University of Texas CoP Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to those of you who got an interview. As a UT student I would just like to extend a word of caution to you all as you make your decision process.

From my experience, I have to shamefully admit that UT really does focus more on appearance than the actual students. While all Colleges of Pharmacy in Texas have almost identical pass rates for the NAPLEX, UT is unique for it's national ranking (#4 currently). However, you will find that UT needlessly complicates the curriculum to maintain this ranking. Do not be mistaken when you choose to accept UT COP. The courses are difficult, the instructors are guided to purposefully weedout students in the first and second year. In the third year successful students who have demonstrated mastery of the material and are obviously dedicated are still failed and held back simply to maintain this illusion.

A student with a B+ average can fail the course for an entire year based off of a test worth less than 20% of the course overall. This is because UT uses module mastery, if you do not pass every exam in every class you will not proceed in the program and will be held back a year and forced to pay $15k for the privilege. Now while most of you are sitting out there saying, this isn't a problem, I have a 4.0 I've never failed a class in my life. Just remember that every single semester at UT you will be registered for at LEAST 18hrs and up to 11 classes. You will have multiple exams a week, sometimes a day. Each class will require excessive outside of class work. Labs require up to 10 hours of prep per week, a statistic the faculty brags about while well aware of our course load. You will be in classes where everyone was the top of their class coming in, and now at least 25% of these 4.0 students are learning what it feels like to be at the bottom. You will be in a class with these very talented individuals and still have exam averages that are below passing, and curves NEVER happen.

Additionally, the first week of every year you will take a milestone exam covering the previous semesters material. This exam is mandatory as well. On the exam you will be forced to recall minute detail, including formulas, that may not have even been required to have memorized for the class. The stress level is high and constant. The students who graduate will either fall into 1 of 2 groups, they will be egocentric bastards who think they are too good for anything and deserve to have employers feel honored to have them working for them, or they will have learned what the bottom feels like, these students will have been ground into the floor for 4 years. They will have no self esteem, they will have stress disorders, and will never realize their true potential as they have learned to accept they are the dirt the top 10% walks on.

This is the environment UT fosters. Had I known this 3 years ago I never would have pursued my education at this establishment. While there are people who thrive in high pressure and high stress environments, I would caution those of you who don't. The professors are renown, the university is nationally ranked, but the disregard for students is undeniable.

I'm really confused about almost all of what you are saying. I am a current student as well, and my experience has been great so far. Everything that is done in the college is done for a reason. The accreditation board REQUIRES almost everything that the college enforces. The classes might be difficult and you can complain about spending a lot of time on classes and labs outside the classroom, but this is a professional program in which the end result is a DOCTOR OF PHARMACY degree. What did you expect? It's most likely not a walk in the park anywhere you go.

I would caution applicants to think about this choice extremely critically from a job market stand point. For the 2012 residency match, 61% of applicants nationwide matched for first year residency positions (PGY1). UTCOP students who applied, however, had a much higher match rate at 84%. It is obvious that UT students are sought after by employers, and with the job market becoming more and more saturated, I would say this is pretty important.

As for the milestone exams.... yes, this may seem like an inconvenience, but it is SUCH a good idea. It makes you have to review important things you have learned previously. I have personally spoken with several pharmacists who have graduated recently from UTCOP who were part of the old curriculum. They did not take these milestone exams, but they unanimously agree that it is a good idea. Likewise, the curriculum has been revamped recently based on previous students' evaluations. Again, these pharmacists agree that the module system is a much better system than they had as students. And on that note, I think it is a pretty good idea to require at least a C on the modules. Don't you think that a pharmacist should know what they are doing in every single area of drug therapy.. so they don't KILL someone?

The faculty and staff are there for the students at UTCOP. I believe they listen to the students' needs and wishes. They give you every opportunity to do well. Professors and TAs will gladly meet with you and help you out. There is free tutoring in any subject. If you aren't doing well, then it is most likely your fault and no one else's. You can't blame it on a professor if you aren't putting the time in. The professors don't try to "weed people out" either. That is such an idiotic thing to say. It makes the college look BAD if they don't graduate a full class. So, quit giving false information.

Lastly, for you to say that the students at the top of the class are "egocentric bastards" is insulting. I know MANY of the 2012 graduates including several that graduated in the top 10%.... NONE of which are "egocentric bastards." In fact, they are some of the nicest, most kind-hearted, and compassionate people I know. They care about their patients and they enjoy their jobs and residencies. Maybe you need some counseling if your self-esteem is so low.

To all current applicants: Again, I advise you to think about the job market critically. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the program! And good luck at your interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

We prospective students appreciate the honesty from each current student

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah... I have to agree with Bob1234 on this. I appreciate the honesty even if it may or may not be true for me. It's always nice to have multiple people talking about their experience.

As for the interview... I am uberly nervous. I'm okay at interviews. But I feel like I need to do more to "wow" the interviewer... And I don't know what that might be.... any clues?

Congrats to everyone who scored an interview with UTCoP this year! This is really a great establishment, even if there are some hiccups here and there. I'm not going to lie, the curriculum can be double-tough if you are ill prepared. However, here are some things I'd like to communicate to you with regard to your interviews, and what you can expect during your first semester if you are accepted.

For interviews:
I'm a little disturbed about some of the posts I've read that talk about how UT accepts individuals based on "appearances".... This portrays the college as having some sort of agenda aside from producing some of the best pharmacists in the COUNTRY; which, is ENTIRELY untrue.

1. For your interview- Meditate, or do something to calm yourself before you arrive, and while you wait. Look at it like this- The admissions committee already thinks you have the brains to do the job, but they need to know that you have the heart, personality, and the acceptable (if not stellar) demeanor required to work in a "people profession" like pharmacy. Additionally, if you think that you will skate by with your academics- that's simply not going to happen. While the practice of pharmacy is heavily rooted in the sciences, the "people" component is JUST AS IMPORTANT - so doing well in your interview is of the utmost importance. *Note: Remember your manners, be genuine, and be honest... BUT- You don't have to "volunteer" any information - keep that in mind*
2. If you are one of those individuals who considers themselves to be awkward, that's okay. Trust me! I have plenty of classmates who describe themselves as awkward (and in truth, some of them are), but when it came time to talk "like a human being" during their interview - they did just fine. Everyone has something of value to offer to this profession- assuming they are genuinely interested in helping people.
3. Be EXCITED! Positivity is contagious, and if you can't show excitement at getting the opportunity to interview at someplace like UTCoP - thennnnn odds are that they are going to sense that.... That would undoubtedly work against your best interests...
4. UTILIZE THE Q&A SESSION! There are no cameras rolling, and no faculty are allowed to be present. You get to speak to members of 3 different classes (maybe there will even be a P4 there last minute or something), and any questions you have for them regarding their experiences at the college ARE FAIR GAME! I can't emphasize enough how important this portion of your interview is! (Note: Those participating in the interviews are not going to say "negative" things about the college - like anyone else, we students tend only to say negative things during times of great stress... HOWEVER - they might drop key phrases/words like "challenging" or "time-consuming" etc. Try and think of these as indicators of areas where these students might have had to work particularly hard.
5. Finally, be confident in yourself. As I said before, you are among some very special individuals if you've been extended an invitation to interview with the college. You've been chosen over quite a few other applicants (the applications this year numbered over 1k I believe), so they must've learned something about you from your writings and application that they find appealing. *Note: To the applicants who weren't extended an interview - I am DEFINITELY NOT SAYING that you are not special, or that you are not good enough. Many individuals do not get accepted to UT on their first round of applications, and some do not even on their second! Persevering and reapplying will show dedication - and maybe that's what will change your luck on the next round of applications(assuming that you don't get accepted elsewhere and decide to accept). If you plan on reapplying; review all of your information, have others review it, and I would even recommend you ask Dr. Wilcox (assuming you do it very politely) what pointers he/the committee would have for you for to improve your chances for your next application.*

Oh- one last note on the interview thing - TALK TO THE STUDENTS AND OTHER APPLICANTS WHILE YOU ARE WAITING AT VARIOUS POINTS THROUGHOUT THE INTERVIEW PROCESS- The Q&A session is not the only way to learn about the college ;-)

For those of you who get accepted:
I probably won't be on here again until wayyyy after all ya'll find out - so.... CONGRATS AGAIN! Now... Here comes the cautionary warnings *insert the dum-dum-dum here* .....

1. This is a PROFESSIONAL program... Act accordingly. You will be around people from many walks of life, and many people will be from very different backgrounds. Just because you and another student have a similar educational background does not necessarily mean that you will mesh well with one another - THAT IS OKAY! You only have to get along professionally- if you can manage that- you'll be golden :)
2. Be prepared to work your *** off! I'm not by any means saying that I am the smartest student. However, had I not had to work as much as I did during my undergrad - I could have easily maintained a 4.0. I'm sure that some of you applying actually have a 4.0, and that's great... BUT - It's a whole new ballgame once your in a class full of people just like you. You will have to work MUCH HARDER than you will have ever worked before - just trust me on this one.
3. I've heard it floating around that "professors NEVER curve!".... That's not a hard and fast rule, but it's definitely a rarity. Keep in mind, throughout your time at UT, that you will be entrusted with peoples' LIVES on a daily basis once you are a member of the healthcare workforce. Doctors will rely on you to give them the appropriate advice regarding medication therapies, patients will rely on your to give them vital counsel on all their medications, and various other healthcare professionals will look to you for advice on occasion as well. YOU WILL BE THE MEDICATION EXPERT!
4. If you suck at time management.... WORK ON GETTING BETTER AT IT NOW! Start getting used to keeping a planner. Get used to setting aside enormous chunks of your day for studying. Some people will inherently have to study longer than others depending on the subject, and vice versa. Having said that, there isn't one person in my class who would say that they spend the same amount of time studying now, as they did when they were in their undergrad courses. This alone should tell you that you would have to be the "Mary Poppins of Pharmacy" (practically perfect in every way), to manage all your courses with the same amount of effort as you put forth in undergrad. I'm nto saying it's impossible, just extremely, extremely, EXTREMELY unlikely.
5. If you are a stress eater, or are not currently exercising regularly- Brace yourself! Get into healthy habits starting now and continuing on until you make it successfully through your P1 year. While Austin offers a wide range of healthy cuisine, you are often times very limited with respect to the time you have to eat. Get used to packing healthy lunches, and spending 30 or so minutes a day exercising. I'm sure most of you already know why the above are beneficial to your health - but what you don't know is that you will definitely need that extra bit of stress relief during your time at UT. It's a rigorous program- that's just the name of the game.
6. Don't wait to get help with a subject you're having difficulty in, until you are already too far behind in a subject to save yourself. Ask classmates for help/tutoring, get a tutor (they are free to you, but the tutor is paid by a fund the college holds), and make appointments with professors to clarify info that you don't understand. The professors, for the most part, are extremely nice. *note the key phrase in that last sentence*.... Hmmm might be something to ask about at your Q&A...
7. Individuals with significant others, husbands, wives, girlfriends, boyfriends, etc. - Prepare your better half for the change that is to come. Make your loved ones a top priority now, and throughout the time you're studying at the college. But please, prepare them for those days, weeks, and dare I say months/semesters where all you have time for is a "date night" once a week... You'd be surprised at how quickly a rigorous program like this can take a toll on a relationship, especially if everyone involved isn't prepared with how to deal with the changes beforehand. Now I'm not saying that this will be an issue that affects everyone, but it's definitely an issue for some - and it was for me also. I guess the best advice here would be: Know when you need to take a break and spend time with your loved ones... They are going to be supporting you throughout this adventure, and one A vs one B is not going to make that much difference in the grand-scheme of things.
7. Finally, and this is a big one- DO NOT DO ANYTHING STUPID NOW THAT YOU ARE IN! This isn't to say that any of the applicants who end up getting accepted would, but you would be surprised at the stories I've heard. Remember, the college takes its reputation very VERY seriously. If the administration has to choose between having a blemish on its reputation because of something you do, or asking you to leave the program... Which one do you think they are going to pick? Not to mention, the TSBP looks at many factors when deciding if an applicant is fit for licensure in the State of Texas- not just whether you meet the educational requirements.

Well---- I think that about covers it for now. I apologize if I was long-winded, but I don't like to leave details out if at all possible ha ha ha!
Don't worry if you still have questions - You will have plenty of opportunity to have them addressed, and to prep yourself.
Feel free to PM me here. If I have time, I'll respond as I can. Best of luck to you all, and see you on Saturday the 26th if you happen to be interviewing that day!

Congratulations again, and GOOD LUCK!

Anyone know the typical questions they ask during an interview? I know the interview is only 30 minutes (plus the group interview) so what can they possible ask?

Congrats to those of you who got an interview. As a UT student I would just like to extend a word of caution to you all as you make your decision process.

From my experience, I have to shamefully admit that UT really does focus more on appearance than the actual students. While all Colleges of Pharmacy in Texas have almost identical pass rates for the NAPLEX, UT is unique for it's national ranking (#4 currently). However, you will find that UT needlessly complicates the curriculum to maintain this ranking. Do not be mistaken when you choose to accept UT COP. The courses are difficult, the instructors are guided to purposefully weedout students in the first and second year. In the third year successful students who have demonstrated mastery of the material and are obviously dedicated are still failed and held back simply to maintain this illusion.

A student with a B+ average can fail the course for an entire year based off of a test worth less than 20% of the course overall. This is because UT uses module mastery, if you do not pass every exam in every class you will not proceed in the program and will be held back a year and forced to pay $15k for the privilege. Now while most of you are sitting out there saying, this isn't a problem, I have a 4.0 I've never failed a class in my life. Just remember that every single semester at UT you will be registered for at LEAST 18hrs and up to 11 classes. You will have multiple exams a week, sometimes a day. Each class will require excessive outside of class work. Labs require up to 10 hours of prep per week, a statistic the faculty brags about while well aware of our course load. You will be in classes where everyone was the top of their class coming in, and now at least 25% of these 4.0 students are learning what it feels like to be at the bottom. You will be in a class with these very talented individuals and still have exam averages that are below passing, and curves NEVER happen.

Additionally, the first week of every year you will take a milestone exam covering the previous semesters material. This exam is mandatory as well. On the exam you will be forced to recall minute detail, including formulas, that may not have even been required to have memorized for the class. The stress level is high and constant. The students who graduate will either fall into 1 of 2 groups, they will be egocentric bastards who think they are too good for anything and deserve to have employers feel honored to have them working for them, or they will have learned what the bottom feels like, these students will have been ground into the floor for 4 years. They will have no self esteem, they will have stress disorders, and will never realize their true potential as they have learned to accept they are the dirt the top 10% walks on.

This is the environment UT fosters. Had I known this 3 years ago I never would have pursued my education at this establishment. While there are people who thrive in high pressure and high stress environments, I would caution those of you who don't. The professors are renown, the university is nationally ranked, but the disregard for students is undeniable.

I am a 4th year pharmacy student from UT currently on my rotations, and I was alerted to this post by a P2 student. She felt strongly enough about this post to contact me, asking me to put in my two cents as someone who has completed more than 3.5 years of the UTCOP curriculum.

First and foremost, I have had a WONDERFUL experience at UT. I received my BS in Chemistry from UT, took some time off, then decided to come back for pharmacy school. My experience in the pharmacy program was exponentially better than my experience in undergrad, although I was very happy with both.

The person who wrote the quoted post did, in fact, share some true facts. However, those facts were laced with bitterness and negativity. Why - I'm uncertain, but enough of us have LOVED our experience enough to speak up in contradiction of his/her words.

1. Yes, UT does have a module mastery program, and if you fail one module, you can potentially fail the course. However, this RARELY happens because you have another shot at passing the module during the final. I have news for you - if you re-fail the module during the final - you deserve to fail the course. Everything you learn in pharmacy school is relevant to the profession. I don't know about you, but I don't want to put my healthcare in the hands of someone who couldn't pass the topic on the 2nd try. If you fail twice, it should be a wake-up call to learn better study habits and try again next time the class is offered. We're not children, therefore there is no reason to baby us. Learn the material or suffer the consequences.

2. Yes, we have milestone exams. Again, I don't understand what the big deal is. While the first few "practice" exams have some minute details and formulas to memorize, the exam that actually counts is extremely broad. If you don't pass it, you really don't deserve to be a pharmacist yet because clearly the material hasn't been retained!

3. There are many semesters that you will take 10+ classes, but I believe I only had one semester that had 18 hours or more. Again, this program is hard, but absolutely doable. You will potentially have to study most weekends, but most students would say there is still plenty of time for a social life.

4. Finally, the comments on the student body were ridiculous. I have made absolutely WONDERFUL friends in pharmacy school. Life-long friends, even. UTCOP takes its interview very seriously and most people who enter the program have honor, integrity, and a real sense of desire to help others. Enough said.

OK that's all I got. I hope the negativity from the quoted post does not deter any future pharmacy students from deciding on UT. It has been an amazing 4 years and I know I will always look back on these years fondly. Go horns!

Last edited:
Yeah the curriculum is very doable, plenty of time to go out on the weekends and socialize. As long as join certain organizations that share the old exams, etc. I know current P1s who still have the Pharmacy Admin exam that was suppose to stop being circulated YEARS ago. But hey anything you got to do to get to the top right?

As for the underclassmen who have replied, just wait till P3 fall. See if you still feel the same. It is easy to say how important retention is now, it is a whole other thing when you have a PT exam every other week over 20 hours of lecture material on top of all your other courses. As for the 2nd chance to pass the material on the final, don't forget to mention that this is while still having to pass a separate exam on the new material given at the same time, plus the comprehensive portion. So don't make it sound like you have time to sit down and focus, and are graded only on the failed material, you don't.

Just thought someone should be honest with the hopefuls. It might be a negative view, but it is honest.

Thank you MadMax87. I think that was a lot of good advice. Reading through your post calmed me down a bit as well as gave me direction on the interview.

It's great that UT students are bothered by TrueUT's "negative" review since it means a lot of people seem to like their school... however I'm thankful for that "negative" review. If everyone told me UT was great, that wouldn't sound realistic. Besides, everyone has different experiences and as an applicant, it's nice hearing different views. Thank you to everyone who have shared their experience at UT.

ChEStud.
Interviews are typically 30 minutes and they can ask a lot of questions. From what I've seen, UT tends to focus on ethical questions or specific situation questions like "what would you do if a patient gives you a false script?" or about dispensing drugs that go against your moral (the most common would be birth control).

Does anyone have information on the group discussion with the ethical question? Like how many people will be in each "discussion group" and how it will be conducted?

This whole group interview thing is confusing. So the interviewers are going to ask questions about anything and a group of interviewees have to discuss? Someone want to clarify the definition or logistics behind a group interview. Maybe my nerves are kicking in a week in advance :scared:

I emailed one of the admission committee members about the group discussion and he said he can't release any info to be fair to everyone.

Based on the group discussion experience at U of Houston, I'm guessing you'll be in a group of 6-8. They'll most likely throw you a question (which UT has clarified it will be an ethical question) and your group will have to come to a consensus on the answer. At U of Houston, we were asked to write it down but I've heard some schools have the group do a small presentation (nothing fancy obviously). The difficult part will be to be logical with your ideas and talk while everyone is trying to talk at the same time (to look good) without being rude.

Now that both batches of the interviewed are done ie interviews are done... how did everyone do?

I think I did okay. I mean, if I made mistakes I wouldn't know -_- I looked up previous questions on SDN feedback section which helped me a lot. I did get caught off guard when the interviewer asked me what I thought about Obamacare. I er... forgot what it was... *face palms* I feel like whether I did well in the interview will depend on how the interviewers interpreted my answers. I came home and realized I could've answered all the questions much better, but too late now.

Group interview was interesting. Thankfully there was nobody in our group that was truly obnoxious. I think I may have been slightly passive during the discussion but I did well in summarizing our discussion and leading the presentation. So it kinda depends on what they decide to focus on.

Candidate watching was fun. It was kinda interesting to see what outfits everyone picked out. And everyone was well... different. I'm sure we all look similar on paper, so it was kinda amusing to me.

For those of you that want to know, I have heard from Dr. Wilcox (associate dean) that we'll get answers back by end of February. So I guess we all just wait now.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that both batches of the interviewed are done ie interviews are done... how did everyone do?

I think I did okay. I mean, if I made mistakes I wouldn't know -_- I looked up previous questions on SDN feedback section which helped me a lot. I did get caught off guard when the interviewer asked me what I thought about Obamacare. I er... forgot what it was... *face palms* I feel like whether I did well in the interview will depend on how the interviewers interpreted my answers. I came home and realized I could've answered all the questions much better, but too late now.

Group interview was interesting. Thankfully there was nobody in our group that was truly obnoxious. I think I may have been slightly passive during the discussion but I did well in summarizing our discussion and leading the presentation. So it kinda depends on what they decide to focus on.

Candidate watching was fun. It was kinda interesting to see what outfits everyone picked out. And everyone was well... different. I'm sure we all look similar on paper, so it was kinda amusing to me.

For those of you that want to know, I have heard from Dr. Wilcox (associate dean) that we'll get answers back by end of February. So I guess we all just wait now.....

I didn't get the Obamacare question, but did you guys email your interviewers a thank you email?

I did. If you manage to remember the name of the people that interviewed you, you can go to the UT directory to find their email info. If you got nervous and forgot their name etc, I think you can email the admission office and ask. Just say something like I'd like to know the names/emails of my interviewers so I can send a thank you letter."

We should start hearing answers back tomorrow! If I remember right, they said between the 14th and 28th I'm getting antsy haha.

We should start hearing answers back tomorrow! If I remember right, they said between the 14th and 28th I'm getting antsy haha.

I'm expecting closer to the 28th. My interview didn't go so well, so the later the better in my case! :laugh:

I thought it would be around the 22rd. I figured schools like to give themselves about a week's worth of buffer cushion. But I'm just guessing here.

I'm not sure if they meant first batch of acceptance will go out on 14th or first batch will go out sometime between 14th and 28th... but I'm so nervous it's really hard. I just heard that they'd send out acceptance letter before end of February.

Good luck to everyone.

Last edited:
I will just post what we were told in my session. We were told that the committee will first meet on the 13th, then take 2-3 days to start calling and informing those candidates discussed on the 13th. The remaining candidates will be discussed on the 20th, and once again, it will take 2-3 days to start making calls. Take the information for what it's worth. There were 6 sessions, so who knows what each was told.

I will just post what we were told in my session. We were told that the committee will first meet on the 13th, then take 2-3 days to start calling and informing those candidates discussed on the 13th. The remaining candidates will be discussed on the 20th, and once again, it will take 2-3 days to start making calls. Take the information for what it's worth. There were 6 sessions, so who knows what each was told.

Yeah, that's what my session was told to. Nobody has heard anything yet, today? Nervous!

Has anyone found out if they have been accepted yet??? I am getting nervous too!!

Has anyone checked the application status on UT Direct? My residency for tuition states that I'm a non-resident of Texas. I know for sure that I gained my residency during my first year of college. Has anyone else had the same problem? I thought it was odd that they didn't have any residency questionnaires for the supplemental application.

I imagine if people had already been accepted, you'd see it on this thread … numerous times. We all need to be patient. It could be weeks for all we know, so don't fret. Good luck

Does anybody know if there will be a way for accepted applicants to find roommates from the pharmacy school? Thanks!

I hear once you are accepted you can join the facebook group for your class. You can find roommates there but I've seen people find roommates on this forum as well. I'd think the fb group is a better option since you can click on their profile and get a better feel for who they are and how well they would get along with you. But up to you.

I hear once you are accepted you can join the facebook group for your class. You can find roommates there but I've seen people find roommates on this forum as well. I'd think the fb group is a better option since you can click on their profile and get a better feel for who they are and how well they would get along with you. But up to you.

Thank you!!

I can now confirm calls are being made to applicants discussed in the first session :) ... good luck! I look forward to meeting everyone.

Just received a call from "Austin, TX" about half an hour ago, I cannot describe how happy I am now! :love::love::love:

I just received a phone call from Dr. Wilcox! Congrats class of 2017!

Does anyone know if the calls are going out all throughout the day today?

Congrats everyone whose gotten a phone call so far!

:love::love::love::love:

I know people are getting their acceptance's now, but if we have an acceptance deadline to somewhere else before the end of the "accepting cycle of UT austin," (the 28th right?) Would it be rude to email them telling them this and wondering about your status? I only ask cause UT is my first choice, but if I don't get in there I don't want to lose my chance at my backup by waiting too long. If you think its ok to email them, what do you think I should say/ask in my email?

I was wondering the same thing...Let me know if you do call them what they say! I've read on past forums that they review those that rank higher, according to GPA, PCAT, Interview, etc, first. So if we don't get a call today then we may have been lower but still have a good chance!

I know people are getting their acceptance's now, but if we have an acceptance deadline to somewhere else before the end of the "accepting cycle of UT austin," (the 28th right?) Would it be rude to email them telling them this and wondering about your status? I only ask cause UT is my first choice, but if I don't get in there I don't want to lose my chance at my backup by waiting too long. If you think its ok to email them, what do you think I should say/ask in my email?

I would be patient and avoid such an email/call. I would not call it rude, but slightly pushy. I understand your dilemma. I ran into this early on with deadlines at UNC and Ohio State, as I'm sure many others did. Personally, I paid the deposit at one of the accepting institutions and waited to hear from UT, which is home. I realize you have a slightly better situation, since you could hear from UT prior to your deadline, but if you don't hear from them in time, I would seriously consider paying to hold your seat and waiting on UT. Losing money isn't fun, but this process can be a gamble. It's up to you ... If you cannot afford holding a seat or just dislike the thought of losing money, proceed with your plan, but I would do so cautiously and tactfully. Good luck and Hook Em

I thought I was out after the interview (I made a few silly mistakes and was so down the rest of the time during the process). Still a bit of lingering hope but was preparing myself for the bad news.
I cannot believe my eyes!!!! I'm in!
Good luck to everyone still waiting for a response. Maybe you did better than you thought and will be in just like me! http://edge.studentdoctor.net/images/smilies/lovey.gif

I thought I was out after the interview (I made a few silly mistakes and was so down the rest of the time during the process). Still a bit of lingering hope but was preparing myself for the bad news.
Good luck to everyone still waiting for a response. Maybe you did better than you thought and will be in just like me! http://edge.studentdoctor.net/images/smilies/lovey.gif

When did you get your phone call?

Same, my interviewer was really critical. But I just got an acceptance e-mail! Wonder why they called some people and e-mailed others? Either way, I'm happy! Good luck to everyone else!!

Last edited: