University of Waterloo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yazahra89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here we go again.. :laugh:

Never lose determination!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, nice!

Now I can say that I "belong" to this forum as I will be an applicant for 2012 :) Sooo excited :)

I still think that people will go to the 2011 forum to talk about their interviews, and who got in and who didn't and stuff like that!

So yazahra: since you went through the whole application process, can you explain a little about the procedure? Also I was on the website and I couldn't find how much the application fee was!!!

Best of LUCK to all of us this coming cycle :D

Hey, nice!

Now I can say that I "belong" to this forum as I will be an applicant for 2012 :) Sooo excited :)

I still think that people will go to the 2011 forum to talk about their interviews, and who got in and who didn't and stuff like that!

So yazahra: since you went through the whole application process, can you explain a little about the procedure? Also I was on the website and I couldn't find how much the application fee was!!!

Best of LUCK to all of us this coming cycle :D

I'm actually really excited too!
Alright - so the application fee is around $200.
You apply on the website and pay and you will be sent an email with the instructions for the rest of the application (AP, LOR and Transcript requirements).
The application is very straightforward - you will enjoy it! Just make sure you get a position at a pharmacy so you can gain some experience that will help you when you apply!

Good luck to all those who will apply for Jan 2012!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually really excited too!
Alright - so the application fee is around $200.
You apply on the website and pay and you will be sent an email with the instructions for the rest of the application (AP, LOR and Transcript requirements).
The application is very straightforward - you will enjoy it! Just make sure you get a position at a pharmacy so you can gain some experience that will help you when you apply!

Good luck to all those who will apply for Jan 2012!!

Thank you ;) I've been already working as a pharm. tech for over a year now... but from what I've seen from other people, it seems like I need to have much more!

Thank you ;) I've been already working as a pharm. tech for over a year now... but from what I've seen from other people, it seems like I need to have much more!

Volunteering at an in-patient pharmacy is a great experience also (Hospital Pharmacy).. also, they want a well-rounded person, so make sure you have room for your hobbies cuz they will be asking about those!

Volunteering at an in-patient pharmacy is a great experience also (Hospital Pharmacy).. also, they want a well-rounded person, so make sure you have room for your hobbies cuz they will be asking about those!

Sure, I will keep that in mind. I actually did volunteer at an in patient hospital pharmacy but I only did like 10 hours so not sure if that counts at all!

p.s. how many "spots" were there on the application to state your experiences and stuff?

by the way, lets see if we can beat that gigantic UofT thread this year ;)

Sure, I will keep that in mind. I actually did volunteer at an in patient hospital pharmacy but I only did like 10 hours so not sure if that counts at all!

p.s. how many "spots" were there on the application to state your experiences and stuff?

There were two spots for pharmacy experience (volunteer/work)
I think there was about 5 spots for your jobs (strictly work experience)
and 10 spots for hobbies, volunteer, etc. :)

For all those who plan on applying for 2012, I suggest we introduce ourselves here and go through this year together!

For all those who plan on applying for 2012, I suggest we introduce ourselves here and go through this year together!

I am currently attending the University of Waterloo, and will be applying for the 2012 round as well. Hopefully we get an interview invite this time. Where are the rest of you guys from?

Well, I don't know if I really need to introduce myself :p since I've been here for a really long time!

But for what it's worth: I am from Western and currently finishing my first year of Medical Sciences. I will be an applicant next year to both UofT and UW (hopefully!) I'm super excited for the upcoming admission cycle despite all this government stuff that's going on, and I hope the rest of you are also excited.
As a side note, I was an applicant for UofT this year, but was rejected for having 19th percentile on RC section of PCAT (damn you PCAT and cutoffs) but other than that my GPA and other stuff should be fine.

So I'm really interested to get to know other applicants too: where they are from, what their experiences are like, and whether or not they've been applicants before! Please take the time to tell use about yourselves :)

Let's create a supportive atmosphere and stay away from such things that went on in the UofT forum this year *hint hint*

Best Wishes to All Applicants for This Coming Cycle :D

What year are you guys in?

I'll go ahead and introduce myself as well - I've just completed my second year in the Biomedical Science program at York University. I will be going to my third year next year.
I was an applicant this year for UW School of Pharmacy but was rejected since I was missing three courses. However, my GPA and ECs seem to be very good at the moment.
I'm honestly very excited about applying again since I know the drill now.
I hope this cycle will be a successful one for all of us. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm very curious to see how the "CAP" program at Waterloo will turn out this year!!!
Anyone know why they even bother to come up with such program? Is it because they've had difficulty filling their spots with qualified applicants or what? :confused:

How did you get a volunteering position at the hospital?

How did you get a volunteering position at the hospital?

Each hospital holds volunteering sessions (orientations) for year-round or summer terms. You should apply to the nearest hospitals to you and they will give you a few shifts you can choose from (if the inpatient pharmacy needs some volunteers - you can choose to be with them).

I'm very curious to see how the "CAP" program at Waterloo will turn out this year!!!
Anyone know why they even bother to come up with such program? Is it because they've had difficulty filling their spots with qualified applicants or what? :confused:

Those admitted through the CAP program this year will start their pharmacy year in Jan 2013, since they must complete two years of undergraduate studies at UWaterloo first. I am guessing there will be more compitition in the Jan 2013 admissions cycle.

Those admitted through the CAP program this year will start their pharmacy year in Jan 2013, since they must complete two years of undergraduate studies at UWaterloo first. I am guessing there will be more compitition in the Jan 2013 admissions cycle.

I know, but why did they bother to come up with a program like that? Any thoughts?

just a quick question!!

Does anyone have information about the pros and cons of going to waterloo pharmacy vs toronto?

Thanks

just a quick question!!

Does anyone have information about the pros and cons of going to waterloo pharmacy vs toronto?

Thanks

It's hard to tell since no one will experience being in both programs. But from what I've heard from others, I can list some pros and cons:

Waterloo pros: it has co-op, it has a slightly newer building/facilities, you don't have to take courses like biochem, orgo, stats in your first year of pharmacy (since these are part of prerequisites)...
cons: it hasn't been accredited yet (will become accredited by the end of 2011 likely), it's in Kitchener (some might like the small town feel, some might not), it's a new program so there might be still some problems with regards to the curriculum and stuff, and finally you start one term later than other pharmacy schools.

UofT pros: it's very well established, it's in Toronto (again, some might like it, some might not), I've heard that the profs are really nice and caring towards students.
cons: it doesn't have as much "hands on" experience incorporated into its curriculum (I think only 4 months of training in your 4th year) but with that said, pharmacy student had been able to get summer jobs and stuff up to now (not anymore if this government stuff gets implanted), you have to write the PCAT (pain in neck!!!)...

anyways, that's all I can think of now, I might not be accurate with some of those things I wrote so you should ask other people too...

i was wondering as to how good your pcat scores supposed to be for toronto to get in?

Thanks

It's hard to tell since no one will experience being in both programs. But from what I've heard from others, I can list some pros and cons:

Waterloo pros: it has co-op, it has a slightly newer building/facilities, you don't have to take courses like biochem, orgo, stats in your first year of pharmacy (since these are part of prerequisites)...
cons: it hasn't been accredited yet (will become accredited by the end of 2011 likely), it's in Kitchener (some might like the small town feel, some might not), it's a new program so there might be still some problems with regards to the curriculum and stuff, and finally you start one term later than other pharmacy schools.

It's interesting that you make this remark about the pros of Waterloo cause if I remember last year you were crazed about the nice UofT building (remember all those pics you showed me). Grrr......

Hi guys! I'll also be applying for the Jan 2012 cycle. I just finished my first year at the University of Waterloo. I've also applied to Toronto this year and I have an interview later this month. Waterloo's pharmacy school has been my dream for many years, but I'm applying to as many places as I can since pharmacy is really competitive. I'm hoping I'll get into U of T this year but I'm not sure if my GPA/PCAT scores are competitive enough. If not, I'll be rewriting the PCAT at the end of the summer. Next year I'll also be applying to Wayne State and Albany's college of pharmacy, as well as U of T again, if things don't work out this year.

About the CAP program, earlier this year I met with one of the admissions people at Waterloo's pharmacy school. From what they said, they're giving the kids in the CAP program some surety/guarantee that they'll get into pharmacy. So basically, these kids don't have to worry about whether they'll get in or not, like we do...all they have to worry about is completing the prereqs, having some minimum average, and completing 200 hours (I think) of pharmacy volunteer work. I was pretty upset that this program started once I completed first year, because I had the high school marks/pharmacy experience they were looking for in CAP program applicants and I think I would have stood a decent shot as an applicant. However, from what I was told, us non-CAP kids shouldn't really worry about all of that since we'll still stand a good shot at UW Pharmacy as long as we meet the GPA cutoff and have good work/volunteer experience (and meet all the other requirements!).

In terms of why they started the CAP program, I think it was to take a load off the backs of hardworking high school kids who are dedicated to pharmacy and deserve a spot in the pharmacy program. Also, this program is similar to the pre-pharmacy programs they have in the States, so I'm guessing that's where they got the idea.

Starting this thread was a great idea...and yes, we should definitely make this thread bigger than the U of T 2010 thread! :D

Hi guys,
It's so good to see this post!!!
I think the AP is VERY important. If you haven't worked hard on the AP last time, please take your time and write it carefully next time.
I think they want to see your motivation and excitement for pharmacy.
I think my letter of reference and my AP got me the interview.
I'm not very smart to be honest.
Good luck y'all.
I am still waiting for the result. I would definitely apply again if I didn't get in this time. Man, I wish I had a chance to re-do the interview LOL.

is anyone missing prerequisites,

I might have to take biochem next summer.. is this common for people to get conditional acceptances if they are missing courses?

and does it matter if you're missing the lab component for a couple prerequisites? (the bio chem and cell bio at my school doesn't have a lab component to it)

It's interesting that you make this remark about the pros of Waterloo cause if I remember last year you were crazed about the nice UofT building (remember all those pics you showed me). Grrr......

dude, you gotta also see UW's pharmacy building! Maybe I have to start showing you pictures of that too ;)

dude, you gotta also see UW's pharmacy building! Maybe I have to start showing you pictures of that too ;)

+1

UW's pharmacy building is absolutely beautiful! It even looks great from the inside, with those huge windows and all the natural lighting :)

+1

UW's pharmacy building is absolutely beautiful! It even looks great from the inside, with those huge windows and all the natural lighting :)

I still haven't seen the real building, but from the pictures and videos it looks really nice :)
But I also love UofT's pharmacy building... not a big fan of being in a super busy place such as downtown though :( (call me old-fashioned if you want) ;)

I just had an important question regarding the referance (pharmacist referee) that Waterloo needs.Does the pharmacist have to do the referance form electronically or they have to send a hard copy by mail???the reason i'm asking is that my pharmacist is going on vacation during the application time... so i was wondering whether she can fill the form via internet and just send it electronically!!!! i'm soooo worried about this now

I just had an important question regarding the referance (pharmacist referee) that Waterloo needs.Does the pharmacist have to do the referance form electronically or they have to send a hard copy by mail???the reason i'm asking is that my pharmacist is going on vacation during the application time... so i was wondering whether she can fill the form via internet and just send it electronically!!!! i'm soooo worried about this now

i would recommend by hand because my 2010 reference was completed electronically and i still got rejected considering i have pretty good stats...but i think electronically is fine...

ps. my reference was not a pharmacist...

Hey Guys,

I think I'm applying to the 2012 cycle for waterloo. I'm not to sure about my GPA though :(. I'm applying for the round after aswell though while I work on improving my marks

GPA: ~3.33
Will be done all the required course by this coming april (Hopefully lol)
Pharmacy Experience ~100hrs

Any advice?

Hey Guys,

I think I'm applying to the 2012 cycle for waterloo. I'm not to sure about my GPA though :(. I'm applying for the round after aswell though while I work on improving my marks

Any advice?

Go and take a look at the 2011 thread... many people posted their stats.

There were people with 3.7+ who got rejected... and also people who got in with lower gpas... hard to tell :(

Hey Guys,

Any advice?

How did you do the 100 hours of pharmacy Experience? I cant find it anywhere in waterloo....

Thank you for the reply! Admissions are so confusing I have tried to find a trend of who gets accepted but it seems kinda random. I geuss just try get the best grades you can and hope for the best.

To answer your question. It was really hard to get pharmacy experience! I had another volunteer position in the hospital I'm at....and I kept calling the coordinator and finally I got into the pharmacy. I've actually been trying to find a job in a pharmacy and that even harder :(! To anyone who does..consider yourself very lucky. Any one have any advice who has a job in a pharmacy?

Looks like the 2011 applicants got their acceptances today! Kinda makes me think ahead to what things will be like for us next year at this time.

I've had some experience working in a pharmacy. I volunteered at a pharmacy for two months during the summer when I was in grade 11, and they hired me for work in September when I started grade 12. I worked from then until August, when I left for my first year of university at UW. I just finished first year and I'm back home, but they weren't able to hire me this summer due to cuts so I've been going back as a volunteer. I've known the pharmacist (who is also the manager) there since the day I started and she's agreed to write my reference letter for UW next year (if things don't work out for U of T this year). Finding a pharmacy that is willing to take students (especially high school students, since I was in grade 11 when I started) was really tough. It took a long time, but luckily I came across this pharmacy & the pharmacist was willing to take me as a volunteer. Good luck to those who are looking for pharmacy experience...its worth the search! :)

Hey guys,

I'm currently studying biochem at the U of Guelph, heading into my third year this September. I'm going to be applying for the 2012 admissions cycle for Waterloo for my first time later this year...

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how important having had past jobs is to the admissions profile. I saw on another post that there's five slots for actual paid jobs on the AP, but I've only ever had one job ever :(. I've gotten about 130 hours of pharmacy experience and lots of volunteer work though, and my grades are good. It's really only this area that's got me really concerned. Thoughts? :confused:

Oh and to answer the person's question about getting pharmacy experience... I got mine through a co-op placement in high school. It was really hard to find though and my co-op advisor and I literally tried every pharmacy in Guelph before we found one that would take me. In my opinion, it's pretty difficult to get any pharmacy experience, especially if you don't live in a really big city. Guelph being a sizable place actually only has about 11 pharmacies so it was pretty tough to find anything. In fact after I finished my co-op placement, my pharmacist relocated her store to Richmond Hill, so there's even fewer here now than before. :(

That being said, I do think that Waterloo puts at least some emphasis on having past experience at a pharmacy. When I emailed them at one point concerning this issue, they basically replied that finding experience in a pharmacy is admittedly tough, but not impossible and urged me to continue looking.

Hey guys,

I'm currently studying biochem at the U of Guelph, heading into my third year this September. I'm going to be applying for the 2012 admissions cycle for Waterloo for my first time later this year...

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how important having had past jobs is to the admissions profile. I saw on another post that there's five slots for actual paid jobs on the AP, but I've only ever had one job ever :(. I've gotten about 130 hours of pharmacy experience and lots of volunteer work though, and my grades are good. It's really only this area that's got me really concerned. Thoughts? :confused:

You're fine. It doesn't matter.

Just get that letter of reference from your pharmacist and you're good.

Does anyone know as to how many seats will be available in the fall for Waterloo?

Thanks

Hey guyss!

I really hope this year will be a good one for all of us. I'm really excited to be applying (for the second time), since I've been through it and kind of know what to expect. I've got two more prereqs to finish up next year (my 3rd year). For those who don't have a lot of pharm experience, I really recommend to keep looking because it gives u an idea of what you'll be doing - and sometimes it's not what you imagine... so having that experience will allow you to confirm if you actually want pharm and will give u an advantage over those who don't. Having said that, don't stress out if you don't have a lot because the program itself has co-op and you'll be able to get the hands on experience.

Last edited:
hey guys so i applied for my first time and was accepted, my stats are:

-graduated with degree in biomedical with 80%
-about 6 months work as pharm technician
-some athletic ECs
-really good interview
-good written test
-volunteer work with handicapped

i would say if you have 75% avg, pharmacy experience, completed all of the pre-reqs, and can handle yourself in an interview you have an excellent chance of getting in. good luck guys! let me know if u have anymore questions.

Hey Everyone,

I got accepted to wayne, waterloo, and toronto so I'll put my stats up.

degree - Biology and Chemistry 4 yr degree finished

cGPA - 3.74 (~82%) [although this seems like a good gpa note that all of my pre-req courses, the ones you have to enter in one by one in both UW and UofT apps were all in the A range]

extra-currics - volunteer in nursing home 5 yrs, tutor 2 yrs, two jobs (non pharmacy related plus paid tutoring) multiple club leadership thoughtout university including international groups such as UNICEF etc, volunteer in two hospitals, ... i can`t remember it all, needless to say I filled up every slot on the AP.

Interview - I was a little nervous since I drove there in the morning and thought I would be late. I stammered a bit but I still think I had solid answers. My written test was good.

Just as a side note, i had MINIMAL pharmacy experience but a reference letter from a pharmacist. I did not work as a pharm tech, did not volunteer, but just shadowed three different pharmacists.

I also have three friends from my school who are not on SDN but also applied to UW. They did not get interviews because one had a C and a couple B-s for the pre-req courses, and the other did not have a reference letter from a pharmacist and less experience that me (which was barely anything). All in all, I think a balance among your AP needs to be maintained.

So while there is still time, go through your resume and transcript and see what needs improvement. If you have a bad pre-req RETAKE IT!

Good luck to all!

Hey guys! I applied and didnt get in, but got to the interview, so I know that's where I need to improve.

Keep an eye out for apps to re-open in Sept for Jan 2011 admissions. Waterloo hasnt filled their potiential spots since the school opened, and this is what they did last year to fill spots, and in the end, the 2013 class still was missing 3 students to fill the 120 total positions.

Hey guys! I applied and didnt get in, but got to the interview, so I know that's where I need to improve.

What were your stats that got you an interview? thank you!

Hi you guys, I'm new to this website. but anyways, let me introduce myself. I'm from the University of Toronto Scarborough Campus. and I just finished first year. I applied to U of T pharmacy but I didn't get in because my RC section was 19% whereas everything else was pretty good. I did do the PCAT again this june, but I haven't gotten results back.

I have a question though. I'm still contemplating whether I should apply for U of T next year (because I just found out I can still satisfy the biochem requirement as the Biochem course is offered as a third year course at UTSC) or should I apply to UW and U of T in third year. Any ideas?

Hi you guys, I'm new to this website. but anyways, let me introduce myself. I'm from the University of Toronto Scarborough Campus. and I just finished first year. I applied to U of T pharmacy but I didn't get in because my RC section was 19% whereas everything else was pretty good. I did do the PCAT again this june, but I haven't gotten results back.

I have a question though. I'm still contemplating whether I should apply for U of T next year (because I just found out I can still satisfy the biochem requirement as the Biochem course is offered as a third year course at UTSC) or should I apply to UW and U of T in third year. Any ideas?

Welcome to SDN!!!

I got rejected from UofT this year for the VERY SAME reason... but I'll be applying to both schools this coming year.
In my opinion you should try for both schools as soon as you finish the prerequisites for each... it's also weird that you can only get that biochem course in third year at UTSC !

By the way, how was the June PCAT? I didn't do that one, i'm only doing the Aug PCAT and I hope that they don't make it harder than the Jan PCAT that I wrote.

UW School of Pharmacy 2012 applications open up on Aug. 16th!!

can someone explain the early application? is it for co-op?