University of Waterloo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I chose UW over UT for the following reasons:

-When I went for the interviews at both schools, I preferred the UW atmosphere. I enjoyed talking to the staff, 1st year students, and applicants. In UT, I felt uncomfortable and the process was more stressful.

-smaller class size

-paid co-op experience

-less hectic city atmosphere

-cheaper rent

-more time to get ready for Pharmacy school as it starts in January

It was a tough decision. Although I chose UW over UT, I initially wanted UT when I first applied.
yeah paid co-op is realy a big +

Members don't see this ad.

BTW, did all of you receive your "official letters" in the mail today???
It's so nice that Canada Post is finally back to work ;)

no havnt received anything yet...has anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I'm torn between UBC and Waterloo Pharmacy

Deep down I really want to come to Waterloo, but there is one thing that makes me want to stay at UBC. Its my girlfriend, and we have been together for almost four years. She motivated me to apply to pharmacy and encouraged me to stay strong when many times I almost gave up because I was under alot of stress from studying.

Now I want opinions from you guys, as to what you would do in this situation.

I really want to come to this awesome new school and new environment, but I have one person that I don't want to leave behind and most likely break up with.

thanks

Hi guys,

Deep down I really want to come to Waterloo, but there is one thing that makes me want to stay at UBC. Its my girlfriend, and we have been together for almost four years. She motivated me to apply to pharmacy and encouraged me to stay strong when many times I almost gave up because I was under alot of stress from studying.

I really want to come to this awesome new school and new environment, but I have one person that I don't want to leave behind and most likely break up with.

thanks

I can see that being really hard especially considering the structure of the Waterloo curriculum such that we barely get any breaks with the co-op. So it would be hard for you to go back to BC. Would she consider moving here?

Personally, if I were in your position I would go with UBC, a degree is a degree and whether you get it from UBC or UW it won't make a difference in the long run.

I know from experience it can be really hard being so far away from someone that is such a big source of support for you, so my immediate reaction to your scenario is UBC.

good luck!!!

Hi guys,

thanks

If you want my honest opinion, I would stick to UBC... That way, it's more of a win-win situation. Also, there is no doubt that Waterloo has an amazing program, but I think UBC (and for that matter, any pharmacy program in Canada) has a very solid program too.

At the end, it's your call; good luck with the decision :thumbup:

I can see that being really hard especially considering the structure of the Waterloo curriculum such that we barely get any breaks with the co-op. So it would be hard for you to go back to BC. Would she consider moving here?

Personally, if I were in your position I would go with UBC, a degree is a degree and whether you get it from UBC or UW it won't make a difference in the long run.

I know from experience it can be really hard being so far away from someone that is such a big source of support for you, so my immediate reaction to your scenario is UBC.

good luck!!!
Agree with this and with helloeveryone. Both are good programs and in the end, a Pharmacy degree is a degree. Better to stick to ubc to stay with your gf IMO :)

Hello,

I am having a hard time deciding if I should apply this year. My gpa is 3.3 in my first year, is that a good gpa to have? Do alot of second year students get accepted to pharmacy at waterloo? And what gpa do most second year students have? I was wondering if i should wait a year before applying.

Hello,

I am having a hard time deciding if I should apply this year. My gpa is 3.3 in my first year, is that a good gpa to have? Do alot of second year students get accepted to pharmacy at waterloo? And what gpa do most second year students have? I was wondering if i should wait a year before applying.

Do you have any pharmacy experience and/or possible LOR from a pharmacist? I think your GPA is fine....what is your percentage grade btw? If ur only worry is gpa and you have everything else (ie. prereqs, ECs, reference) then you should go for it.

Do you have any pharmacy experience and/or possible LOR from a pharmacist? I think your GPA is fine....what is your percentage grade btw? If ur only worry is gpa and you have everything else (ie. prereqs, ECs, reference) then you should go for it.

thanks for the reply,

i have been volunteering in a pharmacy for the past four months and by the end i should have over 200 hours of experience + LOR from the pharmacist. My percentage grade is 78%.

thanks for the reply,

i have been volunteering in a pharmacy for the past four months and by the end i should have over 200 hours of experience + LOR from the pharmacist. My percentage grade is 78%.

That sounds really good. I would apply if I were you. Try to finish the remaining prereqs this school year, I think it might be preferable to have all prereqs completed by April 2012 (although not necessary).

Also, i kno its still early but work hard on your personal profile....I think the pp really helped me get an interview.

Similar to med school, the school seeks mature and WELL-ROUNDED individuals who are able to communicate well in both a verbal and written setting. It will not hurt you at all that you are only a second year student because all they care is that your prereqs are completed. They do not give preference to someone whose graduated.

Good luck and i think you have a decent shot in getting an interview (assuming your personal profile is well-written).

PS: They will look at your first semester marks of second year so it would be good if u could raise your grade to 80%.

Hello,

I agree with all the posters above, you definitely have a solid chance with a 78% gpa... just keep in mind that the rest of your application (application profile, interview, and WT/RC) are just as important, or maybe even more important, than your gpa.

And to answer your question, I think a fair number of second year students get in... I finished my second year at Western and I know at least 1-2 other people who also finished 2nd year, and we all got in... so it's DEFINITELY possible.

Best of luck with your application, hope to hear good news from you next year :thumbup:

I'm applying for early admission for the class that is commencing in January 2012. It says that the applications will open on August 15th, and it is best apply early even though the deadline is in October. Does that mean Waterloo's going with a rolling admissions type of application process? In other words, people who apply earlier receive interviews earlier, and ultimately get accepted earlier?

Also, does anyone know from previous years how many seats are remaining for early admission? I recall from somewhere that it's about 20 or so.

Hey
Congrats to all of you who got in!
For those who didnt (and want to apply to waterloo pharm next yr) please check out the new 2016 application thread..
best of luck to everyone and congrats to those who will be starting soon!

hey guys,
so turns out you're right, the panels consists of 4 interviewers. I searched google to find out more information about waterloo's interview and I found this article, which I think is very helpful:
http://futurepillpusher.com/index.php?topic=9.0
Also, my friend did the waterloo interview last year (but got rejected) so I asked her about it and supposedly they only had 3 interviewers last year consisting of pharmacists and students and she said the test was a basic journal article (I think her's was psychology based) that you need to summmarize the results and discussion of. She also said that you should be confident and that they will question you back on your answers.
I've decided to reject my interview offer so hopefully one of the sdn members who got rejected will have an interview now :D and I wish you guys all the best on your interview. Hope my information was helpful in some way :)

glad to see you guys find our forum/article useful. unfortunately the website has been over run with bots so i've installed some anti spam mods on it now. sadly it's costing me far too much than i'd like so i may have to close the site down eventually. :(

Is anyone applying for Jan 2012 ? Does anyone know when an applicant should expect to hear about the interview?

Hi

I am a highschooler in BC
I am thinking of taking these courses in grade 12(starting from september 2013)

AP-Chem
Ap-Calculus BC
Pre-Calculus 12
AP-Language Composition
Biology 12
Ap-Studio Art
Ap psychology

Is that too much? Unnecessary?:scared:

My grade 11 grade was 90 average and I am confident that i could earn around 93-95 on grade 12 year, but I don't want to take unnecessary courses and waste time.
Please give me some feedback !! :thumbup::thumbup:

One of my friend got 92 percent everage with 1 year of pharm experience but got rejected.
However he didn't even get an interview

anyone know when admission starts and opens up?