BoxerJoe

10+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So the quota on the NRMP is 8 spots and 10 spots was the expected when I interviewed at USF. What happened?

About the Ads

SolidGold

Florida winters are the best!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2002
Tampa, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I was a little hesitant to post it because I didn't want backlash from people accusing me of sabotage or some crazy crap. (Anyone who follows SDN knows it's not my #1)

I heard about it a few days ago, but since I'm not the PD himself, I can't verify it, but I trust the person I heard it from. They applied with the RRC to have 10 spots starting this year. They even were able to secure the funding for that many spots. Apparently the RRC only approved 8 spots. I don't know why though, they have the volume and the new ED will more than accommodate it (it's huge). Apparently the PD was pretty upset by the decision. If this is in fact true, it's an odd decision on the RRC's part in my opinion because, but maybe they felt going from 6 to 10 was a big leap for a newer program? It's a great program, and I don't see why it couldn't handle 12 residents at this point.

Mary Jane Watson

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2001
Betwixt and between
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Like I said, I haven't heard a reason why we got 8 intstead of 10. Especially when we were granted full accreditation for 4 years our first time out (unusual for a new program). Only speculation is offered on this thread. All I know is that we were disappointed, but not given a reason as yet. The RRC is a funny thing. We are applying again for 10 next year.

:luck: MJ

AR1776

Flying through
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I don't think solidgold was saying he knew the reason why you only got approved for 8. Rather that the reason only 8 spots were posted for the match was because you were approved for 8 and not 10 as expected. Prior to knowing this I thought maybe TGH just prematched 2 canidates and thus only had 8 left for match. See??

SolidGold

Florida winters are the best!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2002
Tampa, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Yeah, I have no idea why the RRC approved only 8 because I think the program could handle 10 residents without any problem at all. Volume is high enough, and the new ED will only make the volume get even higher once it opens in the fall.

Mary Jane Watson

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2001
Betwixt and between
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
All I'm saying is that it's a mystery to me. The RRC are a funny bunch of birds. If anyone hears anything, PM me first and I'll verify. BTW, I toured the new ED last week and it's amazing! We are really excited about all the new things happening down here! The future's so bright... you know the rest. :p

:luck: MJ

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.