University of Toledo MSBS 2011-2012 (SMP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ninjasoldier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just turned in my application and noticed that no one else has started a thread about this. I know it is early but what the heck. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I just turned in my application and noticed that no one else has started a thread about this. I know it is early but what the heck. Good luck everyone!

I'm applying this year as well...Don't know how I feel about the ~44K OOS tuition...Does the 1-year of SMP qualify one to obtain In-state status for Toledo's Med school?

I am no expert but from what I have heard the post bacc year should be good enough to qualify you as an Ohio-resident. This is because after a certain age you are basically considered as an independent and it doesnt really matter where you live or where you are from. As long as you live in a state for a year, you are in. And you will live here for a year by the time you get into med school so you can call yourself an Ohio Resident in your application to med school. But double check.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am no expert but from what I have heard the post bacc year should be good enough to qualify you as an Ohio-resident. This is because after a certain age you are basically considered as an independent and it doesnt really matter where you live or where you are from. As long as you live in a state for a year, you are in. And you will live here for a year by the time you get into med school so you can call yourself an Ohio Resident in your application to med school. But double check.

I found this rather informative webpage about Ohio residency status (It's for Ohio U but applies to other schools as well)...From what I understand, you have to have a full time job during the first 12 months in order to apply for in-state residency, regardless of whether you are also a full-time student....>_<

http://www.ohio.edu/admissions/residency/faq.cfm

yea, I see what you mean. If you are not receiving support from your parents and consider urself independent it might work? But I feel like there is ways around this rule. Hopefully, OOS students who have participated in this program will have something to say later on. As of now you should apply and see what info u run into. gluck

I'm applying this year as well...Don't know how I feel about the ~44K OOS tuition...Does the 1-year of SMP qualify one to obtain In-state status for Toledo's Med school?

i am also in the process of appplying here. I believe when I spoke to the admissions office @ u of toledo, i was told that after one yr oos students are considered in-state.

hey guys when is the program deadline? i looked everywhere? appreciate the help :)

I'm applying to this as well and hope to get the chance to improve my GPA! If someone gets accepted, if they wouldn't mind posting stats so we can all get a sense of the admissions criteria. Wish you all the best!

Hey folks,

I'm a current student in the MSBS-MS program at UT, and am OOS. You can obtain Ohio residency after one year of living in the state, provided you fulfill a set of criteria such as obtaining an Ohio Driver's License, registering to vote, and a few others.

If you have any questions about the program, feel free to message me. We just started neuroscience, so I'm going to be pretty busy, but I'll get to your questions as soon as I can.

Hey folks,

I'm a current student in the MSBS-MS program at UT, and am OOS. You can obtain Ohio residency after one year of living in the state, provided you fulfill a set of criteria such as obtaining an Ohio Driver's License, registering to vote, and a few others.

If you have any questions about the program, feel free to message me. We just started neuroscience, so I'm going to be pretty busy, but I'll get to your questions as soon as I can.

Hey Redwings,
I am also an OOS student and have applied to UT. Currently I am anxiously waiting to get a positive response. How is the program treating you?

Hey Redwings,
I am also an OOS student and have applied to UT. Currently I am anxiously waiting to get a positive response. How is the program treating you?

Well, I guess I'll be able to give the most definite answer when I get my decision letter, which will be at the end of May :)

If I do end up getting into the medical school, deciding to go into this program will have been one of the best decisions of my life. I love the way the program's structured and the school in general. I definitely don't regret doing MSBS, despite the hefty price tag that it comes with.

Well, I guess I'll be able to give the most definite answer when I get my decision letter, which will be at the end of May :)

If I do end up getting into the medical school, deciding to go into this program will have been one of the best decisions of my life. I love the way the program's structured and the school in general. I definitely don't regret doing MSBS, despite the hefty price tag that it comes with.

I wish you the very best for your medical career and hope that you get into UT Toledo MD program. I am waiting response from both RFU and UT. While I am really confused which school to pick, due to my extremely pleasant interaction with UT I find myself leaning towards it more. Hopefully they accept me soon :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey Redwings, I wish you the best of luck with getting into UT medical school. I just have a couple questions about the program so when you have time please do respond. My first question is that I feel like I have the qualifications to get into the MSBS program without much of a problem but I feel like these grades wont be enough to get me into the Medical school. Do you think if I do extremely well in the MSBS programs, my lower mcat and GPA wont hold me back from getting into UT medical school? Also how difficult do you think the classes/program are?

Hey Redwings, I wish you the best of luck with getting into UT medical school. I just have a couple questions about the program so when you have time please do respond. My first question is that I feel like I have the qualifications to get into the MSBS program without much of a problem but I feel like these grades wont be enough to get me into the Medical school. Do you think if I do extremely well in the MSBS programs, my lower mcat and GPA wont hold me back from getting into UT medical school? Also how difficult do you think the classes/program are?

Your undergraduate GPA will stay as is, but here you will get to take classes together with medical students. Your performance in these classes will be a far better indicator of how you'll do in med school than your performance in undergrad, so if you do well in them and show you can handle the med school curriculum, they'll probably forgive the fact that you might not have done well in, say, organic chemistry. However, when you meet with the advisors of the program, they might suggest that you retake your MCAT if it is really low...MCAT is a standardized test, and your ability to take standardized tests is gonna be crucial when the USMLE rears its head.

As far as class difficulty, the two med school courses are pretty tough. Block 1 is cell bio, which is basically a combination of cell/molecular bio, microanatomy, histology, biochemistry, and genetics. Lots of information, class 4-6 hours a day, and exams every 2-3 weeks, so it really requires keeping pace with (it's an 11 credit course!). We just started the other med school class, neuroscience, which is pretty complicated, but it's only 6 credits, so not quite as much stuff coming at you.

The other classes are grad school, and some of them are tough (anatomy and physiology can both be difficult), while others (biostats and epidemiology) are pretty easy, but in general you'll have a lot more free time with those.

Your undergraduate GPA will stay as is, but here you will get to take classes together with medical students. Your performance in these classes will be a far better indicator of how you'll do in med school than your performance in undergrad, so if you do well in them and show you can handle the med school curriculum, they'll probably forgive the fact that you might not have done well in, say, organic chemistry. However, when you meet with the advisors of the program, they might suggest that you retake your MCAT if it is really low...MCAT is a standardized test, and your ability to take standardized tests is gonna be crucial when the USMLE rears its head.

As far as class difficulty, the two med school courses are pretty tough. Block 1 is cell bio, which is basically a combination of cell/molecular bio, microanatomy, histology, biochemistry, and genetics. Lots of information, class 4-6 hours a day, and exams every 2-3 weeks, so it really requires keeping pace with (it's an 11 credit course!). We just started the other med school class, neuroscience, which is pretty complicated, but it's only 6 credits, so not quite as much stuff coming at you.

The other classes are grad school, and some of them are tough (anatomy and physiology can both be difficult), while others (biostats and epidemiology) are pretty easy, but in general you'll have a lot more free time with those.

Thanks RedWings, I might retake my MCAT before classes start but we shall c.

have any of you guys have heard back from MSBS U.Toledo for fall 11?

if not, when should we be expecting to hear back?

I haven't heard anything back except from the email I received in March, stating:

The Medical Sciences Review Committee will begin reviewing “Completed” applications April 1st

· Decisions will be made in May."

So we should start hearing from them soon.

Application deadline was apparently April 1st this year instead of May 1st. :( Anyway, you can check the status of your application on apply.utoledo.edu. Mine still says "Complete awaiting decision" but will update to rejection/waitlist/accept as decisions are made. To the above poster, I'm not where you got that info, but the tuition is definitely not free (for me it will be ~48k b/c I am OOS):thumbdown:.

their web says the deadline was May 1, except for the int'nl applicants, which was april 1.

i browsed through old posts on SDN abt this and it seems they don't reveal the decisions until middle june.

any updates on this?

They sent out an e-mail saying that they would start reviewing in April this year in order to give out May decisions.

I got the acceptance e-mail at 10:30 this morning. On Friday the 13th of all days... Still on the alternate list for the Med School but this is certainly a sigh of relief!

congratulations to all those who got in!!!!!!!!!

can you guys specify your program tracks as well?

For those that got in, do you guys remember when you were complete?

Hey guys, I'm also currently a student at the University of Toledo MSBS program. I feel that some of the advice that older students gave me last year helped me at different points in the year, and I'm willing to pass on the help. Please let me know if you have any questions through the forum or via PM. We find out at the end of this upcoming week regarding our decisions for med school, so there's definitely a lot of anxiety now:xf: Good luck with your apps, as well!:luck:

Hey guys, I'm also currently a student at the University of Toledo MSBS program. I feel that some of the advice that older students gave me last year helped me at different points in the year, and I'm willing to pass on the help. Please let me know if you have any questions through the forum or via PM. We find out at the end of this upcoming week regarding our decisions for med school, so there's definitely a lot of anxiety now:xf: Good luck with your apps, as well!:luck:

Hi Commondoc,

I was just wondering if this program is helpful in gaining acceptances at other medical schools? It seems like a huge bulk of the MSBS students go on to Toledo's med school afterwards, which is awesome, but have you heard of acceptances to schools outside of Ohio? Also, how many classes were you able to take alongside with medical students and did they grade on the same scale? And did they offer a committee letter or did you have to use letters from your undergraduate?

Thanks so much for offering your help and advice!! And good luck I hope you hear good news at the end of this week :D

Hey guys,
I am also an MSBS student. Currently most of us are finishing up our scholarly projects (you will heard about this later) and waiting to here this week about our acceptance status, but I wanted to be making a few comments. Last year I was also on the waiting list for UTCOM when I was accepted into the program. The list did not move too much what i found out from my frequent admissions calls and I really loved Toledo outta all the medical schools I interviewed at. To inform you guys on how the program really works, you start out with Block I with the M1 students (see above post for description of Block I by Red Wings). This last 11 weeks. Then you get a nice break and take regular graduate school courses (Epi, phys, anat/path, bio stats). These graduate school classes last until after SB at which point you will then rejoin the medical students for Neuroscience for another 10 weeks. As far as difficulty of material is concerned block one does not have difficult material just alot of volume (usually 6 hours a day of lecture like Red Wings says) but Neuroscience is a far more difficult course.

As far as grading goes the MSBS students are on different scale as far as how the grades will show up on the transcripts for the medical block courses (usually 85-100 is an A and so forth) and is standard for the graduate courses (90-100 is an A). BUT i would like to recommend you right now don't even pay attention to "getting an A" i would urge you to try to perfrom up to the M1 grading scale of Honors (90-100) High Pass (80-90) and Pass (70-80). I say this because at the end of the year the committee will get each individual exam to look at that you took with the M1 class and your letter grades from the graduate classes (seems the Block classes are of more importance but dont take my word for it). Unfortunately unlike the M1s where their ultimate goal is to learn this material as best as possible for future board exams we have the added pressure of need to perform on average as well as the medical students. So i would stress learning the Block material as well as possible for future boards but also remember they will see your scores.

Lastly, this was the best thing to ever happen to me as well. I have met soooo many new and cool people and If I could give three words of advice it would be to 1) just show the committee u can integrate into the UTCOM circulum and that you are trying to get involved in the UTCOM community 2) when you are done with the block courses don't get too stressed over the graduate courses just have alittle fun (I have traveled to Chicago, NYC, Atlanta, Panama City Beach, and Cincinnatti throughout the year while handling the course work very well) and 3) Learn as much as you can while in the blocks because what you earn there will ultimately appear again on the USMLE boards. (Also, don't stress about not having a stellar MCAT score i really didnt have a stellar one but i did just fine and have demonstrate a lot of good qualities this year which will have hopefully helped me get in....remember the USMLE and MCAT although standardized test are 2 completely different animals i kno a lot of kids who got in the range of 23-31 on their MCATS who have ranges of 99-70th percentiles on USMLE respectively)

If any of you guys have any questions you can PM me or just replay ill be happy to answer and help in anyway possible.

Peace Out and good luck hope to see you guys in the fall :D

Ditto to what DoctorBone said...

I also agree that this was an awesome program (although one should assume that a slight drift of this opinion to either side can occur after this Friday). Jokes aside, it definitely has been one of the best experiences of my life, as well.

To fictioneer's questions:

See what Dr Bone and Red Wings said about the coursework. Feel free to ask more questions about their answers or just other questions that might have come up. As far as getting in to out of state schools, I think it would be best if you came in with the mindset that you will be at Toledo for the next four years; it would also hinder you maybe from intregrating more with your class. In the MSBS class before ours, I believe 5/ (39?) ppl got into other schools and our program has at least 4/ 45 people who have gotten accepted to other schools. I'm also 90 percent sure that a majority of these were OOS schools. So, Yes IT IS POSSIBLE. Is it probable? Not so much...

Committee letters can take a long time to get to you. From one of my good friend's experience, this can mean multiple months. Therefore, I would advise you to stick with your undergrad committee letters to stay a competitive applicant at other places. Make sure to also update your other schools consistently throughout the year with any new grades or activities at Toledo. I know that just following the last statment was seemingly successful in helping my roomate and I receive multiple interview invitations. The process after the interviews, though, is history at least for me.

Hey guys. If anyone is looking for a roommate (male, fun and easy going) starting august feel free to pm me.

One other thing to add to what DrBone said above: This is obviously thinking far in advance for you guys, but another added bonus of the program is that, if you're accepted, you wouldn't have to retake the med school courses that you took in the program (i.e. Biochem and Neurosci). So, essentially, your first year of med school would be cut in half (you would just take CDM, Behavioral Science, and Anatomy). One way of looking at the program, then, is that if you're accepted and decide to attend UTCOM, you basically divide med school into five years rather than four, and specifically your first year is divided into two.

Let me know if you guys have any questions, as I'm sure many will arise closer to the start of the program. Best way is to pm me, as I don't check these forums too often and that way I'll be notified by email that you've messaged me, but if you reply here I should be able to get to it relatively soon as well.

Good luck!

Also, If anyone needs advice or help finding apts I know of some and may be of some help, and if anyone moves up here early you are more then welcome to get a hold of me because we are currently doing our research projects and tend to go out some nights with a good sized group of us from last years class. So if you want to meet any of us and ask us about the program you are more then welcome to. PM me if anybody needs nething or has ne questions.

Peace out!

Hey guys!
Have any acceptances been sent out since the last mid-May wave? I know we all are waiting anxiously so I was just wondering

Congrats to all those who have already gotten in!

For those of you who were accepted, what were your gpa's and MCATs if you don't mind me asking?

I have a 3.7 and a 29. I'm also high priority on the alternate list for UTCOM so hopefully I will be able to free up a spot in this program.

I emailed one of the people at the program to get a list of all the people that will be doing this program. Apparently there are still a lot of acceptances that are yet to be sent and the final class is not even close to be finalized. So there is still hope for those who are still waiting on acceptances so that's my 2cents. Goodluck and if someone starts a fbk group please let this thread know. Later

I just applied yesterday (got special permission from Dr. Lane)...he didn't seem thrilled with the applicant pool this year, but I could just be misinterpreting him....

Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

Past MSBS students who matriculated to Toledo MD, did you have to retake the 2 MD classes you took? If not, did it decrease your M1 tuition?

Dr. Lane told me you don't have to retake the classes, and I believe it decreased the tuition.

Past MSBS students who matriculated to Toledo MD, did you have to retake the 2 MD classes you took? If not, did it decrease your M1 tuition?

No, you do not have to retake the 2 MD classes. However, you still have to pay the M1 tuition in full (which sucks, but hey, at least you're in the med school!).

oh man really? I was under the impression you didn't have to pay for what you weren't taking :( oh well.

oh man really? I was under the impression you didn't have to pay for what you weren't taking :( oh well.

Yeah, you'd think so...but no. On my end, being OOS, I'll still notice a tremendous drop in tuition (i.e., each year of med school will actually cost me less than what the MSBS year did)...but to my knowledge, there's no getting around paying full tuition for M1 (besides scholarships, etc.).

I have heard there is a review committee next week (Hopefully acceptances), goodluck everyone!!

Ha, maybe they'll have my transcripts in time...probably not...

Did anyone else give them permission to access LoR on file with the med school? Do they just pick three at random?

hey guys this may seem like a silly question, I dont know much about the program. But do the majority of students apply to medical school during the program for admission directly after the MSBS year, or is there another gap year?

Also does anyone know approximately how many students get into UTCOM from the MSBS, and or how many students total get into medical school from the program?

and does anyone know how this program ranks up against Georgetown's SMP?

just got in today for the class of 2011!!!

good luck to everyone else who applied!!!

Sincerely,
Pitt kid