University of Rochester

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by presbyopia, Dec 9, 2008.

1. presbyopia

Medical Student
    Hi all, long time lurker first time poster,

I have an upcoming interview at the University of Rochester and I am having a hard time finding out alot about the program. the interview review on this forum has some nice information, but i was wondering if anyone is a resident there or a student rotating there or if anyone has any info about their experiences. The Scutwork posts are a few years old and I heard they had a recent change in leadership in the key positions. any information would be greatly appreciated

2. Fastrach

Fastrach New Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Interviewed out there back in '04... for what it's worth, i'd heard decent things about it & living in Rochester, but it just seemed like it had a bad vibe when I went there, maybe it was the fact that the SICU overlooked a graveyard (makes for easy discharges!); ended up not even ranking it. That's all I got!

3. bigdan

bigdan SDN Donor
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Pres -

There's a second interview review there now that seems a bit more detailed than the one that was there when you orignally posted.

I just interviewed there, and like it a bunch. Great program, and (for me) a great location. I have a friend that is now in his CA years, and he's happy as a clam.

dc

4. guitarguy09

guitarguy09 Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, I just interviewed there and thought it was alright. The Chairman is fairly new (I think as of 6 months or so) but I think he has been a Chairman in the past (I believe at UCLA years ago). He is actually really cool and one of the things I liked most about the program. I wish I had more time to check out the actual downtown city of Rochester to see if it was for me... what can ya do?...

5. Colba55o

Colba55o Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Actually the present chair has been there for 15+ years and was the chair for many of those years. From what I gather he stepped down to pursue more research and teaching and his replacement (who was there for I think 9yrs) stepped down recently. The first chair re-assumed the position.
    I also interviewed there and got great vibes. If for no other reason they gave us mugs and a lil box of chocolates as parting gifts.
    chocolate? c'mon...:D

6. guitarguy09

guitarguy09 Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I had heard some of this story while I was out there, but I appreciate the clarification... thanks! I seem to remember them saying that the current chair is contracted for 3 years or something (so there may or may not be a department chair change for the incoming resident classes). Please correct me if I'm wrong...