Why have Florida deaths dropped so dramatically?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought it was governor
Her Wikipedia page says Congress, in the first district, although her campaign seems to have cooled (not that it was ever hot).

Members don't see this ad.

Watching the college football games, no masks, and life back to normal. Even the main stream media had no masks on.

Watching the college football games, no masks, and life back to normal. Even the main stream media had no masks on.

Who'd have thunk?

Deadlier, more contagious virus variant.
None of the crazypants lockdowns, gaslighting, and virtue-signaling ?!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Who'd have think?

Deadlier, more contagious virus variant.
None of the crazypants lockdowns, gaslighting, and virtue-signaling ?!
Maybe we will "learn to live with the virus" instead of panicking and restricting freedoms, as I suggested a year ago. The UK is considering another lockdown next month despite nearing 90% of the population with at least one dose of vaccine. Australia is a warning to us all.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe we will "learn to live with the virus" instead of panicking and restricting freedoms, as I suggested a year ago. The UK is considering another lockdown next month despite nearing 90% of the population with at least one dose of vaccine. Australia is a warning to us all.
Australia’s measures flattened the curve alright. Their curve is flat as hell, just on the wrong axis.

564E7AEB-B2B1-4AB8-94EB-C89AD047BAC9.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Australia done thought they could half-ass the lockdown in NSW with delta. They grossly miscalculated. If you followed their "lockdown" at all over the past two months, it was a shambolic failure with few restrictions and failed compliance. The other Australian states with COVID outbreaks basically inherited the leakage from NSW. QLD, NT, SA, WA, and TAS are still essentially COVID free.

Reactions: 1 user
Australia done thought they could half-ass the lockdown in NSW with delta. They grossly miscalculated. If you followed their "lockdown" at all over the past two months, it was a shambolic failure with few restrictions and failed compliance. The other Australian states with COVID outbreaks basically inherited the leakage from NSW. QLD, NT, SA, WA, and TAS are still essentially COVID free.

So you would have been stricter with lockdown? Deploying the military to enforce lockdown orders in certain neighborhoods wasn't aggressive enough? Even then what would be the point? We know from Israel that even having all your population vaccinated likely won't curb the spread.

So you would have been stricter with lockdown? Deploying the military to enforce lockdown orders in certain neighborhoods wasn't aggressive enough? Even then what would be the point? We know from Israel that even having all your population vaccinated likely won't curb the spread.
By the time stringent measures were attempted, there were already 100s of untraceable cases each day. The opportunity was missed.

Lockdowns work when the population complies. It seems to have worked in Queensland, South Australia, etc. Look at Auckland – they found hundreds of circulating cases, but compliance with very strict procedures has reduced spread to close contacts of known cases and just a handful of surprise cases a day. Elimination will probably be attained again – and meanwhile, the other 3M folks in NZ get on with safe, mostly normal lives.

I think the monoclonal antibody clinics are a good idea here.

By the time stringent measures were attempted, there were already 100s of untraceable cases each day. The opportunity was missed.

Lockdowns work when the population complies. It seems to have worked in Queensland, South Australia, etc. Look at Auckland – they found hundreds of circulating cases, but compliance with very strict procedures has reduced spread to close contacts of known cases and just a handful of surprise cases a day. Elimination will probably be attained again – and meanwhile, the other 3M folks in NZ get on with safe, mostly normal lives.
The issue is that in the US, there will never be enough compliance to make lockdowns worth it. The downsides will always be there, and there won’t be a high enough compliance rate for us to see any long term benefit.

Very few people want to live that way, permanently.
It'd be one thing if they said 'we're locking down until we have enough people vaccinated', but I don't understand what their end game is.

Members don't see this ad :)
It'd be one thing if they said 'we're locking down until we have enough people vaccinated', but I don't understand what their end game is.
Exactly. Even if NZ gets 100% people "fully vaxxed" it obviously won't significant curb transmission of the virus and they will have a massive spike in the virus which could overwhelm their hospitals just like Israel. I think the politicians don't have an end-game so are flailing, and it's a case of "Do something......ANYTHING!"

Even if NZ gets 100% people "fully vaxxed" it obviously won't significant curb transmission of the virus and they will have a massive spike in the virus which could overwhelm their hospitals just like Israel.

Whoa hey now, I don't think we know this for sure. Yes, I'm aware of the data coming out of Israel, but has not been the case universally in other countries with high vaccination rates.

Iceland had a high vaccination rate, but their hospitals did not get overwhelmed. Canada is in the same boat now. Rising infections sure, but not overwhelmed hospitals.

Whoa hey now, I don't think we know this for sure. Yes, I'm aware of the data coming out of Israel, but has not been the case universally in other countries with high vaccination rates.

Iceland had a high vaccination rate, but their hospitals did not get overwhelmed. Canada is in the same boat now. Rising infections sure, but not overwhelmed hospitals.
Why do we think that breakthroughs in the virus in Israel despite high percentage of vaccinations won't apply to other countries? My point is that using vaccination as an end-point to stop lockdowns is likely futile and unnecessary.

Why do we think that breakthroughs in the virus in Israel despite high percentage of vaccinations won't apply to other countries?
Because that’s not what’s happening in other countries? In fact, the opposite is, so we can’t say that strategy is futile…

Reactions: 2 users
Why do we think that breakthroughs in the virus in Israel despite high percentage of vaccinations won't apply to other countries? My point is that using vaccination as an end-point to stop lockdowns is likely futile and unnecessary.
Israel has also found that a booster significantly reduces hospitalizations/cases in general. Vaccination works well just not for as long as was hoped, though about the same duration as the flu vaccine so we shouldn't be surprised.

Israel has also found that a booster significantly reduces hospitalizations/cases in general. Vaccination works well just not for as long as was hoped, though about the same duration as the flu vaccine so we shouldn't be surprised.
I don't disagree with that point. A lot of countries still seem to think they are going to prevent widespread infection. Vaccines or not, that doesn't seem realistic.

I don't disagree with that point. A lot of countries still seem to think they are going to prevent widespread infection. Vaccines or not, that doesn't seem realistic.
I'd say some countries can. NZ had like 5 months with no cases and a pretty much open country (closed borders but open within the country). The vast majority can't.

The rest of us need this to be like the flu - vaccinated can catch it but pretty mild, hopefully soon the number of unvaccinated/un-previously infected will be low enough to not utterly swamp the hospitals.

Restrictions on travel from very high risk countries​

Only New Zealand citizens and their immediate family may travel here from very high risk countries.
Travel to New Zealand remains strictly controlled to reduce the risk from COVID-19. Countries that are currently classified as very high risk include:
  • Brazil,
  • Fiji,
  • India,
  • Indonesia,
  • Pakistan, and
  • Papua New Guinea
Travellers eligible for entry from these countries include New Zealand citizens, their partners, dependent children, the parent of a dependent child who is a New Zealand citizen, and those with significant humanitarian reasons. All non-New Zealand citizens must hold a valid visa to enter New Zealand
Travellers must have both your COVID-19 test sample taken and your result returned within 72 hours of your scheduled departure time.
Pre-departure tests to enter New Zealand | COVID19.govt.nz
Other travellers, including New Zealand residents, can enter only if they spend 14 days outside a very high risk country before their arrival here. Transit through a very high risk country is excluded from the 14-day requirement.
Managed isolation and quarantine | MIQ.govt.nz
Restrictions on travel to New Zealand from very high risk countries | COVID19.govt.nz
Information for Information for Refugees, asylum seekers and their families e.g. refugees
Find a visa factsheet
NEW ZEALAND VISAS
EMPLOY MIGRANTS
ASSIST MIGRANTS AND STUDENTS
ABOUT US
CONTACT US
Ministry of Business, Innovation, & Employment
New Zealand Government
© 2021 IMMIGRATION NEW ZEALAND

Exactly. Even if NZ gets 100% people "fully vaxxed" it obviously won't significant curb transmission of the virus and they will have a massive spike in the virus which could overwhelm their hospitals just like Israel. I think the politicians don't have an end-game so are flailing, and it's a case of "Do something......ANYTHING!"
When something sOUnDs cRAzY, it probably means there's more to the story.

NZ is obviously not going full fortress + repeated lockdowns + never COVID.

They have decided, since the opportunity presented itself, to maintain elimination until they can get the maximum population vaccinated as possible, followed by as flat a curve of COVID cases as reasonably feasible to spare the health system. The goal is to have one COVID wave with a low hospitalization peak across 2022 and then COVID will be endemic, like influenza.

For all the hot press Israel gets as a "vaccinated" country, they actually aren't. They were the earliest to get vaccines deployed, but they levelled off.

Better models for where NZ is headed are Denmark and Iceland.

Reactions: 5 users

I would seriously die....in less than 48 hours. Alcoholism is the only thing that got me through our limited lockdown with even a shred of sanity......

To summarize: The government is literally going through people's home-deliveries to make sure they aren't getting too much alcohol. Any excess is "confiscated".

It may or may not be depending on a variety of factors. Israel data suggests a third dose gets you back to 95% effective at reducing infections. Will that last or just be a blip after getting the shot? Don’t know yet. Likewise Delta came and blew previous projections/plans to hell. Will their be a similarly infectious strain that evades immunity/vaccines in the future or is Delta it? Also unknown.

the short answer is the NZ plan of limiting entry until the populace is vaccinated will at worst lead to very few deaths, and at best lead to very few infections.

Australia is another story. It is unclear if widespread lockdowns will stop an already raging delta; which is just so damn infectious. I’d guess not; and it’s gonna be quite the reckoning in that country.