University of Utah and University of Iowa Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misfit

Blinded Me With Science
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

I'm a third-yr. student who has become interested in Anesthesiology as a career. Along those lines, I've thought about places to do a residency.

Could anyone out there tell me about the Anesthesia programs at the University of Utah and the University of Iowa. Through word of mouth, I've heard some good things about them, enough to peak my interest. I've also looked up their program sites on the Web.

But, it would be nice to hear from someone who interviewed at these programs or, better yet, are/were residents there.

Can anyone offer some information about pro's/con's, housing, recreation opportunities, cost of living, research, case load, etc.

Thanks.

misfit

Members don't see this ad.

I just talked to a grad at my school who matched here at UI. He did the 1year externship here so he should know the program as well as you can without being a resident. He said that UU was strong and he almost went there for the outdoor experience. In the end, he chose UI as he felt it was the strongest program HE visited.

UI is fairly well respected with a powerful chair with connections at Mayo and Virginia Mason.

He said it was a well organized and structured program.

Cost of living in IC is not too bad, although housing is not cheap compared to similar sized cities, perhaps. Plenty to do in IC except for mountains and ocean stuff.

In terms of cases, I would imagine you will see everything at Iowa. UU would likely be similar.
I think you wouldn't go wrong at either.

Research wise, I think you would be well supported at UI, but I don't think you would be pressured. SICU is run by Gas as well which many see as a plus...

If you are young and single, I might consider IC over SLC. I am a huge mountains person but SLC can be a little cold socially at times ( I lived there only 6 months).In contrast, there is a huge young, single pop here at Iowa.

Let me know if you want any more info.
Hope this helped a little, good luck

Dr Dre:

Thanks for the info.

I do happen to be young and single and I also happen to be a fan of the great outdoors. I also would like to become a very strong anesthesiologist, so I'd want to work at a place where I could have a great caseload and excellent didactics, etc.

So, with those ideas in mind, do you have suggestions? I realize these will be opinions, but to me, it does not hurt soliciting them. I am very good at making up my mind about important issues once I feel I've gotten advice from all quarters.

So, could you lay it out in your opinion? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

misfit

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm the same way. I try to hear all the advice I can then move on it.

Coincidentally, I was accepted at UI for med school. I also received an interview invite for UU. I chose not to go to that interview for three reasons. One, they are big on research for med admissions and I had none. The other two reasons were that I was concerned I wouldn't have time to enjoy the mts and that UI was a stronger school. I have been happy with my choice but I sure miss the mts!

I can not give you more advice about this as I am personally not knowledgable about the programs myself. I can say that IC is a pretty cool town with quite a lot to do. There are a few lakes nearby, some trails for biking and running. The social scene would be a lot better than SLC. I am not sure which program is stronger but UI is very strong in many depts. For this reason, I think you would have experience dealing with all types of anesthetics, lots of liver txs which many don't like... Regional is strong here as the Chair authored a regional textbook- David Brown.

I think the key between them would be how important the "best" training for you is versus lifestyle (encompassing all elements inc. intrahospital socializing).

I love the mountains and I want to leave IC for good after med school. I grew up here. It is a great town with a great hospital system but I want to live in the mountains.

I did live in SLC for 6 months. I loved the mts. but it can be an umcomfortable place to live. I have never felt so much a minority in my entire life, including living and visiting in foreign countries. Depending on how you react to these situations, you may want to think hard about that. On the contrary, IC essentially accepts everyone. It is a very liberal and open-minded community- similar to Madison, SF, Portland, Seattle.

If you want more info, you can PM me although I have no idea what to do about it!
Hope this helps

I don't know anything about the program at Utah, but their chairman was a guest lecturer yesterday and today for our department and I found him to be quite knowledgable and friendly. He is a cardiac anesthesiologist by training and seems to be very affable and approachable.