University of Texas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can only do rotations in El Paso through the COOP program or by request.

The deadline just passed for our rotation selections, and basically it's just a form of match. You rank the sites, and a program is run to determine where you are assigned based on the rankings of the whole class. If you are assigned to San Antonio, you move there at the end of the P2 year. People move to the other regions (Austin/Temple/Waco, Houston, and Dallas/Fort Worth) at the end of P3 year.

Thanks - and is it a set number of people who go to each location or does it change every year depending on who wants to go where?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a little confused.. Does the lottery system work based on your GPA? Like if your GPA is high then you get your first choice?

TMC is where I want to do my rotations really. I would not mind doing San Antonio. But El Paso, if anybodys here I would appreciate the input on that

Sorry, maybe my explanation wasn't worded very well. It has nothing to do with GPA

Each student ranks each region with a number 1-4, 1 being most highly desired, 4 being least desired. When the deadline is up, a program takes these rankings and matches students to regions based on them. Not everyone gets their first choice, but most do. I think Dean Ridings-Myhra said it was something along the lines of 70% get their first choice.

Thanks - and is it a set number of people who go to each location or does it change every year depending on who wants to go where?

There are a specific number of seats at each location. These might have some small variability from year to year, but not much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know who to email at UTCOP for questions regarding financial aid?
Thanks

My online status changed to congrats , you have been admitted to first choice major , pre pharm blah blah, and asking for a deposit for $200 by 5/16/2011. Does anybody know if waitlisters have to pay this???

are you waitlisted? my status still says under review...i don't think you have to pay unless you are officially admitted off the waitlist

are you waitlisted? my status still says under review...i don't think you have to pay unless you are officially admitted off the waitlist

Yea I am waitlisted right now and I highly doubt it that I got accepted

what number are you? I would contact UT to find out b/c you never know. then again, ms spencer said she'd notify us when there was a change...best to just ask directly =/

My online status changed to congrats , you have been admitted to first choice major , pre pharm blah blah, and asking for a deposit for $200 by 5/16/2011. Does anybody know if waitlisters have to pay this???

My status says the same thing but I have no intentions of paying the $200.00 because I do not plan on attending the college of Natural Science

wait list update email today..went up 3 spots! :xf:

as a question. the acceptance packet mentioned background checks and drug screening that we had to get done.

does anyone know where we are suppose to go for this, and when it is due?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
as a question. the acceptance packet mentioned background checks and drug screening that we had to get done.

does anyone know where we are suppose to go for this, and when it is due?

Thanks!

I don't believe you have to get drug tested until your P3 year before you go on rotations. We did have to get a background check and get fingerprinted before the P1 year started. They provided us with the website we needed to use for the background check (mostly its for the CARE program, in case the facility you are assigned asks to see it; I never ended up needing it) as well as the place to get fingerprinted. Unfortunately, you have to pay for both yourself. I can't remember when they gave us the information; I thought it might have been in the big packet they sent us but I'm not sure. I'll check it out and get back to you when finals are over.

I don't believe you have to get drug tested until your P3 year before you go on rotations. We did have to get a background check and get fingerprinted before the P1 year started. They provided us with the website we needed to use for the background check (mostly its for the CARE program, in case the facility you are assigned asks to see it; I never ended up needing it) as well as the place to get fingerprinted. Unfortunately, you have to pay for both yourself. I can't remember when they gave us the information; I thought it might have been in the big packet they sent us but I'm not sure. I'll check it out and get back to you when finals are over.

Thanks!! The packet did say the drug screen, finger printing, background check were needed, and that we had to pay for them, but I didn't see where it stated the date or the agency to use. Any info would be appreciated, thanks again!!

Thanks!! The packet did say the drug screen, finger printing, background check were needed, and that we had to pay for them, but I didn't see where it stated the date or the agency to use. Any info would be appreciated, thanks again!!

Usually the website is certifiedbackground.com but I would just wait if they have not yet provided the password required to register on that site. For now just shop around for some deals on business casual clothes! :cool:

Are y'all gonna get your sports packs? They're an amazing deal and I would love to attend games with my fellow classmates.

For those on waitlist, they have made it at least to spot 11, so hang in there!

I think after. I was in the office and saw one lucky guy's packet in the outgoing mail. After asking about it, they said they were up to spot 11.

I think after. I was in the office and saw one lucky guy's packet in the outgoing mail. After asking about it, they said they were up to spot 11.

Omg, I was placed under 10 after they formed it..... I am so nervous now. I havent received any email yet.:eek:

Hello everyone! I just recently found out that I’ve been accepted to the University of Texas SOP off of the waitlist, but I’ve already accepted a seat at Texas Tech, and now I have to make a decision. I’ve been lurking on these forums for a while, but this is my first actual post, and I could really use some insight from current students, so if you guys could take a little time and answer any one (or all) of these questions, I’d be VERY grateful.

1. What do you wish you had known about the school you chose beforehand?
2. What are some pros & cons based on your experience?
3. Why did you choose the school you’re attending?
4. How important is school ranking in the job market? (and what are the criteria that ranking is based on, because I’d like to know how they’re evaluated in the first place.)

Anything else you’d like to add is of course welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance for any wisdom you have to share! Hope to hear from ya’ll soon! :)

Hello everyone! I just recently found out that I’ve been accepted to the University of Texas SOP off of the waitlist, but I’ve already accepted a seat at Texas Tech, and now I have to make a decision. I’ve been lurking on these forums for a while, but this is my first actual post, and I could really use some insight from current students, so if you guys could take a little time and answer any one (or all) of these questions, I’d be VERY grateful.

1. What do you wish you had known about the school you chose beforehand?
2. What are some pros & cons based on your experience?
3. Why did you choose the school you’re attending?
4. How important is school ranking in the job market? (and what are the criteria that ranking is based on, because I’d like to know how they’re evaluated in the first place.)

Anything else you’d like to add is of course welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance for any wisdom you have to share! Hope to hear from ya’ll soon! :)

Congrats man!!!!! What # were you on the last update? Also, I can give you my opinion on your question 4. All schools I believe will teach you the same education and in the end you will become the licensed pharmacist. The ranking is based on how much funding they get. Its the license that mattersbin the end. It also depends what you want to do. I have worked with UT alumni and other pharmacists (TSU, University of Washington and UH, Howard, ect) and they make the same money. Its the experience that matters. UT and Tech are great schools. Tech tends to be more on the clinical side whereas UT is more about research.

A school with higher ranking may play some role if you decide to do a residency or go into business field.

Personally I would calculate cost and personal factors when deciding on schools :)

Omg, I was placed under 10 after they formed it..... I am so nervous now. I havent received any email yet.:eek:

I thought they send out emails before they mail out the packets.... or are they doing it differently for the waitlist?

Usually the website is certifiedbackground.com but I would just wait if they have not yet provided the password required to register on that site. For now just shop around for some deals on business casual clothes! :cool:

I know this should be obvious, but exactly what do you mean by "business casual?" I def prolly need to go buy some more, but I wanna know what I should get.

The packets should come in after the emails. And business casual usually means slacks, dress shoes, with a button down shirt.

Congrats to those who got in! Hope to see all you guys in the fall

I know this should be obvious, but exactly what do you mean by "business casual?" I def prolly need to go buy some more, but I wanna know what I should get.

For a guy it means dress shirts (with ties in some classes, although you can get away with just a polo shirt in one or two classes), slacks/khakis, matching belt and shoes, and your white coat. The College will do the shopping for you on the last one =)

You may also want to think about getting a business card holder for pharmacy convention networking.

Looks like we just got a ton of info, friends! I'm off to get poked by lots of needles this Friday.

Hey guys,
I'm currently on the waitlist, but I've been receiving emails from UT about being accepted as an undergraduate...? And starting in the fall as a freshmen. Is anyone else receiving these emails? Just curious as to if this is normal...

Hey guys,
I'm currently on the waitlist, but I've been receiving emails from UT about being accepted as an undergraduate...? And starting in the fall as a freshmen. Is anyone else receiving these emails? Just curious as to if this is normal...

I received them too, its normal. I also had to email Ms Spencer cuz my online thing was asking for a deposit so they had to reset it..

Any movements on the list yet?

Looks like we just got a ton of info, friends! I'm off to get poked by lots of needles this Friday.

I just did that today, was missing WAY more shots than I thought I was. As a tip to others, try going to the Big Shots clinics in Austin.

One up North on Blessing Ave, and one south on Stassney. They only charge $10 per visit, no matter how many shots you need, and will include your TB test.

Applicable for anyone who is either uninsured, or has insurance which requires a copay.

I started my Hep B at a different clinic and was paying $50-$75 each. Glad I found out about this, saved me a ton of money!

I received them too, its normal. I also had to email Ms Spencer cuz my online thing was asking for a deposit so they had to reset it..

Any movements on the list yet?

Since the waitlist was formed. We moved up 10 spots

They're meeting today.... I wanted to find the room and see what it looks like they're doing from the outside, but I don't know the room numbers!

I can imagine them being creeped out by a lone prospective at the window with this sad, puppy-dog face. Just need snow, a spotlight and a violinist. :p

Hey, P1s--Congratulations on your acceptance!

So, I'm a P4, and my roommate is moving out in about a month on August 17th. I need a roommate and I would prefer to live with someone in pharmacy school. If you haven't found some place yet, let me know! It's a condo in West Campus almost at the corner of Lamar and MLK.

Send me a PM if you want more details. Thanks!

hi it's my first time posting anything on sdn...

just wondering... when will UT's application for the next cycle be available?

annnnd what are the essay questions i'll need to answer?

thanks!

my grades for pre req are 3.6
so far but i want to take some more classes
immunology
toxicology
genetics
molecular cell

thinking of taking another communication class maybe a&pII and drug and substance abuse

i have proven leadership skills
i have student services- 40 hours
i have volunteer-70 hours for the last 2 yrs over 2000 including past
no pharmacy of to date
i work full time and doing 12-17 credits last 2 years
single parent soul provider for my family

i want ut i want to move to austin in west texas now
do i quit my job and get my pharm tech lic what can i do more? do i find volunteer work in hospital and or clinic what more can i do??

I'm applying here for the Fall 2012 application cycle, has anyone started or completed their applications yet?

If I may ask what made there be an issue with you not having taken Calculus II?

Not necessarily. If I remember correctly, I had already been accepted when I found out there was an issue with me not having Calculus 2. I thought I would have to scramble to get it done in the summer before P1 fall but was able to prove my Cal 1 class was sufficient to meet the requirement. They were the ones that contacted me about it though still.