University of Washington Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To those who've received interview invites, when did you get them? I mean this as in, did you get the invite a week before your interview date? Two weeks before?

Members don't see this ad.

To those who've received interview invites, when did you get them? I mean this as in, did you get the invite a week before your interview date? Two weeks before?

Hi there. I have an interview coming up, and I found out I think nine days before my interview date. They do work with your schedule though. Sounds like they hold interviews a few times a week.

At first I was pretty excited, but now the nervousness is kicking in. To those who have interviewed with UW so far, would it be appropriate to bring my purse and a book to read (while I wait, of course)? I have quite a bit of time between my essay and my interview.

I got my interview invitation one week before the interview itself.

It would definitely be appropriate to bring a book to read. In the waiting area, there are a number of pharmacy-related magazines, which were interesting, but there's no reason not to bring a book of your own. You can leave it in the waiting area during the interview, though of course you'd want to bring your purse into the interview room. (I didn't bring a purse, just my car keys.) I had about an hour between the essay and the interview, and two hours between the interview and the tour; a book would've been nice.

On the plus side for anyone coming up for an interview soon-- the weather here has been absolutely gorgeous the last few days. Hopefully it will continue that way!

Members don't see this ad :)
man this wait is killin me.........i really do hope i get an interview invite. Univ. Wash is my top choice ... I hope theres not too many competitive out of staters:laugh:

i'm waiting for my interview invitation as well... i'm an out of state student. i just got back from my interview at the university of colorado and two other students besides me also applied to UW. the one who lived in seattle already received an interview and the other (who was an out of state student) did not. guess us out-of-staters are just going to have to keep on waiting

I didn't apply to UW. I figured since WSU increased their Pre-Reqs, most ppl in WA state would apply to UW instead.

Good luck to everyone that applied to UW!

Still waiting....any out of staters hear anything? Does UW not take that many out of staters?

still waiting too. but percentage-wise they seem to take more out of staters than a lot of other schools. given their class size though, that may still be less than other schools

I was contacted yesterday for an interview but declined it. I'm out-of-state and submitted pharmcas in october. Good luck to you guys!

if i get an interview i think i will decline. if they wanted me... they would've offered me one by now. tiz all good... i got an interview to the other 6 schools i applied to. their loss =)

I'm still waiting to hear from them. I submitted mine in December though....

I got interview invite two weeks ago, but I declined it. I submitted my sup almost on the last day of deadline.

I got interview invite two weeks ago, but I declined it. I submitted my sup almost on the last day of deadline.

are you an instate or out-of-state student? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't mind me asking, why did you decline?

still waiting...submitted it in Dec

anyone here who has interviewed from out of state? Im assuming not. In-staters declining is good for us out of staters ;)

I'm still waiting to hear about an interview from UW. I've gotten interview offers from 5 others schools and I haven't heard anything from UW.

I'm still waiting to hear about an interview from UW. I've gotten interview offers from 5 others schools and I haven't heard anything from UW.

I'm on the same boat. Congrats on your other interviews!!!

I'm an out-of-stater, and I just got a phone call from UW today for an interview invite. I hope the rest of you hear soon!

I'm an out-of-stater, and I just got a phone call from UW today for an interview invite. I hope the rest of you hear soon!

Congrats! =) do you mind me asking your statS?

wow, congratulation! I'm still waiting to hear from them.

Congrats! =) do you mind me asking your statS?

Thanks, and sure:

GPA:3.98
PCAT: 95
Experience: None (except for shadowing a pharmacist for a few days).
I've been pretty involved in extracurriculars in college, have had a number of research experiences in chemistry, and have a part-time tutoring job.

Oh nice! you have really good stats...when are you scheduled for an interview?

Thanks, and sure:

GPA:3.98
PCAT: 95
Experience: None (except for shadowing a pharmacist for a few days).
I've been pretty involved in extracurriculars in college, have had a number of research experiences in chemistry, and have a part-time tutoring job.

Has anyone who has already inerviewed at UW heard back yet??? I wish they would tell us something soon....

Every time I see that this thread has updated, I think to myself, "Someone got an acceptance letter!" And then it's not that. Hopefully soon?

I haven't heard anything back yet, either. :p

I know, I thought I would be satisfied after my interview and that I could just relax. But now, I can't stop thinking about it.

Before the application process, I was under the impression that UW did rolling admissions. However, I've heard that, with the exception of a few very competitive students, they wait and evaluate all of the students at once after interviews are over. Does anyone know which it is?

From what I understand, a majority of the admissions decisions are made at the end of the interview process, typically late April. I have talked to a number of current and former students of UWSOP and asked them when they heard back regarding admissions, and for many of them it was not until Late April and even early May. To add to this, I have heard that UWSOP lost some key support staff important in admissions and that this is causing the process to move slower this year relative to previous years. I guess this just means the waiting will continue.

Oh man thats means more time that my family will be bugging me about getting into UW. I will have to keep telling that I have to wait and can't rush the process along

I know a UWSOP student that had her interview late February and didn't hear back until late april last year.

So don't lose hope guys!

Oh nice! you have really good stats...when are you scheduled for an interview?

Thanks :) My interview's going to be on the 24th. We'll see what happens, and hopefully we won't have to wait tooo long for the results.

okk,, so if I still haven't heard from them about the interview,,
does that mean it is all over and just need to start looking into next year application? I submitted my both applications(supple and pharm. on the due date...
I have no hope anymore??:eek:

i just called....850 applicants this year....they havent finished reviewing ALL of the applications yet including mine...so those of you that havent heard anything...yours probalby havent been reviewed yet.

AH... I receive a phone call to set up an interview for Washington. I am very excited. :D

you guys shouldn't lose hope
the interview schedule posted in the office is through April:)

Just curious. Has anyone gotten a rejection yet? If so do they inform you of rejection by email/phone or by snail mail?

From what I understand, a majority of the admissions decisions are made at the end of the interview process, typically late April. I have talked to a number of current and former students of UWSOP and asked them when they heard back regarding admissions, and for many of them it was not until Late April and even early May. To add to this, I have heard that UWSOP lost some key support staff important in admissions and that this is causing the process to move slower this year relative to previous years. I guess this just means the waiting will continue.

The information packet they e-mailed before the interview said that highly competitive applicants would be given an offer of admission as early as March 1st....so, it seems that all the decisions are not made at the end of the interview process. I interviewed at the end of Jan, I'm still waiting. The wait is beginning to feel painful. A lot is riding on my acceptance, not getting in means a HUGE move across the country!

I think the packet pdf said as early as March, but didn't specify March 1st. I figure that's a good thing-- I may not like waiting, but I prefer the wait to the idea of acceptance letters being sent out and not getting one! :D Apparently the big meeting in late April/early May is when (most of?) the acceptances are decided and the waitlist is created.

So is UW your first choice then, Sea Pharm? I seem to recall that you got into a few other schools, too.

The information packet they e-mailed before the interview said that highly competitive applicants would be given an offer of admission as early as March 1st....so, it seems that all the decisions are not made at the end of the interview process. I interviewed at the end of Jan, I'm still waiting. The wait is beginning to feel painful. A lot is riding on my acceptance, not getting in means a HUGE move across the country!

The same thing for me if I don't get in I have to move to Pennsylvania

Hey guys,

Out-of-stater here. I just received an interview invite today. However, I went ahead and turned it down, since I was accepted to my top choice a couple of weeks ago. Good luck to all! UW is a great school.

I noticed that some people are starting to get interview invites to UW. I wanted to post some interview questions that I've accumulated from UW students that applied in previous years. I didn't apply to UW or anything so I figure I'd give back and pass the information along:

- Why do you want to become a pharmacist?
- What can you contribute to this school?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses as a student?
- Why did you choose UW School of Pharmacy?
- What makes you a better candidate than other people?
- how do you deal with stressful situations?
- What are you goals in two years, 5 years, 10 years?
- Describe yourself and what qualities can you contribute to the program.
- What do you want to gain from this school upon completion?

Some other pointers that people gave me:

- Have specific examples to back up whatever you said in your application. This is most important. Having these at the ready allows the interviewers to know you better, and allows you to relax because you know you are ready. I was asked to describe an incident in which I withheld a harsh judgment of someone.

- There were no general questions in my interview, only specific ones, and I gave only very specific answers. Specificity in answering conveys a more thoughtful approach to the interview.

- I was asked what I'd do if someone in my group project was slacking. You're all over them about it, privately of course. Case closed.

- I should add- speak louder than you think you need to. Our class contains few "wallflowers". Make the interviewers' jobs easier- speak clearly, be informed about the profession, and be energetic.

- My interview overall was easy, actually enjoyable. It helped that my interviewers were very sharp folks who knew what they were doing. Which brings me to my last point (finally!). When you get into this school, you're going to be surrounded by a bunch of smart people, which might take some getting used to at first, but is worth it in the long run. Be prepared, have fun, and you will get in.

Best of luck everyone, I know you all will do well!

are there seriously 850 applicants? if they only accept 86 like the previous years thats only a 10% acceptance rate. thats pretty competitive.

are there seriously 850 applicants? if they only accept 86 like the previous years thats only a 10% acceptance rate. thats pretty competitive.

Seriously. And I wonder how many total applicants they had. I think 850 is the number of applicants that had all their prereqs, a gpa and pcat above the minimum, etc.

hey all, the first wave of accepted will receive letters (and probably emails) within 10 days...

its happening fast...

I will be turning down my interview. Hope this opens up a spot for someone else :)

I was talking to a grad today about the interview process at UW, because I had walked out of it thinking that I had failed the questions with one interviewer, but nailed the questions with the other two.

Apparently, they have a set up where two faculty are warm and gentle, while the other one is hypercritical and straight faced.

I guess it gets you ready for the scrutiny of patients, but it is a little unsettling.

Perhaps, knowing this tidbit might help some of you relax (you probably did better than you think!).

And regarding my initial post, it was from an email. They will most likely email first to let you know a real acceptance letter will be in the mail, so check your spam and make sure you have the current email setup with them.

ALSO! A friend of mine interviewed in early April last year, and got in without a waitlist, so don't worry (unless you find this post in May, then worry.)

Does anyone know how often UW sends out acceptances? Is it in waves, like once in early March, once in April and once in May? Or is it on a weekly basis, starting now, kind of like how it was for interview notifications? Thanks!

hey all, the first wave of accepted will receive letters (and probably emails) within 10 days...

its happening fast...

DJABORGEN---How did you find out about this? Did you get an acceptance e-mail OR did the grad student you mentioned in your second post tell you?

Thx!