University of Tennesse That got accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meandragonbrett

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw where one guy got accepted to the University of Tennessee. Was that for UT-Memphis? Or Knox? E-mail me and let me know please.

[email protected]

brett

Members don't see this ad.

It must be Memphis considering the fact the UT-Knox. doesn't have a medical school.

Yup UTK doesn't have a med school ( I would hope not, since I attend UTK =P ). UT Martin is the one with the med school I believe.

Btw, I would like to know if anyone can tell me if UTK's reputation might hurt me when I apply to Med schools. (I heard we're the #1 party school or whatever on some sorta national reputable survey... kinda depresses me). However, I am a computer science/math major so I have pretty tough courses and pitted against very apt students.

I know its possible to get into medical schools no matter what place I attend, but I specifically want to get into UCSF (I fell in love with this school)=P (I know its a long shot, considering I'm out of state AND not in a ivy bah!) But if any of you experienced senior pre-meds could consider these factors and tell me what GPA/MCAT I'd probably need to be very competetive for UCSF I'd be very appreciative.

Oh one more thing, I dont have many "extracurriculars" besides working and studying, well really I only have one extracurricular. Its tutoring other students (i'm a math tutor for our math center here) and I really really love doing it, in fact I plan on tutoring in Chemistry as well next year. I have no other extracurriculars (clubs/sports etc.). I'm worried since this is really my only extracurricular (since I devote a lot of time to it), would admissions boards kinda look down on it? I am thinking that since tutoring is academically related (almost another form of studying) it may show that I'm too much academic oriented and have no other interests (I heard they want more than just "academics" from students).

-Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a UT grad and current first-year med student who interviewed at a number of medical schools across the country. I had a 34R MCAT and 3.6 undergrad, 4.0 graduate GPA. I ended up getting several acceptances, including one top-25 school, which I turned down to come to ETSU. Most of my fellow interviewees at the bigger-name schools were either from Ivy-type schools, exclusive small private colleges, or at least very well-known public schools (Chapel Hill, Michigan, etc.) The Big Orange, unfortunately, doesn't fall in any of the above categories. Still, the MCAT is the great equalizer - if your undergrad grades and MCAT scores are high, you shouldn't find UT's lack of national recognition to be a major barrier.
I'd be more concerned about your lack of extra-curriculars- this is HUGE at most med schools. Tutoring is fine, but probably not enough for most schools- at the very least, you absolutely need some hands-on health care experience. If I were you, I'd get started volunteering or working somewhere ASAP. Also, most schools like to see students involved in other activities, e.g., community service or leadership positions or intramural sports or whatever- they want their students to be well-rounded rather than "science nerds". If you think you are really weak in this regard, you might consider taking an extra year before you apply.
As for getting into a UC school, it's very difficult to get in even as a CA resident with stellar stats, much less out-of-state. Still, they take a handful each year, so you never know. Since it's your dream school, go ahead and give it a shot. Good luck!
BTW UT's med school is in Memphis.

Thanks for your advice kd! If I may ask 1 more thing:

I've actually been pondering my situation with extracurriculars for awhile. I've narrowed it down to these extracurrics, unfortuantely, due to my really really heavy courseload + job + tutoring, I can only fit one community service and one extracurricular activity:

1. volunteering at Ronald McDonald House during semester, and (shadowing/volunteering at hospital during summer vacations)

2. above, but switched

-- I like number 1 because Ronald McDonald House is not something you do a haphazard job at, well atleast thats what I gathered in their description. The place sounds like a rewarding experience + will show me if I can feel compassion enough to help total strangers (which I think will be more of a determining factor in my medical career dedication than simply watching what doctor does)

as for my personal "I'm not such a robot but probably a geek" activity (even tho that statement is true) : Joining a computer gaming club and hopefully get a leadership role =P Honestly, I'm a very very dull person (been raised to study all my life) so I'm not interested in much else besides games + school

Once again, your comments and advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Tob