a meeting next week.
Megdog... coffee....mmmmm

megdog said:

This was what I understood, too. I'm wondering if I can get a PPD test through my workplace. The only other thing I'd need is the varicella titer, which is bizarre because a Hx of chicken pox has been enough everywhere else. Guess I have a little bit of time, though.

Also, did I understand it correctly when they said we need to send a copy of all this stuff to the student health center AND the medical school? What, can't they communicate with each other?

I just called the financial aid office just to see how financial aid packages were coming and the woman I spoke said they were trying really hard to get them out by the end of the month......END OF THE MONTH??? Why can the majority of med schools have them already out and UNC is struggling to get them out by the end of May???

2nd page?! This is unacceptable. Where's Davemed and Gmaddy?

BUMP.

sweetdoc

Hey guys,
I have a question for you. I also have been accepted UNC med school. But here is the problem. Do they require ALL students to have a bachelor's degree? I mean when I filled out my Amcas application I did tell them that I will graduate in 12/2006. So do you guys think that it will matter if I dont graduate.

FYI: They do say "Barring extraordinary circumstances a Bachelor's degree is required for admission"

Thanks.

Godse said:
Hey guys,
I have a question for you. I also have been accepted UNC med school. But here is the problem. Do they require ALL students to have a bachelor's degree? I mean when I filled out my Amcas application I did tell them that I will graduate in 12/2006. So do you guys think that it will matter if I dont graduate.

FYI: They do say "Barring extraordinary circumstances a Bachelor's degree is required for admission"

Thanks.

I would probably contact Dr. Axala Hoole if I were you. He is the chair of the admissions committee and will probably be able to tell you better than anyone on here :) Good luck!

You dont think they will rethink their decision, do you? I would assume that they already know this, wouldn't you? I am just paranoid that they will change their minds.

Hi guys! GMaddy's right here! It feels really good to finally be part of this thread! I got the call from UNC on the 16th, now I'm just waiting on my official acceptance packet. That will reassure me that I didn't dream up this whole thing :oops:

Godse, regarding your question: I'd contact Dr. Hoole ASAP. I'm pretty sure you'll need the degree before you can officially matriculate. You might want to ask if you can defer your acceptace until 2007....just a thought.

Gmaddy said:
Hi guys! GMaddy's right here! It feels really good to finally be part of this thread! I got the call from UNC on the 16th, now I'm just waiting on my official acceptance packet. That will reassure me that I didn't dream up this whole thing :oops:

Godse, regarding your question: I'd contact Dr. Hoole ASAP. I'm pretty sure you'll need the degree before you can officially matriculate. You might want to ask if you can defer your acceptace until 2007....just a thought.

Ironically, the doctor I work for now never graduated from college, either. Similar circumstances, I guess, where she was working on her degree but got into medical school with the requisite classes/grades and then just didn't finish.

However, seeing as how that was 30-40 years ago, I imagine things are slightly different and you'd want to double check. Record-keeping is a bit more accurate these days with all those new-fangled electronic gizmos, like computers.

I can understand that you don't want to hear that you have to defer until you have a degree but I think you should definitely talk to Dr. Hoole ASAP and get the good news or bad right away. You don't want to hear that you need a degree when they realize you never sent in a final transcript.

roboyce said:

i think like 30 people in the first year get spots in the s11 lot.
they are uber serious about getting immunizations done before orientation.
there was all this chaos during the year, some people got "kicked out" maybe it was during the first block - because of not have immunizations in order. i mean they got back in the next day once they git the shots, but what a pain in the ass. save yourself some hassle and get it done before orientation.

WholeLottaGame7 said:
Ironically, the doctor I work for now never graduated from college, either. Similar circumstances, I guess, where she was working on her degree but got into medical school with the requisite classes/grades and then just didn't finish.

However, seeing as how that was 30-40 years ago, I imagine things are slightly different and you'd want to double check. Record-keeping is a bit more accurate these days with all those new-fangled electronic gizmos, like computers.
one of next years ms2s doesnt have a hs diploma, or a GED. did get a college degree though.
another one ALREADY has a PA!
big range.

oh yeah.... ms1s finished wednesday. hot damn! let me tell you the feeling of relief is unbelievable. y'all are in for a crazy ride next year. it goes by sooooooo fast.

i am excited for all y'all. enjoy your summer! try not to do anything non-fun for too long and i shall appear again whence i knoweth the big dealith with the camping trip from the coordinating ladies.

i dont check this too much but if anyone has any "urgent" questions that you think i might be able to help with pm me or something.

yeah for summer break!!!

Hey guys,

If anybody is looking for a roomate for next year give me a pm holler. I'd like to live somewhere close to the school (or at least a bus line) and probably want to get a place sometime June/July, so let me know if you might be interested.

We've already got some SMACK-TALKING going on, thanks to WholeLottaGame. . . you may have the clubs, but we got the. . um. . big church?

DANGIT!

pagemmapants said:
We've already got some SMACK-TALKING going on, thanks to WholeLottaGame. . . you may have the clubs, but we got the. . um. . big church?

DANGIT!

It's not smack-talking if you can back it up. Then it's just the cold, hard, truth :smuggrin:

Does anybody have any information on a pre-orientation retreat? Such as...is there one?

Guys, as you told me I contacted Mrs. Alston and she is going to talk to Dr.Hoole. What do you think is the worst this that can happen with my situation? I have the acceptance letter and I have already submitted the form I have to return and the deposit. I am just scared about getting rejected for this technical problem. Be waiting for your comments.

Godse said:
Guys, as you told me I contacted Mrs. Alston and she is going to talk to Dr.Hoole. What do you think is the worst this that can happen with my situation? I have the acceptance letter and I have already submitted the form I have to return and the deposit. I am just scared about getting rejected for this technical problem. Be waiting for your comments.

I would think they were careful enough when they went through your application to notice that you would not have a bachelors degree by this fall. IMO, I would say the worse case scenario would be deferring until next fall when you will have your degree.

hpm4 said:
I would think they were careful enough when they went through your application to notice that you would not have a bachelors degree by this fall. IMO, I would say the worse case scenario would be deferring until next fall when you will have your degree.

Hey guys, have you checked the parking lottery? I actually got a sweet space.

golftrippy said:

Also, I know some kids already have a @med.unc.edu email address...how did you get that?

golftrippy said:

What space did you get? I got a permit in the S11 lot....

Also, I have a med.unc.edu email address but it is because I have been working in a lab that is under the School of Medicine here. I am not sure when we all get the school email addresses....

hpm4 said:
What space did you get? I got a permit in the S11 lot....

Also, I have a med.unc.edu email address but it is because I have been working in a lab that is under the School of Medicine here. I am not sure when we all get the school email addresses....

I got CD...I was pretty excited, seeing as how I was always on the losing end of parking lotteries in college. Ok I was just wondering, right now I've just got that @email.unc.edu address through ONYEN

golftrippy said:
I got CD...I was pretty excited, seeing as how I was always on the losing end of parking lotteries in college. Ok I was just wondering, right now I've just got that @email.unc.edu address through ONYEN

So, is it still possible to still get parking on campus? I'm assuming it's not...but I figured no harm asking.

I still got an email saying that financial aid awards letters are done and on myunc.edu. :)

hpm4 said:
I still got an email saying that financial aid awards letters are done and on myunc.edu. :)

Anyone else hear anything? I'm still in the dark...am I the only one? I'm hoping that all letters will be out by the end of the week.

I received a parking spot in the CD lot as well, but I don't think I'm going to pay for it. I want to try to minimize my driving while in school. I'm going to be living close enough to campus to bike to class (up the hill), but even if that doesn't work out, I can walk to a bus stop that goes directly to the hospital. We'll see if I regret this decision in a couple months...

With any luck, I should be moving over to Chapel Hill in the next few weeks. I'm shooting for mid-June. I've got some work to do on my new place, but I'll be around if anyone else is going to be in the area. Let me know.

R

roboyce said:
Anyone else hear anything? I'm still in the dark...am I the only one? I'm hoping that all letters will be out by the end of the week.

I received a parking spot in the CD lot as well, but I don't think I'm going to pay for it. I want to try to minimize my driving while in school. I'm going to be living close enough to campus to bike to class (up the hill), but even if that doesn't work out, I can walk to a bus stop that goes directly to the hospital. We'll see if I regret this decision in a couple months...

With any luck, I should be moving over to Chapel Hill in the next few weeks. I'm shooting for mid-June. I've got some work to do on my new place, but I'll be around if anyone else is going to be in the area. Let me know.

R

Bumpity Bump Bump Bump....what is everybody up to? Read any good books lately? Anyone else think The Davinci Code blew?...this thread needs some action.

golftrippy said:
Bumpity Bump Bump Bump....what is everybody up to? Read any good books lately? Anyone else think The Davinci Code blew?...this thread needs some action.

Hey again everyone...so I saw The Da Vinci Code. It's one of those things where I'm glad I saw it so I can talk about it, but I didn't really enjoy it, and I wouldn't see it again. Did you read the book golftrippy? I thought it was better than the movie, but they both dragged (drug?) on.

I'm moving down to Chapel Hill this weekend, so if anyone wants to hangout, give me a holler.

megdog said:
Hey again everyone...so I saw The Da Vinci Code. It's one of those things where I'm glad I saw it so I can talk about it, but I didn't really enjoy it, and I wouldn't see it again. Did you read the book golftrippy? I thought it was better than the movie, but they both dragged (drug?) on.

I'm moving down to Chapel Hill this weekend, so if anyone wants to hangout, give me a holler.

Yeah I read the book and the movie...the book was pretty good but Tom Hanks was horrible.

golftrippy said:
Yeah I read the book and the movie...the book was pretty good but Tom Hanks was horrible.

I thought all of the acting was pretty bad. The French girl improved as the film went on (maybe they shot the scenes in order?), but the albino monk and Teabing's handyman were awful to the point of being amusing.

megdog said:
I thought all of the acting was pretty bad. The French girl improved as the film went on (maybe they shot the scenes in order?), but the albino monk and Teabing's handyman were awful to the point of being amusing.

I was somewhat surprised (but I guess not really) that they watered it down as much as they did from the book. The acting did kind of suck, but what can you do.

Anyways, so I was thinking I would respond to UNC's throwdown email about immunizations in kind, by letting them know that I'll send their stuff in whenever they send me my financial aid package. I hear medical schools respond well to that kind of strong-arming negotiation.

Apparently at UNC the burden of timeliness is only on the applicants' side of things. I swear, if it weren't so cheap and such a good school.... They could really take some lessons from some of these other schools.