University of Sydney 2017 MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

36MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Was anyone here interviewed for the 2016 class given admission into the 2017 class? I'm checking to see if you've received any correspondence from USyd and were you given certain deadlines to meet? Also, anyone know of bursaries/scholarships available to Canadian students hoping to study overseas? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Got my offer details about three weeks ago in an email. Need to respond by end of this week + pay deposit to secure a spot for 2017.

Got my offer details about three weeks ago in an email. Need to respond by end of this week + pay deposit to secure a spot for 2017.
Yeah. March 14 and $9k AUD?

Members don't see this ad :)
Great! Best of luck!

I've also decided to commit to the 2017 class, coming from the States. Anyone looking for housing / thinking of it yet?

I haven't really looked, maybe I'll get more serious on it in the summer.

Hey everyone! I'm thinking of applying to Sydney for the next application cycle. Do you mind sharing your stats? My MCAT is 508. What are my chances?

Regards,
Timothy

Hey everyone! I'm thinking of applying to Sydney for the next application cycle. Do you mind sharing your stats? My MCAT is 508. What are my chances?

Regards,
Timothy

I'm going in 2017 as well. When I applied, they said that you had a good chance with a 500+ MCAT and 3.3+ GPA; however, I believe the universities are changing some admission requirements right now (according to OZTREKK)... hard to say if it will fluctuate a lot. From my experience, if you met Sydney's minimum requirements you got an interview.

I'm going in 2017 too, from Singapore. I would say the interview is the deal breaker. MCAT and GPA scores only determine if you get an interview. Just be yourself and don't panic! Skype interviews are more forgiving than face to face interviews.

The application opening is in May 2016. I am wondering why you guys could have interviewed already and got offer?

Members don't see this ad :)
These guys were interviewed for last years admissions, but they over-interviewed (correct me if I'm wrong) so they extended offers to them for this year's cycle.

Also, meatball, are you applying this cycle?

Yes, I am applying this cycle. Will be taking the 6 May MCAT. How about you?

And for those who got offers, congratulation!! Would you mind sharing your MCAT score? I am expecting to get 508-510, not sure if it is solid enough?

Yeah, I've pulled the trigger on Ausi school applications after two unsuccessful Canadian cycles, and 1 unsuccessful US one. I wrote the MCAT in 2014 Aug and have a 32, so hopefully this will be enough for acceptance here. I wish you the best on May 6th... ace it! If you do well on the test will you re-consider US/Can? I don't know your specific situation so I apologize for my assumptions.

I am actually from Hong Kong, probably won't apply US/Can because my GPA is pretty poor only slightly higher than 3. (GPA 3 is considered pretty good here already haha).

Which aus universities are you applying btw? I am applying to griffth, flinder, sydney and queensland.

Yeah, the GPA system is so different between schools its such a bad indicator of a good student. I guess in your case, if you do really well on the MCAT, since it's standardized, you may be able to appeal to certain schools -if they allow for such things. ( But I guess that depends on whether you'll apply for US schools even). I've applied to the four you mentioned, plus Monash, and Deakin.-- I just went through ISA which some schools will waive their app fee for, so whatever interview I get for schools I'm not interested in I'll take them for what it's worth and use them as practice at the least. For me, price will be a factor in my decision. so I'm gravitating towards Griffiths. I've seen a lot of negative things on SDN about SA (Flinders) in terms of recent international grads having trouble getting internship, so if I interview there I'll probably ask a few questions regarding this. My top choices so far I think are Griffith, Queensland, and Sydney. Do you have any preferences?

What's ISA btw?

I prefer sydney and griffith :)

Have you had any interview already with any universities that have opened for application?

ISA is similar to ozztrekk, and other similar companies in that they're an organization that offers streamline application advice, and direct application for multiple universities overseas. So instead of applying directly to each program, you send your info to one of these companies, and then select the different schools you want to apply to. It keeps the entire application more simple, and many universities waive the application fees if you apply through ISA (I don't know about the other companies though). -- The universities fund them so its free for us to apply through them... here's the link

http://studiesabroad.com/

and I just applied recently to these schools so I haven't received any notifications yet.

I see! Thanks for the intel :)

I am wondering if non-US citizen is allowed to use their services? It would be a lot simpler if there is an agent to help through the application process!

Yeah no problem. I know what you mean, I had no idea these things existed when I began looking into Ausi schools. Shoot them an email, they're really quick to respond. and see if they can help, or at least re-direct you to a company that deals with non-north Americans. But worst case scenario is, you have a compiled website with info on many of the schools. So I guess use it for what it is.

I emailed universities to ask and turned out there are some agencies in Hong Kong as well! Gonna visit an agent after my MCAT :). Wish you all the best for the coming interviews!!!

Can the people who have been accepted chime in on the interviewing process? Is it all skype based for international students or do representatives come to Canada and US? How is the general process, how many minutes and how many people (MMI style)?

Thank you for all the help in advance

Skype based only for international students.

I'm pretty sure it was 5 stations, 7 mins each.

Hi everyone, i've sent in my online application but i have some questions. saw this on the Sydney med website: Supporting documents from applicants must be received by the University Admissions Office.

What do these 'supporting documents' comprise of? My transcripts and certificates etc? And also, what's the address to post to? I have emailed the school a few days back (with no reply so far) and read through the Admissions Guide but found no information on this.

Not yet. Although I did receive an email about participating in the SJT.

Not yet. Although I did receive an email about participating in the SJT.
Same, the website said interview offer will be released in mid July, I am just wondering when it will be released, considering the interview start on 1 Aug.

Canadian here. Rec'd an II 19/07/16 EST. MCAT 513 / cGPA 83. Interviewing on Tues. Aug. 2 in AM Sydney time = Mon. Aug. 1 in late PM.

Curious to see how this goes as I'm excited for U Syd!

I have read the briefing notes attached in the email. However, the skype interface of my computer doesn't look like the one featured in the feature notes and I couldn't find the button of "Pop-out". Anyone is experiencing the same?

Received an interview as well. wGPA 3.9 or so, MCAT 516

Interview for Aug. 2nd, does anyone want to do a mock MMI for Sydney?

Oi! I wish you all the best in your applications. Thought I'd just shoot out an introduction as I was in the exact same position as many of you last year.

I'm a Canadian Student, applied and received first round offers for both the MD and DMD program here at the University of Sydney. I accepted my offer to the DMD program (my first choice) and am currently half way through my first year at the University of Sydney in Australia. My application was faciliatated by Oztrekk

If you have any questions about grades/standards, Interviewing, Preparation, when to expect acceptances/letters etc-- or anything for the post-acceptance process shoot me a PM or ask me here if you'd like. I'll try to help as much as I can between studies.

Cheers,

Wyatt

Anyone know when we can expect 1st round offers to be released?

Hi Wyatt,

I was wondering how you went about finding housing and was looking for a couple recommendations about neighborhoods that are suitable to live in? I've never been to the area and I probably won't be there until January and I'd love to do some research on housing before I get there. Thanks!

Oi! I wish you all the best in your applications. Thought I'd just shoot out an introduction as I was in the exact same position as many of you last year.

I'm a Canadian Student, applied and received first round offers for both the MD and DMD program here at the University of Sydney. I accepted my offer to the DMD program (my first choice) and am currently half way through my first year at the University of Sydney in Australia. My application was faciliatated by Oztrekk

If you have any questions about grades/standards, Interviewing, Preparation, when to expect acceptances/letters etc-- or anything for the post-acceptance process shoot me a PM or ask me here if you'd like. I'll try to help as much as I can between studies.

Cheers,

Wyatt

Just checking in here to see if anyone that's interviewed has received any offers yet?

Just checking in here to see if anyone that's interviewed has received any offers yet?
Nope not yet. The website says late August but looking at last year's forum it seems like it does get delayed quite a bit.

EDIT: I just got an email from them so the offers are out!

Last edited:
Just got an offer! Good luck to everyone :)

Would anyone be interested in joining a Facebook group: University of Sydney Doctor of Medicine class of 2020? I am thinking of making one!

Last edited:

Would anyone be interested in joining a Facebook group: University of Sydney Doctor of Medicine class of 2020? I am thinking of making one!
Nope not yet. The website says late August but looking at last year's forum it seems like it does get delayed quite a bit.

EDIT: I just got an email from them so the offers are out!

Congrats to the both of you. The PD USyd thread seemed a bit silent... but is there any chance you wouldn't mind sharing some stats to a prospective applicant for next cycle?

Hey All!

Rec'd an offer this morning myself. It was a pleasant surprise to wake up to on this hump day! I'm all about networking too. Is there anyone here from the GTA? I know that OzTREKK will be hosting a departure seminar in order to help us navigate the transition to Australia. But I'm totally down for more networking!

Also thought I'd leave this video here. I think it's helpful for any fellow Canadians looking to understand the CaRMS match process as an Australian trained IMG. The seminar was hosted at U Syd so I figured it was topical for this thread.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratz to everyone for their offers!!
Does anyone know if offers for the DMD program have been sent out yet?
I have not received any emails from the school yet.

Congratz to everyone for their offers!!
Does anyone know if offers for the DMD program have been sent out yet?
I have not received any emails from the school yet.

This 100% means you weren't a first round selection. First round offers were all sent out this week.

This 100% means you weren't a first round selection. First round offers were all sent out this week.
thanks for your reply.
So what should i do in this case? If i have not heard anything from them am I rejected? Or just waitlisted?
And what are the chances of getting accepted in 2nd round offers?

Veenu - class of 2021! We don't start until 2017 :happy: