University of North Dakota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

affectiveH3art

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone encountered someone who has graduated from the PhD Counseling Psychology program? Any complaints, concerns, etc. I can not get a "feel" for the program so I am a little hesitant. It is APA accredited but will location affect "multiculturalism" oriented research. I'm curious if anyone has even heard of it.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone encountered someone who has graduated from the PhD Counseling Psychology program? Any complaints, concerns, etc. I can not get a "feel" for the program so I am a little hesitant. It is APA accredited but will location affect "multiculturalism" oriented research. I'm curious if anyone has even heard of it.:confused:

I see lots of people viewing this question so I will simply say, yes Virginia, there is a University of North Dakota and they have quite a good psychology program both clinical and counseling. I have PMed affectiveH3art directly in answer to alot of their questions. If anyone else has particular questions about the program and/or location, please feel free to PM me. I am a current grad student here at UND and have lived in the area for many years. The clinical program is strong and has a great history of internship match rate.

The counseling program has a good match rate. They're very involved in research with rural mental health and have a lot of other interesting research going on. It's definitely different from the clinical program in many ways, and I can PM you regarding that if you want more details.

Grand Forks is okay to live in. It's very cold and there's not a lot of city life, but it's not bad. Most of the multicultural clinical/research opportunities involve the Native American population, which you would definitely be involved with at some point if you went to UND (for instance, I've had Native American therapy and assessment clients). You also do get some exposure to multiculturalism due to the large international student population, particularly the Aerospace school.

The counseling program is funded for four years (unlike the clinical program) so there are IMO better practicum opportunities because you don't have to worry about being paid. You may have to commute a bit, but most students do for placements. I know a lot of graduates from the counseling program and they seem to do pretty well. They are in a lot of the same courses as clinical students so that's not a lot different, although they take the courses at different times in their program than the clinical students do.

Last edited:
Great, I'm feeling so great about this program. I was a little hesitant about the location (the freezing cold) but so far I feel great. I hope I get accepted!!