University of Vermont?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am from Kentucky and I apply to U of Vermont, would I even be considered since they are a state school and I am an out of state student? Their stats say that something like 40-50% of the school's students are out of state, but I wonder if those students are from Maine, New Hampshire, and other surrounding states. If anybody knows about this let me know. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I applied there, and I'm from California. While they may give some preference to students from nearby states, since they don't say it in MSAR I think people from far away states have a shot too. I know for some of the western schools, they state when they give preference to students from nearby states w/out med schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, i also thought that there weren't enough vermont residents. but it's more money thrown at a med school and by God if i have to pay for them to process me i want acceptance!!! I mean, you don't pay a hooker to say she won't get in the car, right?

:clap:

Loved the analogy. Actually, med schools are probably greedy enough to take your money and run away from the car...

Originally posted by tedstriker
:clap:

Loved the analogy. Actually, med schools are probably greedy enough to take your money and run away from the car...

"probably" greedy enough? I sent out 21 secondaries and finally got 2 acceptances after sitting on waitlists for 2 months; that should tell you something. I am a MD resident and UVM rejected me w/o interview. They typically take about 10 Maine residents via the ME access program and about 45 Vermont residents (or fewer depending on the applicant pool). It is my impression that most of the class comes from New England or California, but I think this is due more to the fact that they get huge #'s of applications from these areas rather than a bias on the school's part. I think you might as well apply since the whole process is a crapshoot and you never know, but honestly, your best chances are at UK and Louisville.

I'm a FL resident, but I went to undergrad near Boston....i was interviewed and my interview went really well, but i was placed in the lower tier of the waitlist-----I think it's because I'm from FL and I said in my practice vision I wanted to practice in an urban area in FL or NY....I think they want people who really want to go there. :) Some CA SDNers got in though, so state of residence doesn't really matter I guess......also, the earlier you interview, the better chance you have. But don't apply there unless you would go there. After visiting, I didn't think UVM was for me.

I will be a first year med student at UVM beginning later this month. I say apply as i don't think being from Kentucky will rule you out (i am an illinois resident...chicago).

fyi, i've heard uvm has a really good clerkships & teaching hospital.