University of the Incarnate Word Feik School of Pharmacy Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just recieved an E-mail today for Interview from UIW, can someone tell me how I can prepare for interview?

Does it make any different which day I choose March 20th or 27th?!

The best way to prepare for an interview is to PRACTICE. On SDN there's a section where students provided examples of interview questions they were asked (sorry my brain is too fried right now to look where it is). I used the examples from that database to practice. Have someone ask you so you can practice. On the actual interview day just to relax. I know it's hard but remember you're halfway there. The school is interested in you. Just be yourself. Be confident. And make sure you're dressed in business suits. I saw a couple of students today who were not dressed appropriately. Good luck!:D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, usually about 225 people out of all the applicants, which is about 550 (estimates)

Wow! This threat is really picking up! Awesome! :)

I definitely agree with SMRX, just be yourself. Just remember that they are not trying to "stump" you with their questions. The just want to see if you would fit in with the university and just get to know who you really are.

Congrats to everyone who has an interview so far!

Those who are waiting, don't get discouraged, they are still sorting through their pile.

How did everyone like going through PharmCAS for the application this year?

I think going through PharmCas made it a lot quicker since I was already using it to apply to other schools. Having the school use pharmcas will make it more competitive becuz all ppl gotta do is check the box next to the school and ure done!

I personally DIDNT prefer pharmcas...its quite helpful if you are applying to other pharmcas schools besides UIW, but for me i would like dealing directly with the school rather than going through a mediator!!

I received an interview invitation tonight!!!!! I'm interviewing on the 27th! I am so excited! :laugh:
Does anyone know how many applicants they interview? Is it around 200?

i was told that there will be approximately 250 interviewees on the day i interviewed (march 6th). out of the ~250, 100 applicants will be granted acceptance letters which will be mailed out on may 1st. good luck!

i was told that there will be approximately 250 interviewees on the day i interviewed (march 6th). out of the ~250, 100 applicants will be granted acceptance letters which will be mailed out on may 1st. good luck!

Are you serious? They interviewed 250 ppl on that date?? That number sounds really big for just one interview day....

Are you serious? They interviewed 250 ppl on that date?? That number sounds really big for just one interview day....

Sorry it's been a while for me, cardio PT and a disease state management project have been eating all of my time up. 250 is the total number over all of the interview dates. They usually interview about 65 or so per interview day. Oh, and take SMRX's advice, WEAR A SUIT! I can't say enough how important it is that you dress in a business suit (which means a dark suit) for your interview. This sets you apart from those that show up in just a shirt with no tie and tan pants that are not dress pants. Any of the P1's or myself will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have, just hit us up.

I believe it was 250 total. (Otherwise it would be close to 1000 student interviewed:eek:)

To the native san antonions, have u ever had to evacuate from your homes? How is the weather like year-round? I dont want to get caught in a tornado like Dorothy hehehe.

Members don't see this ad :)
YES!! Finally my first interview invite!!!

I got an invite for march 20th or 27th!! I'm stoked!!!

To the native san antonions, have u ever had to evacuate from your homes? How is the weather like year-round? I dont want to get caught in a tornado like Dorothy hehehe.

I remember one time when I was about 8-10 years old a small tornado touched down lol. Buy lots of shorts and sandals and you will be fine. :D Well, remember that at UIW you have to wear business professional clothes the days you dont have labs.

The weather here is hot for the most part of the year. Its March and its basically shorts weather now.

Where are you from thinking this is Dorothy weather down here?

YES!! Finally my first interview invite!!!

I got an invite for march 20th or 27th!! I'm stoked!!!

Congratulations! I've been rooting for you. See, your 57 pcat didn't hold you back. BTW, did you retake it, or was that the score you used?

And FWIW, I have been accepted to 2 schools with my 56.

Congratulations! I've been rooting for you. See, your 57 pcat didn't hold you back. BTW, did you retake it, or was that the score you used?

Nice job! Which do you like out of those two? And what have you decided about UIW?

Nice job! Which do you like out of those two? And what have you decided about UIW?

Thanks! I like both of them very much and they are quite similar in that they are the only 2 schools in the country, that I know of, that have a lot of group work and grade you on your individual work and then as a group.

Still on the fence about UIW. It would only be a 2.5-3 hour drive to get there, so we're only talking about costs of driving there. It just about comes down to the cal based physics. Do I really want to take that this summer? That's if my school will offer it during the summer. I go to a community college. They haven't released the schedule for the summer yet. I still have until next Monday to make my decision. Another thing to consider is that I was just accepted to a fully accredited program, so do I even want to take on the risk of attending a more expensive candidate school? I wish these decisions weren't so tough! :confused:

Thanks! I like both of them very much and they are quite similar in that they are the only 2 schools in the country, that I know of, that have a lot of group work and grade you on your individual work and then as a group.

Still on the fence about UIW. It would only be a 2.5-3 hour drive to get there, so we're only talking about costs of driving there. It just about comes down to the cal based physics. Do I really want to take that this summer? That's if my school will offer it during the summer. I go to a community college. They haven't released the schedule for the summer yet. I still have until next Monday to make my decision. Another thing to consider is that I was just accepted to a fully accredited program, so do I even want to take on the risk of attending a more expensive candidate school? I wish these decisions weren't so tough! :confused:

Well I know Wingate is in North Carolina, but which part of NC? I love that area alot.

I thought UIW was accredited already? Doesnt it state that on their website?

I know what you mean about the cal based physics..that does suck alot. For UT I have to take calculus II which bites hard. Another hoop...

Well I know Wingate is in North Carolina, but which part of NC? I love that area alot.

I thought UIW was accredited already? Doesnt it state that on their website?

I know what you mean about the cal based physics..that does suck alot. For UT I have to take calculus II which bites hard. Another hoop...

UIW is in candidate status with the ACPE.

It is in Wingate, NC. Does that help? JC :) It is about 30 miles SE of Charlotte.

I didn't realize that UT added cal II to their prereqs. Did they start that for this fall?

UIW is in candidate status with the ACPE.

It is in Wingate, NC. Does that help? JC :) It is about 30 miles SE of Charlotte.

I didn't realize that UT added cal II to their prereqs. Did they start that for this fall?

Okay so the eastern side of the state. thats cool

Yea I should clarify that, even though this is the UIW thread there might be someone who sees this and panics. I don't think its necessarily a pre-req, its just the Dean said the Cal 1 class I had at my undergrad didn't fulfill their calculus requirement of the course having a 1/3 of it at least being about integration. So now I will have to take a Cal II class.

Thanks!! I ended up using my 57, I'm just glad I got an interview so I can show them I'm more than just a PCAT score.

And your 56 gives me hope!! Thanks again!

CONGRATS cdhoward...thts awesome...like they say where there is a will there is a way!!!

Okay so the eastern side of the state. thats cool

Yea I should clarify that, even though this is the UIW thread there might be someone who sees this and panics. I don't think its necessarily a pre-req, its just the Dean said the Cal 1 class I had at my undergrad didn't fulfill their calculus requirement of the course having a 1/3 of it at least being about integration. So now I will have to take a Cal II class.

That makes sense. They already require genetics. I just thought, wow, they sure are trying to limit the applicants!

Thanks!! I ended up using my 57, I'm just glad I got an interview so I can show them I'm more than just a PCAT score.

And your 56 gives me hope!! Thanks again!

Just go in there and nail the interview. Good luck! :luck:

CONGRATS cdhoward...thts awesome...like they say where there is a will there is a way!!!

Thanks! I must say, I surprised even myself. Just to listen to people here on SDN, you would think I wouldn't even have been invited to any interviews.

Thanks! I must say, I surprised even myself. Just to listen to people here on SDN, you would think I wouldn't even have been invited to any interviews.

Yeah!!!! good for you!
What are your thoughts with Regis now, and are you going to interview at UIW?
We're in the same boat, but I'm still waffling on both of those things!

Super happy for you!

lol.. i am so sorry for the confusion. i'm pretty bad when it comes to explaining things. there were ~50 people interviewed the day of my interview. the total would be ~250. sorry again!!!

1. Your personal interview with members of the Admissions Committee of the Feik School of Pharmacy (approximately 20 minutes)
2. A spontaneous writing sample (approximately 30 minutes)
3. An internet-based critical thinking skills exam (approximately 45 minutes – 1 hour)

Will you have two separate 1 on 1 interviews, or will it be one 2 on 1 interview?

And what is this internet-based critical thinking skills exam?

1. Your personal interview with members of the Admissions Committee of the Feik School of Pharmacy (approximately 20 minutes)
2. A spontaneous writing sample (approximately 30 minutes)
3. An internet-based critical thinking skills exam (approximately 45 minutes – 1 hour)

Will you have two separate 1 on 1 interviews, or will it be one 2 on 1 interview?

And what is this internet-based critical thinking skills exam?

It will be a 2 on 1 interview.

The internet-based critical thinking skills exam is made up of all sorts of random questions. There is no way to prepare for it. It's mostly based on your opinions. Some of the questions were from reading short articles where you have to say if what the person did was correct, incorrect and the reason why. They are all multiple choice.

Yeah!!!! good for you!
What are your thoughts with Regis now, and are you going to interview at UIW?
We're in the same boat, but I'm still waffling on both of those things!

Super happy for you!

Thanks! I appreciate it.

I'm leaning toward Wignate for a number of reasons. I didn't think I would, but putting the numbers on paper, it will save about 50K over 4 years.

I've just about decided against UIW, but I'll make my final decision on Friday after my finacee gets back from her cruise.

Does your school have an old schedule, say, from last year that u can look at? If they offered it last summer, they must offer it this summer as well. I took all my calc-based physics courses at community college... I had to take three semesters to transfer the units over to UCSD. So gluck with that!

And Texas, Im from SoCal so the weather is always nice here... my bf told me that he recently heard on the news that there were tornadoes going around there and i was like, whatttttt? Ok, I dont have to bring my red slippers then.. or whatever dorothy was wearing.

Does your school have an old schedule, say, from last year that u can look at? If they offered it last summer, they must offer it this summer as well. I took all my calc-based physics courses at community college... I had to take three semesters to transfer the units over to UCSD. So gluck with that!

And Texas, Im from SoCal so the weather is always nice here... my bf told me that he recently heard on the news that there were tornadoes going around there and i was like, whatttttt? Ok, I dont have to bring my red slippers then.. or whatever dorothy was wearing.

The further south you are, the less likely you are to have a tornado. Not to say that San Antonio can't have a tornado. Don't let tornados bother you. I've lived here for 30 years and I've only been close to one. And by close, I mean within a mile. You also have advanced warnings that the potential to develop is there. Tornados are very isolated and not widespread and most are considered to be minor tornados with very little structural damage.

I no longer have a copy of last year's schedule. I could ask at school for an old copy if it were available, but the campus is closed for spring break this week. The physics course is the only major course I would need. I will still need to take two other courses as well. If I end up going to Wingate, I will not need to take any more courses. So, there are a lot of things to consider.

I had the same issue about transferring my math credits to UCSD. I took 2 semesters of calculus (engineering based), but ended up taking an extra quarter of Math 1C at UCSD to fulfill my math requirement. Darn it, I should have taken Physics 2 series here at SD because I didn't take Physics at my CC at all, so I can apply to UIW.

The further south you are, the less likely you are to have a tornado. Not to say that San Antonio can't have a tornado. Don't let tornados bother you. I've lived here for 30 years and I've only been close to one. And by close, I mean within a mile. You also have advanced warnings that the potential to develop is there. Tornados are very isolated and not widespread and most are considered to be minor tornados with very little structural damage.

I no longer have a copy of last year's schedule. I could ask at school for an old copy if it were available, but the campus is closed for spring break this week. The physics course is the only major course I would need. I will still need to take two other courses as well. If I end up going to Wingate, I will not need to take any more courses. So, there are a lot of things to consider.

Aren't the old schedules posted online? You are freaking me out about tornadoes!! :scared: 3 schools that offered me interviews so far are located in the Midwest (or Tornado Alley). We actually had several twister scares here in SoCal, but they're probably nothing compared to yours.

Ha yea dorothy was wearing the ruby red slippers. You won't need those, but I'm sure all of you in Cali see pictures of Texas, so you better make sure you wear your cowboy boots to lab! haha

Aren't the old schedules posted online? You are freaking me out about tornadoes!! :scared: 3 schools that offered me interviews so far are located in the Midwest (or Tornado Alley). We actually had several twister scares here in SoCal, but they're probably nothing compared to yours.

They only go back through... get this... this spring. You can't even see last fall's schedule now. It was printed, but who uses those printed schedules to put your classes together?

Part of Texas is still part of Tornado Alley, but of course, we are not as active as the Midwest.

I am interviewing there on the 27th!!! I'm excited to go to Whataburger:D:D

I had the same issue about transferring my math credits to UCSD. I took 2 semesters of calculus (engineering based), but ended up taking an extra quarter of Math 1C at UCSD to fulfill my math requirement. Darn it, I should have taken Physics 2 series here at SD because I didn't take Physics at my CC at all, so I can apply to UIW.

WTH? Twisters in SoCal? Where exactly are u from cuz nothing happens in SD... just sunny weather and occasionally, a "storm" which is just rain. Oh yea, and fires. But no twisters!

WTH? Twisters in SoCal? Where exactly are u from cuz nothing happens in SD... just sunny weather and occasionally, a "storm" which is just rain. Oh yea, and fires. But no twisters!

I go to SD for school, but I technically live in the OC. We had one in El Toro (which isn't too far from Irvine) a long time ago, another one in Anaheim (that's where I live...they were thinking it was a microburst or something like that, but still), funnel clouds and waterspouts in Long Beach/Huntington Beach, and one more near Moreno Valley (forgot where, somewhere toward that direction).

Wow thats crazy! Haha so SD really does have the best weather! =P I hope it isnt too bad up there though.. cuz they arent making a "splash" down here. No news of that stuff so I'm in the dark.

Wow thats crazy! Haha so SD really does have the best weather! =P I hope it isnt too bad up there though.. cuz they arent making a "splash" down here. No news of that stuff so I'm in the dark.

Overall, the weather for both the OC and SD is nice. Twisters are rare, but we do sometimes get tornado warnings out of the sudden during heavy rains/thunderstorms. One time I got freaked out seeing a dust devil driving home. Are you originally from SD or do you go there for school?

I have an interview on the 20th which is coming up at INcarnate TX.
Those who been through the interview here , do you have any interview feedback for us?? :) I see there a couple questions back in 2006.

also, what was the name of the hotel that only 8 minutes away from the school? :)
part of the interview process:
the computer skill type of questions is that a psychological type of question to see how you are or is more like academic question such as biology/chemistry/math etc. like PCAT does anyone know?

I want to prepare it emotionally hihihi

thank you

How much tuition do you pay for your 4th year rotations? Is it billed as 2 semesters or 3?

I was just accepted into OU, and will decline the invt. on March 20th. Good luck everyone!~

I declined my interview for the 20th as well. Hopefully this will help out someone on here who is waiting for an invite.

I have an interview on the 20th which is coming up at INcarnate TX.
Those who been through the interview here , do you have any interview feedback for us?? :) I see there a couple questions back in 2006.

also, what was the name of the hotel that only 8 minutes away from the school? :)
part of the interview process:
the computer skill type of questions is that a psychological type of question to see how you are or is more like academic question such as biology/chemistry/math etc. like PCAT does anyone know?

I want to prepare it emotionally hihihi

thank you

Questions I was asked in my interview were:
1. Why Feik School of Pharmacy?
2. I struggled more in Chemistry, how was I going to address this issue and excel in pharmacy school?
3. What are my strengths and weakness?
4. Tell me about yourself.
5. Why pharmacy?

I was really blessed. My interview went great and after leaving I felt really confident. The critical skills test is nothing like the PCAT. From what I remember, it was more of a thinking question. Giving a certain scenario what would I do. Or it would ask me to recall facts after reading a story. In all honesty, there is no way to practice for the critical skills test. Don't worry about that. Just make sure you get enough sleep so your mind is sharp!

About the tuition for 4th year, I'm not sure. I'm a P1 but I can ask my friends that are P3 (we don't have P4 class yet).

For those who have interviews next fri good luck! You'll probably see me (and some other P1s) since we don't have any exams that day (I think lol).

Btw, there is a La Quinta Inn hotel right across from the airport, which is still close to school. I stayed in it a couple of years ago and it was pretty clean. If anyone needs help with hotels, feel free to ask!

and where do you do your rotations?

The rotations are done all over the place. Depending on which ones you pick, you may or may not have one of the assistant professors as your preceptor. I think on the website somewhere there is a breakdown of what rotations you will do. I know there are four that you have no choice on, two more you have a choice of four and the last one you have a choice of seven. But don't worry about that now, just focus on getting in first. Once you've crossed that hurdle, then you can look at what type of rotations you are interested in.