University of Texas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If there is an issue with a prereq, they would let us know prior the interview right?

No, they said they review our prereqs AFTER acceptance. Apparently I still had Microbio and English Comp to finish up, but that's what I'm resolving with Dr. Wilcox, that I did complete them. once you get in they will let you know what classes they need. my registration date was coming up so i asked ahead of time in the case i was accepted

Members don't see this ad.

No, they said they review our prereqs AFTER acceptance. Apparently I still had Microbio and English Comp to finish up, but that's what I'm resolving with Dr. Wilcox, that I did complete them. once you get in they will let you know what classes they need. my registration date was coming up so i asked ahead of time in the case i was accepted

What if you have like too many prereqs missing? Do the pre reqs have a time limit?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes...you have to complete them before the start of the fall semester

No what i meant i took some courses back in 2003. Some schools have a 5 or 7 year policy that they expire. I dont recall that on UT's website....

Is it safe to assume that the orientation session that takes place 6/30-7/1 is going to be mandatory? Any information would be helpful.

No what i meant i took some courses back in 2003. Some schools have a 5 or 7 year policy that they expire. I dont recall that on UT's website....

ooo I have no idea about that one. it'd probably be best to ask Dr. Wilcox or Ms. Spencer

UT doesn't have a time frame for pre-reqs (all of mine are well over 7 years ago).

Is it safe to assume that the orientation session that takes place 6/30-7/1 is going to be mandatory? Any information would be helpful.

I think that is only for new undergraduate students. Did you see that on you status page? Current UT students don't have that message. Pharmacy students have a separate orientation in August.

UT doesn't have a time frame for pre-reqs (all of mine are well over 7 years ago).

Thanks man! Thats what I thought. One thing I do not understand that how come the evaluation is done after acceptance? Lets say one gets accepted during summer off the waitlist. In that case the applicant would not be able to finish the required the prereq(s) right?

Yea the orientation should be in August.

I think that is only for new undergraduate students. Did you see that on you status page? Current UT students don't have that message. Pharmacy students have a separate orientation in August.

Well that's exactly it. The date I listed was for health majors (CAP). The other dates are for the other majors. Maybe we'll hear more later.

I'm pretty sure they review pre-reqs before acceptances (and probably interviews, since those grades would factor more heavily)...and from my acceptance e-mail from Ann Spencer "Your acceptance letter will list any prerequisite courses you may be missing."

On a side note, acceptances of offers were not snail mail replies, but e-mail (and seat deposit payment), at least for my round.

Thanks man, thats gives us a good idea about the schedule. This may sound a little stupid but do you know what books you guys used for PChem and A&P? I wanna get them in advance and look over the summer just to gear up :D . Do the professors have class syllabus up on their webpages?

Also, anybody know if any seats opened up?:D

Most of your P1 classes are at night from 7-9 PM. I know this seems like it sucks, but sometimes it is nice, because that day you can actually get some sleep, wake up, and keep studying or cramming, whichever you prefer.

P2 and P3 tests are generally in the mornings (with a few exceptions). our biggest class, Pharmacotherapy, will be on one particular morning, i.e. Thursday or Wed at 8 AM. This is nice at times because you know exactly what day of the week it is, and if you're like me, 8 AM fits into the all-nighter mode. Walk right into the test, take it, then go home and crash.

I honestly wouldn't worry about the PChem book. In fact, I don't even know if there is one. :idea: Shows you how important some book are. More than likely, for that class, the notes you take in class are what you need for the course. You may not believe me now, but trust me. For that class, if you knew the notes that are provided inside and out, you can make an A. A&P, really, a good physiology book will do just fine if you wanna do some prep work in the summer. Just save buying it till you know exactly what book you need. When we took it, I ended up using a version of the book that was a couple of editions older and it worked fine.

Oh, and yes, P1 fall Fridays are complete misery. Just get used to it now. It will make you a stronger person, or something like that.

But no really, with that Friday, no more Thursday $1 beer night for you lol. Unless you're like me and don't go to class and leave it to streaming later.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure if this applies for everyone, but for UT students, does the college of pharmacy register us for our courses? I know registration is coming up pretty soon and I was wondering if we have to do anything for that.

Once again, congrats to all those who got in and good luck to everyone else who is still waiting. I can't wait to meet all of you!

You will be registered for all your classes for the Fall of your P1 year. There is no way you would know what to register for or how to register for it. From then on, they give you all the course numbers you will need to register on your own from that time on. For example, during the middle of the fall, they will meet with you as a class and hand out your schedule for the spring with all the course numbers, as well as all the randomly assigned lab sections and course numbers. Then you will go onto the UT registration website the same day it opens for the rest of the University to register those classes. This will be the same during the spring for the next fall semester, and so on.

Gone (for the most part) of the days of waking up at 7 or 8 AM on registration day and frantically refreshing the page and cursing out the entire University because you didn't get into the section you wanted. I say for the most part, because some electives and or lab sections later on in the curriculum may be limited seating for the class or day you want. But don't worry about that right now.

If there is an issue with a prereq, they would let us know prior the interview right?

Not necessarily. If I remember correctly, I had already been accepted when I found out there was an issue with me not having Calculus 2. I thought I would have to scramble to get it done in the summer before P1 fall but was able to prove my Cal 1 class was sufficient to meet the requirement. They were the ones that contacted me about it though still.

Yea, I don't think this orientation is mandatory. I never went to anything that early before school started. I moved to Austin and went to the orientation that is for Pharmacy. If you have a concern it might be for you, then e-mail Dr. Wilcox.

and I hope all of you are beginning to look, or at least think about looking for housing now. Don't think you're going to pack up your car and move to Austin and find a place in West Campus in August.

and I hope all of you are beginning to look, or at least think about looking for housing now. Don't think you're going to pack up your car and move to Austin and find a place in West Campus in August.

Issue is i'm on the waitlist so I don't want to get housing in the case I don't even get in... on the other hand should I start planning ahead just in case??

We already live in Georgetown but my girlfriend and I are looking for an apartment that is much closer to campus. I found the site www.utstudent.com which maps apartments on the UT shuttle route. (It's pretty awesome if it's accurate!)

My question is for anyone who has used the shuttle or lives somewhere on the route. Is it more worth it to find a place on the route rather than deal with traffic and parking in and around campus? Is it practical (as in EVERY day dealing with the shuttle)? Are only students allowed on the buses?

Any insight would be very helpful :) I'm hoping to get something signed for July or August. Thanks :thumbup:

Last edited:
Hey all, and congratulations to all that will be joining us next year.

I am a P3 student about to embark on my rotations in Houston so I am trying to sublease my apartment after I finish up in May. It is in West Campus and a very short walk to the pharmacy building. I can have it ready as early as May 19th and can have it available through July 31st. If you want to move to Austin earlier and live it up before classes begin, this would be a really great way to do so since there’s a lot to do here. It has all the amenities like a student lounge, study room, fitness center, and poolside view.

I am willing to negotiate prices so if you are interested just shoot me a message and I can give you more details!

Again, congrats! :).

We already live in Georgetown but my girlfriend and I are looking for an apartment that is much closer to campus. I found the site www.utstudent.com which maps apartments on the UT shuttle route. (It's pretty awesome if it's accurate!)

My question is for anyone who has used the shuttle or lives somewhere on the route. Is it more worth it to find a place on the route rather than deal with traffic and parking in and around campus? Is it practical (as in EVERY day dealing with the shuttle)? Are only students allowed on the buses?

Any insight would be very helpful :) I'm hoping to get something signed for July or August. Thanks :thumbup:

I've been going to UT for 5 years and usually I go with a realtor to find a place to live at. They never charge any fees because it is the apartment complex you sign with that compensates the realtor.

As for using the shuttle, it is free for everyone but it's usually students, alumni, or prospective students riding them. I think it's a great idea to ride the shuttles because they run every day except Saturday and saves you the mess of finding parking around campus. If you are going to ride the shuttles to campus and not get an apartment in West Campus, you may want to invest in a parking permit that allows you to park at night (after 5:45pm). Since you will be taking plenty of night exams your P1 year, it will definitely be worth it to just drive down for your test since the bus runs less frequently in the evening.

I've been going to UT for 5 years and usually I go with a realtor to find a place to live at. They never charge any fees because it is the apartment complex you sign with that compensates the realtor.

As for using the shuttle, it is free for everyone but it's usually students, alumni, or prospective students riding them. I think it's a great idea to ride the shuttles because they run every day except Saturday and saves you the mess of finding parking around campus. If you are going to ride the shuttles to campus and not get an apartment in West Campus, you may want to invest in a parking permit that allows you to park at night (after 5:45pm). Since you will be taking plenty of night exams your P1 year, it will definitely be worth it to just drive down for your test since the bus runs less frequently in the evening.

Thanks fite! We actually are using a realtor but I'm taking it upon myself to find even more properties online as well. Mostly because I don't work weekends and I actually have time to sit, relax and sort through this stuff :). I can't wait to get this done with, move and settle in before classes start.

any movement on the waitlist? did anyone hear back yet?

did anyone get an email about the "acceptance packet" we are supposed to receive in early april?

Just got email from Ms Spencer, no movement yet :([/QUOTE]

Got that email as well. Since the accepted students had to respond by last Monday does this mean no one declined the admission offer?

Just got email from Ms Spencer, no movement yet :(

Got that email as well. Since the accepted students had to respond by last Monday does this mean no one declined the admission offer?[/QUOTE]

Was it last Monday or Apr 1st?.....I hope people will soon start to think about housing and stuff and will reconsider their decision.

Just got email from Ms Spencer, no movement yet :(

Got that email as well. Since the accepted students had to respond by last Monday does this mean no one declined the admission offer?[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking that the people who got accepted into multiple schools are hanging on to their spots at UT until they decide where they want to go (which could take a month or so to figure out cost of living, housing, transport, money, etc.)

I'm sure there will be some movement around end of April or in May sometime. Just a thought... :)

Got that email as well. Since the accepted students had to respond by last Monday does this mean no one declined the admission offer?

I'm thinking that the people who got accepted into multiple schools are hanging on to their spots at UT until they decide where they want to go (which could take a month or so to figure out cost of living, housing, transport, money, etc.)

I'm sure there will be some movement around end of April or in May sometime. Just a thought... :)[/QUOTE]

I agree. I'm actually doing the same thing with another school until I get into UT. Open up a spot people so that others may get in on other waitlists as well!!! =P

email from ms. spencer:

"We do ask for a commitment from the accepted students within 2 weeks of being accepted. However, many do withdraw from the program at the end of the spring semester and throughout the summer. Dr. Wilcox usually closes the waiting list in mid-late July.

I really can't give you an estimate of how many people will be accepted from the waiting list, because it varies greatly. The past few years 15-20 people were accepted from the waiting list. Several years before that, only 3 people were accepted from the waiting list. My best guess (and it is only a guess) is that at least 10 people will be accepted from the waiting list by mid-July."

email from ms. spencer:

"We do ask for a commitment from the accepted students within 2 weeks of being accepted. However, many do withdraw from the program at the end of the spring semester and throughout the summer. Dr. Wilcox usually closes the waiting list in mid-late July.

I really can't give you an estimate of how many people will be accepted from the waiting list, because it varies greatly. The past few years 15-20 people were accepted from the waiting list. Several years before that, only 3 people were accepted from the waiting list. My best guess (and it is only a guess) is that at least 10 people will be accepted from the waiting list by mid-July."

http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/admissions/ad_stats00.html
http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/admissions/ad_stats01.html
http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/admissions/ad_stats02.html
http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/admissions/ad_stats03.html
http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/admissions/ad_stats04.html
http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/admissions/ad_stats05.html
http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/admissions/ad_stats06.html
http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/admissions/ad_stats07.html
http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/admissions/ad_stats08.html

It just varies I guess. Lets not loose hope as its only been 2 weeks.

Second note: I thought anyone could be pulled off the waiting list till a day before the orientation?

Yeah, a buddy of mine who is on the waitlist did a calculation based on the average amount of people who were accepted off of it over the last 10 years, and the number was nearly 21. There certainly is hope.

As for your second note, I think most schools will be pulling people off the wait list all the way until orientation. Every school I was accepted to made us aware that if we weren't accepted outright, that we could expect to hear up until orientation.

Yeah, a buddy of mine who is on the waitlist did a calculation based on the average amount of people who were accepted off of it over the last 10 years, and the number was nearly 21. There certainly is hope.

As for your second note, I think most schools will be pulling people off the wait list all the way until orientation. Every school I was accepted to made us aware that if we weren't accepted outright, that we could expect to hear up until orientation.

But would you really bank everything on waiting up to the last minute? I mean there's housing situations, knowing the city, perhaps getting a car/bike. Especially for people like me who's trying to decide between another school and this one, it just puts us in an unsafe position of making assumptions or selecting the wrong choice =/

But would you really bank everything on waiting up to the last minute? I mean there's housing situations, knowing the city, perhaps getting a car/bike. Especially for people like me who's trying to decide between another school and this one, it just puts us in an unsafe position of making assumptions or selecting the wrong choice =/

Thats very true. I am in the same position. I think the I would wait atleast till summer to see how far I am the list. I would love to be at the place atleast a month advance so I can settle and get to know the place very well. I have family in Austin so that makes it easier for me. :D

I guess it would depend on how desperately I wanted to attend that institution. It's hard to imagine that there isn't someone out there who literally was accepted as late as possible and still chose to attend the school. Not saying I would do it myself though.

Personally, I would wait till mid July at the latest, and if I didn't hear from that school, I would attend your other choice. Especially given that Austin is such a major college town and living arrangements are probably tough to make that late in the year.

In fact, depending on where you are on the wait list at UT, I would be making earnest preparations on attending the other school, just in case.

in my opinion, it's not too difficult to find a place in West Campus in mid-summer,bc theres just so much housing around campus, you could probably find a place if you utilized one of those free realtor services. The only issue is that you'd probably need to potluck on roommates

Well, you can find a place in West Campus around mid-summer but your choices are much more limited than if you were to start earlier. I did this last year around June and was not able to find one to my liking till almost the end of July. There will always be places available but you can't be as picky I guess. And definitely use a realtor in West Campus as they know the in and outs and typically get you a rather fair deal.

in my opinion, it's not too difficult to find a place in West Campus in mid-summer,bc theres just so much housing around campus, you could probably find a place if you utilized one of those free realtor services. The only issue is that you'd probably need to potluck on roommates

BKay,

That's exactly why I think it's a somewhat risky proposition to even to accept an offer that late in the cycle if you have comparable options with other schools. Factoring in the roommate situation, apartment choices (cost, location, crowd at those apartments etc), I think it's a risk.

Now if someone has their heart set on UT, I think it may be worth it. I was just trying to respond to what one of the other posters had said about possibly accepted a spot late in the cycle.

Personally if I don't get any positive news by late june I think I will withdraw from the waitlist

Question for Current Pharmacy Students:

Can any of the current pharmacy students give some advice about the University health Insurance? What is the cost/fee? Is it a good value?

Any information about the student health plan would be helpful.

Thanks!!

Okay so I have a question. I got my Acceptance Packet on Saturday in the mail and the whole 2 years in El paso thing is freaking me out. How does everyone else feel about it?? Does anyone know how many ppl are sent to El Paso and San Antonio. Also I really don't like the fact that it will be on our diplomas...but that just might be me

Okay so I have a question. I got my Acceptance Packet on Saturday in the mail and the whole 2 years in El paso thing is freaking me out. How does everyone else feel about it?? Does anyone know how many ppl are sent to El Paso and San Antonio. Also I really don't like the fact that it will be on our diplomas...but that just might be me

Wait, our clinical rotations are already decided in our acceptance packets? I thought that wouldn't be decided till after P1 year or so when we pick our preferences. Are you part of the co-op pharmacy program between UT-Austin and UT-El Paso?

During the interview the P1s mentioned that they were getting assigned to their rotations soon, so we probably won't find out until spring semester of our P1 year. I think about 2/3 of students normally get their first choice, and they made it seem like the people who go to El Paso and San Antonio are those who used to live there, so they would be closer to home.
Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Correct, we do not know yet. But the packet mentioned that we had to be aware and that it was via "lottery", which doesn't sound like what I thought the process was.

I do NOT want to live in El Paso or anywhere near Juarez. Been there, done that! Maybe it is just me, but I can't imagine anyone picking to go there voluntarily.

I would really be interested to hear from current students, how the process went for them, or some stats. If there really are a lot of people who want to live down there, then I will breath MUCH easier.

Thanks!

During the interview the P1s mentioned that they were getting assigned to their rotations soon, so we probably won't find out until spring semester of our P1 year. I think about 2/3 of students normally get their first choice, and they made it seem like the people who go to El Paso and San Antonio are those who used to live there, so they would be closer to home.
Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Yeah, I heard at the end of P1 year too. I'm just totally torn on it because I am in San Antonio now- but my family will move to Round Rock by my P3 year so I don't know if I really want to con back to San Antonio for two years. Who knows... I might want to by that time.
What else was in the packet? I'll hopefully get mine tomorrow *crosses fingers*

Correct, we do not know yet. But the packet mentioned that we had to be aware and that it was via "lottery", which doesn't sound like what I thought the process was.

I do NOT want to live in El Paso or anywhere near Juarez. Been there, done that! Maybe it is just me, but I can't imagine anyone picking to go there voluntarily.

I would really be interested to hear from current students, how the process went for them, or some stats. If there really are a lot of people who want to live down there, then I will breath MUCH easier.

Thanks!

You can only do rotations in El Paso through the COOP program or by request.

The deadline just passed for our rotation selections, and basically it's just a form of match. You rank the sites, and a program is run to determine where you are assigned based on the rankings of the whole class. If you are assigned to San Antonio, you move there at the end of the P2 year. People move to the other regions (Austin/Temple/Waco, Houston, and Dallas/Fort Worth) at the end of P3 year.

I am a little confused.. Does the lottery system work based on your GPA? Like if your GPA is high then you get your first choice?

TMC is where I want to do my rotations really. I would not mind doing San Antonio. But El Paso, if anybodys here I would appreciate the input on that