University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoxerJoe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the quota on the NRMP is 8 spots and 10 spots was the expected when I interviewed at USF. What happened?

Members don't see this ad.

I just heard a reason why, check your PM box.

ooohhh, pm me too please!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey just post it for the rest of us if it's kosher

I was a little hesitant to post it because I didn't want backlash from people accusing me of sabotage or some crazy crap. (Anyone who follows SDN knows it's not my #1)

I heard about it a few days ago, but since I'm not the PD himself, I can't verify it, but I trust the person I heard it from. They applied with the RRC to have 10 spots starting this year. They even were able to secure the funding for that many spots. Apparently the RRC only approved 8 spots. I don't know why though, they have the volume and the new ED will more than accommodate it (it's huge). Apparently the PD was pretty upset by the decision. If this is in fact true, it's an odd decision on the RRC's part in my opinion because, but maybe they felt going from 6 to 10 was a big leap for a newer program? It's a great program, and I don't see why it couldn't handle 12 residents at this point.

I'm glad you guys know, 'cause I haven't heard anything yet...

Blazing Saddles references always make my day.

Wrong reference. It was actually a reference to Bugs Bunny and the one when the "Crime Boss" is splitting the "loot" with the crew.

Like I said, I haven't heard a reason why we got 8 intstead of 10. Especially when we were granted full accreditation for 4 years our first time out (unusual for a new program). Only speculation is offered on this thread. All I know is that we were disappointed, but not given a reason as yet. The RRC is a funny thing. We are applying again for 10 next year.

:luck: MJ

I don't think solidgold was saying he knew the reason why you only got approved for 8. Rather that the reason only 8 spots were posted for the match was because you were approved for 8 and not 10 as expected. Prior to knowing this I thought maybe TGH just prematched 2 canidates and thus only had 8 left for match. See??

Yeah, I have no idea why the RRC approved only 8 because I think the program could handle 10 residents without any problem at all. Volume is high enough, and the new ED will only make the volume get even higher once it opens in the fall.

All I'm saying is that it's a mystery to me. The RRC are a funny bunch of birds. If anyone hears anything, PM me first and I'll verify. BTW, I toured the new ED last week and it's amazing! We are really excited about all the new things happening down here! The future's so bright... you know the rest. :p

:luck: MJ