University of Texas CoP Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i have put out 2k in deposits. I accepted the first one out of desperation and the second was better, and the third even better. I am so freaking out.

Members don't see this ad.

Old? Just to make yall feel better, I'm 33. I know two people my age who arent even applying until next year. And one my age who recently got accepted. At the interview there were a few p1s who were older than me. From what ive seen, a lot of applicants/students are 25 and up. Its not that old.

26 is quite young. When i was 26 i was just starting undergrad and i felt really old and it really gave me a complex. Looking back I wouldnt even think about it at all. 26 is not old. Id say the difference between a 20 yr old student and 26 yr old is negligible. Even at 33 i am not worried about fitting in in pharm school. Im still the same person at heart that i was at 17. The difference is now i see how inexperienced and naive some 20 year olds are.

Last edited:
Ok I have you all beat. I'm 35. I'll be 36 by the time the school year starts. Honestly, I felt out of place at the interview- I thought that this school seemed a bit younger than other schools. I'm glad to hear there are some older students applying this year!

Members don't see this ad :)
i have put out 2k in deposits. I accepted the first one out of desperation and the second was better, and the third even better. I am so freaking out.

OMG! Same here. I have put over 1k in deposits :x it really sucks

hey guys so they are meeting this week right? so we should find out by when like saturday?? eeek im so nervous!

I have heard that the first round of acceptances will go out sometime around Friday.

It's gonna be a long week.

....and an even longer 2 weeks if we don't hear this Friday!

Feel so great that there are more people in this thread :). So funny how you guys talk about age in this thread, lol. I don't think it does matter at all. And I don't mind if UT building is old, I feel great about UT. I love old buildings, lol, since my high school was built around 1950s (when at that time I can chose the other school that is newer and ranked higher than my high school).

Feel so great that there are more people in this thread :). So funny how you guys talk about age in this thread, lol. I don't think it does matter at all. And I don't mind if UT building is old, I feel great about UT. I love old buildings, lol, since my high school was built around 1950s (when at that time I can chose the other school that is newer and ranked higher than my high school).

Old buildings have a sense of history to them which i like. Id much rather go to UT than one of the freshly accredited schools regardless of how shiny their facilities are.

Ok lets be real, the building is old, but not that old so the sense of history is not that significant. The campus has wayyyyy worse buildings, that they have demolished recently. As long as the place is clean who cares, its a great school. For all those concerned about how old the building is, go to another school preferably one of the pre-candidate ones with one year old facilities with no 2nd year curriculums established.

Im surprised so many people are concerned about buildings being old. Its still one of the top pharmacy programs in the nation, amazing staff, in an amazing city. They still have the technology you need (not like they're living in the stone age just because the building happens to be older). Maybe the reason UT Pharmacy program is so great is because they focus on the quality of education rather than what it looks like. Greatness and beauty are always on the inside first.

All of you have your own opinion. Even I have my own interest. So there's no point to keep analyzing back and forth why and why not we choose UT or whatever other schools...
:D Well but to see how you guys share your point of view is interesting. Gl everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
All of you have your own opinion. Even I have my own interest. So there's no point to keep analyzing back and forth why and why not we choose UT or whatever other schools...
:D Well but to see how you guys share your point of view is interesting. Gl everyone.

I think we should officially close the "UT building is so old" topic and never speak of it again, at this point it is irrelevant.

I think we should officially close the "UT building is so old" topic and never speak of it again, at this point it is irrelevant.

One person stated the age was a concern. Every other time it was mentioned was to say age of the facilities isnt important. And regardless, that is what this forum is here for, so people can chat. Not sure why yall are making it out like were hotly debating this ****.

Shall we go back to lurking in this thread?

Old buildings have a sense of history to them which i like. Id much rather go to UT than one of the freshly accredited schools regardless of how shiny their facilities are.

You must not have interviewed Texas Tech then (est. 1996).
Ok lets be real, the building is old, but not that old so the sense of history is not that significant. The campus has wayyyyy worse buildings, that they have demolished recently. As long as the place is clean who cares, its a great school. For all those concerned about how old the building is, go to another school preferably one of the pre-candidate ones with one year old facilities with no 2nd year curriculums established.

Hold your horses chief. Everyone has their right to express their opinions.

You must not have interviewed Texas Tech then (est. 1996).

Hold your horses chief. Everyone has their right to express their opinions.

I feel like the old building thing is like beating a dead horse. We all have our opinions and we are all going back and forth, its futile at this point. I dont think we are changing each others opinions. IT IS A FACT, THE BUILDING IS OLD. We all know it, as an "older" that building has been old for a lonnnnng time, im 26 now and when i started my undergrad ten years ago it was old looking. But does anyone remember the ESB that used to be behind the pharmacy building? it was soooooo super old, a lot of UT buildings are old, and a lot of them are new. McCombs was pretty old when i was there, and I bet a lot of us went to undergraduate programs with random old buildings. Just like we age so do buildings, i just feel like it is what it is. We are all getting all hyped and anxious! LOL

SO, on another note....does anyone live in or around Austin now?! What is your favorite thing to do there? I am not from Austin (have been a few times, but not long enough to know what people from around there love). What do you think is the best food, as far as the different types: Good ol' fashioned American place? Mexican? Italian? Chineese? etc, breakfast place? lunch/dinner? If you were to spend the whole day at some attraction, where would it be? And what do you think you will miss most about where you are coming from if/when you get accepted?

Also, if you're NOT from around Austin, how do you plan on going about looking for a place to live/how much are you looking to spend? Are you coming alone, or with a significant other? And when do you plan on moving to the area? If I get in, I think I will probably try and move up before the summer session, because I need to take Genetics. I've read that it is a good idea to get an apartment finder person to help you in your search if you aren't too familiar with the area since they are free. I will be moving up with my yellow lab, and minus my husband for the year while he continues to work in San Antonio, so I am thinking of maybe trying to rent a house with a few people or something that would keep the cost of living relatively low between people with the added bonus of getting to study together without having to travel anywhere.

Depends on how much you wanna pay. You have a significant other so the typical cheap riverside housing is not possible, those charge per bed and you have a roommate( but the area is sketchy). I personally like living within walking distance, so that gives the option of westcampus ( tends to be pricey and loud). The farther you move away things get a little cheaper and more calm, and there are a lot of UT shuttles that will pretty much take you were you need to go. The UT area has a lot of apartment finders, just look online so you get a better idea of the area you want to live, and when you meet the agent it will be easier. The only thing to keep in mind is that Austin traffic is ridiculous like 90% of the time. I would live further out because I like something calm, but traffic sucks. If you go down Guadalupe towards the IF its a bit quieter and traffics not bad. I plan on moving back to Austin (hopefully i get in) as soon as I can buy a place and close, so hopefully around June. Having roommates is super fun, but I feel like we will all be so stressed out it might get a lil crazy, but i guess that room mates in a house will not be as bad. Austin is pretty awesome when it comes to housing and the apartment finders are really good, just tell them specifically what you want and your price range. If you dont sometimes they will take you to all the super expensive places.

I dont know if things have changed but my rule is to stay on the side of I-35 where the campus is, there are things like Robertson Hill apartments across I-35 that are nice but i think the campus side of 35 is better.

I feel like the old building thing is like beating a dead horse. We all have our opinions and we are all going back and forth, its futile at this point. I dont think we are changing each others opinions. IT IS A FACT, THE BUILDING IS OLD. We all know it, as an "older" that building has been old for a lonnnnng time, im 26 now and when i started my undergrad ten years ago it was old looking. But does anyone remember the ESB that used to be behind the pharmacy building? it was soooooo super old, a lot of UT buildings are old, and a lot of them are new. McCombs was pretty old when i was there, and I bet a lot of us went to undergraduate programs with random old buildings. Just like we age so do buildings, i just feel like it is what it is. We are all getting all hyped and anxious! LOL

My point was I don't think anybody is trying to change anybody else's opinion, merely engaging in discussion. It's not "going back and forth". Just keeping the thread going.

Yeah, the ESB was super old and reeked of formaldehyde. It needed to be torn down.

SO, on another note....does anyone live in or around Austin now?! What is your favorite thing to do there? I am not from Austin (have been a few times, but not long enough to know what people from around there love). What do you think is the best food, as far as the different types: Good ol' fashioned American place? Mexican? Italian? Chineese? etc, breakfast place? lunch/dinner? If you were to spend the whole day at some attraction, where would it be? And what do you think you will miss most about where you are coming from if/when you get accepted?

Also, if you're NOT from around Austin, how do you plan on going about looking for a place to live/how much are you looking to spend? Are you coming alone, or with a significant other? And when do you plan on moving to the area? If I get in, I think I will probably try and move up before the summer session, because I need to take Genetics. I've read that it is a good idea to get an apartment finder person to help you in your search if you aren't too familiar with the area since they are free. I will be moving up with my yellow lab, and minus my husband for the year while he continues to work in San Antonio, so I am thinking of maybe trying to rent a house with a few people or something that would keep the cost of living relatively low between people with the added bonus of getting to study together without having to travel anywhere.

I'm an Austinite. Lots of stuff to do here, depends on your interests. Probably best renowned for the music scene. SXSW is next week, one of the biggest music festivals in the country if not the world. Lots of great food of all types, but a big thing here these days are the little street food trailers in South Austin. If you are visiting it's fun to take a stroll down South Congress and visit the little shops and grab a bite from the trailers. We have the Alamo theatres if you're a movie buff, they always show cool little films and have fun events like quote-a-longs and such. As for me, I generally just like to bike or jog around Town Lake when the weather is nice. The Kite Festival was this past weekend and the weather was gorgeous. A good place to see whats going on is www.auschron.com.

For apartments, it's definitely helpful to use a locator, much less headache than searching on your own or on Craigslist. Your success is largely dependent on who you know to give you a heads up on a nice reasonably priced place. It shouldn't be hard though to find a room in a house w/ some people, what with all the students in town.

Depends on how much you wanna pay. You have a significant other so the typical cheap riverside housing is not possible, those charge per bed and you have a roommate( but the area is sketchy). I personally like living within walking distance, so that gives the option of westcampus ( tends to be pricey and loud). The farther you move away things get a little cheaper and more calm, and there are a lot of UT shuttles that will pretty much take you were you need to go. The UT area has a lot of apartment finders, just look online so you get a better idea of the area you want to live, and when you meet the agent it will be easier. The only thing to keep in mind is that Austin traffic is ridiculous like 90% of the time. I would live further out because I like something calm, but traffic sucks. If you go down Guadalupe towards the IF its a bit quieter and traffics not bad. I plan on moving back to Austin (hopefully i get in) as soon as I can buy a place and close, so hopefully around June. Having roommates is super fun, but I feel like we will all be so stressed out it might get a lil crazy, but i guess that room mates in a house will not be as bad. Austin is pretty awesome when it comes to housing and the apartment finders are really good, just tell them specifically what you want and your price range. If you dont sometimes they will take you to all the super expensive places.

I dont know if things have changed but my rule is to stay on the side of I-35 where the campus is, there are things like Robertson Hill apartments across I-35 that are nice but i think the campus side of 35 is better.

Yeah Riverside area is a bit sketchy and some people might not feel comfortable there, but it's really not that bad and there are a lot of students that live there. You're right, things go downhill fast when you head East of 35, but there are some good spots. Living North is cheaper and quieter but you are far from the interesting stuff. The Cap Metro bus will take you to campus (for free if you have a student ID) and there are park and ride lots all over town. Having lived North for most of my time in Austin, I like living South because you are closer to the fun areas. Just make sure you start looking EARLY because they generally lease out all the student apartments far in advance.

Congrats to all those who've already been accepted!! I hope you realize that you're not only going to one of the best pharmacy schools in the country (still top 4), but one of the best places in the country to grow as a person. The professors you learn from are leaders in their fields and, if you play your cards right, will help you get anywhere you want to in your career. Any questions about anything let me know, I graduated C/O 2011 and am now a PGY1 resident in NYC.

CONGRATS AGAIN!!!

P.S. You're pledging Phi Delta Chi; don't think about it just do it.

HOOK 'EM

So has anyone heard anything from the admissions office yet?

I don't know if the message above is just a general statement. I can't quite remember how they said they would first notify us. Was it email? or snail mail? I know they covered this, i was just on the adrenaline down slide from the interview. :p

I don't know if the message above is just a general statement. I can't quite remember how they said they would first notify us. Was it email? or snail mail? I know they covered this, i was just on the adrenaline down slide from the interview. :p

lol I think, im not sure though, that they are meeting on thursday because that is the same day the met last week before spring break. So hopefully we should hear back by friday or more likely monday/tuesday and by email. thats how everyone heard back last year!

You will know your admissions status by email. If you accept, you will get an official acceptance package later.

So I went to check my application status on the UT direct and it says its under review..But under the Admission tab, not "Pharmacy"...Does anyone know if this is just for the school, or for Pharmacy too?!?! This is definitely going to be a long 3 more days!

Should be for the undergraduate programuy

Does anyone know if the Adcom met today? It's possible half of our fates have been decided!

do all of yalls applications say "under review"

mine doesnt say that. on the application status page...it just says complete for both the undergrad app and the pharmacy app

are you guys UT students or transfers?

Yeah mine says complete as well. I assume they are reviewing your undergraduate admission. I am a former student so i just had to apply for re admittance so it took a week. If your a transfer it might be different.

im a transfer student. it was pretty quick for me too...turned it all in pretty early

My sources tell me the committee met yesterday, and that the first round of acceptances will go out via email on Friday.

Good luck everyone!

My sources tell me the committee met yesterday, and that the first round of acceptances will go out via email on Friday.

Good luck everyone!

oh my gosh really!? im so nervous!!! did you call the admissions office?

omgosh good luck everyone!!! so anxious to hear back!!

I can't take it anymore!! I'm probably in the second group and have no chance of hearing back today/tomorrow!!!

Anxiously waiting for the email :-ss. The statement from someone of UTCOP 2011 really made me scare for an instant. Then I realized no one heard anything yet. Phew :-h.

Good luck everyone!
I thought they met on Thursday. When you said yesterday, does it mean Wednesday?

I hope they go out tomorrow! I don't think I can wait until next week...or worse, end of march! EEK!:scared:

Hope for the bestttttttttttttttt :D

I'm not an Austinite, but I've lived here for 7 years, and my wife is :p

There is almost too much to do and see in this small little town, the south congress bridge bats, SXSW, ACL, 6th street, 4th street... I could go on.

Some things to be aware of:
  • Riverside. It's cheap, and popular for students, but it's also popular for less than savory folks. Don't live there.
  • Texas Relays. Don't go downtown during the Texas Relays, just don't do it.
  • MoPac's traffic is terrible (as in some of the worst in the country) from 4:30-6:30, IH-35 is equally bad from 3:00-7:00
  • For good New York Pizza, go to HomeSlice on Elizabeth and Congress
  • For good Chinese, go to Hunan Lion on Lamar.
  • The two top rated restaurants are the Driskill Grill (4 star, downtown and very popular) and Sienna (4 star Italian Tuscan, off loop 360) figure ~80 per plate minimum (not including gratuity) and if it's close to a holiday, make reservations well in advance.
  • For a great time at the movies go to any Alamo Draft House.
  • And under no circumstances should you ever follow GPS/MapQuest/GoogleMaps directions to Austin-Bergstrom Airport (it will take you all over town) Just take Mopac/IH-35/US-183 south to Route 71, and take that east.

I know I left a ton out, but there is too much to list! Others, please feel free to add to this list!

Last edited: