University of Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

presbyopia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker first time poster,

I have an upcoming interview at the University of Rochester and I am having a hard time finding out alot about the program. the interview review on this forum has some nice information, but i was wondering if anyone is a resident there or a student rotating there or if anyone has any info about their experiences. The Scutwork posts are a few years old and I heard they had a recent change in leadership in the key positions. any information would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed out there back in '04... for what it's worth, i'd heard decent things about it & living in Rochester, but it just seemed like it had a bad vibe when I went there, maybe it was the fact that the SICU overlooked a graveyard (makes for easy discharges!); ended up not even ranking it. That's all I got!

Pres -

There's a second interview review there now that seems a bit more detailed than the one that was there when you orignally posted.

I just interviewed there, and like it a bunch. Great program, and (for me) a great location. I have a friend that is now in his CA years, and he's happy as a clam.

dc

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I just interviewed there and thought it was alright. The Chairman is fairly new (I think as of 6 months or so) but I think he has been a Chairman in the past (I believe at UCLA years ago). He is actually really cool and one of the things I liked most about the program. I wish I had more time to check out the actual downtown city of Rochester to see if it was for me... what can ya do?...

Actually the present chair has been there for 15+ years and was the chair for many of those years. From what I gather he stepped down to pursue more research and teaching and his replacement (who was there for I think 9yrs) stepped down recently. The first chair re-assumed the position.
I also interviewed there and got great vibes. If for no other reason they gave us mugs and a lil box of chocolates as parting gifts.
chocolate? c'mon...:D

Actually the present chair has been there for 15+ years and was the chair for many of those years. From what I gather he stepped down to pursue more research and teaching and his replacement (who was there for I think 9yrs) stepped down recently. The first chair re-assumed the position.
I also interviewed there and got great vibes. If for no other reason they gave us mugs and a lil box of chocolates as parting gifts.
chocolate? c'mon...:D

I had heard some of this story while I was out there, but I appreciate the clarification... thanks! I seem to remember them saying that the current chair is contracted for 3 years or something (so there may or may not be a department chair change for the incoming resident classes). Please correct me if I'm wrong...