SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

University of Rochester

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sexyman, Apr 19, 2007.

1. sexyman

sexyman 5+ Year Member

Mar 1, 2007
    I was unfamiliar with University of Rochester until recently. I really like the curriculum that consists of 14 hours of lecture and 3 hours of PBL per week. The campus and surrounding community/city also look gorgeous.

Some stats I found in Princeton Review "Best 168 Medical schools."

-Avg GPA: 3.68
    - Avg MCAT: P- 10.8, V-10.5, B- 11.0

Exactly how competitive is it get in and what kind of reputation does this school have?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gmsquid

gmsquid Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Rochester is an amazing school. I applied on a whim, and though I've been waitlisted, I was thoroughly impressed by the interview. The area around it is beautiful, it has both urban and rural medical opportunities. It is 20th as a primary care school, but it also has a pretty good research background. It is known for their biopsychosocial model, and it has a reputation for making complete doctors. Its really well known. I highly recommend looking into it.

4. sexyman

sexyman 5+ Year Member

Mar 1, 2007
    To be honest after seeing that you were waitlisted after looking at your profile i think I am going to put it out of my mind. Not to beat a dead horse but, wow i cant believe you were waitlisted there...ugh.

Goodluck!

5. SupergreenMnM

SupergreenMnM Peanut, not chocolate 2+ Year Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Well, remember, a good part of the admissions process is randomness/luck/interview impressions. If you feel you are competitive (and probably being a MN resident doesn't hurt ;) ) then apply.

6. Pagz09

Pagz09 2+ Year Member

Mar 3, 2007
    i was waitlisted at rochester too, with a 41 MCAT and a 3.6 GPA. don't be discouraged by stats and anecdotes...sometimes schools would rather admit "reach" applicants than applicants they think would not be very interested in their school.

7. Meeher

Meeher 2+ Year Member

Nov 9, 2006
    WL too with similar stats. Nice school though but COLD...it snowed the whole day I was there.

8. sexyman

sexyman 5+ Year Member

Mar 1, 2007
    I really don't get it. Who are they accepting? If someone has a 31 and a 3.6 is it completely a waste of time to apply there?

To me it doesnt appear like they care too much about MCATs and GPA. But I am sure you all had amazing volunteer/extracurriculars as well... what gives?

9. kbear12

kbear12 Wishin' and Hopin' 2+ Year Member

Oct 11, 2006
    I was accepted back in October with stats comparable to yours, sexyman. I think beyond stats they are looking for people who fit well with the school and truly want to attend. They have a small class, so they can really pick and choose who they want. Don't let the stats scare you away from applying; if you want to go there and love their curriculum, you should apply and let them know how interested you are.

10. Darksmurf

Darksmurf I'm the boy smurf 7+ Year Member

Aug 30, 2006
    The school is located in NY.

11. SupergreenMnM

SupergreenMnM Peanut, not chocolate 2+ Year Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Lol, was thinking university of MN, blah...and that one is in twin cities...too many rochesters! Anyways, not to be confused with the very very good school in rochester MN :D