University of the People MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of talk about the free Smartly MBA and the lower cost EMBA, but does anyone have experience with the tuition free University of the People MBA?

It seems that the issue with Smartly is the lack of accreditation. University of the People is nationally accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC) which is not an uncommon accreditation for online degrees. The DEAC and is recognized by Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the United States Department of Education, etc. However, this is a national accreditation. The issue here is lack of the more standard regional accreditation, but I imagine that this is difficult for any school that exists online rather than a specific region of the United States. It also lacks program accreditation like the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business), or other less prestigious but similar accreditors of business degrees. This doesn't seem very uncommon for online programs either. The bottom line is that the University of the People MBA does have reach the minimal bar of actual accreditation in the United States, but not much more.

There is the issue of cost. Where the original Smartly MBA is actually free, the University of the People MBA is only *tuition* free, and the fees are about $2500 for the degree. However, this is far less than the Smartly EMBA which lacks any accreditation at all.

The name is the other issue. It seems like a weird name to put on your CV, "University of the People".

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

There's a lot of talk about the free Smartly MBA and the lower cost EMBA, but does anyone have experience with the tuition free University of the People MBA?

It seems that the issue with Smartly is the lack of accreditation. University of the People is nationally accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC) which is not an uncommon accreditation for online degrees. The DEAC and is recognized by Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the United States Department of Education, etc. However, this is a national accreditation. The issue here is lack of the more standard regional accreditation, but I imagine that this is difficult for any school that exists online rather than a specific region of the United States. It also lacks program accreditation like the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business), or other less prestigious but similar accreditors of business degrees. This doesn't seem very uncommon for online programs either. The bottom line is that the University of the People MBA does have reach the minimal bar of actual accreditation in the United States, but not much more.

There is the issue of cost. Where the original Smartly MBA is actually free, the University of the People MBA is only *tuition* free, and the fees are about $2500 for the degree. However, this is far less than the Smartly EMBA which lacks any accreditation at all.

The name is the other issue. It seems like a weird name to put on your CV, "University of the People".

What do you think?

Smarty isn't accredited and it has a funny name as well. I wouldn't do it unless it was free. UofPeople is roughly 2600 which is 1/3 of what you would pay for a formal MBA. Georgia Southwestern State has both regional and AACSB accreditation (AACSB is no longer recognized by the U.S. government as a formal accrediting body) and it is less than 8k. Anyways, its a personal choice. No one will probably care where you got your MBA from unless its the top 20.

Western Govenors Univesrity has an online MBA with regional institutional accreditation and the less prestigious ACBSP program accreditation (as apposed to the older more prestigious AACSB accreditation). It's like 4K a semester. If you do it in a year, 8K.

Members don't see this ad :)
Western Govenors Univesrity has an online MBA with regional institutional accreditation and the less prestigious ACBSP program accreditation (as apposed to the older more prestigious AACSB accreditation). It's like 4K a semester. If you do it in a year, 8K.

I was in the GSW-MBA program but I just dropped my courses. I was spending around $1800 for two classes and one of the courses was not worth it for me. It just bothered me that I was paying out of pocket for this and could be using the money for something else worthwhile. I'm gone to try UoPeople since its just throw away cash (2.5k) and I can still gain the knowledge. I already have a BS in business with the AACSB accreditation and honestly, no one cares. You just need it accredited for legal reasons. Some states won't let you put M.B.A. on your resume without the school being accredited. You can't even put (.edu) at the end of the website if it's not accredited. For instance, smartly isn't smartly.edu. Its "smart.ly." because its not accredited; as opposed to Uopeople.edu.

If your going into Hospital admin, then maybe it will matter, or maybe not. Update me on what you decided.

I was in the GSW-MBA program but I just dropped my courses. I was spending around $1800 for two classes and one of the courses was not worth it for me. It just bothered me that I was paying out of pocket for this and could be using the money for something else worthwhile. I'm gone to try UoPeople since its just throw away cash (2.5k) and I can still gain the knowledge. I already have a BS in business with the AACSB accreditation and honestly, no one cares. You just need it accredited for legal reasons. Some states won't let you put M.B.A. on your resume without the school being accredited. You can't even put (.edu) at the end of the website if it's not accredited. For instance, smartly isn't smartly.edu. Its "smart.ly." because its not accredited; as opposed to Uopeople.edu.

If your going into Hospital admin, then maybe it will matter, or maybe not. Update me on what you decided.

I'm leaning toward University of the People becuase I'd like to support the idea of affordable education. Also, I can do it at any pace.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm leaning toward University of the People becuase I'd like to support the idea of affordable education. Also, I can do it at any pace.
So I ended up applying to UoPeople and will be starting in Term 2. I think my organization will reimburse me up to 2K for CE a year so I plan on using that up. I'll just look at this as Management CE and the plus side is a formal degree. Anyways, from what I'm reading Uopeople is doable. Its broken down into 6 terms a year with 12 courses total, one being a capstone. Its possible to take just two courses a term and finishing up within 1 year, plus its mostly project based with little to no exams. Don't be surprised, I've read Harvard's MBA is mostly case based discussions anyways. I've attached the catalog. You can see who is on the board of directors and many are from good business programs. Hopefully, I'll see you in November when classes start.

Attachments

• UoPeople-Graduate-Catalog-AY2019.compressed.pdf
    594.5 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
So I ended up applying to UoPeople and will be starting in Term 2. I think my organization will reimburse me up to 2K for CE a year so I plan on using that up. I'll just look at this as Management CE and the plus side is a formal degree. Anyways, from what I'm reading Uopeople is doable. Its broken down into 6 terms a year with 12 courses total, one being a capstone. Its possible to take just two courses a term and finishing up within 1 year, plus its mostly project based with little to no exams. Don't be surprised, I've read Harvard's MBA is mostly case based discussions anyways. I've attached the catalog. You can see who is on the board of directors and many are from good business programs. Hopefully, I'll see you in November when classes start.

I actually applied about a month ago just in case I decided to go. Classes started today, and I'm excited to see how it goes!

Reactions: 1 user
I actually applied about a month ago just in case I decided to go. Classes started today, and I'm excited to see how it goes!
Update me on how the first term goes buddy. There is an facebook group for MBA students at UoPeople. It has like 780 or so members. There is some good pearls in there.

Did you have to pay upfront for the course or do you pay at the end?

Did you have to pay upfront for the course or do you pay at the end?

I've only paid the $60 application fee so far. I'm taking the oranizational theory class now. I think I pay when I take the test at the end of the class.

Update me on how the first term goes buddy. There is an facebook group for MBA students at UoPeople. It has like 780 or so members. There is some good pearls in there.

I'll check out the facebook group! The first class, organizational theory, is harder than I expected, and I think overall the program will be very useful for my future.

I'll update as I go along, and perhaps include a full review of the entire program at some point.

I've only paid the $60 application fee so far. I'm taking the oranizational theory class now. I think I pay when I take the test at the end of the class.

I'll check out the facebook group! The first class, organizational theory, is harder than I expected, and I think overall the program will be very useful for my future.

I'll update as I go along, and perhaps include a full review of the entire program at some point.

If you could, can you send me the syllabus for that class? I want to check it out before I enroll in November.

Hey @Toothbud84, did you complete the course? I am also thinking of taking this MBA!