University of Washington Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the reassuring posts, tigger and han. It's hard to be patient (as I'm sure you remember)! I do have a few questions, if you are able to provide any insight:

Does the construction in the health sciences building affect classes there at all? (ex, machinery making noise during a lecture)

What is the anatomy/physiology class there actually like? I was wondering whether dissections are a part of the course, or if the labs are more of the 'observe only' type.

I remember hearing something about a chemistry placement exam given at the beginning of the quarter. Is it of similar difficulty to the chemistry tested on the PCAT?

Good luck to everyone waiting on an interview and ultimately an acceptance. Here's hoping for good news! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reassuring posts, tigger and han. It's hard to be patient (as I'm sure you remember)! I do have a few questions, if you are able to provide any insight:

Does the construction in the health sciences building affect classes there at all? (ex, machinery making noise during a lecture)

What is the anatomy/physiology class there actually like? I was wondering whether dissections are a part of the course, or if the labs are more of the 'observe only' type.

I remember hearing something about a chemistry placement exam given at the beginning of the quarter. Is it of similar difficulty to the chemistry tested on the PCAT?

Good luck to everyone waiting on an interview and ultimately an acceptance. Here's hoping for good news! :D

The lecture halls and labs are not too close to the construction sites, and I don't recall any instances which I can even hear the machinery during class. The only bad thing about the construction though is that you'll have to walk outside to get between the classrooms and the student lounge.

The anatomy classes, I would say are mostly observation so far. I've only had a quarter and a half, but we haven't done much dissections. Although you don't actually get to do the actually dissections, we do use a lot of human specimens which you can touch all you want. But I would say that both anatomy professors are excellent and makes classes and labs very fun, and you'll actually get to know them pretty well since they teach for all three quarters.

As for the chemistry placement exam, it takes place during orientation which is the end of September, and it is nothing like what is on the PCAT. The exam is much harder and emphasize more on o-chem; it's not multiple choice either. I personally did not take the exam because I didn't prepare for it, and I don't know anyone that pass the exam without some major studying. I think only a handful of my classmates actually pass the exam, so the majority of us had to take the class.

Good luck with the whole process!:)

i looked at the interview schedule in the office and the first interview is on 1/30 and are scheduled through the end of april.

Members don't see this ad :)
The lecture halls and labs are not too close to the construction sites, and I don't recall any instances which I can even hear the machinery during class. The only bad thing about the construction though is that you'll have to walk outside to get between the classrooms and the student lounge.

The anatomy classes, I would say are mostly observation so far. I've only had a quarter and a half, but we haven't done much dissections. Although you don't actually get to do the actually dissections, we do use a lot of human specimens which you can touch all you want. But I would say that both anatomy professors are excellent and makes classes and labs very fun, and you'll actually get to know them pretty well since they teach for all three quarters.

As for the chemistry placement exam, it takes place during orientation which is the end of September, and it is nothing like what is on the PCAT. The exam is much harder and emphasize more on o-chem; it's not multiple choice either. I personally did not take the exam because I didn't prepare for it, and I don't know anyone that pass the exam without some major studying. I think only a handful of my classmates actually pass the exam, so the majority of us had to take the class.

Good luck with the whole process!:)

Good to know--- thanks for the response!

*sigh* the woe of being out-of-state

i looked at the interview schedule in the office and the first interview is on 1/30 and are scheduled through the end of april.

oh yay! do you happen to know what days of the week they are on? Especially for out-of-staters, do they try to do them on Fridays/Mondays?

*sigh* the woe of being out-of-state

seriously! :( but we've just got to try to be patient and keep our hopes up for that email! good luck!

I submitted my application in mid-december also. I haven't received a confirmation e-mail or anything. (I think my e-mail .edu e-mail doesn't work, I'm going to call the tech tomorrow).

I read somewhere that you get an e-mail requesting you to call in for an interview slot? Will they call me or e-mail me about an interview? Please let me know thanks.

I submitted my application in mid-december also. I haven't received a confirmation e-mail or anything. (I think my e-mail .edu e-mail doesn't work, I'm going to call the tech tomorrow).

I read somewhere that you get an e-mail requesting you to call in for an interview slot? Will they call me or e-mail me about an interview? Please let me know thanks.

Email you apparently

I'm also waiting to hear back from UW. I sent in my PharmCAS app, back in October, and waited a little longer to turn in my supplemental app (mid December). I know many graduates of the pharamcy program at UW,and some current year 2,3,4 students, and some of them have told me that they didn't hear back from UW till February and March. Trying to be patient, but like many of you I'm also nervous. I'll let you guys know when I hear from UWSOP.

Email you apparently

Ahh yes, I got my e-mail situation fixed. I guess I was never notified of a new e-mail system they had set up. So all my e-mail was being forwarded to some online outlook program.... I got a confirmation e-mail from UW 01/24 that they have my completed application and are in the process of reviewing it. Now I am relieved... I thought they didn't even receive any of my stuff.

Now the waiting time.... What do you guys think the bare minimum stats to get an interview?

What I'm trying to ask is what is the borderline where they have to interview the person based on their gpa, ect...? Would a 3.5 gpa, pharmacy experience, 80 Pcat qualify you at least an interview?

Finally got my status email. I guess there was some issue when they originally attempted to email it. Thankfully, all materials are accounted for and my application is complete. The waiting continues.....!

Finally got my status email. I guess there was some issue when they originally attempted to email it. Thankfully, all materials are accounted for and my application is complete. The waiting continues.....!

Yeah I feel you. Glad everything is accounted for! When did you submit your app? I did it in mid December.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted mine mid-december as well. My PharmCAS app was submitted in October.

Im out of state and I just got notified that I have been accepted for an interview, but wanted to clear up some things with my prereqs first. So I assume this is about the time out of state applicants should start hearing.

Im out of state and I just got notified that I have been accepted for an interview, but wanted to clear up some things with my prereqs first. So I assume this is about the time out of state applicants should start hearing.

can you share with us when did you apply? thanks

Just got an email stating that the admissions committee is currently evaluating my application. It Probably just means I have more waiting to do, but I'm hoping maybe I'll be notified soon to request an interview date.

can you share with us when did you apply? thanks

I sent my completed supplemental application in mid December. My PharmCAS was completed a month prior to that.

I sent my completed supplemental application in mid December. My PharmCAS was completed a month prior to that.

:-( I submitted my supplement in the beginning of December and complete my pharmcas in sept. But I haven't heard anything except for they have received my apps. is it a bad sign?

crusher, do you mind telling us what ur stats are?

I was reviewing the statistics for admissions. Interestingly UW accepts more out of state applicants than most schools. Do they have some sort of quota to meet? I understand some states in the northwest don't have pharmacy schools and must share. Is this the case?

I was reviewing the statistics for admissions. Interestingly UW accepts more out of state applicants than most schools. Do they have some sort of quota to meet? I understand some states in the northwest don't have pharmacy schools and must share. Is this the case?

I think that they do share, but from my understanding of it they count as in-state rather than out-of-state students. Therefore, they pay in-state tuition and all that. Does anyone have a better grasp of this and whether this applies to Washington?

I think that they do share, but from my understanding of it they count as in-state rather than out-of-state students. Therefore, they pay in-state tuition and all that. Does anyone have a better grasp of this and whether this applies to Washington?

I went to an information session and spoke with an admissions counselor. I asked this question specifically and she said that although students from underrepresented states (States with no Pharmacy Schools of their own) are eligible to pay in-state tuition, they are considered out of state in terms of class statistics.

Also, she said that UW usually recieves about 75% out of state applicants and only 25% applicants from Washington. However, their entering class is usually 25% out of state and 75% in state. She assured me that the flip flop did not reflect a preference by the admissions committee for Washington residents. The out of state residents that apply just tend to be less qualified. It probably has something to do with students applying to schools closer to them. Anyway, the only time they prefer in-staters over out-of-staters is when all other criteria for weeding out applicants has been exhausted and there is a tie between two applicants. When this happens, they are required by state law to admit the in-stater over the out-of-stater.

I went to an information session and spoke with an admissions counselor. I asked this question specifically and she said that although students from underrepresented states (States with no Pharmacy Schools of their own) are eligible to pay in-state tuition, they are considered out of state in terms of class statistics.

Also, she said that UW usually recieves about 75% out of state applicants and only 25% applicants from Washington. However, their entering class is usually 25% out of state and 75% in state. She assured me that the flip flop did not reflect a preference by the admissions committee for Washington residents. The out of state residents that apply just tend to be less qualified. It probably has something to do with students applying to schools closer to them. Anyway, the only time they prefer in-staters over out-of-staters is when all other criteria for weeding out applicants has been exhausted and there is a tie between two applicants. When this happens, they are required by state law to admit the in-stater over the out-of-stater.

Oh that's good.....I think.....maybe......

I'm also a P1 at UW this year, and I know that they started the interviews a bit later because there are many more applicants this year. Last year, they started to send acceptance letters around March, but they were still interviewing at the time. So if you still haven't heard in a month or two, don't get discouraged, especially if you're out of state. Like someone mentioned before, most out-of-staters get interviewed later, and many of my classmates did get late interviews, but still got in.

FYI, my stats were
gpa: 3.6
PCAT: 95
experience: volunteered at a hospital pharmacy for 1 year and worked in a lab for a year
and i am in state

feel free to ask any questions about the school, program, etc.
hi,,hanpark520
I have applied to UW this year.. and I'm still waiting to hear from them..
I have sent my application on the day of deadline, Jan 4th.
how long do you think I need to wait to hear from them about interview or (even though I do not want to think about it), rejection letter?
I'm in state..(I go to UW..)
you said that there were more applicants who applied than usual? do you know how many?

thank you so much~~

I'm also a P1 at UW this year, and I know that they started the interviews a bit later because there are many more applicants this year. Last year, they started to send acceptance letters around March, but they were still interviewing at the time. So if you still haven't heard in a month or two, don't get discouraged, especially if you're out of state. Like someone mentioned before, most out-of-staters get interviewed later, and many of my classmates did get late interviews, but still got in.

FYI, my stats were
gpa: 3.6
PCAT: 95
experience: volunteered at a hospital pharmacy for 1 year and worked in a lab for a year
and i am in state

feel free to ask any questions about the school, program, etc.

hi,,hanpark520
I was just wondering whether I can ask you some questions.
how long do you think I need to wait to hear from them about interview or (even though I do not want to think about it), rejection letter?
you said that there were more applicants who applied than usual? do you know how many?

thank you so much~~

hi,,hanpark520
I was just wondering whether I can ask you some questions.

thank you so much~~

Did you already receive the confirmation email regarding the admissions office getting all your materials in the application?
I don't know the exact number of applicants, but it's more than last year, which was 520 from the website.
Interviews started only last Wed, so don't panic, it's still very early in the interview process. As for interviews, you can hear from them through April. I don't know about rejection letters though, but I think they send them out in April/May.

Did you already receive the confirmation email regarding the admissions office getting all your materials in the application?
I don't know the exact number of applicants, but it's more than last year, which was 520 from the website.
Interviews started only last Wed, so don't panic, it's still very early in the interview process. As for interviews, you can hear from them through April. I don't know about rejection letters though, but I think they send them out in April/May.

Hi, Han~
Thank you for your help.. :D
No, I have not received anything from UWSOP even though I received a confirmation email from pharmcas that they have sent my application to the school..
Just one more question for you... When should I start to prepare for the interview with my hope of receiving an invitation to the interview? I have been tried to sign up for the mock interviews and read the pharm. magazines, but due to the midterms and projects for winter quarter classes, it is just really hard for me to be persistent on doing both at the same time. Especially I'm taking the upper level of biology substitution classes for the intro bio series as well as repeating O.chem series, so I have been putting double amount of effort and time to do well in the classes.
would it be a better idea to wait till I get a confirmation email from UWSOP, and then start to prepare for the interview?
sorry, I'm just so confused what I need to do...:confused:

thanks a lot~~

Hi, Han~
Thank you for your help.. :D
No, I have not received anything from UWSOP even though I received a confirmation email from pharmcas that they have sent my application to the school..
Just one more question for you... When should I start to prepare for the interview with my hope of receiving an invitation to the interview? I have been tried to sign up for the mock interviews and read the pharm. magazines, but due to the midterms and projects for winter quarter classes, it is just really hard for me to be persistent on doing both at the same time. Especially I'm taking the upper level of biology substitution classes for the intro bio series as well as repeating O.chem series, so I have been putting double amount of effort and time to do well in the classes.
would it be a better idea to wait till I get a confirmation email from UWSOP, and then start to prepare for the interview?
sorry, I'm just so confused what I need to do...:confused:

thanks a lot~~

It depends on the person. If you think that you need a lot of preparation for the interview, maybe you'll want to start early. From the time they contact you about an interview to the actual interview date, it's only about a week or two, so I don't know if that's enough time for you to prepare. I don't know if you checked out the interview feedback section of this forum, but I find it very useful because it gives you an idea of what kind of questions to expect. Although it is a formal interview, all the interviewers are very nice and laid-back, so just remember to relax and be yourself. (I know it's hard though.):p
As for the confirmation email, maybe you'll want to contact them to make sure that they have all the application materials since it has been a month already.

Thank you so much for your help~~~
I really do feel relieved once I hear some suggestions from you.. :laugh:
yes,, I'll try to contact them early in the morning tomorrow.
Maybe contacting them via email is better than calling, right?

Thanks again.

you will be still checking this website pretty often in later times, right?

If that is alright, may I get your email address?
is there any other way I can get it automatically?
I'm not really familiar with this forum... :p

For anyone that had a late interview, did you get accepted to any other schools? I ask because I'm also applying to the one Colorado and they send out acceptance letters ~the first week of April. If I get a late interview to Washington and then don't get accepted, I won't know until after the deadline for accepting the invite to Colorado. And then I'd be screwed.

For those that have interviewed, has anyone received any kind of response from UW yet besides a survey on the interview process? I need to get an accurate timeline before I can start freaking out :eek: and bombard the admissions office with questions on my status.

For those that have interviewed, has anyone received any kind of response from UW yet besides a survey on the interview process? I need to get an accurate timeline before I can start freaking out :eek: and bombard the admissions office with questions on my status.

I'm pretty sure that the very first interviews UW held this year were on January 31. It's only Feb 13 today-- two weeks! Give them at least until March before bombardment, I think. :)

I'm pretty sure that the very first interviews UW held this year were on January 31. It's only Feb 13 today-- two weeks! Give them at least until March before bombardment, I think. :)

jan 31st? Really? I havent heard of anyone on this board who has gotten an interview .... hmm.

jan 31st? Really? I havent heard of anyone on this board who has gotten an interview .... hmm.

Well then go to the first page. Apparently Sea Pharm and Street Spirit got interview offers.

Haha, I guess I will wait like everyone else. From talking with friends in the program, many heard back either in March or even in April, though they did have their interviews during this time as well.

For those that have interviewed (streetspirit and seapharm), what was the format of the interview, were they stressful, lowkey, etc?

For those that have interviewed (streetspirit and seapharm), what was the format of the interview, were they stressful, lowkey, etc?

We first waited in a break room near most of the offices for about 30 minutes as they prepared a room for us to do our essay. We then went to said room and had 30 minutes to write an essay on the spot, with everyone who was interviewing that day. For me, there were three people.

The interview itself was fairly laid back, with many of the questions derived from my supplemental essays, on-site essay, and application overall. I was especially surprised as I thought they would ask a lot of technical pharmacy questions and ethical dilemmas.

They also take note of what you say and follow it up with further questions to help elaborate or belabor your given stance on a question. It wasn't too stressful overall as my interviewers were really nice and fairly chill. I think they just wanted to see what kind of person you really are and if you can communicate effectively.

Though vague, I hope this helps in any way.

Thank you StreetSpirit, that was very helpful and informative.

I interviewed on 1/30 (I was the 2nd person they interviewed this year), I second what Street Spirit said above about the interview process. I also took the tour they offered at 12:30, I did not go to UW for under grad so I wanted to get a better look at the dark health sciences building. I have not heard anything back other than the survey. They said they would start letting folks know March 1st at the earliest. My life right now is one big waiting game!!

does anyone know when UW will send out invitation for the next interview round? thanks

does anyone know when UW will send out invitation for the next interview round? thanks

UW has interviews every week. So I imagine they would send out invitations every week or every 2 weeks.

UW has interviews every week. So I imagine they would send out invitations every week or every 2 weeks.

Hey hanpark,

I was wondering how your interview went. Did you feel really good coming out of it? Or did you feel ok or did you think it went horribly? Thanks!

Hey hanpark,

I was wondering how your interview went. Did you feel really good coming out of it? Or did you feel ok or did you think it went horribly? Thanks!

I'm actually a first year student at the UW, so my interview was last year.
But I remembered coming out feeling I did ok, that I could've answered some of the questions better. Since I got in, I'm sure all of you will too.:)

Do you know for certain that UW has been having interviews each week? I only know what I hear on SDN and it seemed like there had only been one round so far. I am still waiting to hear from them...anyone else still waiting for an interview?

Yeah, UW has been having interviews every week. I know a few people who have had theirs last week and the week before. I'm not sure if they have it everyday, but I know for sure that there are at least interviews every MWF of the week.

Yeah, UW has been having interviews every week. I know a few people who have had theirs last week and the week before. I'm not sure if they have it everyday, but I know for sure that there are at least interviews every MWF of the week.

Sad! That makes me nervous. Are they almost done interviewing people for the class of 2008? And does anyone know how many total applicants there are?

Awww...I wouldn't lose hope yet. It has only been 3 weeks. They interview into March, and maybe even April. They are nowhere near done with the interviewing. I think this year there are 700 applicants, and about 200 interviews offered -- but that's what I heard from others, so I wouldn't rely on those numbers. But don't worry! I know for sure that interviews go into March, so you still have time.

How long does it take them to email you back after getting the completion email?

I received my completion email on the 31st of January and have not received any other correspondence since then. I'm not too worried yet though, since I know they have a large number of applications to review and because I turned my supplemental application closer to the deadline.