University of Tennessee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalDevil

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey - anyone out there applying to University of Tennessee?

I haven't sent my application yet because I haven't gotten around to the paper (no AADSAS - just pdf!) application yet. I don't think I've seen anyone on here talking about Tennessee. It may not be that popular of a school, but from it's stats I think I might have a chance there.

Does anyone know about the admissions there? Is it too late to apply now?

Also, does anybody know the details about this "verification of volunteer service" form? Do I need to track down every Dentist I ever shadowed and get them to fill this out. Do they want non-dental volunteering too?

This is quite a hassle - I never knew I'd long for AADSAS like this!:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

UT Memphis is a school that favors Tennessee residents for admission. They select 8 out of state students, so the chances are much smaller to be admitted to UT if you're out of state than in state. I applied there, mainly because I have gotten to speak with the associate dean of admissions (Dr. Wisdom Coleman) multiple times and am really impressed by him. My undergrad school is also in Tennessee, about an hour and a half away from the UTHSC, but I'm a Kentucky resident.

I would still apply to UT if I were you. I wouldn't think it would be too late to send an application to them. On my application, I sent the verification of volunteer service to the dentists I have shadowed.

If you have any questions, I would call Dr. Coleman. He'll help you out in any way he can.

on predents it says 28 out of staters.... i might look into this place. Any other opinions?

Members don't see this ad :)
on predents it says 28 out of staters.... i might look into this place. Any other opinions?

PM Dr.Dai Phan...he taught there and should be able to tell you anything you want to know. I think toofache might have gone there as well.

Thanks for the input.

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow to ask about the volunteer stuff - there are a few dentists I just shadowed one day to have a look at different specialties, I'd probably have to remind them of who I am, let alone my "performance."

In the ADEA "Official Guide to Dental Schools" (same source as on pre-dents), it says they accepted 52 in state and 28 out of staters last year. I'm hoping that's right - I'm a North Carolina resident.

Their mean DAT is listed as a 18/17, so with my 21/21, I feel I have an ok chance out of state...

Last edited:
18 of those spots are reserved for residents of alabama, according to Dr. Coleman, since alabama doesn't have it's own dental school. The few spots for out of staters will probabaly be very competitive.

Alabama does have it's own dental school --> www.dental.uab.edu

18 of those spots are reserved for residents of alabama, according to Dr. Coleman, since alabama doesn't have it's own dental school. The few spots for out of staters will probabaly be very competitive.

I believe UT's deal is with Arkansas.

Last edited: