University of Pittsburgh AUD program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SufjanS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with it? How are the professors, facilities, etc? I am probably going to take a drive there to check it out myself next weekend but any input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I just got accepted today and have heard good things about the program. They rank 19th out of the top 100. They have a facebook group too if you want to ask questions.

SufjanS: Did you do the scholarship paper for REACH? I'm headed to Pitt next weekend for my interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
SufjanS: Did you do the scholarship paper for REACH? I'm headed to Pitt next weekend for my interview.

I didn't. I wasn't really planning on going to pittsburgh but the more I've look into it the more of a reality it's become, so I am kinda kicking myself for not taking it seriously. :oops:

Are you from Pittsburgh? I've never been, so I may be going to visit in the next week or so. I've been spending a lot of time checking out some of the places and neighborhoods to live. Seems like a really cool city with a bit of a southern atmosphere.

I have been accepted to the program but I am unable to visit the open house this weekend due to prior engagements. I would greatly appreciate any impressions that anyone is able to share via a post here!

I didn't. I wasn't really planning on going to pittsburgh but the more I've look into it the more of a reality it's become, so I am kinda kicking myself for not taking it seriously. :oops:

Are you from Pittsburgh? I've never been, so I may be going to visit in the next week or so. I've been spending a lot of time checking out some of the places and neighborhoods to live. Seems like a really cool city with a bit of a southern atmosphere.

Being from the other half of the state, I can't say I've ever heard of the Burgh as having a southern atmosphere.

Being from the other half of the state, I can't say I've ever heard of the Burgh as having a southern atmosphere.

:laugh:

I've never been there, but thats the vibe I've gotten from the pictures and apartments I've seen. Guess I should go visit soon to see what its really like.

AudQuestions: what part of eastern PA are you from?

SufjanS: No, however my sisters have gone/ is now going to school there. (Duquesne and Pitt) I also have family members who live close by (7 min. to an hr). I only live two hours out of pittsburgh.

HappyApplicant: I am going so I will private message you what I think.

As far as Pittsburgh goes it is one of the cheapest cities to live in and everyone who I've ever talked to has loved living there. PA does have alot of the southern charm in some places, but not all. I'm from western PA and am currently doing my undergrad in eastern Pa. I am also a HUGE steelers fan.:thumbup:

Heard there's a heavy emphasis on research.

AudQuestions: what part of eastern PA are you from?

SufjanS: No, however my sisters have gone/ is now going to school there. (Duquesne and Pitt) I also have family members who live close by (7 min. to an hr). I only live two hours out of pittsburgh.

HappyApplicant: I am going so I will private message you what I think.

As far as Pittsburgh goes it is one of the cheapest cities to live in and everyone who I've ever talked to has loved living there. PA does have alot of the southern charm in some places, but not all. I'm from western PA and am currently doing my undergrad in eastern Pa. I am also a HUGE steelers fan.:thumbup:

About 15 minutes from Salus, if no traffic.

Maybe Pittsburgh looks like the south, but I don't think the attitude is very Southern. Now you do know they say Pennsylvania has Philadelphia on the right, Pittsburgh on the left, and Alabama in the middle.

Maybe Pittsburgh looks like the south, but I don't think the attitude is very Southern. Now you do know they say Pennsylvania has Philadelphia on the right, Pittsburgh on the left, and Alabama in the middle.

Yeah the Alabama part...I live there haha! I currently live in the town of the mecha hospital that is geisinger, but i'm from the small town of Clearfield (home of the world's biggest burger! Denny's Beer Barrel Pub).

Salus, cool, did you apply there? I was accepted and paid the $500 matriculation fee to hold my spot (got accepted in late Jan. and was afraid I wasn't going to get in anywhere else), sadly that's money lost. I have a friend who lives around Salus.

SoCalAud: :highfive:

Yeah the Alabama part...I live there haha! I currently live in the town of the mecha hospital that is geisinger, but i'm from the small town of Clearfield (home of the world's biggest burger! Denny's Beer Barrel Pub).

Salus, cool, did you apply there? I was accepted and paid the $500 matriculation fee to hold my spot (got accepted in late Jan. and was afraid I wasn't going to get in anywhere else), sadly that's money lost. I have a friend who lives around Salus.

SoCalAud: :highfive:

I've heard some not so great things about Salus. Plus, I am looking to move further away.

I've heard some not so great things about Salus. Plus, I am looking to move further away.

Same. However, that was already after I had received my acceptance letter. I don't blame you I want to move further away also.

SufjanS: Headed to the Burgh tonight! If you come to the open house tomorrow I will be in a blue suit w/ a skirt.

Same. However, that was already after I had received my acceptance letter. I don't blame you I want to move further away also.

SufjanS: Headed to the Burgh tonight! If you come to the open house tomorrow I will be in a blue suit w/ a skirt.

I wish I could go but I couldn't get work off! :thumbdown:

I'm going to have to make an appointment to go visit. Please let me know what you think of it though! Have fun!

I LOVE Pittsburgh. I grew up in Buffalo and it's not too far of a drive. I had friends who went to school there and liked it, although one thing they did say was that bars closed early (well compared to Buffalo where they are open until 4 am).

The baseball stadium is new and AWESOME. It's a great park and I've been to several games there.

The downtown is going through a "revitalization." I think it has a cool vibe and I've enjoyed hanging out there when I tagged along with my boyfriend for a work conference. Although staying at one of the nicest hotels and sharing his per diem may have influenced that. :)

Sorry it took me so long to post, but I've had a very busy week.

All in all I loved the open house. We toured UPMC presbyterian and the Children's Hospital, both very cool! I really liked the professors. They seemed very open and friendly, which is a big plus in my books! The program starts out with three weeks of clinical work and two days of class time. We do have some classes with the SLP's but then again we are used to that. If you do decide to go read up on anatomy and physiology. Places to live are Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Friendship, and Oakland. Although Oakland is mostly undergrads and loud. Bus transportation is free with student I.D. so if you don't want to take a car you don't have to. If you have any other questions please let me know.