University of Oklahoma Fall 2008 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxBritt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I just wanted to start a thread for those applying to OU!:) I know it will be a while before we hear anything from them. If anyone is interested my stats are:

Overall GPA: 3.90
Science GPA: 3.86
PCAT: 75( I was SO HAPPY with this!) I know its not amazing but to me it was!

I will have a B.S. in Organismic Biology as well!

My work experience includes:

Three years Pharm Tech experience
Over 200 hours volunteer work at Indian Clinic Pharmacy
And volunteer work at a Free clinic offered by the Health Department as a pharm tech! I am also an Indian Health Scholarship receipient (not sure if that helps in the admissions process?) Not sure on chances of getting in but I feel ok about it!

Best wishes for all applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I just wanted to start a thread for those applying to OU!:) I know it will be a while before we hear anything from them. If anyone is interested my stats are:

And volunteer work at a Free clinic offered by the Health Department as a pharm tech! I am also an Indian Health Scholarship receipient (not sure if that helps in the admissions process?) Not sure on chances of getting in but I feel ok about it!

Good stats!!!!

I'm sure I will be meeting you at some point, if you get an interview. I will be at both dates. Good luck!!

And, no, IHS doesn't help.

I received my interview invite last Thursday. I will be going Feb. 23rd. Hope it all goes well. This is the only school I applied to.

Overall GPA 3.58
Science GPA 3.8
PCAT 76
Second Time applying.
Hope this year will be the last.

Was rejected very late in the cycle last year.

New to this site. Hope to meet others applying or currently attending OUCOP.

Best of luck to us all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my interview invite last Thursday. I will be going Feb. 23rd. Hope it all goes well. This is the only school I applied to.

Overall GPA 3.58
Science GPA 3.8
PCAT 76
Second Time applying.

Best of luck to us all.

I'll see ya there!!!!

I also received an interview invite to OU for feb. 23!! Yeah! I am kind of nervous about the interview process, not sure what to expect, however I feel that I will do fine. I am applying to SWOSU also and maybe KU.

Overall GPA 3.58
Science GPA 3.8
PCAT 76
Second Time applying.

Best of luck to us all.

Did you do anything different when you apply this time? ur stats look reallly good, i don't know why they won't accept you the first time.

Did you do anything different when you apply this time? ur stats look reallly good, i don't know why they won't accept you the first time.

I raised my PCAT score substaintially. My score with last years application was a 49 and this year it is a 76.

Hope that is good enough because I am not wanting to ever take it again!!!

I raised my PCAT score substaintially. My score with last years application was a 49 and this year it is a 76.

Hope that is good enough because I am not wanting to ever take it again!!!

There are people in my class with substantially lower PCATs than 76. Did you interview last year?

I know what you mean! I was never given an interview until this year due to my sub score in chemistry! However, I am also pleased to have a 75 and I hope it will be good as well. Did you interview last year?

There are people in my class with substantially lower PCATs than 76. Did you interview last year?

Yes I did. I was in the second interview date, I think it was March 3rd. I think the interview went very well. I never received a rejection letter until late July. My application was on hold for a very long time. I know it was the PCAT score.

Yes I did. I was in the second interview date, I think it was March 3rd. I think the interview went very well. I never received a rejection letter until late July. My application was on hold for a very long time. I know it was the PCAT score.

There are a couple of people who didn't get accepted till the first of August. Did you pick Tulsa or OKC?

My stats were close to yours last year. I had lots of volunteer work as well.

I know what you mean! I was never given an interview until this year due to my sub score in chemistry! However, I am also pleased to have a 75 and I hope it will be good as well. Did you interview last year?

What was your subscore?

There are a couple of people who didn't get accepted till the first of August. Did you pick Tulsa or OKC?

My stats were close to yours last year. I had lots of volunteer work as well.

I picked Tulsa. I see you are at Tulsa. How do you like it?

Do you normally get the campus you prefer?

How is school this year? So is that you child? If so how is pharmacy school with being a parent?

I am a single mother and a little worried about studying. How much would you say you study a night?

Sorry for all the questions but just looking for some insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
I picked Tulsa. I see you are at Tulsa. How do you like it?

Do you normally get the campus you prefer?

How is school this year? So is that you child? If so how is pharmacy school with being a parent?

I am a single mother and a little worried about studying. How much would you say you study a night?

Sorry for all the questions but just looking for some insight.

I love school. If you choose Tulsa, you'll (most likely....had to throw in a disclaimer) get Tulsa. More people want to go to OKC than Tulsa.

School is difficult, but doable. I have met and made so many great friends. You form support systems amongst each other. I have a little girl. She is 3. It is hard with her, but I try to involve her. When I sit down to study, she likes to color and draw. Also, DVD players are your friend. She also attends an awesome day care, so I don't have to worry about her during the day.

My study habits are a little odd, and I don't recommend them. I went over the material as we learned it and got a basic understanding. I would then study the night before the test. It worked for me, but others tried to do it and weren't so lucky.

I am an ambassador for the College, so if you have any other questions, please ask.

I am an ambassador for the College, so if you have any other questions, please ask.[/quote]

Are you the one who will interview us?

So you mean, if we pick Tulsa, it's easier for us to get in?

My chem subscore was below a 25, however this year it has more than doubled. I was never invited to interview even with a composite of 61 last year. I am pleased with my current score on the pcat. I will also be graduating summa cum Laude from NSU in May with my Biology degree which is very exciting! I really hope to get accepted to OU Tulsa. I have been accepted to Harding for the Fall, however the cost is VERY high and I would like to try to go to a state school instead.

My chem subscore was below a 25, however this year it has more than doubled. I was never invited to interview even with a composite of 61 last year. I am pleased with my current score on the pcat. I will also be graduating summa cum Laude from NSU in May with my Biology degree which is very exciting! I really hope to get accepted to OU Tulsa. I have been accepted to Harding for the Fall, however the cost is VERY high and I would like to try to go to a state school instead.

NSU Tahlequah? Oh, and, the cutoff for a composite is 50, but the cutoff for a subscore is 25. You must meet both requirements.

Are you the one who will interview us?

So you mean, if we pick Tulsa, it's easier for us to get in?

No, it's not easier to get in, but if you choose Tulsa, and you are accepted, you'll probably get Tulsa. Campus assignments/choices have nothing to do with acceptances.

I went to tahlequah for 2 years and now I go to NSUBA. I am very excited about my interview, do you have any advice to prepare?

I went to tahlequah for 2 years and now I go to NSUBA. I am very excited about my interview, do you have any advice to prepare?

Uummm, I was so nervous!! But, it wasn't bad. I had a good panel. They ask you basic questions. Also, they seemed very impressed that I had questions to ask them at the end, and that I knew some about the school and the DD program.

How do you find volunteer work like that?

What do you have to do to be a pharm tech?

Well, I first started volunteering at the Indian Clinic in high school through a program known as shadowing. I did that for a year, then I contacted the hospital while in college and asked if I could volunteer over the summer. While there, they trained me as a pharm tech so that I could do more work in the clinic. At my current job, my boss introduced me to the free clinic in Rogers county and I have been volunteering there since.

How do I find someone to shadow?

I'm applying for Fall 2008 and just submitted my Fall 2007 transcript. I'm a junior right now, and will finish me pre-requisites this Spring semester. I would prefer to go to Tulsa if I get in, but I'm not sure if that will happen. My PCAT wasn't as good as I would have liked, but unfortunately with 12 hours this summer and then the fall semester I didn't have a lot of time to study. I have gone back and forth between different health fields, and confidently chose Pharmacy last Spring (2007). My GPA after the Fall (and extremely hard semester!!) is 3.79, and I'm not sure about my science GPA but it was 3.84 before the semester and I got B's in Anatomy and Biochem, and an A in Organic 2. My main question is: Although I am really interested in Pharmacy and am constantly feeling more excited for this path, I do not have any volunteer/work experience because of my late decision to pursue the field. How often are students admitted without any experience? I have shadowed and I loved that, but I'm from Chicago and so going back and forth has made it hard to get a job (no one wants to hire for a short break!). Thank you guys for any input into my position! Good luck everyone!

I'm applying for Fall 2008 and just submitted my Fall 2007 transcript. I'm a junior right now, and will finish me pre-requisites this Spring semester. I would prefer to go to Tulsa if I get in, but I'm not sure if that will happen. My PCAT wasn't as good as I would have liked, but unfortunately with 12 hours this summer and then the fall semester I didn't have a lot of time to study. I have gone back and forth between different health fields, and confidently chose Pharmacy last Spring (2007). My GPA after the Fall (and extremely hard semester!!) is 3.79, and I'm not sure about my science GPA but it was 3.84 before the semester and I got B's in Anatomy and Biochem, and an A in Organic 2. My main question is: Although I am really interested in Pharmacy and am constantly feeling more excited for this path, I do not have any volunteer/work experience because of my late decision to pursue the field. How often are students admitted without any experience? I have shadowed and I loved that, but I'm from Chicago and so going back and forth has made it hard to get a job (no one wants to hire for a short break!). Thank you guys for any input into my position! Good luck everyone!

Lots of people get in with no experience. We look for well rounded candidates. No pharmacy experience will not kill you. I learned of some applicant pool stats yesterday. I must say, it's quite interesting.

My advice: If you get an interview, nail it.

why do you say to nail it? Is the applicant pool very competitive this year??

i got an interview there too but i dont think im gonna go but it seems like a nice school. not sure the stats there but heres mine:

GPA 3.0 but mostly A's and few B's in pre-req
Bio Degree end of Spring
Pcat: 95 :) with no lower than 90's in all sciences
Experience: 3 years+ certified tech

it seems like a nice school so gluck brit

Lots of people get in with no experience. We look for well rounded candidates. No pharmacy experience will not kill you. I learned of some applicant pool stats yesterday. I must say, it's quite interesting.

My advice: If you get an interview, nail it.

Heck...they let you in.. so it can't be that hard...:smuggrin:

pharmpills: what school are you most interested in attending?

pharmpills: what school are you most interested in attending?

I have my eyes on Lecom, UF, Nova and Palm beach in essence my home state school lol. i have an interview in the comming days but im still waiting for the schools i listed above. my scores reached them late december so its gonna take a week or 2 to hopefully hear something. did u apply anywhere else rxbrit?

Hello! I applied for the Fall 2008 and will be at interviews on Feb 23rd! I am very excited...as this is my second time ;)

My stats definitely leave something to be desired. I did some messing up when I decided to attend SWOSU for my freshman and part of my sophomore year. That messed up my science GPA along with my overall :(. My overall GPA is 3.1 and my pcat score is 75. I have been a technician for 2 years(CPhT for 1 year) now at the same pharmacy. I shadowed several different types of pharmacies prior to getting a job as a tech. I also volunteer at a pharmacy inside the Baptist Mission Center. I have been in very close contact with several people at the school of pharmacy (OKC campus) and improving my grades rapidly.

Good luck to everyone who will be participating in interviews!

My stats definitely leave something to be desired. I did some messing up when I decided to attend SWOSU for my freshman and part of my sophomore year. That messed up my science GPA along with my overall :(.

Whats bad about SWOSU? I've heard nothing but good about it...

There is nothing bad about SWOSU. Weatherford and I didn't get along too well though. Their chemistry programs are very very intense. To be quite honest, I don't think I was ready to handle the type of course load that I received. I was one of those people who was shocked when they got into college because they had never had to study in high school. I had always grown up in a large city and the move right out of high school to a university that was the size of my high school was a huge culture shock. Moving away and going to OU was the best option for me.

Was it just chemistry in general or just chem at SWOSU that you had a problem with? I've heard that OU has the hardest chemistry, so if SWOSU is harder than I'm going to have a really hard time.

Do you have any recommendations of good/bad teachers there?

I am really pretty good at chemistry but when I took my first gen chem class at swosu and didnt do very well in it, i just went on and tried studying harder. That didnt work either, I got a D in the next and had to retake it. I cried so hard because I tried so hard. When I started taking Organic I, I started going through it and it was fine. It was during this semester that I came home. I started at OU and went through Org I with NO problem whatsoever. I get into Org II and I was learning things at the end of that course that I had learned within the first 2 months in Org I at SWOSU . It was rediculous. Dr. Lane is who I had at SWOSU for Org I. But the program just as a whole is very intense. You will be fine if you have time to devote to only that class because we were in there during the day for our regularly scheduled class...then back at night about 2-3 nights a week learning separate things for the class. INSANE.

If they are still there, try to get one of the Esjornson's. They are the only one's that weren't completely rediculous.

Other than the Chemistry I loved the course size and the attention you could get from professors in every other subject. Oh the labs are really fun too. I thought the ones at OU were a joke compared to what I had to do at SWOSU...

I kind of wanted to go to OU but I'm really drawn to the small school. My mom is convinced that OU is just a party school and that SWOSU would be better. I really don't know what to think because I haven't heard much comparison of the two.

I kind of wanted to go to OU but I'm really drawn to the small school. My mom is convinced that OU is just a party school and that SWOSU would be better. I really don't know what to think because I haven't heard much comparison of the two.

OU is big, but school is what you make it. SWOSU has it's fair share of parties and drinking, as does OU. To pick a school based on that isn't a good idea.

Thats what I told my mom, but she doesn't seem to understand. I think I'll try SWOSU but prolley end up at OU.

Have you heard that apparently CVS won't hire OU kids? When my pharmacist said that, I was a bit surprised, but from what I've heard on here I don't think I'd want to work there.

Thats what I told my mom, but she doesn't seem to understand. I think I'll try SWOSU but prolley end up at OU.

Have you heard that apparently CVS won't hire OU kids? When my pharmacist said that, I was a bit surprised, but from what I've heard on here I don't think I'd want to work there.

Yes they do. They come to recruit ALL of the time. I have more CVS pens than care to.

Interviews and good communication skills can put a candidate with a so-so GPA ahead of a candidate with a 4.0, 99 PCAT. Interviews are very important here.

SWOSU is definitely a party school as well...they both are. You will get that anywhere I am afraid.

I actually work for CVS and have for almost 2 years now. The PIC at my store is from OU...along with many of the other pharmacists that I know who work for CVS.

I went in for a re-applicant follow up after I was rejected and I definitely got the impression that interviews are VERY important.

Does OU accept students into the program every semester or only in the fall?

OU only accepts a new class of students once a year, for the Fall.

Well that sucks because I'll be done with my pre-reqs in the fall. I know that SWOSU accepts in spring, fall, and summer, so I wonder why OU doesn't. Maybe SWOSU just accepts everyone in the fall, but you start class in different semesters so the classes will be smaller? This whole application thing is so complicated.