University of Toronto Pharmacy 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It says that it's between May and August, do we get to choose when it is?

Members don't see this ad.

It says that it's between May and August, do we get to choose when it is?
Yep. There's a restriction though. You need to complete 160 hours so you can't start in the middle of August. I think most people start between May and July.

Hey everyone,
Wanted to say congratulations to everyone who got accepted, good luck to anyone still on the waitlist, and to those who were not offered a spot- please don't give up and try again next year. My stats:
cGPA: 3.23 - finished fourth year undergrad at UofT
PCAT:
Chem- 99
Bio-87
Math-78
Verbal-56
Reading-80
Writing-5
Composite-89
Interview- When I left, I thought I did horrible, because I felt the questions were hard, and my last station was the acting and it was the most awkward one, where I finished talking five minutes in, and just had to sit there. But in hindsight, I actually would say I did well in about 3-4 stations, really bad on one part of the collab, and the acting, and the remaining were O.K.
I just wanted to also say that my second year was really bad, with a D and a C- in organic chem, first and second parts. I really thought I did not have a chance, and my gpa was below 3.0. but my third and fourth years, I really got it together. I finished my last semester with 6 courses and 4.0 in all of them. I think that's maybe what saved me. There were a lot of time where I would read past forums and see everyone's stats and think that it would be so hard for me to compete, but it's actually what motivated me to pull up my marks and raise my GPA. Just to everyone reading this: don't give up, and just because you may have marks on the low side, still try and apply. You never know, and if you work hard for the interview, you still have a huge shot.
And also for the people on the waitlist, dont lose hope. My close friend got off of it in mid-August last year, and she was on the lower waitlist!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought only 5 ppl got in from the wait list last year?

Reactions: 1 user
I thought only 5 ppl got in from the wait list last year?
Actually, I'm not a troll, I was trying to contact the person again, as it was a long time since we talked, but my apologies, I thought they had told me they were on the lower waitlist, but they ended up being on the upper waitlist. But they did tell me, again, that it was very late in august that they received their acceptance. Hope this helps.

Actually, I'm not a troll, I was trying to contact the person again, as it was a long time since we talked, but my apologies, I thought they had told me they were on the lower waitlist, but they ended up being on the upper waitlist. But they did tell me, again, that it was very late in august that they received their acceptance. Hope this helps.

wow, mid august for someone to get off on top 5 waistlist.. but I think I know at least ~3 people who will be taking loo over u of t so maybe it's better this year around.

you mean they haven't declined yet? If yes, that's pretty good news for me at least

anyone know what we are going to do during frosh? know any specific activities? any parties?

Hey everyone,
Wanted to say congratulations to everyone who got accepted, good luck to anyone still on the waitlist, and to those who were not offered a spot- please don't give up and try again next year. My stats:
cGPA: 3.23 - finished fourth year undergrad at UofT
PCAT:
Chem- 99
Bio-87
Math-78
Verbal-56
Reading-80
Writing-5
Composite-89
Interview- When I left, I thought I did horrible, because I felt the questions were hard, and my last station was the acting and it was the most awkward one, where I finished talking five minutes in, and just had to sit there. But in hindsight, I actually would say I did well in about 3-4 stations, really bad on one part of the collab, and the acting, and the remaining were O.K.
I just wanted to also say that my second year was really bad, with a D and a C- in organic chem, first and second parts. I really thought I did not have a chance, and my gpa was below 3.0. but my third and fourth years, I really got it together. I finished my last semester with 6 courses and 4.0 in all of them. I think that's maybe what saved me. There were a lot of time where I would read past forums and see everyone's stats and think that it would be so hard for me to compete, but it's actually what motivated me to pull up my marks and raise my GPA. Just to everyone reading this: don't give up, and just because you may have marks on the low side, still try and apply. You never know, and if you work hard for the interview, you still have a huge shot.
And also for the people on the waitlist, dont lose hope. My close friend got off of it in mid-August last year, and she was on the lower waitlist!!

Hey Kacee, I was just wondering whether you got your acceptance on Friday or sometime during the weekend.
I'm on the upper waitlist and I'm soo freaking anxious to see if I got in. :s

Hey Kacee, I was just wondering whether you got your acceptance on Friday or sometime during the weekend.
I got off upper at 4 50 pm this past friday

Hey guys,
Do you know if the courses that will be exempted will be counted towards 1st year's grade or only the credit of it?

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad :)
And you guys have 1 business day to reply right?
So theoretically, offers should be going out every two days?

should be, assuming they still have spots left. even people who have accepted the offer have time to back off so it's never really over until school starts I'd say.

Hey, no I actually got accepted on June 12th i believe, when they sent out the initial acceptances, but just got around to posting my stats. A friend of mine got the acceptance this Friday and based on the posts on this board I think so far about maybe 3-4 people have gotten off the waitlist. I know it's hard to wait, but I do know a person who got it in August. I think maybe sometimes people have to decline for personal reasons, or got in last minute somewhere else..maybe to med school? And even on the acceptance letters, it says if you have to decline, even after you've been accepted, then to call them immediately. So I think there are people who will initially accept and then change their minds. My finger are crossed for you! Goodluck!

Wait list applicants, especially upper-half, still have a good chance of getting in. 1. No deposit needed, not much consequences if decided to decline the offer later. 2. Could still be waiting for their first choice in med school, other pharm schools, dentistry school etc. (wait list or not) 3. Wait list applicants who got admitted could still decline offer for other opportunities.

yup, don't give up. Got the e-mail on the 26th (friday) at 4:50 PM, had until the 29th (monday) at 5:00 PM to accept. And accept it I did :) Can't wait to meet you all soontimes.

Isn't there only one lady from the admissions office? If I were her, I will check only once a week on Fridays since I have other responsibilities too. Also, this week was a public holiday, so she might not even be in the office! I doubt that between 4:50 and midnight on the 26th (Friday), no one else declined their offers of admissions. On the other hand.... they just might not be posting on sdn, still means fewer ppl in the wait list and our chances are only increasing

To any of the pharm students who have already completed their first year:

Do you remember how much (roughly) the cost of books were each semester?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1382547062046679/
Still couldn't get access to this group, anyone know are there anything else you have to do other than clicking the 'join group' button?
They will eventually get back to you, you just have to be patient. I'm going to say that it you should be added to the group by tomorrow or maybe the next day at the absolute latest, but if not then messaging the admin is probably a viable option.

To any of the pharm students who have already completed their first year:

Do you remember how much (roughly) the cost of books were each semester?

You actually don't need to buy any books in first year since they're all available online.

Are they available online through torrents or provided online through UofT?
There's actually a suite of online references you can access by logging in through your UofT student account.

which bank are you getting the loan from? which offers the lowest rate?

Hey guys, so I was waitlisted for this admission cycle. My average is ~80 and my PCAT score was:
VA 403/52
BIO 435/92
RC 402/54
QA 420/82
CHEM 426/85
Composite 417/81

Would it be worthwhile to retake the PCAT to improve my chances for the next cycle?

Hey guys, so I was waitlisted for this admission cycle. My average is ~80 and my PCAT score was:
VA 403/52
BIO 435/92
RC 402/54
QA 420/82
CHEM 426/85
Composite 417/81

Would it be worthwhile to retake the PCAT to improve my chances for the next cycle?
Seeing as you are above all the cutoffs, I would focus more on your interview, since I believe there have been others with lower scores who got in. How did you think you did?

Is anyone going through Scotia for their student line of credit? If so, how much are they offering?

Seeing as you are above all the cutoffs, I would focus more on your interview, since I believe there have been others with lower scores who got in. How did you think you did?
Honestly thought I did fine, I practiced for the interview through mock interviews and through reading books, so I was pretty confident. My school made the mistake of not sending in my transcript on time. Had to fax it over, and then the day after decisions came out. In the FAQ of the decision, it says " failure to meet deadlines or failure to have followed instructions as given on the Applicant website may also be considered during final selections." so I'm not too sure if that played a part.

@mattyluu i am assuming you are at in the upper wait list though right? There's no point in redoing the PCAT since you might get in before september

Honestly thought I did fine, I practiced for the interview through mock interviews and through reading books, so I was pretty confident. My school made the mistake of not sending in my transcript on time. Had to fax it over, and then the day after decisions came out. In the FAQ of the decision, it says " failure to meet deadlines or failure to have followed instructions as given on the Applicant website may also be considered during final selections." so I'm not too sure if that played a part.

if transcript was the issue you wouldn't be on the waitlist at all I think. probably just interview... or PCAT has some secret weighting beyond cutoffs (i think so, at least for this year). nobody knows definitively what the weighting is and it's all speculation since it's widely accepted that the most important thing is interview but it's subjective and difficult to gouge how one performed on the interview...

Is anyone going through Scotia for their student line of credit? If so, how much are they offering?
The line that scotia offers is pretty good. They offer 120k over 4 years, max 30k a year. Prime + 0.5%. It's one of the best deals that I could find.

VA 403/52
BIO 435/92
RC 402/54
QA 420/82
CHEM 426/85
Composite 417/81

I had the same stat as you last year. 81 pcat 80 average.. Also I was on the lower half of the waiting list. Seriously the best way to increase your chances is to improve on everything.. Retake the PCAT.. I got 97 my second time round.. Work harder next semester and bring up ur average.. I managed to get up to 81 cumulative from 80. Finally look back on your interview.. You probably did something that got you placed in lowerhalf... I realized my mistake much later after the interview.

You might've said something in the interview that you didn't even realize was a red flag (e.g. did you make the most ethical decisions?) I suggest practicing with a friend in person or over Skype, so you can get feedback on each other's responses, mannerisms, etc.

VA 403/52
BIO 435/92
RC 402/54
QA 420/82
CHEM 426/85
Composite 417/81

Hey,
I had very similar stats to you last year and I was upper half waitlisted. The PCAT is one of the areas of the admission index where you can have the most drastic improvement so I say it might be worth retaking. I had a 81 composite the first time I applied but I rewrote the PCAT last year and bumped my composite to a 99, and I was offered admission this time. I also improved my cGPA from 3.60 to 3.65 but like I said it's probably much harder to drastically increase your GPA than it is to improve your PCAT score. Finally, going through the entire interview process once has already given you a much better idea of what to expect, and that will hopefully give you more confidence if you end up having to re-apply next year. Best of luck and I hope you get off the waitlist :)

Last edited:
Does anyone know if we need to notify OSAP if we are getting a loan from a bank? I took out a line of credit from scotia bank after I applied for OSAP, do I need to let them know?

Does anyone know if we need to notify OSAP if we are getting a loan from a bank? I took out a line of credit from scotia bank after I applied for OSAP, do I need to let them know?

When you complete your OSAP application, did you get the value indicated in the aid estimator they offer you on their website?
I have quite a bit of difference between the estimate that they provide me when I submitted my application and the estimate given by the aid estimator. (About a $5000 difference)

Anyone have experience with this issue?

Update: it seems like the UTAPS estimator is similar to what OSAP is giving me, but the aid estimator on the OSAP website is providing a larger value. So I wouldn't be surprise if your actual OSAP estimate is not matching with what their aid estimator is telling you.

Last edited:
Are you guys able to download the "UPS Phrosh Summer Package" from the latest email? It says I don't have permission to open it. Seems pretty useful.

Here it is for anyone who is having trouble. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• UPS-Phrosh-Summer-Package-2015.pdf
    654 KB · Views: 168
Hey guys, I just got the good news today. I got taken off the waiting list and was accepted!
Can someone fill me in on the emails/announcements I missed? I'd really appreciate the help.

Hey guys, I just got the good news today. I got taken off the waiting list and was accepted!
Can someone fill me in on the emails/announcements I missed? I'd really appreciate the help.
Hey, first off I'd like to say congrats on being accepted! I'm currently still on the waitlist and was wondering if you were on the upper half or lower half?

Hey, first off I'd like to say congrats on being accepted! I'm currently still on the waitlist and was wondering if you were on the upper half or lower half?
Hey, thanks man. I was on the upper half of the waiting list. To be honest, I was already preparing to improve my grades and PCAT for next year. But don't lose hope though; there's still a chance that some spots might open later. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you get in. :)

Join the 1T9 Facebook group (the link is somewhere at the top of the page)!

Could you please give me some feedback about my preliminary score?
Verbal Ability 74
Biology 95
Reading 49
Quantitative 96
Chemistry 99
Composite 98

GPA: 3.8 (I am a third year student)

I am only going to apply for University of Toronto. Is my RC too low? Do you think admission officers care more about individual subsets of the PCAT or they care more about the Composite?

Last edited: