University of Washington, seattle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joseppi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the difference is between the 3-year and 4-year integrated program at UW? My guess is that the 3 yr is a PGY-2 spot and 4 yr includes intern year? Please verify. If anyone is in this program could they comment on it?

thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Axm397 is right -- the categorical program includes the first year (intern year) -- but this intern year differs from the UW preliminary medicine year. The PMR intern year has around 24 weeks of medicine, with the other time being composed of rotations like ER, neuro, pain, geriatrics, ortho, neurosurg, and rehab -- the bread and butter stuff that should lay a decent foundation for your next 3 years in PMR.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is UW categorical year different that other categorical programs? DO other programs spend all year in med with some electives? I believe UC Davis has PGY1 spots as well. Any insight there?

From my interviews, three programs had categorical spots.

UPenn became exclusively categorical this year. Their curriculum was not set at the time we submitted our rank list but it sounded like most prelim medicine years with a couple rehab electives.

Baylor had a prelim/transitional spot that you could apply for - your PM&R interview counted as interview for intern year. I also remember that year to be like a medicine intern year. seemed tougher than some of the transitional/prelim programs I applied to.

RIC has a categorical spot at Northwestern hospital. Their year has 3 months of rehab built into it. (no call, no weekends) In addition, during the PGY2 year, while the other residents do 11+months of inpatient rehab, the categoricals get a 3 month break to do int. med (I think very light schedule - no call???) So overall, it's a very attractive position. Most of the residents who did the categorical program loved it. It's also a good way of getting a head start on learning the system, living in Chicago, etc.

hope this helps.

Other categorical programs:

UVA has (I think) 3 spots for a four-year program.

UCDavis has 1 spot for a four-year program (of 3 spots total).

UNC is a four-year program.

Pitt is a four-year program.

UT-San Antonio also is a 4 year program...

1/2 prelim first year, 2nd half the next year

On Service months on Rehab

Off Service months on Ortho, SICU, Neurosurgery, Geriatrics, Internal Medicine, Rheumatology