University of Toronto ... Biology program? HS senior looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FareedTareen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started my sr year in high school... and the time to start applying to schools will come soon, so I was wondering, does anyone know about how U of T's Biology program is?

I'm in Dallas right now, but I'll probably go back to Canada due to my citizenship there & I want to know which schools are a good choice in the long run when applying to dental school.

I am also considering a school in Michigan because it's close to my hometown, Windsor.

Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I just started my sr year in high school... and the time to start applying to schools will come soon, so I was wondering, does anyone know about how U of T's Biology program is?

I'm in Dallas right now, but I'll probably go back to Canada due to my citizenship there & I want to know which schools are a good choice in the long run when applying to dental school.

I am also considering a school in Michigan because it's close to my hometown, Windsor.

Thanks!
Wayne State University if you're considering Michigan.

Make sure to get the NEXUS card if you pursue MI.

Statistics for U of T FOD is rather disappointing.
http://www.dentistry.utoronto.ca/admissions/doctor-dental-surgery-dds/admission-statistics

Thanks!

Do NOT go to U of Toronto if you want a good chance at dental school. For your sake, don't do it. Western or York are much better options.

Just an fyi, they have mark caps for several courses to keep the class average at a low 60.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you plan on coming back to Canada, definitely go to Western. They give out A+'s and A's. I'm at a Canadian university and the best mark I can receive is an A. Therefore my gpa gets capped at 4.0. With Western, at least you can have a shot at getting above a 4.0.

Come to University of Western Ontario aka Western :)
Like 2thsaver said, UWO does give out A+ which is equivalent to 4.33 and A is 4.0
A is 80-90 and A+ is 90-100 so.. It's probably a better option over UofT if you want to consider dentistry

If you plan on coming back to Canada, definitely go to Western. They give out A+'s and A's. I'm at a Canadian university and the best mark I can receive is an A. Therefore my gpa gets capped at 4.0. With Western, at least you can have a shot at getting above a 4.0.
I go to Western. Although our school gives out percentages, they have a legend on the transcript with the corresponding letter grade for undergraduate. ADEA will use that legend to convert GPA. You could get a 4.33 based on ADEA AADSAS guidelines if you get a 90 or over on your transcript.
A+ 90 -100%
A 80-89%
B 70-79%
C 60-69%
D 50-59%
F below 50%

Last edited:
All right. I think I can give you the most unbiased insight on the Univ. of Toronto, as I graduated from Life Science Program there. (Yes. I went to the main campus and what I am going to describe to you concerns the Life Science/Biology Program at the Downtown Campus.

Pros: 1) The world-class faculty, couple of Nobel Prize Laureates, No.1 Canadian school in medicine, plenty of undergraduate research experience, one of few Canadian schools comparable to ivy-league colleges
2) Urban setting, lots of fun, more opportunities (ex. shadowing, volunteering, work position)
3) Multicultural student body: lots of chance to make international connection
4) Beautiful campus, high-tech buildings, 24-hour open libraries, good food

Cons (but can be pros)
1) Extremely huge first year courses (there were >1500 students in my 1st year biology class and we had a lecture in the colossium-looking lecture hall. It is really really tough to have your professor know about you in such a huge class)
2) Real example of "survival of the fittest": the tests are brutal. I mean... really. The vast majority of the first year course professors are required to make tests and exams in a way that the class average always stays C - C+. It gets better in 3rd and 4th years.
By the time you finish your second year, you will see many of your freshmen peers have transferred to other "easy" schools
3) Hard to balance GPA and extracurricular. Because the academic demand is so great, you might not want to spend too much time on extracurricular and jeopardize your GPA. The summer is usually spent on re-taking the courses you have dropped throughout the school year. Not much time to do research throughout the year.
4) The professors seem to be least caring about their students. Their main focus is research. Hard to reach professors and it takes million minutes to have your professor remember your name - sucks when it comes to asking for the LOR

- In fact, I have no regret attending the University of Toronto. Many students benefit from the extremely difficult curriculum at the U of T by the end, proving with their MCAT and DAT scores. ( a couple of MCAT 44s and 30 DATs from my univ-mates). I met great friends and had fun while staying there. The difficult part was when I had to go and beg for the LORs. What I had to do is to take an year off and volunteer at one professor's lab to get a LOR. If you are planning on going to d-school or m-school, remember to make good working relationships with several professors.
- If your ultimate goal is to get into d-school and does not care about the school you attend, I am telling you, the Univ of Toronto is the worst option. Many kids are top students from their high schools and still find the U of T really hard. (Even the professor ridiculed us by saying that only 10% of the freshmen would graduate within 5 years and go to med school). My recommendation is to go to a smaller institute where the courses are geared towards your needs. The Univ of Toronto is a perfect choice if you are into research or graduate study.

"The Univ. of Toronto would be your best choice: if a) you are willing to sacrifice much of your social life, b) you have strong work ethics and finally c) dental/ medical school is not your final destination

Last edited:
All right. I think I can give you the most unbiased insight on the Univ. of Toronto, as I graduated from Life Science Program there. (Yes. I went to the main campus and what I am going to describe to you concerns the Life Science/Biology Program at the Downtown Campus.

Pros: 1) The world-class faculty, couple of Nobel Prize Laureates, No.1 Canadian school in medicine, plenty of undergraduate research experience
2) Urban setting, lots of fun, more opportunities (ex. shadowing, volunteering, work position)
3) Multicultural student body: lots of chance to make international connection
4) Beautiful campus, high-tech buildings, 24-hour open libraries, good food

Cons (but can be pros)
1) Extremely huge first year courses (there were >1500 students in my 1st year biology class and we had a lecture in the theater-looking lecture hall. It is really really tough to have your professor know about you in such a huge class)
2) Real example of "survival of the fittest": the tests are brutal. I mean... really. The vast majority of the first year course professors are required to make tests and exams in a way that the class average always stays C - C+. It gets better in 3rd and 4th years.
By the time you finish your second year, you will see many of your freshmen peers have transferred to other "easy" schools
3) Hard to balance GPA and extracurricular. Because the academic demand is so great, you might not want to spend too much time on extracurricular and jeopardize your GPA. The summer is usually spent on re-taking the courses you have dropped throughout the school year. Not much time to do research throughout the year.
4) The professors seem to be least caring about their students. Their main focus is research. Hard to reach professors and it takes million minutes to have your professor remember your name - sucks when it comes to asking for the LOR

- In fact, I have no regret attending the University of Toronto. Many students benefit from the extremely difficult curriculum at the U of T by the end, proving with their MCAT and DAT scores. ( a couple of MCAT 44s and 30 DATs from my univ-mates). I met great friends and had fun while staying there. The difficult part was when I had to go and beg for the LORs. What I had to do is to take an year off and volunteer at one professor's lab to get a LOR. If you are planning on going to d-school or m-school, remember to make good working relationships with several professors.
- If your ultimate goal is to get into d-school and does not care about the school you attend, I am telling you, the Univ of Toronto is the worst option. Many kids are top students from their high schools and still find the U of T really hard. (Even the professor ridiculed us by saying that only 10% of the freshmen would graduate within 5 years and go to med school). My recommendation is to go to a smaller institute where the courses are geared towards your needs. The Univ of Toronto is a perfect choice if you are into research or graduate study.

"The Univ. of Toronto would be your best choice: if a) you are willing to sacrifice much of your social life, b) you have strong work ethics and finally c) dental/ medical school is not your final destination
Everything mentioned above is true and perhaps unbiased.

This institution is amongst the higher echelons of academia on this planet. (between 20-30 depending on sources)

At U of T, you may not be special after all. These professors here could care less about your personal goals, especially if it does not even remotely align with theirs. There's definitely a defined quota on how many A-type grades allowed to be earned in a particular course at this institution. If you do end up attending this institution and you work very, very hard; you'll likely do very, very well in dental school, or perhaps you may entirely change your future plans due to a newly discovered passion. Who knows?:shrug: Take your pick.:thumbup:

Yes I feel that american dental schools, compared to canadian dental schools, accept a lower GPA. I think this is in part because the grading system in the USA for college courses (undergrad) is harder. In Canada, it seemed A's were ubiquitous. I had something like a 3.94 GPA at my Canadian institution, I will admit that we got a lot of easy A's. Maybe a school like Univ of Toronto general science, you wouldn't be seeing many A's, but that's your fault for going to Univ of Toronto -
Quoted For Reality said:
you should know what you're getting yourself into.

It doesn't matter where you do your dental school pre-reqs. Canada or USA no one cares.

Good luck!
Only you know yourself well enough to make that informed decision in regards to your question, OP.

Good luck.:)

Wow. Learned so much from this post alone.. thank you both for the insight. Being at the high school level, it's hard to gain knowledge through first hand experiences because well... many of my friends are either not concerned about their futures, or just as confused as I am.

Again, thanks for the insight.

One thing I was considering was, the city where the school is located. I'm an outgoing person, and enjoy the social experience behind the academics.. Maybe I'm in my high school stage and all of that doesn't even matter. But how's the city of London itself?

Wow. Learned so much from this post alone.. thank you both for the insight. Being at the high school level, it's hard to gain knowledge through first hand experiences because well... many of my friends are either not concerned about their futures, or just as confused as I am.

One thing I was considering was, the city where the school is located. I'm an outgoing person, and enjoy the social experience behind the academics.. Maybe I'm in my high school stage and all of that doesn't even matter. But how's the city of London itself?

The City of London, Ont, Canada is home of the Univ of Western Ontario. It has a top tier dental school in Canada. I do not know about the undergraduate experience there but my friends frequently mention about much fun they get from endless school parties. The city itself is beautiful, but if you are more like a city person, London may be a boring place.

There are definitely parties: house parties and clubs. The downtown area has some decent clubs. It is an university town, so a lot of the shops around downtown are tailored for students. Personally I didn't find London boring. There are a lot of school clubs you could join and they host a lot of events as well. Plenty of ways to meet new people.

Last edited:
If youre confident in your ability to do well, you shouldnt let the thought of a tough academic challenge put you off from attending a top university.

Im graduating this november with double major in Human Biology and Anthropology and I dont regret having attended U of T

If youre confident in your ability to do well, you shouldnt let the thought of a tough academic challenge put you off from attending a top university.

Im graduating this november with double major in Human Biology and Anthropology and I dont regret having attended U of T

I second this. But the thing is, you spend so much time on academics and do not have much time to look after other important things in your life. After all, when it comes to d-school admission, whether you attend U of T or other school does not matter much.

I second this. But the thing is, you spend so much time on academics and do not have much time to look after other important things in your life. After all, when it comes to d-school admission, whether you attend U of T or other school does not matter much.
Then again, excelling at this particular institution will, without a doubt, develop a very, very strong work ethic. I know this.:D

Go to western, coming from someone who attended both. People are so much easier going at uwo, plus much smaller classes (tho by no means small). Also the name of u of t doesn't even refer to its undergraduate program, it's known mainly for research and its grad/professional programs.