University of Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sexyman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was unfamiliar with University of Rochester until recently. I really like the curriculum that consists of 14 hours of lecture and 3 hours of PBL per week. The campus and surrounding community/city also look gorgeous.

Some stats I found in Princeton Review "Best 168 Medical schools."

-Avg GPA: 3.68
- Avg MCAT: P- 10.8, V-10.5, B- 11.0

Exactly how competitive is it get in and what kind of reputation does this school have?

Members don't see this ad.

Rochester is an amazing school. I applied on a whim, and though I've been waitlisted, I was thoroughly impressed by the interview. The area around it is beautiful, it has both urban and rural medical opportunities. It is 20th as a primary care school, but it also has a pretty good research background. It is known for their biopsychosocial model, and it has a reputation for making complete doctors. Its really well known. I highly recommend looking into it.

To be honest after seeing that you were waitlisted after looking at your profile i think I am going to put it out of my mind. Not to beat a dead horse but, wow i cant believe you were waitlisted there...ugh.

Goodluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, remember, a good part of the admissions process is randomness/luck/interview impressions. If you feel you are competitive (and probably being a MN resident doesn't hurt ;) ) then apply.

To be honest after seeing that you were waitlisted after looking at your profile i think I am going to put it out of my mind. Not to beat a dead horse but, wow i cant believe you were waitlisted there...ugh.

Goodluck!

i was waitlisted at rochester too, with a 41 MCAT and a 3.6 GPA. don't be discouraged by stats and anecdotes...sometimes schools would rather admit "reach" applicants than applicants they think would not be very interested in their school.

WL too with similar stats. Nice school though but COLD...it snowed the whole day I was there.

I really don't get it. Who are they accepting? If someone has a 31 and a 3.6 is it completely a waste of time to apply there?

To me it doesnt appear like they care too much about MCATs and GPA. But I am sure you all had amazing volunteer/extracurriculars as well... what gives?

I was accepted back in October with stats comparable to yours, sexyman. I think beyond stats they are looking for people who fit well with the school and truly want to attend. They have a small class, so they can really pick and choose who they want. Don't let the stats scare you away from applying; if you want to go there and love their curriculum, you should apply and let them know how interested you are.

Well, remember, a good part of the admissions process is randomness/luck/interview impressions. If you feel you are competitive (and probably being a MN resident doesn't hurt ;) ) then apply.

The school is located in NY.

Lol, was thinking university of MN, blah...and that one is in twin cities...too many rochesters! Anyways, not to be confused with the very very good school in rochester MN :D