University of Oklahoma Fall 2008 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh! Wow...that is a little shocking. I completely forgot about the extra pre-req's! I had already completed them so I guess I just didn't think about it!

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, there were only ~300 applications received this year because of the increased pre req situation. They had to lower the PCAT and GPA standards so that they could fill the interviews.

Just a quick copy/paste from the OUHSC website about college of pharmacy's admissions last year.
Fall 2007 Admission Statistics

Applications received: 411
Applicants invited to interview: 225
Applicants interviewed: 196
Applicants offered admission: 143
Average Overall GPA: 3.55
Average Composite PCAT Score: 74th percentile

So...... Cyclo, are you saying that because there were only around 300 applicants this year.... the average GPA and PCAT is probably lower than the class of 2007 ?

Just a quick copy/paste from the OUHSC website about college of pharmacy's admissions last year.
Fall 2007 Admission Statistics

Applications received: 411
Applicants invited to interview: 225
Applicants interviewed: 196
Applicants offered admission: 143
Average Overall GPA: 3.55
Average Composite PCAT Score: 74th percentile

So...... Cyclo, are you saying that because there were only around 300 applicants this year.... the average GPA and PCAT is probably lower than the class of 2007 ?

I know what our stats are, I am saying that we received 300 apps, and the GPA and pre req standards are lower. I know of people with 40 PCATs getting interviews. Does that mean that Class of 2012 averages will be lower than 2011? Probably.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, things are alot different this year in the applicant pool. Are you going to interviews?

Yeah, I'm planning on going. It should be fun to see all the nervous people. Also, I have been told by Nick and Shaun that Tulsa campus has a kickass food place that has gyros and things. If this is true then I am very jealous because I am tired of Chik-fil-a

Aww! That's not nice...I am sure you were nervous once too!!! I am just kidding I am sure it is pretty funny to see all of us being nervous!

I know what our stats are, I am saying that we received 300 apps, and the GPA and pre req standards are lower. I know of people with 40 PCATs getting interviews. Does that mean that Class of 2012 averages will be lower than 2011? Probably.

Thank you much for the clarification!

ahhh! I hope this is the case! I would love to find out ASAP!!!!!

I really do too! That would be ideal! All of the waiting is so hard!!!

Downonthepharm: would students be notified a week after their interview session or a week after all of the interviews have been completed?

Yeah, I'm planning on going. It should be fun to see all the nervous people. Also, I have been told by Nick and Shaun that Tulsa campus has a kickass food place that has gyros and things. If this is true then I am very jealous because I am tired of Chik-fil-a

Bill and Ruth's sucks. Probably kinda like how Chik-fil-a sucks for you. Oh well. We have a bunch of good places around the school that we go to. This semester, we haven't been going to eat as much since we get out for good at noon.

We are trying to speed up the notification process this year. An idea is being toyed around that students would receive an email that they have been selected as soon as the week following interviews with a formal letter to follow. We dont want to lose any of our candidates for pokeyness this year. When I was accepted we didnt get our letters until almost two months later which was very very stressful!

That would be such a blessing!!!!

Down,

I believe I was in your group last year at the interviews. Are you the blonde who has a husband in Nursing school.

If so you were a great help on that very stressful day.

anyone will be interviewing aT OU on March 1st?

I kind of wanted to go to OU but I'm really drawn to the small school. My mom is convinced that OU is just a party school and that SWOSU would be better. I really don't know what to think because I haven't heard much comparison of the two.

I graduated from OU many years ago. Back in the day the college of pharm was in Norman. I knew folks from both colleges and really didn't think there was much difference if any between the schools. Also once I was out in the job market the only thing retail employers wanted to know was if I had a license in good standing. They didn't care where I received my degree. Today its still the same in retail and hospital. Maybe some of the clinical programs might look for a specific school but my guess is 90% of the employers are more concerned with the license status. I never was asked about my grades. So go where you feel comfortable going. As far as a party school. If you spend time partying in pharmacy school you will most likely fail. About 1/3 of my class never made it. 95% of those were the ones who thought they could party and cram in one night for a test. My life consisted of school study every chance I had work and sleep. One other perk was I sold my football tickets especially the texas OU tickets. I don't know the status of tickets today but I made enough to pay two months rent. Texas tickets alone went for about 75 to 100bucks. My rent was 180/month. Felt like I won a prize in a contest when I sold them. Do you know what housing costs are today and if the football tickets are still a hot item. If you don't live in oklahoma you will really like it. Great friendly people lots of sunshine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am getting so nervous since the interview is just about a week away for me.

me too! and I havent booked a hotel yet because I couldn't decide which one would be best to stay at??

me too! and I havent booked a hotel yet because I couldn't decide which one would be best to stay at??

Last year I stayed at the Renaissance. It was only about a minute drive from the hotel to the school.

This year I won't be getting a hotel because I have the later interview time.

I thought that the Renaissance sounded nice, but I wasn't sure how close it was to the school! Thanks for the info!

There are many hotels very close to the school. Sheraton, Marriott Courtyard and of course the Renaissance. They are all in the same area in downtown which is minutes from the campus. Where are you coming from RXBrit?

Interviews and good communication skills can put a candidate with a so-so GPA ahead of a candidate with a 4.0, 99 PCAT. Interviews are very important here.

lol that 4.0 and 99 pcat student would have to be super lazy and give 2 word answer in the interview.

Claremore, OK! It is not too far away.

I am coming in from California for an interview on March 1st (morning session). I am very excited for the opportunity, but naturally nervous as well. I was wondering if the competition for the out of state positions are much more competitive than for the in state positions? I would also just like to say thank you to everyone that has been posting information on here, it has been a great help to me and also helped calm my nerves quite a bit.

-Any extra interview tips would be a huge help. This will be the first interview that I will be attending and I do not know really what to expect.

I am coming in from California for an interview on March 1st (morning session). I am very excited for the opportunity, but naturally nervous as well. I was wondering if the competition for the out of state positions are much more competitive than for the in state positions? I would also just like to say thank you to everyone that has been posting information on here, it has been a great help to me and also helped calm my nerves quite a bit.

-Any extra interview tips would be a huge help. This will be the first interview that I will be attending and I do not know really what to expect.

There is only one session on March 1. Of course, they take qualified in states over out of staters. But, I have a lot of out of state people in my class.

There is only one session on March 1. Of course, they take qualified in states over out of staters. But, I have a lot of out of state people in my class.

Yeah, I was surprised at the number of out of state in our class.

Is there any difference between the two interview dates as far as chance of acceptance is concerned?

Does anyone know how many people will be interviewed at each session?

Does anyone know how many people will be interviewed at each session?

i saw ur stats and to me u shouldnt worry bc u have a great chance of being accepted unless u royally screw up ur interview.

haha thank you! I know I just need to RELAX! Will you be interviewing saturday as well?

haha thank you! I know I just need to RELAX! Will you be interviewing saturday as well?

nah i turned down my interview to oklahoma bc im waiting for my home state schools, well at least thats one less competition for u lol. best of luck

good luck to you to! Oklahoma is my home state so its my top choice. I hope you also get into your home state school!

To anyone like me who is interviewing Saturday, pay attention to the weather. It would probably be wise to leave early if you are driving. I'm coming from southern Missouri and leaving Friday morning since we are getting ice right now. Good luck to all!

I am also going up friday. I hope the roads don't get too bad! I am ready to get this interview done with!

Be careful in your travels from Missouri!! On Saturday in Oklahoma City it looks like there will be a high of 53 or so! We shouldn't be getting any weather here in the state according to Weather.com! Again, be safe and good luck on Saturday everyone!

Two more days! I don't think I'll be able to focus tomorrow. The e-mail that Jennifer just sent said to wear comfortable shoes...I think I'm still going to stick with my high heels. I hope I don't regret that decision!

RxBritt-- you have *fantastic* stats. You're going to do great!

Thanks ramo! I am going to wear my heals as well, who cares if my feet hurt haha! I am wearing a black suit, I was going to wear a dress but decided to go with comfort instead! Good luck everyone!

I agree!! I am still wearing my heels as well. Last year we didn't do that much walking that I can recall. I wonder where we are going!!

How did everyone think their interview went????

I heard good things about the interviewees!!!!!!

The interview was not as bad as I had thought it would be! Which is what everyone says but is hard to believe until it's actually over. The interviewers asked me very basic questions about my expectations and experiences. One of the ladies knew Tom, the pharmacist I work for at Health for Friends, so it was nice! I am so glad that they're notifying students by e-mail and (hopefully) mid-March!

I agree with ramo, It wasn't that bad this year. I interviewed last year and I felt that they had asked me a lot of questions. This worries me because my interviewers didn't ask me very many questions. I felt like I was just having a conversation with them lol. I do know that I was in the last interview group and the interviewers HAD to have been tired from all of the interviews that they did yesterday. I guess it's just a waiting game now!

Cyclo-I remember meeting you and your daughter looks a lot like you. You probably don't remember me since you met so many people yesterday but I was the one waiting forever for room 102 w in the morning group I was supposed to interview at 10:00 and did not get in till almost 10:30. I think it went well and I am sure glad that it is over and now the waiting begins. Nice to meet you! Hope your husband was able to fix your tire.

Cycloketocaine-- Do you know if OU accepts 20% out of state students for every incoming class?

I thought my interview went really well and now I just want to know if I got in or not...haha. Guess I will just have to wait it out....:rolleyes:

So did you guys do a lot of walking? I will be wearing heels and I realize that it will be cold, but I want to look professional. How was the group interview and what was the set up like? Thank you in advance for your comments and best of luck to everyone! I will be interviewing on Mar 1, the day before my birthday!:hardy:

I thought that the interviews went really well. Everyone on campus was so nice! :) It is tough to wait now since I totally fell in love with the school while I was there. :love: Good luck to everyone!!!:luck:

I'm going to agree with Pharm OU and Ramo, I didn't interview last year so I don't have another interview to compare this to, but it felt pretty short and it really did feel more like a 'get to know you,' conversation than an interview.

I was a little concerned when they told us there would be 15 fewer seats this year compared to last year, but several of the P-1's who were there kept telling us, "Don't sweat too much, you're here for a reason."

oh yeah, to answer Lady23's question, I was in the last group, and we really didn't do that much walking. We just walked over to the student union (next door) took a brief tour of the union, then sat and talked to our P-1 volunteer guides until it was time for our interview.

That would be such a blessing!!!!

Down,

I believe I was in your group last year at the interviews. Are you the blonde who has a husband in Nursing school.

If so you were a great help on that very stressful day.

Yep, that was probably me. Glad I could help you! :)

So if anyone saw a blonde in an red sweater, a black headband and a heart necklace Saturday morning that was me. All of my interviewees were very qualified, I was impressed. I will admit I was scared about interviewing people, but it turned out to be really really fun.[/quote]

Do you remember which room you were in ? or who else was with you?