University of Virginia SOM Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MightyDucksMan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Even though most of us are still deciding, I think alot of people have said the same things about UVA - awesome campus, really nice interview, etc. Anyway, post what you're considering in choosing UVA or why you chose the school!

Members don't see this ad.

Being at the interview totally blew me away. The curriculum is innovative, the campus is changing, and the environment seemed so conducive to learning. Plus, even with a shorter year and less lecture time, the students do extremely well on Step I (and AMSA's survey rates UVa a 5 out of 5 for preparing students for it). The AMSA survey also indicates that the students are happy with their school in general.

I agree with everything you guys have said, I loved the campus, curriculum, facilities, people, etc... at UVA (tuition too for ISers :)). The ONLY thing I'm hesitant about is the location. I'm more of an urban/city (it doesn't even have to be a metropolis, I grew up in Pittsburgh and go to school in St Louis now) type of person and as beautiful Charlottesville is, I'm a little reluctant about spending the next 4 years there. Any current students or people familiar with the area chime in? Also, does UVA have a second look wkend in the spring?

Members don't see this ad :)
wahoooooooooo! i can promise you C'ville is a great place to live for the next 4 years. I also love city/urban life but C'ville has the perfect mix of culture, history, and outdoors opportunities. I spent my undergrad years there and can't wait to get back. If thats still a worry, I encourage you to go visit again for a weekend and check it out. I don't think the setting is a disadvantage at all, and you might even come to find it an advantage.

also, i second the second look question. anyone know?

I agree with everything you guys have said, I loved the campus, curriculum, facilities, people, etc... at UVA (tuition too for ISers :)). The ONLY thing I'm hesitant about is the location. I'm more of an urban/city (it doesn't even have to be a metropolis, I grew up in Pittsburgh and go to school in St Louis now) type of person and as beautiful Charlottesville is, I'm a little reluctant about spending the next 4 years there. Any current students or people familiar with the area chime in? Also, does UVA have a second look wkend in the spring?

Thanks for starting this thread!

I feel like my interview season is winding down and so far I'm still pretty sure UVA is my top choice. :) I have been accepted at University of Maryland and VCU as well, but I wasn't as impressed with their programs. I've also interviewed at GW, Georgetown, Columbia, and NYU. Here are some reasons I liked UVA:

1) I'm in-state, which is great for tuition and convenience. After going out of state for undergrad, I'd be happy to come back to Virginia for medical school. 2) I spent a summer at UVA to take physics after my sophomore year in college and loved the campus, Charlottesville, and the atmosphere in general. I could definitely see myself being there for four years. 3) The interview day was well-organized, impressive, and I liked all the people I met. If the quality of the interview day is a reflection of the amount of care the administration gives their students, I'd be happy going there. 4) It is a well-respected institution with great resources, good residency matches, and a lot of opportunities for students. 5) I know quite a few medical students at UVA personally, and they unanimously love it. Lectures are all online, full notes are provided for the classes, pure P/F makes it very non-competitive, and the administration places a large focus on quality of life.

Considering how similar medical schools are in terms of what they teach and how well their students end up doing in the long run (especially within the top 25 schools), I think it will be hard for another school to make more sense for me than UVA given my specific situation.

Still, a big factor will end up being money and what kind of financial aid I can get, which is why I'm still interviewing and holding on to my acceptances.

Anyway, if anyone has any cool information about UVA, be sure to post! I'm specifically interested in finding out if there is a second look weekend and how generous the financial aid tends to be.

And sorry this was so long :p

There's a really high chance I'll be attending UVA next fall (I'm in state, and my bro just got accepted into the law school!) I was wondering for those of you familiar with UVA, is there a second look weekend? Also, does anybody know if they offered any scholarships with acceptances, or do we have to wait until mid April to see how our finances will break down?

I'm at UVA now; first year student. I also love the city and I can chime in on everything y'all have already mentioned.

Perks: Awesome curriculum, VERY VERY supportive staff, extremely catered towards the USMLE (last year's avg was 236 +1SD (17) meaning over 10% got above a 253), teachers pamper you like crazy, no mandatory attendance, difficult but doable, students are very helpful to each other (eg: we all make charts, study guides, plan review sessions, drink together after exams), exams come in blocks so it trains you to memorize HUGE amounts of material but great prep for the USMLE, awesome physicians that lets you shadow whenever you want, lots of campus activities (date auction, talent show, dances, parties), very active mulholland society (they plan a lot of events)

Cons: Not a big city, charlottesville gets old (but good food and convenient), huge undergrad population, not a lot of diversity in my class, southern feel

Overall: Very glad I came here. I know I will be well prepped for a career in medicine and people I've met are fantastic.

So in terms of school quality A++ :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Surroundings B :)

I'm at UVA now; first year student. I also love the city and I can chime in on everything y'all have already mentioned.

Perks: Awesome curriculum, VERY VERY supportive staff, extremely catered towards the USMLE (last year's avg was 236 +1SD (17) meaning over 10% got above a 253), teachers pamper you like crazy, no mandatory attendance, difficult but doable, students are very helpful to each other (eg: we all make charts, study guides, plan review sessions, drink together after exams), exams come in blocks so it trains you to memorize HUGE amounts of material but great prep for the USMLE, awesome physicians that lets you shadow whenever you want, lots of campus activities (date auction, talent show, dances, parties), very active mulholland society (they plan a lot of events)

Cons: Not a big city, charlottesville gets old (but good food and convenient), huge undergrad population, not a lot of diversity in my class, southern feel

Overall: Very glad I came here. I know I will be well prepped for a career in medicine and people I've met are fantastic.

So in terms of school quality A++ :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Surroundings B :)

Thanks for the all the info. Do you know if there is a second look weekend?

So I just talked to someone from the admissions office and there WILL be a second look weekend. She said they would email out about it, although she didn't give a specific time period for the email/weekend. Also, if you need to update them about changes in academic plans (they ask to be notified about pretty much everything) send a letter to the director of admissions, Ms. Thomas.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

So I just talked to someone from the admissions office and there WILL be a second look weekend. She said they would email out about it, although she didn't give a specific time period for the email/weekend. Also, if you need to update them about changes in academic plans (they ask to be notified about pretty much everything) send a letter to the director of admissions, Ms. Thomas.

SWEET. :D
Thanks for calling and finding out!

Thanks for the update :). I look forward to meeting you guys in the spring.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are lectures online? I was under the impression that only the audio was posted online. Does anyone know if they post video of the lectures?

Also, it's not strictly pass/fail. They also give honors.

Really? I was told it's just pass fail, not even honors. Promotes class unity etc... And yes, I believe they post lectures with video online. Hope this helps!

Are lectures online? I was under the impression that only the audio was posted online. Does anyone know if they post video of the lectures?

Also, it's not strictly pass/fail. They also give honors.

I'm almost completely positive it's pure P/F for the first two years.

All schools are required to give more feedback for the clinical years, though, since residency programs need to make distinctions between people ... so there are more grade levels in the second two years.

And I'm also pretty sure video and audio for lectures are online.
I'm getting this info from my interview day and the people I know who are students there, but a current student can feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Last edited:
Thanks for the all the info. Do you know if there is a second look weekend?

Another first year here. Our second look weekend was the last week of March, which I think tends to be the usual time. I'd encourage everyone to go to it, even if you know you'll be attending. It's a great place to meet some of your classmates, get some good food, see grounds, etc.

Feel free to ask vicinihil and me any questions. (Yes, I'm volunteering you, vicinihil.)

I'm almost completely positive it's pure P/F for the first two years.

All schools are required to give more feedback for the clinical years, though, since residency programs need to make distinctions, so there are more distinctions in the second two years.

And I'm also pretty sure video and audio for lectures are online.
I'm getting this info from my interview day and the people I know who are students there, but a current student can feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Audio is posted, as are powerpoint presentations. Video is not posted. That's usually enough, though, to get all the info you need.

Audio is posted, as are powerpoint presentations. Video is not posted. That's usually enough, though, to get all the info you need.

Good to know! Thanks for the info. :)

1. What about the curriculum do you consider to be awesome? How is it catered towards the USMLE?
2. Is the curriculum more traditional, organ based, or pbl?
3. How do you like the block schedule of exams?
4. Are videos of lectures posted online or only the audio? Also, is this for all classes or only a select few?
5. Do you mind sharing roughly how much debt students at UVa have when they graduate? I've heard at other schools that it's actually a lot more than you're quoted during the interview process.

I appreciate any answers you can give.

I'll give my answers to it; Vicinihil probably has different responses.

1. One thing that's impressed me with UVA Med is the responsiveness to perceived weaknesses we have in certain areas (I say "perceived" because many people think it's all the students' responsibilities when it comes to board scores; some say it's the school's). We were slipping in USMLE scores in two areas and the administration revamped the curriculum to address those issues. At no other school I was interviewing did I see an administration willing to do something radical like that to ensure we're prepared. When you go on other interviews, ask them what they've done to address weaknesses.
2. This probably answers the question than I could: http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/med-curriculum/minutes/032003.cfm
But in short: mixture of the three. It works.
3. Block schedule for exams sucks stress-wise, but I feel I recall it much better than I would if the classes were one at a time. I think most of my classmates would agree.
4. Audio is up for all classes, as well as all powerpoint presentations and handouts from lectures. Video is unnecessary maybe 95% or more of the time.
5. I believe we've been told a little under $100K. Could be worse.

Also, it's all P/F the first two years. They keep our grades solely for determining if someone is eligible for AOA. Let me tell you the best kept secret in medical school discussions: P/F is your best friend.

1. What about the curriculum do you consider to be awesome? How is it catered towards the USMLE?
2. Is the curriculum more traditional, organ based, or pbl?
3. How do you like the block schedule of exams?
4. Are videos of lectures posted online or only the audio? Also, is this for all classes or only a select few?
5. Do you mind sharing roughly how much debt students at UVa have when they graduate? I've heard at other schools that it's actually a lot more than you're quoted during the interview process.

I appreciate any answers you can give.

OCallag is pretty right on everything he's said. (My debt will be roughly 150K-200K).

The stuff is online, but EVERYTHING YOU NEED IS HANDED TO YOU IN A PACKET AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEMESTER AND THROUGHOUT. Study that and you'll pass...fo shizzle. There are no honors or any distinction past a 70. No one cares. Good for you is the general attitude if you get >70. If you brag, you'll have no friends...seriously. Or if you're republican...same deal.

Class averages go from 85-90. Therefore, looking at that, people try DAMN hard even though it's P/F. You come out of exams going...wtf just happened, yet you do better than you think. Remember, it's block exams...so I do this 3 times in a week. If you're fat, this is your opportunity to lose weight. Except...OCallag goes home and eats afterwards.

We plan parties..after everything. We even throw you a kegger after your first set of exams as first years! After 2nd year, there is this 13K party at a hotel where it's open bar and you celebrate being done with the classroom. Plus, the library is 24hrs and it's always a party up in there.

Yes 2nd look is sometime in the spring. We will be there, you should be there too. Is there a party afterwards? Of course. :luck:

Yes 2nd look is sometime in the spring. We will be there, you should be there too. Is there a party afterwards? Of course. :luck:

I like the way you think...

The stuff is online, but EVERYTHING YOU NEED IS HANDED TO YOU IN A PACKET AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEMESTER AND THROUGHOUT. Study that and you'll pass...fo shizzle. There are no honors or any distinction past a 70. No one cares. Good for you is the general attitude if you get >70. If you brag, you'll have no friends...seriously. Or if you're republican...same deal.

We plan parties..after everything. We even throw you a kegger after your first set of exams as first years! After 2nd year, there is this 13K party at a hotel where it's open bar and you celebrate being done with the classroom. Plus, the library is 24hrs and it's always a party up in there.

I'm even more sold on UVA.

P/F + Handouts + Parties = Awesomeness. :cool:

Ya I'm about 99% sure I'll be at UVA next year, just waiting to be sure that Baylor has no interest in me. I'm looking forward to meeting all you lushes in a few months here lol. It was actually one of the selling points for me that my student host took me out to see the bars the night before my interview.

Except...OCallag goes home and eats afterwards.

Hell yeah I go home and eat afterward! Unlike vicinihil I can actually cook. What he didn't tell you is that 100K of his debt is from his affinity for Little Debbie snack cakes.

Ya I'm about 99% sure I'll be at UVA next year, just waiting to be sure that Baylor has no interest in me. I'm looking forward to meeting all you lushes in a few months here lol. It was actually one of the selling points for me that my student host took me out to see the bars the night before my interview.

That happened to me at Rush, but unfortunately I did not have a student host at UVa. It would have been sweet though.

Hey everyone, congrats on getting accepted to UVA! :thumbup:

I'm currently a 2nd year here. Feel free to PM me with any specific UVA questions or ask them here as I'll probably check this thread every once in awhile while procrastinating.

As far as some of the questions I've seen on here so far:

UVA is straight up P/F for the first 2 years. No honors, high pass BS. This is AMAZING! Believe me, you will want to go to a school that is P/F. The school only keeps track of our grades for AOA, and as far as I understand it, the top 10 or so people in our class (so the people who are both amazingly brilliant and study their butts off) get inducted and then other people get voted into AOA by faculty. Don't quote me on this though. Anyway, the point is, grades really don't matter here, and that is a big relief. Everyone still tries really hard, but if you do screw up a test it's not the end of the world. P=MD my friends.

I'm a fan of block scheduling. It's nice to have a little down time at the beginning of the semester. Also, as I'm starting to study for boards :scared:, I'm realizing that integrating all the information across classes is really important. I think it was really helpful to study the pathology of the kidney at the same time I was studying pharm for the kidney and working out kidney patient cases in small groups.

Let me know if there's anything else I can answer! Back to studying I guess...

Hello Classmates. I am not completely sure that I'll be at UVA but I am excited that they liked me enough to come. My issue is that I am out of state (Florida) and I'm not sure I'm ready to pay the Virginia Price just yet. But amybe I will be joining you guys in the fall.

Who got a letter about second look? I got one from SNMA about it. March 27th-29th. :D

Who got a letter about second look? I got one from SNMA about it. March 27th-29th. :D

I haven't gotten a letter yet...and I saw in your other post that you are getting put up for free, which is sick. Is it through SNMA or straight from UVA? I'm pretty sure I don't qualify for any assistance from SNMA lol...

I haven't gotten a letter yet...and I saw in your other post that you are getting put up for free, which is sick. Is it through SNMA or straight from UVA? I'm pretty sure I don't qualify for any assistance from SNMA lol...

That's what I'm wondering. The letter said don't make other arrangements, this is a bonding experience between you and your future classmates.

I'm hoping we all get put up, which would be absolutely ridiculously awesome :) I want to "bond" with all my classmates, not just minorities. Luckily, they also sent a tentative itinerary, and there are social events on the agenda for Friday and Saturday evening. I would hope those are great shindigs, hootenannies, box socials, etc.

Congrats to all you coming here next year. I personally never thought about the whole hard copy notes thing. I just assumed every school did that. In retrospect, it's a lifesaver. Although when you're all done with your first 2 years, it's absolutely frightening to look at all the notes and material you've learned and studied (absolutely amazing too).

I can verify that the curriculum gets you prepared for Step I. My class rocked it. I think our average was about a good 15 or more points above the national average. I too like the block system. Going full force through multiple exams is crazy, but man, it gets your endurance up for all the following trials of a medical career. Also, after you're done with the exams it's such a relief, and so much fun to go out and relax/party with your friends who just went through the same **** you just did.

In regard to scholarships, I believe you will find that out after acceptance when you apply for financial aid (after you apply for the financial aid specifically). With that being said, one of the things that drew me to UVA was the financial aid department. They divide up the class among 4 advisors so you always have someone to help you out who knows your file. If your specific advisor is not around when you need help, the others can easily cross cover you. I felt very safe in that I would have the money I needed to get through school at UVA. Other schools often gave a black and white message of "You'll get this much, if you need more, get bent" (not quite those words, but you get the idea. lol).

Anyway, if any of you have questions, I'm also here to give advice or answer anything.

Last edited:
With regards to second look weekend, I just got this email:

Subject: Save the Date! Second Look Day at UVA School of Medicine

Dear Admitted Student,

Hello -- I'm writing to let you know about our upcoming Second Look Day, when admitted students are invited back to the University of Virginia School of Medicine, to visit us once again, and get to know us a little better.

We are still in the process of planning the details of the event, but we've scheduled it for Saturday, March 28th, so I hope you can hold that date for us. We'll be in touch soon with confirmed details, but generally speaking, we have panel discussions with current medical students, panel discussions with faculty, a discussion about the curriculum, a reception, etc.

Unfortunately, we do not have funds to assist with travel or hotel expenses. Also, because of space constraints, we are not able to accommodate friends or family at this event.

We certainly hope you can join us on March 28th!

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me if I can answer any questions or be of any assistance; I would be most happy to help.

With best wishes,

Lesley L. Thomas, J.D.
Director of Admissions
University of Virginia School of Medicine
P.O. Box 800725
Charlottesville, VA 22908-0725
Tel: (434) 924-5571
www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/admissions

hey everyone, just wanted to say good luck. i'm a former uva med student/current uva resident and would be glad to answer any questions you have. in case some of you haven't found it, the som has a pretty thorough website for current students http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/. you can't get into the coursework but you'll use it just about every day if you're a student so i thought i'd point it out. uva also openly posts match results which are at http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/handbook/residency/Match/index.cfm.

Has anyone received a merit scholarship or know when they're handed out?

I think I saw another thread where someone mentioned getting a pretty sizeable scholarship from UVA. Other than that I don't know much about their merit policies, though I seem to remember them saying they were pretty frugal when it came to giving money that wasn't need based. I'm hoping they'll help me out a little bit one way or the other, cuz it's about the only thing keeping me from dropping my other 2 acceptances (both in-state public schools). I'm not holding my breath, though.

As far as 2nd look, are many people planning on going? I really don't need to be sold on the school anymore, I just want to party with potential classmates!

That's what I'm wondering. The letter said don't make other arrangements, this is a bonding experience between you and your future classmates.

I'm hoping we all get put up, which would be absolutely ridiculously awesome :) I want to "bond" with all my classmates, not just minorities. Luckily, they also sent a tentative itinerary, and there are social events on the agenda for Friday and Saturday evening. I would hope those are great shindigs, hootenannies, box socials, etc.

The SNMA Second look coincides with the general Second look. You do get put up in a hotel w/ the other SNMA-ers [the marriott in the past] and have parties/dinner planned for you each night. You have SNMA-only stuff on Friday and Sunday, but Saturday you do the regular second look activities so you can meet your other classmates, etc. Also, they do send out an email to ALL current UVA med students about the parties... so it usually is a packed house/bar/where ever

Has anyone received a merit scholarship or know when they're handed out?

I received a merit scholarship and I found out about it at the same time as my other financial aid info.

Can any current students tell us how the lectures are posted online? Audio, video? Are they all posted, or just some?

Also, how are the notes given out for each class? All at once at the beginning of the semester?

Can any current students tell us how the lectures are posted online? Audio, video? Are they all posted, or just some?

Also, how are the notes given out for each class? All at once at the beginning of the semester?

The audio for the vast majority of the lectures is posted online. The only time the audio is not posted is if there is an equipment malfunction (ie the professor decided, you can hear me without this mic on, right?) or if it's a clinical correlation with a patient interview. Powerpoint presentations from all the lectures are also posted. No video (but you don't need it, really).

Most of the classes give out all the notes for the semester the first day of class or place them in our mailboxes. Some classes don't like to put our notes in our mailboxes because apparently there is a ridiculous overzealous undergrad that will come and take a copy out of a random person's mailbox to "get ahead". A few classes (like principles of medicine) will give us a couple of packets of notes throughout the semester. All the notes are also in PDF form online.

Does UVa recommend a particular stethoscope? I've got family that wants to buy me one and I don't know if I should pick out one myself, or wait until I get more info for school.

Does UVa recommend a particular stethoscope? I've got family that wants to buy me one and I don't know if I should pick out one myself, or wait until I get more info for school.

They'll hand out a list on your first day of school that shows what the upperclassmen recommend equipment-wise. The stethoscope they recommended to us was a Littmann II, which most of purchased online at allheart.com. There's a Littmann 3 which some people prefer, but the Littmann II seemed sufficient to me.

So I've looked everywhere online for UVA's Subinternship (subI) programs but I couldn't find anything. Anybody, especially the current resident on this forum, know how UVA does its subI rotation? Also, do you happen to know if I could do two subIs? Yes, I'm insane.

So I've looked everywhere online for UVA's Subinternship (subI) programs but I couldn't find anything. Anybody, especially the current resident on this forum, know how UVA does its subI rotation? Also, do you happen to know if I could do two subIs? Yes, I'm insane.

yeah, you can do 2 subI's if you want. UVa also calls them ACE's, for advanced clinical elective. they're listed here: http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/handbook/electives/ace.cfm. i'm surprised you're looking so far ahead. you have to do at least 1 ACE rotation during 4th year and that's the only requirement regarding it. most do them early since they're looking for letters. you get a written eval and scores from 1-4 in different areas for your ACE month, but the letter(s) you get are probably at least as important. the particulars of the subI's, of course, vary by department.

So here's a question:

How's the housing in Charlottesville? Is it easy to find stuff on craigslist or BRAC, or do I need to be looking around in the neighborhoods for For Rent signs?

I'm getting the impression that The Corner is the place to live if you're into the party scene. Any suggestions on places to look at?

i'm surprised you're looking so far ahead. you have to do at least 1 ACE rotation during 4th year and that's the only requirement regarding it. most do them early since they're looking for letters. you get a written eval and scores from 1-4 in different areas for your ACE month, but the letter(s) you get are probably at least as important.

Hey, thanks for this. Haha, the reason I look forward is because of those letters :D I was a UVA undergrad and the one thing (if anything) that I learned was always always always look 2 steps ahead. SubIs are pretty important for residencies and more importantly, they're extremely valuable learning experiences. At least, that's what I've heard...

Look at places on Brendan Ave too, that's a walk away from the medical school and its not near the corner. Brendan and the corner are on either sides of the med school. That way you don't pull your hair out when you're trying to study and the drunken undergrads are annoying the hell out of you.