University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been called for an interview yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Teg said:
Has anyone been called for an interview yet?

They have already started doing the interviews (I was in class and I saw the 2nd year students giving tours)... But I believe the majority of applicants won't hear back until later. Last year I didn't hear back until late Feb and my interview was early March. Just be patient and wait. The majority of the interviews are conducted in Feb, March, and April. So there's still lots of time.

Good luck!!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
DaPharmacist said:
I have my interview at UW tomorrow. Wish me luck. :)

Congratulations on getting an interview! :) How did it go?

Teg said:
Congratulations on getting an interview! :) How did it go?

It went pretty good. A lot better than last year's, so hopefully I'm in this year.

Anyone have comments on Univ. of Washington's curriculum, faculty, students, location, transportation, etc? Why you chose or didn't choose U-Dub? Thanks!

I'm just starting CC in the state of Washington. I do plan on applying to pharm school once i get my AA and finish my prereqs. Anybody have any pros/cons to Wa State vs. Univ of WA vs. Idaho St.? Any info would be appreciated.

Also, what kind of information is requested on the application to pharmacy school? Going into the Army the recruiters sell you hook line and sinker on how much better an app looks with military experience in general. Well, now that I'm out.. I guess we'll see, lol.

Thanks in advance,
jumpinmp

Yeah I got up again at 9:45. But, then I found out that one of my friends got matched to his top residency choice and I forgot to reply. Then I went out of town for the day. Anyhoo, I just got in and it's way late. There is now a big fat sticky note on my monitor telling me to reply to this thread tomorrow morning. :laugh:

hugstugs99 said:
Anyone have comments on Univ. of Washington's curriculum, faculty, students, location, transportation, etc? Why you chose or didn't choose U-Dub? Thanks!
Curriculum - UW is usually one of the better ranked pharmacy schools when those unoffical surveys come out every few years. Flu shots, emergency contraceptive protocols, and things like that are actively promoted here. We are pretty liberal, I suppose, in relation to other schools. Although, I daresay we are all very shocked to meet people from other schools and discover that our approaches to patient care are very different.

Faculty - We have some awesome faculty members. Don Downing and Jackie Gardner have done a ton of things that have gotten media coverage. You could google them. There is one instructor who drives everyone nuts, though. You just have to live through it. :) Also, I should mention that the faculty is very supportive and approachable. We do not have an attrition rate, as the faculty and administration will generally work with you to make sure you get back on track. They intermingle alot with students. The Dean buys pitchers at a local bar on Friday afternoons for anyone who wants to go. :laugh:

Students - My class of 87 students is like a family. We are not competitive, but rather help each other out at every opportunity. It's small and everyone knows each other by name. We don't get to intermingle a ton with people from other classes outside of electives and student groups, which kind of bites. There are a ton of student organizations and tons of people wanting to do leadership activities. I cannot rave enough about my classmates. Also, everyone accepts each other for who they are. For example, I have an openly gay classmate, and not only does he not get flack, but he has our support, 100%. When I was in the process of getting divorced, I had 3 classmates offer to let me stay with them if I needed to.

Location - Being in Seattle gives us an advantage in that we have alot of guest speakers and alumni who come in to share their experiences with us. There are also a ton and a variety of internship experiences available. Seattle is a bit expensive to live in, but you can get roommates (I recommend other professional or graduate students) or live in an outlying area and bus in. Parking bites. The closer you are to campus the more expensive and the poorer the housing quality, IMO. I live in Tacoma and commute on an express bus. If I were to move up north, I'd choose to live on the 405 corridor, east of Seattle, or someplace north of the city. It would drive me nuts to deal with the traffic and parking in the city itself. And, you are going to need a car to get to work.

Transportation - The bus is the way to go. You can drive and park, but traffic bites and the parking lot is far away. The best bet is to live on a transit route. They are all over, so it's not too bad. Plus, you can pay $35 a quarter and get a U-Pass which allows you to ride Metro and Sound Transit busses for the entire quarter. It pays for itself fast. Also, there are bus stops right in front of the health sciences complex, which is awesome.

I chose UW because I am local and didn't see any reason to bother leaving the state when I had a great school right in my own backyard.

Hey banana,

Thanks a ton for replying. From what I've read, this is your second year there. So you applied for the Fall 2003? How many people got interviewed that year? Any clue? If it's not too much to ask, how did your application look (ie. gpa, pcat, any degree, extracurriculars). I'll understand if you'd rather not reply with some of this info, but any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
jumpinmp

I began in Fall of 2003. I'm not sure how many people interviewed that year. I actually applied for 2 years in a row to get into UW. The first year, my interview stunk. My stats were 3.69GPA and 99th percentile (old) PCAT. I had previously worked as a pharmacy technician in WA state. The grades, PCAT, and letters of reference are what will get you to the interview. Everything else is considered in the interview and beyond.

Hey, banana

Thanks a lot. I'll let you go take another 300 hour nap now ;)