presbyopia

10+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hi all, long time lurker first time poster,

I have an upcoming interview at the University of Rochester and I am having a hard time finding out alot about the program. the interview review on this forum has some nice information, but i was wondering if anyone is a resident there or a student rotating there or if anyone has any info about their experiences. The Scutwork posts are a few years old and I heard they had a recent change in leadership in the key positions. any information would be greatly appreciated

Fastrach

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Interviewed out there back in '04... for what it's worth, i'd heard decent things about it & living in Rochester, but it just seemed like it had a bad vibe when I went there, maybe it was the fact that the SICU overlooked a graveyard (makes for easy discharges!); ended up not even ranking it. That's all I got!

bigdan

SDN Donor
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2002
Ann Arbor
Status
Attending Physician
Pres -

There's a second interview review there now that seems a bit more detailed than the one that was there when you orignally posted.

I just interviewed there, and like it a bunch. Great program, and (for me) a great location. I have a friend that is now in his CA years, and he's happy as a clam.

dc

About the Ads

guitarguy09

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2004
Northeast
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, I just interviewed there and thought it was alright. The Chairman is fairly new (I think as of 6 months or so) but I think he has been a Chairman in the past (I believe at UCLA years ago). He is actually really cool and one of the things I liked most about the program. I wish I had more time to check out the actual downtown city of Rochester to see if it was for me... what can ya do?...

Colba55o

10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2005
Status
Actually the present chair has been there for 15+ years and was the chair for many of those years. From what I gather he stepped down to pursue more research and teaching and his replacement (who was there for I think 9yrs) stepped down recently. The first chair re-assumed the position.
I also interviewed there and got great vibes. If for no other reason they gave us mugs and a lil box of chocolates as parting gifts.
chocolate? c'mon...:D

guitarguy09

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2004
Northeast
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Actually the present chair has been there for 15+ years and was the chair for many of those years. From what I gather he stepped down to pursue more research and teaching and his replacement (who was there for I think 9yrs) stepped down recently. The first chair re-assumed the position.
I also interviewed there and got great vibes. If for no other reason they gave us mugs and a lil box of chocolates as parting gifts.
chocolate? c'mon...:D
I had heard some of this story while I was out there, but I appreciate the clarification... thanks! I seem to remember them saying that the current chair is contracted for 3 years or something (so there may or may not be a department chair change for the incoming resident classes). Please correct me if I'm wrong...

About the Ads