University of Washington or Oregon State University for pre-med?

dadum12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I am a high school senior deciding between OSU honors and UW for pre-med. I get in-state tuition for OSU and am in the honors program there and I have to pay out-of-state tuition for UW. I really like UW and would love to go there but would have to take out approximately $15,000 in loans and OSU is cheaper but I don't really know if it is good for pre-med. I really need help on deciding which one I should attend for pre-med. Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Both of these schools will provide you with a fine education. The question you have to ask yourself is which one did you feel was the best fit? Also tuition provides a huge role, do you want to be in a lot of debt now or save that for medical school. I personally went to OSU, that have decent pre-med advisins, which is helpful when it come to applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I realize saving $15k would be nice, but if you'd enjoy UW more I wouldn't let that stop you. Plus, UW has a medical school associated with it, which might help your chances of getting accepted.

Good luck!

UW's attached medical school will not help you get in. In fact, the undergraduate program at UW would put you at a serious DISadvantage when applying for medical school. That being said, I agree that you need to go with the best fit for you. Where can you see yourself being involved, seeking out the best opportunities, and making the most of your undergraduate years? OSU can suit you well for getting into medical school, but only if YOU are serious about it. You can do well regardless of which school you choose. If you are interested in research (which can help you get into a good medical school), then UW is one of the last places that you should go for undergrad. I hope this helps.

x

Last edited:
Why would you say that? UW gets more federal research money than any other public university.

I doubt that's true. Have a source with that? And are you referring to the school of medicine? If so, that has nothing to do with whether undergrads get decent (or any) opportunity to conduct research.

If you are an Oregon resident, it will be MUCH more difficult to get into UW SOM. Oregon is not WAMI so UW does not take Oregon residents. OHSU on the other hand will. But it does not matter where you do your undergrad as long as you do well.

Good luck
Dsoz

x

Last edited:
No I am referring to the school as a whole, not just the school of medicine. As a whole UW had 1.5 billion in total research funding last year and has has received more federal funding than any other public school for some 20 years running. I'm on mobile or I'd send you link, but it can be verified on uw's annual research report and Wikipedia makes reference to it as well.

So believe what you want, but you couldn't be at a better public school for research than UW.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Total dollars does not mean opportunities for undergraduates. And it just so happens I did find a better school for research: WSU. Research was required as part of my major

x

Last edited:
LOL should have known you were a coug.. Only a coug would say UW puts you at a disadvantage when applying to medical schools and that it's not a good research school for undergrads :D. You didn't go to UW so not really sure how you're evaluating their undergrad research opportunities, but whatever...

:laugh: True, I am a biased Coug!:D Die hard. But that doesn't mean that we Cougs aren't networked in with UW undergrads who have encountered the nightmare that is finding research opportunities over there.

GO COUGS!!

x

Last edited: